1. kdroberts
    kdroberts February 8, 2011 at 7:28 am | | Reply

Interesting you post this. My son, who is 2, was asked to be in the Natural History Study that TRIALNet are doing and I struggled with it since he really can’t make a choice. After talking to various people, and my son who kind of understands that he has to have blood taken, we are now just figuring out a time to take him in. I don’t know how I would address things if it actually involved him taking experimental treatments though. It’s one thing when you can give your consent for something that will happen to you but very different when you have to give it for somebody who has no real idea of what the consequences.

2. Tweets that mention » Clinical Trial Research: Your Chance to Oust the Mouse - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: Clinical Trial Research: Your Chance to Oust the Mouse http://bit.ly/fm68Pj #diabetes [...]

3. Jeff Hitchcock
    Jeff Hitchcock February 8, 2011 at 8:51 am | | Reply

The greatest ideas, the most brilliant science, and all the money in the world doesn’t matter unless we, the families impacted by type 1 diabetes, participate in clinical trials.

4. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie February 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm | | Reply

Thanks for posting this – good stuff!

Fair Winds,
    Mike

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm | | Reply

I’ve participated in several trials, and I fully believe the effort is worth it, because each time you help the trial you improve the chances of a better treatment.

Allison, I didn’t see either of the shortcuts you mentioned. And searching with diabetes is a crap shoot as it returns all sorts of trials.

6. emily
    emily February 9, 2011 at 10:34 am | | Reply

I’ve participated in the DEFEND study through Tolerx. 3 years out of my diagnosis, and I’m still making some insulin! I am a huge supporter of research, and the wise Jeff Hitchcock eloquently said this,

“We all want a cure for type 1 diabetes. And we want the cure now. Tho show our support, we donate time and money to organizations that fund cure-related diabetes research. We participate in walks and bike-a-thons. We share our stories with friends and family members, and make videos imploring or elected officials to increase federal funding for diabetes research.

But all that research funding is of little value unless we, the community of people living with Type 1 diabetes, participate in the research by getting involved in clinical trials. Without us, the best researchers with the brightest ideas cannot make progress. Without us, there can be no cure.”

7. kathy
    kathy February 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm | | Reply

I am participating in a clinical trial for islet cell transplants. It has been a tremendous opportunity for me. I was able to be insulin free for two years and now only use about 8 units/day. This part is great, of course. The other great part is feeling like am doing something important for the cure research. I know that the researchers are learning from both the peaks and valleys of my experiences with this. Also the care I receive is comprehensive and personal. I would highly recommend participating in any of these trials for these reasons. My study is funded through the JDRF. Thanks for posting this. Its so important for people to learn about the opportunities that are becoming available.

8. infidelity in marriage: Clinical Handbook of Couple Therapy, Third Edition | infidelity in marriage

[...] » Clinical Trial Research: Y&#959&#965r Opportunity t&#959 Oust th&#1077 Mouse … [...]