1. Joanna
    Joanna November 1, 2010 at 10:01 am | | Reply

Tallahassee (Team Type 1 founder, Phil Southerland, hometown) is having an event on World Diabetes day to send insulin and diabetic supplies to Rwanda via Rotarian Action Group/Team Type 1 (the Tallahassee plan) and also to provide scholarships for children with diabetes to attend diabetes camp in our local area through our hospital, TMH, Diabetes Center.

Florida State University, FAMU, lots of students, grownups, and community leaders are involved.

We want to make people AWARE of DIABETES and consequences.

We have a local bakery donating cupcakes with the circle of blue – and our mantra is “You can have your cake and eat it too, EXERCISE if you do.

Everyone who knows Phil – knows he liked an occasional Snickers bar — but would ride his bike to keep glucose in control!!!

2. Joanna
    Joanna November 1, 2010 at 11:38 am | | Reply

World Diabetes Day – > Tallahassee, Florida – the hometown of Team Type 1 founder, Phil Southerland – is “teaming up” to help Rotary/Team Type 1 deliver insulin and diabetes supplies to Rwanda (Rotary will donate on behest of TT1) as well as raise funds to support scholarships for children with diabetes to go to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital Diabetes Center diabetes camp.

HOW? Lots of gyms involved – Indoor Cycling Relay (Sweat Therapy Fitness), Super Group Ex class (Premier Health and Fitness), Florida State University (FSU) Women’s Track Team, FSU Cycling Team, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) School of Pharmacy, TMH, and
    Tallahassee’s most famous bakery, THE CAKE SHOP, is selling cupcakes with the blue circle of diabetes with all funds going to support the CAUSE!

A trendy bar near FSU Campus is going to brew blue beer and sell Blue Cupcakes, Fermentation Lounge, on a “Drink Responsibly” night.

Our theme– “You can have your cake and eat it too, EXERCISE if you do!”

All events have donations and all are about exercise.

3. Elizabeth Furreboe
    Elizabeth Furreboe November 1, 2010 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

You are not alone living with diabetes. Test your blood sugar and take care of yourself. There are kids just like you all over the world.

4. Wendy
    Wendy November 2, 2010 at 8:56 pm | | Reply

To My Diabetes Friends,

I hope you know that you are not alone. I have diabetes too and sometimes it’s hard. I want to help you however I can. I am just a kid and I don’t have alot of stuff, but I hope you get the insulin you need because I will be sad if you don’t. I will pray for you.

Your Diabetes Friend,
    Adalyne

5. Jen
    Jen November 3, 2010 at 12:15 pm | | Reply

Keep smiling, kiddos. The Type 1 community in Canada is thinking about you! Live your lives to the fullest and don’t let diabetes bring you down.
    xo Jen

6. Christy Dolinger
    Christy Dolinger November 4, 2010 at 7:36 am | | Reply

We just moved from Rwanda last December due to our son’s Type 1 diagnosis. Resources are low as you know, thank you for helping! This is wonderful!

7. Christy Dolinger
    Christy Dolinger November 4, 2010 at 7:44 am | | Reply

I already posted once, but like I said just moved from there. There is an excellent endocrinologist that just moved to Rwanda from Tyler, TX a year ago. He is involved with medical missions there. I would love to give you his contact info, but can’t find an e-mail or number for the Rwanda initiative on this site.

8. Debi Henson
    Debi Henson November 4, 2010 at 10:08 am | | Reply

I have had Type 1 diabetes since 1965, I am 50 now. I was five when diagnosed. Back then testing was done at home using urine, a test tube, an eye dropper, and a blue tablet. I also used U-20 insulin, made from beef and pork, but with all its impurities, it ate into the fat on my legs and left big ‘sinkholes’ in my thighs. Fortunately they grew back in after about 20 years. I will be sending some spare test strips and a few meters to you very soon! I have a big soft spot for diabetic children, and love you all.

9. Jill
    Jill November 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm | | Reply

Great effort and I am happy that I am able to contribute…I have about 50 meters that I will send to you. My own son was diagnosed almost 14 years ago so I know all to well what the children in Rwanda are going through…I applaud everything you’re doing to provide resources and support to these kids! I know they will benefit greatly from all that you’re doing.

10. Pieces of My Life
    Pieces of My Life November 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

So glad to have a good cause to donate my spare meters to! Amy, I have 2 that are unused, but also 3 or 4 that were used (some fewer than 10 times.) Can I donate those as well?

11. johndavid
    johndavid April 21, 2011 at 12:08 am | | Reply

hi this is john it is nice to see your webiste……
    ==========================================

No Win No Fee Scotland

12. Midas Craft
    Midas Craft January 8, 2013 at 4:04 am | | Reply

Eckee provides a comprehensive, in-depth collection of expert content, trustworthy, timely health and medical news information.