1. EaglesGirl
    EaglesGirl February 28, 2011 at 7:05 am | | Reply

Awesome awesome awesome!!! Finally! I love hearing about these things from you. 2 -3 years isn’t that far off considering… well considering.

2. Mauro Amoruso
    Mauro Amoruso February 28, 2011 at 7:22 am | | Reply

Hi, Amy
    I’m Mauro…
    I have been working for “Zero” and for “Zero Android Interface” I would like to collaborate with Mr. De Paula for his Project, If he wants I’ll help him on his Amazing Idea!
    ..W la innovation…

3. Lorraine
    Lorraine February 28, 2011 at 7:24 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for bringing us more information about this Amy. I have seen it in the past, but the info available is so thin and I’ve been curious. You and Gil have filled in some of the blanks. :)

4. Anne
    Anne February 28, 2011 at 7:40 am | | Reply

good luck! I like his goal to integrate with everyday devices and to incorporate glucagon. I thought a big problem with glucagon, though, was that it is not stable in liq form for very long?

5. Jessica
    Jessica February 28, 2011 at 9:10 am | | Reply

I find this very exciting, too. Thanks for posting about it.

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell February 28, 2011 at 9:31 am | | Reply

This sounds like a great idea that might benefit from cooperation with other teams/companies working on similar concepts. I do hope that Gil makes the component interfaces open, so others can build on what Pancreum has available at any point.

I’d love to see JDRF AP team define the hardware and software interfaces that must be used between glucose sensors, insulin and glucagon delivery devices. If they did this, then there’s a good chance that an AP user could choose a sensor device from company A and insulin/glucagon devices from company B.

7. Mike Hoskins
    Mike Hoskins February 28, 2011 at 10:07 am | | Reply

Wow. This is very interesting, Amy. Great reporting, and thank you so much for sharing this with us (not to mention Dr. Kowalski!).

8. mcityrk
    mcityrk February 28, 2011 at 11:30 am | | Reply

Interesting, but 2-3 years seems overly optomistic with a minimally funded company and small staff. Even larger entities working on single components of his overall system typically need that length of time to get throgh prototype design, to clinical trials, to FDA approval, let alone time to get the communities attention for a product launch. Good luck though!!

9. Roselady
    Roselady February 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm | | Reply

A glucagon pump! How great! I love the innovation in the diabetes community — so inspiring! Such a clue for us all to do something great with the cards we have been dealt! I’m already hoping that my kids are inspired to do something great in the diabetes community while growing up with a diabetic brother (their all under 10 — but I’m sure their brains are already thinking!)

10. Wendy
    Wendy February 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm | | Reply

WOW! So inspiring to see where technology is headed!

11. nicole
    nicole February 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm | | Reply

WOW thank you for sharing I love to see what is out there on the horizon for D technology. Keep up the great work guys!!

12. Gil DePaula
    Gil DePaula February 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

Hi mcityrk,
    As Amy mentioned, the 2-3 years time frame only applies once the company gets fully funded and fully staffed.
    Regards,
    Gil

13. Bob Cavagnaro
    Bob Cavagnaro March 1, 2011 at 7:47 am | | Reply

As a diabetic your posting is very informative and the pump has been something I always push off as a type 1 diabetic. Now that I’m in my 50′s an alternative may be in my future.

14. Jerry
    Jerry March 1, 2011 at 11:51 am | | Reply

“Interoperable diabetes components”
    “open platform of specs”
    That alone would be awesome. There is just so much exciting stuff he is talking about. I hope he at least provokes better work from the other players in the electronic diabetes management market.

15. ted
    ted March 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm | | Reply

How about a 4th component that measures activity and adjusts basel rates according to activity level.

Is the algorithm self adjusting, customizing to the individual – such as with using a neural net kind of protocol?

16. Laura
    Laura March 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm | | Reply

Sounds wonderful but with this administration’s FDA approval process I think I won’t even see such a thing happen in my lifetime. Can you say disappointed and angry?

17. Gil DePaula
    Gil DePaula March 9, 2011 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

Hi Ted,
    Thank you for your input. A 4th component is probably not needed because activity level is usually detected when (and how fast) the glucose level is dropping (measured via the CGM, and maybe a requested BG meter reading to confirm). At that point the basal rate for both insulin and glucagon would be adjusted.
    Yes, the algorithm will be a “smart”/”learning” one, using several neural network principles. Whether it will autmatically adjust basal rates without human interference or not, will depend on its accuracy and FDA approval.
    Regards,
    Gil

18. Gil DePaula
    Gil DePaula March 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm | | Reply

Hi Laura,
    The development cycle and FDA approval process (for this administration or previous ones) will not take so many years. Stay in touch and you might have a nice surprise in just a few years. :)
    Cheers,
    Gil

19. Lorie Givens
    Lorie Givens March 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

This sounds wonderful. I’m not a diabetic but my son was. His bs bottomed out during the night and I found him the next day. He had been dead for hours. Nothing I could do for him when I found him. He was 15…2 weeks before his 16th birthday. I would love for something like this to be on the market. No parent should find their child like I did. Having a device that could automatically adjust bs would be flipping awesome!!!!!!! Love it Love it Love it

20. Gil DePaula
    Gil DePaula March 13, 2011 at 7:28 am | | Reply

Hi Lorie,
    I’m SO sorry for your loss.
    Sincerely,
    Gil

21. Julia
    Julia April 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

I think your device is awesome, but….. Am I reading correctly, that you would need to wear a cgms, an insulin pump AND a glucagon pump? That is three devices! I’m sure our teen would not agree to wear it, unless two of the devices were implantable. Two Omni pod devices? Maybe if you can miniaturze and make those devices very small…. We want noninvasive technology. And i believe we are not alone in our thinking. I still cannot fathom why the insulin pump has to be the size that it is.

22. Gil DePaula
    Gil DePaula April 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm | | Reply

Hi Julia,
    Thank you for the nice complement as well as for the very important input on the size and number of devices.
    We’re working very hard at making everything as small as technology permits!
    Does your teen currently wear a pod and a CGM? At this point in time I can assure you that ALL devices in the Pancreum Genesis Artificial Pancreas System will take roughly the same real-estate as an OmniPod pod + Medtronic Guardian REAL-Time CGM, for example.
    As far as the number of devices: Unfortunately for a REAL artificial pancreas a CGM, an insulin pump and a 2nd pump for a substance that brings the BG level up (such as glucagon) are needed. But we’re trying to make it simpler and/or more affordable.
    Also, there’s no need to use all 3 devices. You can pick and choose among them and the PDA software will configure itself automatically for whatever your choice was, for example, just the insulin pump!
    Thank you again for your input!
    I wish you and your teen the very best!
    Regards,
    Gil

23. Tracey
    Tracey April 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm | | Reply

How about pancreatic cancer? Is this something that could be used for those of us with pc?

24. liver
    liver December 31, 2011 at 4:51 am | | Reply

that s great, but when it will be available for everybody all over the world????

1. Gil DePaula
      Gil DePaula December 31, 2011 at 10:27 am | | Reply

It depends on the V.C. funding we’re negotiating, as well as the FDA/CE/etc. We think that, once properly funded/staffed, we can finish the design, do all clinical studies, and file with the FDA/CE/etc within 3 years. After that the ball will be on the feds’ side of the court…
      Cheers,
      Gil

25. MySituationIsType1
    MySituationIsType1 January 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm | | Reply

Gil,

I have been dreaming and talking about this technology for years. The glucagon is the key to closing the loop! f I had the money, it would already be invested.

I want to sell it!

1. Gil de Paula
      Gil de Paula January 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm | | Reply

Hi MSIT1,
      Thank you for the compliment on our future products.
      Take care,
      Gil

26. tracey
    tracey September 26, 2013 at 11:57 am | | Reply

I am sure the technology is there to make it happen.I am not so sure the companies that have the r and d monies are into any thing that will effect their bottom line .think greed here ,a dollar per finger stick.What incentive is that?Sorry to be so cynical but we have had the tech for this stuff for years all it takes is a need or nich that has enough clout or money to get people in gov. involved. God forbid the standard approach .
    type 1 for 35 years

27. Hal Joseph
    Hal Joseph February 2, 2014 at 9:05 pm | | Reply

I found the pancreum website about 6weeks ago. Very intriguing concept.
    We all await.
    I called the company and was very surprised to make contact with one of the founders.
    The next greatest innovation will be inhaled insulin possilbly available next summer?
    Then truly rapid insulin for use in pumps.
    The weakest link to any pump is the infusion device and it will be interesting to see how pancreum deals with that issue.
    Best of luck Pancreum