1. Meri
    Meri February 2, 2011 at 8:26 am | | Reply

Thank you for the wealth of information! For 13 years I never once thought there would be a cure…Last year though, with all the exciting news coming forth, I had allowed myself to think, “Maybe.”

Now, reading the information from the summit and info from JDRF, it seems my hopes may be unfounded. It has been a hard lesson for me to learn. Now that I am online, I know more. I read more. I get more information. I have to be careful not to read too much into it.

Don’t worry, I’ll still carry that seed of hope with me…I’ll just be careful not to overwater it.

2. EaglesGirl
    EaglesGirl February 2, 2011 at 9:03 am | | Reply

Thank you for another excellent post, I definitely come to your blog to keep up with the cutting edge research, devices, management, etc of diabetes! You are a wealth of knowledge and I wish all endos would read your blog. However, I’m bummed about the lack of communication and advertising surrounding this event. I live in the area and would have LOVED to attend. I follow a ton of diabetes members and bloggers on Twitter and even follow the JDRF on Facebook and didn’t see anything (other then yesterday/today after reading your post and going to the actual JDRF web page).

3. The Summit
    The Summit February 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

[...] » JDRF Research Summit: The Who, What, When and Why of Type 1 … As reported yesterday, the JDRF Capitol Chapter hosted their first annual research summit in Bethesda, MD, on Saturday. Just days before, the staff reported that they were expecting more than 400 people. Not bad! The line-up included . [...]

4. Roselady
    Roselady February 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm | | Reply

Nice to hear a synopsis when we can’t travel to the conference ourselves! Thanks!

5. AJ
    AJ February 2, 2011 at 8:22 pm | | Reply

Great article but I am very disappointed the first problem challenging PWD that you list is “lack of national healthcare system.”

I wonder if those PWDs in Canada, Great Britain, Cuba etc would say that their national healthcare has been a positive thing for PWDs.

I’d bet my house the answer is NO. Restrictions and problems caused by the insurance companies now are bad, but if we let the Federal Government make our decisions we would be in a world of hurt.

As a PWD for 33 years and someone who has worked in the VA system, I’d say that the clinical staff is wonderful overall, as are most employees and the patients the VA serves are the most deserving of any of us for what they do for our country. However, THE SYSTEM, run by GOVERNMENT does not work. It is horrible. I pray we don’t all have that first problem you list solved for us and let the Government tell me how to treat my diabetes. At least now, there are some options if your insurance company says no. But if Government runs the show, only one option and opinion will count and it won’t be ours, or our MDs it will be a bureaucrat with minimal clinical skills.

Our system is broken for sure, but it is the best one in the world. We need to make some changes but don’t depend on the government to make them for us.

6. Laura
    Laura February 3, 2011 at 6:24 am | | Reply

Amen to the above commenter. I lived as American in Canada for ten years. The first year of my residence the doctors were on strike!~! The practice of paying cash to get the medical treatment you needed was common. If you did not have the money then you just waited and waited and ….. Really NOT a good system at all. These people at the conference need to do their homework and get a dose of reality. We need reform but not government controlling how to treat my diabetes.

7. My thoughts on JDRF and the “c” word… « My Sweet Life

[...] of the diabetes online community. These thoughts have certainly resurfaced because of the recent JDRF Research Summit held by the Capitol Chapter of JDRF and because of a recent Children with Diabetes forum discussion [...]

8. Delia Whitfield
    Delia Whitfield February 4, 2011 at 9:06 am | | Reply

Thank you for the GREAT article and for attending the Summit!!! As a JDRF Capitol Chapter staff member and an individual living with type 1 diabetes, it was truly awesome to see this event come to fruition. I really appreciate all of the coverage, comments, & feedback! I did want to let Eaglesgirl know that this was a Capitol Chapter event (so it wasn’t listed on the National website). We did have it posted on our Chapter website where people registered and posted it on our Capitol Chapter Facebook page. I hate that you didn’t hear about it and want to make sure that you are on our Chapter email distribution list so that you don’t miss out on opportunities like this in the future! Please feel free to contact me directly at dwhitfield@jdrf.org so that I can ensure you get added to list or visit our Chapter website http://www.jdrfcapitol.org.
    Thanks again everyone! Look forward to next year!!!

9. melanie robbins
    melanie robbins February 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm | | Reply

I’ve heard that you are not only the most amazing JDRF promoter but that you also have the most amazing sofa in your living room!!! Your Aunties and Uncle Willy too are so proud of you Delia Bee. You have found the answer to the question “ Why did I get Type 1?” To lead others to a future without it!
    Go girl!!! We love you. Who knows where this will lead. Love, Mellie Belle