1. Sysy
    Sysy January 25, 2011 at 6:10 am | | Reply

I’ve had bouts with insomnia and didn’t want to take anything and not feel lows at night so I went by this thorough list of recommendations and found it fixed my sleeping issues. I’ve gone 5 years without any problems going to sleep:

2. Laura
    Laura January 25, 2011 at 10:10 am | | Reply

Word of caution regarding antihistamines in older adults over 60 years — Benadryl (diphenhydramine) should be used with caution in older adults as it can cause dizziness, low blood pressure, and too much sedation. Diphenhydramine is on the list of meds that are potentially inappropriate in older adults. In older adults this can lead to increased risk of falling, especially when combined with other medications. As a pharmacist I encourage anyone who is considering a sleep aid, even over the counter, to consult with a pharmacist to review all of your therapy and evaluate the risk vs the benefit.

3. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell January 25, 2011 at 12:10 pm | | Reply

I use Melatonin and I’ve found it works well for me. No after effects the next morning, and it’s just as easy to wake up to my Dexcom or my pump.

Which actually means I sleep through the alarms about 30% of time — when IS Dexcom going to give us configurable alarm sounds??

4. riva
    riva January 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm | | Reply

Actually turkey is supposed to contain an ingredient that’s sleep-inducing, but I haven’t tried it. Candied yams on the other hand don’t work ;-)

It’s interesting you wrote about this right now as I am on a week’s worth of insomnia. Terrible, I am following my same routine as always: get into bed at a reasonable hour, read to make me drowsy but I just can’t drop off, or I do and wake up an hour later, zing. Cause: unknown. So, I am trying melatonin. Taking 1 or 2 tablets of 3mg before going to bed, my doctor advised it and said it takes a few days to build up in your system. So far can’t really tell. Either it’s helping or pure exhaustion has let me sleep thru the past 2 nights.

Otherwise, ambien is my drug of choice, always works and I wake up clear-headed. And while I am always slightly nervous about taking a sleeping pill for fear I won’t wake up should I have a low, I find if I need to wake up, I do. That said, as in everything diabetes, it may be different for everyone.

5. Joanne
    Joanne January 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm | | Reply

Parents of CWD struggle with this too… Our sleep cycles get knocked way out of balance, but it’s scary to take something that will put you too far under to hear your child’s cry or a dexcom alarm. I usually lie awake for almost 2 hours before I can fall asleep, then I pretty much wake up every other hour out of habit.

6. AmyT
    AmyT January 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

@Riva – actually, turkey is supposed to contain Melatonin! I never ambien personally, but lots of friends swear by it. I might take the leap on my next cross-country trip. Travel always messes with my sleep!

7. Tweets that mention » Sleeping Aids and Diabetes - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, Carrie Schneider. Carrie Schneider said: » Sleeping Aids and Diabetes – DiabetesMine: the all things …: People with diabetes certainly aren't immune to… http://bit.ly/gPEI1H [...]

8. Liz
    Liz January 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm | | Reply

I have used melatonin on and off for years to aid in sleep.
    Depending on the time I wake up I adjust the dose.
    If it is before 2 a.m. I will take about 1.5 mg and if 2 p.m. I take half of that dose. I have a tendency to be groggy in the morning if I take it after 2:30. Otherwise, it works very well for me.

Another trick is to not drink caffeine after mid afternoon and to create a sleeping ritual, like a relaxing tea and read something that is not too exciting before bedtime.

Meditation helps with sleeping, among other benefits such as immune system enhancement, less fatigue and a sense of calm.

Many think is it tryptophan an amio acid in turkey that causes sleepiness. Here is a link to a nice article explaining the process; small carb snacks help the tryptophan get into the body and also the idea of eating larger amounts, relaxing with friends and add some wine in and the combo helps us to be drowsy.

DiabeticLiz

9. susan f
    susan f January 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm | | Reply

I’ve been diabetic for over 25 years, and have been taking sleeping pills for the last 10+ years. The drug I take is not a sedative; it’s an old school antidepressant that just knocks everyone out. It used to take me hours to fall asleep, and then I couldn’t stay asleep for more than 45 minutes or so at a time.

The drug is like a miracle to me; I’m healthier and happier. And the best part? It’s never ever prevented me from waking from a low. Yes, I sleep through my pump’s vibrations until it audibly alarms, but I would do that regardless. And when I get sweaty low, even without the cgm, I awake.

Oddly I can’t fall asleep if I am below 70 even with the drug. If I am lying in bed for more than an hour, I always get up and test and 99% of the time I am hovering just below 70.

Don’t be afraid or demonize sleep aids; for me, they truly made me a better person. The drug I take is trazodone. In theory it’s non habit-forming, but I’ve been taking it for so long I’m sure it would be a rough transition if I had to stop.

10. Aimee Hamilton D.C.
    Aimee Hamilton D.C. February 1, 2011 at 8:45 pm | | Reply

I get the opportunity to work with a great deal of people with type 2 diabetes that are having trouble sleeping. More often than not it’s a problem with their circadian rhythm and their adrenal gland. This is a problem that requires a saliva test done most often by quest diagnostics. If the test shows an abnormal circadian rhythm it’s important to support the connection between the brain and the adrenal gland which will help sleep.

The second and more common problem is that the adrenal gland is broken down to a point where it can no longer produce enough cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone, but it also helps to regulate blood sugar at night when you’re not eating. If your blood sugar drops at night and you can’t produce enough cortisol, your body will produce adrenalin instead. This will wake you up and cause your blood sugar levels to spike.

Try to eat some lean protein before bed and find a practitioner that understands the adrenal gland. Hope this info helps someone.

11. Latest over the counter sleeping aids news – Remedies for Sleep IssuesJoey Arak Blog | Joey Arak Blog

[...] » Sleeping Aids and Diabetes – DiabetesMine: the all things … [...]

12. jOSEPH
    jOSEPH June 20, 2011 at 6:55 am | | Reply

This is exactly what I was looking for . thanks.

13. john
    john September 19, 2011 at 9:27 am | | Reply

Great post, very inspiring.

14. Sleep Deprivation | Treatments for Sleep Deprived | Sleep Deprivation Cures and RemediesSleep Deprivation

[...] 5-Hydroxytryptophan, Diphenhydromine, Doxylamine Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Question by SaveOne: What are some of the names of the OTC sleeping aids that work the best? Best a… Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!WordPress › [...]

15. Sleep Deprivation | Treatments for Sleep Deprived | Sleep Deprivation Cures and RemediesSleep Deprivation

[...] Melatonin, 5-Hydroxytryptophan, Diphenhydromine, Doxylamine Add your own answer in the comments! Question by SaveOne: What are some of the names of the OTC sleeping aids that work the best? Best a…ine, Doxylamine Add your own answer in the comments!WordPress › [...]

16. Lazarus Labs
    Lazarus Labs July 17, 2012 at 10:38 am | | Reply

I would also strongly recommend everyone to consult with doctor before taking any sleep aids. You must be aware of their usage and side effects to avoid overdoes. Anyway, thanks for the great tips and information Allison!