1. Kim
    Kim November 10, 2010 at 6:53 am | | Reply

I really loved this post; probably because I love Juvenation so much. :) (I mentioned the site in my blog today, too!) As Red mentioned, the sense of community and support that sites like this one provide have immeasurable value. And I’m so thankful that they’re out there.

2. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog November 10, 2010 at 7:46 am | | Reply

“If you took 50 moms who take care of children with diabetes, and 50 people who live with diabetes, their combined knowledge would be greater than the smartest endocrinologist in the world.”

This is exactly what I was trying to express at a recent support group meeting. We would not be using insulin pump therapy if it were not for the knowledge of the online community. We would not have tried and true advice from those who are in the trenches.

The collective knowledge of my peers has been an invaluable resource which I wish I had tapped immediately upon my daughter’s diagnosis.

3. Laura
    Laura November 10, 2010 at 8:05 am | | Reply

Well….50 people with diabetes may be able to share advice but find a cure? I seriously doubt it. There is no way I would ask an online community to advise on changing basal rates over my good endocrinologist…sorry but that decision is based on knowledge of me, my diabetes, my individual needs and science. I don’t want 50 different types of input on that. Having some advice about where to wear a pump is way way different than finding a cure. 50 people can help fund a cure for sure or we can advocate but no way can we replace our endocrinologists. No thanks.

4. Andy Bell
    Andy Bell November 10, 2010 at 9:00 am | | Reply

Excellent!! :)

5. Tweets that mention » Crowdsourcing Our Diabetes Smarts – Thoughts from Red Maxwell - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, 2diabetes. 2diabetes said: http://goo.gl/v62Z » Crowdsourcing Our Diabetes Smarts – Thoughts from Red Maxwell …: Red Maxwell is father of… http://bit.ly/d5hGzk [...]

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell November 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Red (and Amy) I think yesterday’s DBlog-Day is a prime example of crowdsourcing. Over 160 posts with focused thoughts and tips about living (or thriving) with diabetes.

I think there could be many other opportunities. For example, I know there are enough geeks like myself in the diabetes community that we could collaborate to write software that would help people understand the reasons for their blood sugar levels more easily. If we pulled data from pumps, meters, and CGMs with some basic input (exercise, stress, etc.) we could develop a diabetes dashboard — that would be an excellent tool to improve lives.

7. Red Maxwell
    Red Maxwell November 11, 2010 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Hey Laura- You bring up an interesting idea. But I was merely trying to illustrate the concept with an extreme comparison between 50 moms vs. 1 endocrinologist. I just want to point out that it’s not a choice between the crowd and endocrinologists. In reality, it’s not an “either-or” situation. In order to get there, we’ll need to do it together.

Too often, we have run into diabetes caregivers who have knowledge of diabetes only through their text books and lectures and they discount the input from the patient or the patient’s mom. Endocrinologists and scientists need to tap into the knowledge of the crowd. They are essential to better therapeutics and the discovery of a cure, but if we want to accelerate the process we need to understand that we have ALL got to play a part.