1. Jasmine
    Jasmine November 18, 2010 at 6:39 am | | Reply

No wonder my endo’s office is always so crowded and it’s difficult to get an appointment there! (I live in Philly)

I hope today’s panel goes well here. Thanks for letting us know about it.

2. Julie Deardorff
    Julie Deardorff November 18, 2010 at 9:01 am | | Reply

Great tips, Amy. In addition to creating yoru own news, also, friend and follow reporters on FB and Twitter and get a sense of what they like to write about. Don’t overcontact them –otherwise we ignore everything because it’s just too much info. Stories have to have a broad angle plus a little tension helps. For example, I’m writing on the “rift” between Type 1 and Type 2 which Amy and other bloggers have already covered. But it will be less about the rift and more about why the two diseases are so misunderstood. My email is jdeardorff@tribune.com if anyone wants it but understand that I get over 500 emails a day and I open them all (except obvious spam.)

3. Julie Deardorff
    Julie Deardorff November 18, 2010 at 9:03 am | | Reply

Oops. that’s “your” not “yoru.”

4. Pearlsa
    Pearlsa November 18, 2010 at 9:41 am | | Reply

Great tips Amy

5. Michael Hoskins
    Michael Hoskins November 18, 2010 at 2:41 pm | | Reply

Thanks for these tidbits and updates, Amy. Sorely needed. We in the news business are pressed with ever-crunching deadlines and limited space, and the turnover is so high that the young reporters just don’t have an understanding most times of what they’re reporting on. Diabetes is no exception, and often just dumbed-down to the point of being inaccurate. I just dealt with that today from the daily newspaper where I used to work, and had a conversation with my former editor about it. The first story got the types mixed up (just typing this makes my head hurt…), and then in a secondary school policy story about medications they dropped diabetes mentions all together and the whole story someone focused only on cough drops. These things are so common it’s scary, and it’s good to know someone is focusing more attention on it. Thanks for sharing this!

6. Karen
    Karen November 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

Great post, Amy…did you happen to catch the Food Network’s “My Life in Food” the other night? Talk about crazy uneducated media! All about the Tree of Life in Tuscon, AZ, which is a treatment program for “if you have the culture of death disease called diabetes, we can CURE you with raw food veganism.” The program did not talk about T1 or T2, but claimed that their participants become cured of D and go off of all of their medications. And it was on the Food Network!!! I thought it was an informercial. I’m almost tempted to boycott the FN, but don’t think I’ll last for very long. Wondering if you saw it, and what are your thoughts?