1. Cara
    Cara February 24, 2011 at 10:51 am | | Reply

Awesome. I’m glad to know that you are willing to fight to keep yourself doing what you love to do. And thank you for your service. :)

2. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay February 24, 2011 at 10:54 am | | Reply

awesome, thanks for your service and for your story!

3. Sarah
    Sarah February 24, 2011 at 11:09 am | | Reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your service to our country!!!

4. Lorraine
    Lorraine February 24, 2011 at 11:14 am | | Reply

Fantastic! Good for you for persevering. Thank you for your committed and continued service.

5. Tweets that mention » In the Marines with Diabetes (Semper Type 1) - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: In the Marines with Diabetes (Semper Type 1) http://bit.ly/gK9b4z #diabetes [...]

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 24, 2011 at 2:20 pm | | Reply

Nick, thanks for working hard for yourself and others who will (hopefully) follow you. And thanks for all your work on our behalf.

7. Wendy
    Wendy February 24, 2011 at 2:52 pm | | Reply

Thank you for your service…you are a genuine inspiration!

8. Kathy
    Kathy February 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

Hoo-rah!

9. jeff
    jeff February 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

If that’s you on the MTB you’ll be fine! It’s perfect way to keep fit while controlling diabetes.
    Good Luck!

10. Mel in New Zealand
    Mel in New Zealand February 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm | | Reply

My Mr 10 who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last year wiull be very heartened by your post. He loves everything military and for the past year has thought that he can’t be an ‘army man’ when he grows up. Fingers crossed that if he wants to he can.

11. Teresa
    Teresa February 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm | | Reply

Thank you for working so hard to stay in the Marines!! I have type I and work as a therapist with many kids with type I. Over the years, many kids have wanted to go into the military and have struggled with the general “sorry, you can’t”. Your story gives me hope that the “no” won’t always be there! Thank you for all you do and good luck as you walk the journey of diabetes!

12. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins February 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm | | Reply

What an inspirational story, Nick. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. Good luck to you as you get back to active duty, and to echo what other commenters have said: Thank you for doing what you do for us.

13. Rafael
    Rafael February 25, 2011 at 7:23 am | | Reply

Congratulations on your continued service; your story is definitely inspiring. I would further argue that your background as a logistician will prepare you exceptionally well and help you succeed with your diabetes. As diabetics (I prefer the term too), we constantly need to think of inventories, rates of depletion, contingency plans, supply chain management; in short, many of the same concepts you probably deal with on a day-to-day basis in your job. It takes a lot of discipline, forethought and organization to be a successful diabetic; I believe you have the tools and preparation to be among their ranks.

14. Todd
    Todd February 25, 2011 at 10:07 am | | Reply

Congratulations on being able to stay in. I was in the US Air Force and aquired Type 1 in Jan of 98. I fought the battle to stay in for about a year and half and I lost. I worked on A10′s aircraft. The VA had taken care of me. I got a BS in business on the VA tab, so it has been a blessing in a way.

15. Windy
    Windy February 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm | | Reply

Loved getting to read Nick’s story! Great post! Thank you Nick for your service and your example of perseverance for all diabetics!

16. keith
    keith February 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm | | Reply

Wow, what a great story!

17. Mom Lozar
    Mom Lozar February 28, 2011 at 9:56 am | | Reply

So proud of you son. Keep up the good fight and keep writing, it is a valuable resource to others.
    SEMPER FI, Mom

18. Laurie Briscoe
    Laurie Briscoe February 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

Semper Type 1! I congratulate you in your service! I myself am a Type 1 diabetic (diag. in 1991 when i was 28). I also have family members in the service. Thank you for continuing and wanting to continue in the Marines.

19. cody lee stieglitz
    cody lee stieglitz February 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm | | Reply

i hope people read this my name is cody stieglits im 16 ive wanted to be a marine since i was 6 i was diagnosed with type one diabetes 2 years ago i read 2 lines from this my heart started racing i got hope i was told by several people in my family my friends and a marine that i couldnt be one guys is there any way i can enlist im serious its been my lifes dream to enlist can someone tell me how? am i even elligible for the reserves?

20. Bob Cavagnaro
    Bob Cavagnaro March 1, 2011 at 7:50 am | | Reply

Very strong statement for all of us who have diabetes and want to do everything without restrictions…As stated by others “Way to make us proud.”

21. Storytelling Techniques For Effective Business Communications » Q&A With Amy Tenderich, The Voice Behind One Of The Top Healthcare Blogs, Part II

[...] U.S. Marine Nick Lozar penned a guest post with this opener: “The United State Marine Corps. The few. The proud. The [...]

22. Jason
    Jason May 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

Sir,

I am happy to hear that someone else has dealt with this and was able to stay in. I am currently diagnosed about 3 yrs ago and I will be at 13 yrs on 28 may 2011.
    If possible I would like to get more info on the process and challeges you encountered to stay in as I will have to start this battle in about 3 months to be able to saty in. I am Gunners Mate In the Navy (GM1) and would really like any guiadance and advice you may have on this.

Thanks for your time and inspiration.

Jason

23. Dylan
    Dylan August 16, 2011 at 1:17 am | | Reply

thats awesome. i graduated high school in 2010 but in 07 i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. i was pissed. my dad was in the air force and i couldn’t join anything. i really wanted to be a marine but as soon as i dropped the “d” word they stopped calling. including the Navy Officer who came in my house gave me a quiz, and after I scored high he asked me if I needed to say anything and I said the “d” word and he just said “oh” and left and i never heard from anyone again. it sucks but im glad someone made it. your an inspiration

24. CJ Wrigght
    CJ Wrigght September 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

I am 15 and I was recently diagnosed with type 1. I want to be in the marines so bad but i dont think that will happen..

25. Nathanael
    Nathanael October 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm | | Reply

i just turned 21 yesterday and have wanted to join either or marines/army my whole life, but was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when i was 14 but am in great health. they tell me i can join though, when i have buddies in the service who tell me all the time they have a bunch of guys in their units with diabetes and over seas and such. if you are able to help or give me any information about me being able to join while having it that would be greatly appreciated. and thank you for your service to our country

26. carlos
    carlos April 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm | | Reply

es bueno saber que no te rendiste la diabetes no es un fin ni un comienso es una enfermedad que requiere ajustes a nuestras vidas gracias por tus servicios por cuidar de nosotros semper fi marin

27. jimmy
    jimmy May 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

I’m a 25 year old Sgt in the Marines as well and was just diagnosed as Type 1 3 weeks ago after walking into the ER with a BS of 495. At 7 years in I was and still am planning on pushing through to full retirement. Is there any advice you can give that hepled you out more than anything else? Im currently in a non deploying command but cant wait to get back out to the fleet and hopefully deploy again.

28. Danielle
    Danielle August 31, 2012 at 7:48 pm | | Reply

Hello im danielle im 12 i was diagnosed wen i was 5. Ok im american and i want to join the chinese navy .hopfully i will but im diabetic can i join the navy

29. Rishi Malyala
    Rishi Malyala April 17, 2013 at 4:54 am | | Reply

Thanks for good advice, I am 15 years old who was diagnosed t1 diabetic 4 months ago. I don’t lose my hope on my future and will become a solider just like you

30. Dylan Swanson
    Dylan Swanson May 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm | | Reply

I am 12 years old and I have just been diagnost with type1diabedes and my life long dream is to be a Unted States Marine. I thought that dream was lost after I herd I have type 1 but because of your story now I know I can still do that thank you for your story and for your service. SEMPER FI.

1. Jimmy
      Jimmy May 8, 2013 at 11:25 pm | | Reply

For everybody considering the military that’s a type 1, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this story is about a man who was already in the military just like myself. He, being an officer, managed to pull more strings than I could and managed to stay in. Type 1 diabetes is not compatible with active duty miltary, therefore you aren’t able to join. If you’re in and have type 1 then your most likely gonna get medically separated or medically retired (like me). Good luck and keep your head up!!!

31. Shavaughn
    Shavaughn May 22, 2013 at 10:45 am | | Reply

Congrats!!! You’re post is the FIRST positive post I have found linking Diabetics and Marines (or any of the branches of duty towards the country). I am mentally exhausted with persons thinking that having diabetes is a disability. I was diagnosed with diabetes at 11 months of age and I (and my family) DO NOT find it a disability. Thank you for this post, it shows me that persons thinking are now changing.

32. Ruby
    Ruby July 6, 2013 at 9:59 pm | | Reply

Thank you for serving our country. God bless you.

33. Sabrina
    Sabrina April 6, 2014 at 6:55 am | | Reply

Wow, thank you Nick! My husband has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes within the past month and is active duty in the Army. It was a huge shock for us, my husband also is fit and healthy. We have also been faced with all the hardships too. We are ready to fight and do whatever we have to do so that he can continue his active military career. Thank you so much for this article! And thank you for your service!