1. Brent
    Brent October 20, 2010 at 7:02 am | | Reply

Good report Amy!

This is promising, but won’t be a long term fix until they get that whole immune system thing worked out. On that front, any news on the Faustman project?

Thanks again for your great blog,

Brent

2. Michael Ratrie
    Michael Ratrie October 20, 2010 at 8:49 am | | Reply

I’m with you Amy. I hope the research funding can continue.

Fair WInds,
    Mike

3. Peter
    Peter October 20, 2010 at 10:52 am | | Reply

This is great news. Thanks for the article. I really hope this research can continue. It is so important. I am a huge proponent of stem cell research.

4. Jim
    Jim October 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

As a type 1 diabetic for over 25 years, I follow the research for a cure for diabetes very closely. Over the years, I have seen countless stories about how “close” the medical community is to finding a cure. This story is nothing more than another example of how “close” we are to a cure that will, in the end, prove disappointing. And its a liitle more than that, too. It also posits that we should use stem cells from “discarded” embryos to continue looking for the cure. To put it mildly, this approach is ghoulish and completely unnecessary in light of recent developments made in stem cell science. Nevertheless, embroyo science continues to little to no effect. You can learn many, many things in science if you throw away any sense of morality in quest for learning. In fact, many things have been “learned” in just this way (the Tuskegee syphillis experiment is the best example of “learning” things that proved to have little, to no, consequence). The question in scientific experimentation should always first turn on whether the experiments have some basis in morality. For one, I would not welcome a “cure” discovered this way because there are things in life more valuable, and more precious, than my health.

5. Mike
    Mike October 20, 2010 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

Jim,

Morality, by its definition, is different for every single person on this planet. A blanket statement such as this is like me saying you are immoral since you root for the Yankees.

Mike

6. Anne
    Anne October 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm | | Reply

thank goodness there was a stay; but it certainly does not make for a good working environment to be in a position of financial uncertainty.

interesting update, Amy

7. Jim
    Jim October 21, 2010 at 7:55 am | | Reply

Mike -
    I sure hope there aren’t six billion different, ever shifting defintions of morality that are predicated on one’s own peculiar set of circumstances.

8. David J. Webb
    David J. Webb October 22, 2010 at 7:49 am | | Reply

What ever happened to the research that showed that the beta cells are actually produced in the spleen and migrate to the pancreas? (I think it was out of the University of Toronto). That research was an accidental discovery. But it showed that anyone that had a Spleen removed would be a type one within 5 years. A lady doctor of research discovered it when doing a project on mice for an entirely different study about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Shouldn’t they be reviving people’s spleens to see if it would reverse the diabetes? I think stem cell research is a catch-all. It has such potential promise. But like a lot of research there is a devil to pay in getting a source for this material. Why aren’t stem cells reproduced in cultures ending the need for new source material? I have read that our own bodies produce a limited amount of stem cells, which would be much better because it would contain our genetic codes.
    Then there is the allergy problem. If we are killing our own insulin cells as fast as they are reproduced the entire stem cell issue is mute until we find a solution to that. My own feeling is that IF we can rev up the production of insulin cells in the spleen and migrate them to the pancreas the problem might just cure itself provided we do away with the immune reaction while the process is being completed.
    That spleen process needs to be better understood. We might need to be using those stem cells to bring the spleen back into production of insulin cells rather than directing them into the pancreas.

9. Ninjutsu Techniques
    Ninjutsu Techniques October 24, 2010 at 9:02 pm | | Reply

Very interesting article! And I’m with you.