1. Tweets that mention » Consider Yourself Cubed! - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: Consider Yourself Cubed! http://bit.ly/dPys3g #diabetes [...]

2. J
    J December 3, 2010 at 4:42 pm | | Reply

How much sugar should a type 2 diabetic have per day?

3. Steve Prelgovisk
    Steve Prelgovisk December 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

I’m using this idea for a Science Fair Project for my 8th grade class.

4. Kendra
    Kendra December 6, 2010 at 6:47 am | | Reply

I dunno, Amy. This post mostly made me want a Snickers! Hahaha. ;) (And it also made me wonder if sugar cubes would be a cheap way to treat a low…4g per cube, same as a glucose tablet.)

5. Hope Warshaw
    Hope Warshaw December 6, 2010 at 7:42 am | | Reply

All –
    I write this as a dietitian/diabetes educator: While the content of “Consider Yourself Cubed” is cute, it?s simply not accurate. Yes the way ?sugars? (note is it sugars, not sugar) are reported on the Nutrition Facts panel (per FDA regulations dating to 1994) is very confusing. The sugars on the Nutrition Facts label are both added sugars and naturally occurring sugars (note the plural). These sugars are defined by FDA as all mono and di-saccharides – that’s one and two unit sugars. Yes, unfortunately, as the ?cubed? writer suggests, a lot of people think this is all added sugars ? the white granulated stuff. It?s simply not.

Yes, all the ?sugars? are part of the total carbohydrate count on foods. When it comes to regular soda ? this cubed concept works b/c the sugars in regular soda are 100% added sugars, or high-fructose corn syrup. But, when it comes to an orange or strawberries, to insinuate that it?s the same ?sugar? is simply not correct. The “sugars” from fruit, or sucrose, provides energy, fiber, essential vitamins and minerals.

So is the concept that people with diabetes shouldn’t eat any carbohydrate? Hopefully not. The research simply doesn’t reflect that severely restricting carbohydrate is the path towards health or glycemic control. I encourage you to read my guest post on Diabetes Mine: http://www.diabetesmine.com/2009/05/carbohydrate-how-much-or-not-to-munch.html

Thanks,
    Hope Warshaw, RD, CDE

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 6, 2010 at 1:23 pm | | Reply

What a great idea, it really gets the point across. When you compare fruits and vegetables to other things it’s amazing. I wonder what a burger would look like.

7. Jackie
    Jackie December 8, 2010 at 1:52 am | | Reply

reminds me of eat this not that, they do comparisons to and sometimes it’s just crazy.The soda example really hits home!