1. Sysy
    Sysy January 26, 2011 at 6:52 am | | Reply

I have been writing about this very thing.

lol, I test at stoplights, too.

During my more irresponsible days..many years ago…I even tested and gave insulin shots while driving 70 miles per hour on our 55 mph highway…it made me feel talented, I think. Now I cringe in horror at the thought!

2. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog January 26, 2011 at 7:07 am | | Reply

Oh good, I’m not the only one who has moments where I want to punch someone in the nose.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

3. Kelly
    Kelly January 26, 2011 at 8:01 am | | Reply

I often want to punch someone in the nose. I need to get back into the frequent testing habit. gahhh

4. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter January 26, 2011 at 8:06 am | | Reply

Testing in the car is certainly better than driving while hypoglycemic. Yeah, I know I’m supposed to test before I turn the key, but what if the numbers good then and then drops. My daughter still hasn’t forgiven me for that drive into the Loop a few years ago, cars whizzing around us on the expressway, looking for our exit while she pricked my finger, dabbed the test strip, and handed me the glucose tablets. I did buy her a cello.

The point is that we try really hard all day, every day to do everything right, and we come up short. And it’s very easy for people who only deal with this In Theory to judge us harshly when we fail. Easy to find fault, hard to find solutions. Especially as a premenopausal woman with LADA, which means we’re trying to hit a moving target.

On a practical note, my latest DE suggested a temp basal of 1% starting one hour before exercise, bolus for carbs unless they are to raise BG, and test, test, test, before, during, and after. I’m still trying to get this right, but yesterday, I came closer.

5. Mary Dexter
    Mary Dexter January 26, 2011 at 8:20 am | | Reply

Testing while driving is better than driving while hypoglycemic. Yeah, I know I’m supposed to test before I put the car in gear, but sometimes that number is good only to precipitously drop once I’m on the road.

Also, it’s easy for people who deal with diabetes only In Theory to judge. Harder to come up with solutions. My latest DE suggested a temp basal of 1% starting one hour before exercise and extending to an hour afterwards. The nutritionist suggested bolusing unless the carbs are meant to raise BG. I am still trying to get this to work perfectly, but yesterday I came a bit closer. Being a premenopausal female with LADA means I never get a permanent solution because everything changes so.

6. Meagan Esler
    Meagan Esler January 26, 2011 at 8:44 am | | Reply

Loved this!!! Thanks for adding humor to diabetes issues. It can be overwhelming without it. I too test at stoplights (occasionally) and I’m darn good at it!!! :)

7. Tweets that mention » That Testing Habit - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine and Marc Bowers, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: That Testing Habit http://bit.ly/fOWzVJ #diabetes [...]

8. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins January 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

Great post, Amy! Glad to hear I’m in good company as a testing-while-driving PWD, especially at stop signs and lights. Of course, that’s usually when too little blood gets sucked into the strip or some other error happens, forcing another test that never seems to be possible in the time before it’s your turn to start driving again. Oh well. Yes, punching little kids probably isn’t the best thing. But, at least we can use our imaginations… :)

9. June S
    June S January 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm | | Reply

As a PWD who was diagnosed back in the old days (1972) … I am happy to report that I do not ever neglect to test. It was SO scary not be able to test back then that I’d rather feel safe from lows and highs. I guess that’s the only advantage I can think of to having been diagnosed way back then!

10. Andre
    Andre February 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm | | Reply

This is great, thank you! I’m going to forward this to my dad who’s a diabetic…

11. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson February 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm | | Reply

Amy – I totally chuckled at the urge to sock someone. Isn’t it funny when and where our pent up frustrations can jump up at us?