1. Gisele
    Gisele February 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm | | Reply

My almost 14-year-old son has gone to Camp Nejeda in NJ for the last 4 years. It is his favorite place in the known universe. I cannot say enough good about the staff and the program. Michael has learned so much there-not only about diabetes care but about how to accept his diabetes. He says it is the one place where he feels completely normal. And he has a blast!

The first time we left him at Nejeda, my husband and I were nervous wrecks. It was also the first time we went on a vacation without him since his diagnosis (went to NYC and also stayed at a bed and breakfast northern NJ. We wanted to be close “just in case”. John and I were neurotic parents in desperate need of a vacation- we live all the way in south Jersey!). When we picked him up, the first thing he said was,”I’m coming back next year!”

If you can get your child to diabetes camp, by all means let him/her go. It will be an experience your child will never forget.

2. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera February 23, 2011 at 6:02 pm | | Reply

I just wish there were diabetes camps for those of us diagnosed as adults!! LOL!

3. Sysy
    Sysy February 24, 2011 at 7:19 am | | Reply

I never went to a diabetes camp because I was a stubborn child. My sister went with our other sister (they’re a year apart in age and everyone has always thought they were twins). It was a great experience for them and when they came back I noticed how much more in tune our non diabetic sister was with our needs. She was always happy to get juice for us or she’d suggest to play a game with our sister when she had high blood sugar and needed a distraction. She also was more empathetic to what diabetics go through. She would forgo an extra cookie so my sister wouldn’t have an extra one that she didn’t bolus for and they’d call it a deal.

So I saw the camp experience as being a really positive one for my diabetic sister and non diabetic sister. It’s great that siblings are encouraged to attend many of these camps :)

4. Elaine Miller
    Elaine Miller February 25, 2011 at 6:10 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know of a camp type or similar experience for young adults 19 or older?

5. Elaine Miller
    Elaine Miller February 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know of a similar type of experience for young adults 19 or older?

6. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog February 27, 2011 at 8:48 am | | Reply

I can’t wait for my daughter to be old enough for camp! This summer we get to do a one day visit, but next year I think she’ll be old enough.

I have a long list of diabetes camps in the US & Canada and would love to hear families’ experiences.

(http://www.d-mom.com/resources/diabetes-camps/)

7. Bob Cavagnaro
    Bob Cavagnaro March 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the interesting comments and I think the camp participation says a great deal about the importance of educating and family involvement. I was diagnosed over 30 years ago and would loved to have gone to this especially during the early period of my type 1 diabetes.