1. Tweets that mention » New “Smart” Diabetes Software from Medtronic Identifies Trends & Recommends Actions - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine and 2diabetes, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: New “Smart” Diabetes Software from Medtronic Identifies Trends & Recommends Actions http://bit.ly/e0ILEr #diabetes [...]

2. carol
    carol December 13, 2010 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Interesting and a step in the right direction. But still lacking a lot on the face of it. Does it account for activity levels? Can you throw out sensor readings where you know the sensor has gone wonky? The recommendations displayed are very vague. Would love to see something more specific like “consider upping your lunchtime bolus ratio from 1:12 to 1:10″. Until it’s in my hands as a patient, it probably won’t do me much good. On the activity levels, would be cool to have another data point — heart rate — to go into the algorithm some day. Just sayin’ :) .

3. Julia
    Julia December 13, 2010 at 9:58 am | | Reply

Thanks for this! I guess we will stick with Minimed. By the time Animas integrates their pump with Dexcom, Minimed will probably be close to release of their comfort sensor. We have always preferred the MM pump; just not crazy about their sensor, main objection the too large and uncomfortable introducer needle.

4. Jen
    Jen December 13, 2010 at 10:00 am | | Reply

all I care is: does it work on a mac? (or the newest Windows for that matter)
    To have such a program I would hope that medronic would have updated the program for compatibility. I’d would love to utilize computer support pumping, but I have a mac (and roomates have the newest windows), so for now, I’m out of luck

5. Michael
    Michael December 13, 2010 at 10:13 am | | Reply

I wish they would make their software compatible with a Mac!!

6. Cary
    Cary December 13, 2010 at 10:59 am | | Reply

I’m still shocked these companies are building installable applications and not Web Apps. Pop in a cellular modem ala Nook or Kindle and all your diabetes devices automatically upload these tiny bits (it’s barely any real data compared to video) to a web app; hire a small team of Product Managers, Developer and UX/UI and create one killer web app to compliment the re-release of all glucometers + pumps + CGMs with the ability to auto upload data to the web.

Lots of moving parts, but really not that hard for one of the larger companies to put together. Let’s get serious about building products that are a big step forward. The only question is who pays?

7. Medical Quack
    Medical Quack December 13, 2010 at 11:39 am | | Reply

This is great to have the device do the data input and the next level for effective use by MDs is to integrate into a medical records system and for the patient, a PHR for sure. MDs are stressed for time as it is now and don’t have the time to look at several sets of software so the key is to get this rolled into an electronic medical records system so both the patient and MD benefit with the information. More programming and software but what healthcare needs, more collaboration with innovation.

8. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 13, 2010 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

This is a good first step, though I’d like to see the software in action before giving it a big thumbs-up.

My concern is that other companies will start to produce similar type of analysis software and then the stove piping between different diabetes software will just be taken to a new level. I believe data standards are crucial, because no endo wants to learn more than one piece of software so that can analyze the many device combinations their patients will be wearing.

I’d love to see a working group of diabetes device makers agreeing on a set of interoperability standards for data transfer. This may be boring for the average consumer, but it’s critical if we’re going to see widespread adoption of this type of software.

9. Wendy
    Wendy December 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

Whoa. This is COOL! The future looks bright!

10. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 14, 2010 at 2:34 pm | | Reply

I noticed that the White House is calling for data interchange standards for health data. See http://www.govhealthit.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=75615.

I think the diabetes device community could lead the way here, which is always better than having standards imposed on you after the fact.

11. The realist
    The realist December 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

I’m not going to pretend to know anything about all the different softwares out there, the standardization of transfer protocols or open technologies, but unless it is imposed by the FDA (which I don’t think it will be for diabetes technology) it will not happen, but why would it. When was the last time you paid for your diabetes software? The answer is probably never.

If you had to pay for it, would you buy it? Sure, some would, but most wouldn’t. None of these companies are making money directly from their software. Now, do you think medtronic wants it’s awesome new software working with Ani/Dex’s? Of course not – it gives them a competitive advantage that pushes physicians and patients to them. And, the last I checked, competition is a good thing for innovation.

For those who want more out of this technology and others, it isn’t as easy as getting a core group of people in a room. I’ve got three letters for you F.D.A. We aren’t dealing with App’s here (although technically Medtronic’s CareLink is a web-based app), we are dealing with medical devices. And it isn’t just a device, it isn’t just a pump any more, it is a system with a sensor, a transmitter, and a pump. These are now systems that are increasingly more and more advanced and complex.

If you want software that can micromanage your care with regards to recommending carb ratio adjustments you are getting very close to a closed loop. This is super complex and is still years off. As complexity goes up and responsibility for one’s health is placed on a machine, so does regulatory risk. Additonally the current super conservative state of the FDA is not promising as they have they have cracked down on everyone like the Iron Curtain. Please note that the FDA is here for our safety, protection, and, while they are a necessary evil, there are different levels of evil.

Having one “app” to rule them all is great if you don’t have an integrated system or if you are a doctor. Do doctors even worry about the software or is it their staff?

I think we are already seeing a widespread use of this software, and I think this step, since it should make it easier (by aggregating data and trends the physicians would otherwise miss or be hard pressed to find) for physicians to interpret, will help more doctors adopt it. However, I wonder how long it will take to become available for the rest of us.

Only time (and the FDA) will tell.

PS: This is my realist commentary for those that don’t get it, but please don’t stop dreaming and sharing your ideas. The companies are listening it just takes a lot longer because of the FDA.