1. Tweets that mention » GlucaGo for Instant Hypo Treatment - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, Sue Clark. Sue Clark said: RT @DiabetesMine: GlucaGo 4 Instant Hypo Treatment via DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog – … http://tinyurl.com/2bvud4x [...]

2. Sysy
    Sysy December 15, 2010 at 6:54 am | | Reply

This is really exciting news. It sounds like there are still plenty of hurdles, but, none impossible to get over. Nice :D

3. reyna
    reyna December 15, 2010 at 7:38 am | | Reply

This is a great post. As a type 3, caring for and ensuring the safety of my number 1, type 1 kiddo Joe, I have found the current Glucagon kits to be prohibitive in instructing lay personnel how to use them. The needle, the reconstituting, the drawing up of the now constituted medication can be very confusing AND then you add in a life-threatening hypoglycemic event…well forget about it.

I have been hoping to see something, anything, along these lines to hit the market. I have heard of the other products you mentioned years ago. This one is new and holds promise as well…God Speed!

4. Meri
    Meri December 15, 2010 at 8:43 am | | Reply

This was extremely exciting to read! Amazing technology that will make all the difference in the world. I’m rooting for you guys!

5. Rush Bartlett
    Rush Bartlett December 15, 2010 at 10:02 am | | Reply

Thanks for your support! If you want to reach out to us directly dont hesitate to contact me at Rush.Bartlett@LyoGo.com.

6. Petra
    Petra December 15, 2010 at 10:53 am | | Reply

You article, a review of their website, and the pitiful prototype make it clear that LyoGo don’t know much about lyophilization or sterile injectable drug manufacturing.

This is a fun grad school project, but the engineering challenges are immense. I’d take these guys seriously once they have convinced at least one supplier to take on the project.

7. Irene
    Irene December 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

Thank you for sharing this news. This looks nice, good luck.

8. Melitta
    Melitta December 15, 2010 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

This is really positive news! Let’s hope better technology is on the market soon.

9. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog December 15, 2010 at 6:30 pm | | Reply

As the parent of a school-aged child, I too am looking for improvements in the delivery of glucagon that makes it easy for teachers and staff to give it when required without fear or confusion.

For what it’s worth, I have begun using expired kits to actually show school staff how to mix it and inject it (into fruit) and the process is actually simpler than it seems. I was amazed when I actually used one for the first time how quickly the tablet dissolves in the liquid.

For me the issue is dosage. The steps are easy to follow, but I have to label our kits with “mix all, inject half.” I am looking forward to glucagon, whether in it’s current form or in a new one step form, that has the correct dosage for children.

Our insurance covers multiple kits a year and we carry one at all times in her pump supply bag and have three stashed at school: in her classroom, in the music room where she would likely be during a lockdown, and in the office with the rest of her supplies.

It’s a shame that there is a short shelf-life and that kits expire before use. But I continue to look at the purchase of glucagon kits like home or auto insurance: You don’t want to ever have to use it, but you’re glad you have it when you actually need it.

And for naysayers that claim there isn’t a large enough market, if there was a cost-effective and easy to use product I would bet that many people who don’t carry glucagon currently and SHOULD would purchase it more often. If manufacturers of glucagon want a larger market, then all they have to do is work with insurance companies to have them covered at a copay that is affordable to more patients.

10. Jim Paige
    Jim Paige December 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm | | Reply

OK, I must be missing something. Why would a pwd pay $100 for something that does the same thing as a sugar cube or some crackers? Are pwd supposed to be that stupid?

11. Petra
    Petra December 16, 2010 at 10:35 am | | Reply

Leighann has it absolutely right. Delivery is everything. You can buy an ampoule of Epinephrine and a syringe to go with it for $3, but an EpiPen also costs $100.

Glucagon kits are user-unfriendly and risky, so it shouldn’t be surprise that it is a modest size market. An easy-to-use pen will make a huge difference.

Amy’s previous story on Enject’s GlucaPen, has an embedded table that makes it clear that Severe Hypo is a much bigger issue than Severe Allergy, but EpiPen sales are 3X Glucagon Kits. The difference? Delivery.

P.S. Leighann, according to their website, GlucaPen will have a Jr version with the correct dose for kids.

12. Anne
    Anne December 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm | | Reply

I probably wouldn’t buy it if I can’t dose it myself. I.e., I hope it’s not a “one-dose-fits-all” solution. What about people who want to use mini-doses etc.

The real problem that needs to be solved is to figure out how to make glucagon more stable in solution.

13. Type 1 Tuesday: 12.28.10
    Type 1 Tuesday: 12.28.10 December 23, 2010 at 7:35 pm |

[...] Tenderich of Diabetes Mine: GlucaGo for Instant Hypo Treatment (Always glad to see potential improvements in the delivery system of glucagon for severe [...]

14. Scott S
    Scott S January 3, 2011 at 5:41 am | | Reply

Also of note is the fact that on January 3, 2011, Roche announced it was acquiring a company known as Marcadia Biotech, which is an Indianapolis-area startup by some former Lilly scientists which is working on a glucagon analogue that would be pump-compatible (meaning, it would work in a bi-hormonal pump). They still have a bit more development ahead of them, but anything that brings some competition to this staid, uncompetitive market would be welcome news.

15. joltdude
    joltdude June 15, 2013 at 6:06 am | | Reply

Also Intelliject still is on the radar for a glucagon autoinjector as well.. Guessing they are going to probably offer it to Sanhofi to market it, similar to the Auvi-Q epi injector…