1. Tweets that mention » Snacking with Diabetes: Best of the… Rest? - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: Snacking with Diabetes: Best of the… Rest? http://bit.ly/bE5PUx #diabetes [...]

2. Jan
    Jan November 5, 2010 at 7:56 am | | Reply

Pecan Pie flavored pecans…… I know you said nuts can be a problem for you but these are bolus-worthy. Crush and put over butter pecan vanilla or any caramel type icecream…….. 70/30 combo bolus over 1.5 hours works for us. Whip cream too, it’s almost free.

3. Jan
    Jan November 5, 2010 at 8:03 am | | Reply

P.S. Sorry misread post and omitted the “healthy” part,LOL. How about spicy black beans (recipe on back of Goya dried black beans package) only add two Jalapenos when you fry onion and omit some of the water and add diced tomatoes in puree). Put these over low carb or otherwise tortilla chips, top with Montery Jack (spicy jack best) or cheddar and melt under the broiler. Top with fixings, salsa, diced red onion and sour cream. High in fat, possibly, depending on he chips and type of cheese (you can use reduced fat cheddar for this), but healthy and low in carbs.

4. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay November 5, 2010 at 8:05 am | | Reply

Yes, dried mango has a lot of carbs but if you get the kind without any sugar, it is much less. (And I think the mango quality is better because they just use the sugar to make the bad stuff palatable, in my opinion.) And for some inexplicable reason, it really doesn’t hammer my BG. The same goes for most dried fruits (no sugar added) for me. Of course it depends on how much of it you eat!

The best dried mango I have found is at Whole Foods, but Trader Joes also sells it. Rainbow Grocery (local store) also has it but it is actually more expensive than WF.

5. Beth Fitzwater
    Beth Fitzwater November 5, 2010 at 9:13 am | | Reply

Favorite chocolate is Lindt extra Dark 85% cocoa bar. Only 2 carbs, 1 protein per square (10 squares in large bar). I take 1 or 2 squares each day as my chocolate vitamin! Does have 4.5 gr fat per square, but so worth it in small quantities! [Other % Lindt bars have much more carbs - only 85% is low-carb.]

6. Douglas (Watkins)
    Douglas (Watkins) November 5, 2010 at 10:37 am | | Reply

I just love vegetables all by themselves

7. Pubsgal
    Pubsgal November 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm | | Reply

BOB: Guacamole with celery sticks or toasted low-carb tortillas. I also had some baba ganoush today (like a hummus, but made with eggplant instead of chickpeas) that was amazing. Cherry tomatoes. Packaged kale chips – they just don’t work well made at home for me. Dry roasted wasabi edamame. One site that has recipes I enjoy is askGeorgie.com, a lot of her recipes are pretty carb-friendly and healthy. I like her roasted bean recipes for snacking. I’m also a total nut fiend.

BOW: Green & Blacks 70% dark chocolate, hands down. 17 grams (half of their mini bar) is about 8.5 grams of carb, and it’s a pretty satisfying amount. I also like Clemmy’s ice cream – it’s sugar-free (sweetened with xylitol and maltitol), but rather heavy on the fat content. My daughter likes it, and she usually doesn’t like my sugar-free dessert options.

8. Anne
    Anne November 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm | | Reply

Here’s an easy dip for vegetables: Add some dill weed to plain Greek yogurt. You can put in a crushed garlic clove or two if you like.

9. June S.
    June S. November 7, 2010 at 7:06 pm | | Reply

Amy,
    When I was diagnosed (way back in 1972) we Type I’s were given strict Food Exchange diets. I was allowed 6 cashews, I recall, as one “fat exchange.” When I got on Humalog and Lantus and did the whole “carb counting” thing rather than the strict Food Exchange diet, I decided to go to town with nuts. Now, EVERY DAY, almost 365 days a year, my lunch includes a 6-ounce container of yogurt, 3 ounces – you got that right – 3 OUNCES of nuts, carrot sticks and water. I am slender and happy as a clam since I always craved nuts and could not eat them. I’ve been eating them at lunch for at least 10 years now! For reasons I cannot explain, the fat in the nuts does not raise my BG. Give me pizza, and it’s a whole other story!

10. Cindy
    Cindy November 9, 2010 at 2:25 am | | Reply

I know it shouldn’t maybe be a snack, but sometimes I eat it between my meals. It’s my favourite diabetic friendly low carb bread from Josephs Bakery. You can use it to prepare a healthy meal with chicken and vegetables, but you can also eat a piece of it with a slice of tomato. Always works for me.

11. Brian
    Brian November 14, 2010 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

Has anyone tried Clemmy’s Ice Cream? It is a REAL Sugar Free Ice Cream. It is also lactose free and gleuten free and really tastes great. They had six flavors at the Ralphs I go to and their Ice Cream O’s and I got the Coffee and a box of the O’s and it was great. Diabetics have no problem eathing this! Look at Clemmysicecream.com or go to their FB page and try it! I’ve missed ice cream!

12. David Berndt
    David Berndt November 29, 2010 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

I found the deserts made to go with the low carb diets pretty good, and at least they were low in the bad sugars, but when I left that diet, I found that as a diabetic nuts and yogurt – in portion – were the BOB, and the BOW for me were bagels, breads and cakes (not whole grain, but I find it hard to get single serving who grain foods, and have no time to bake).