1. k
    k October 13, 2010 at 6:55 am | | Reply

…thanks for publishing this AFTER the fact?

2. Jasmine
    Jasmine October 13, 2010 at 8:18 am | | Reply

I think I’m most interested in the proposal to reclassify types of the disease. As a Type 1 (or am I LADA or 1.5?) who still seems to produce SOME insulin (although I seem to be in the process of losing some of that), it would be fantastic to have more descriptive designations that also explored changes over time. It seems that third side of the triangle (comprehensive assessment of lifestyle/health) would be a constantly changing factor.

3. mcityrk
    mcityrk October 13, 2010 at 7:14 pm | | Reply

Hi-

Noninvasive glucose sensors, 25 years in the works and most likely a half a billion dollars raised and spent unproductively on product development. And if you look back at who spent it, there is at least a reasonable chance that a Harvard research lab or someone collaborating with a Harvard lab already got at least a small piece of this pie. The problem was not lack of effort or intellectual horsepower, but inadequate analytical sensitivity and selectivity. Sometimes wanting something so badly [both from human convienience factors as well as marketing standpoints] that immense finances are thrown at the problem simply does not translate into a high quality result.

4. EaglesGirl
    EaglesGirl October 13, 2010 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

Love reading your blog and thank you for writing it. I’ve been looking for the ideas of the actual winners since this was completed.

FYI – no, you didn’t have to be in the Harvard community to enter. I entered. You just needed to know about it… I found out about it on a blog or diabetes website and now get periodic emails from innocentive about all of the challenges they are reaching out to the public to help solve. Which is a fantastic idea.

5. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston October 13, 2010 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

Ack – I am down the street and part of the Harvard cmty and heck, I didn’t hear about this!

But I _do_ know that the President of Harvard is Drew Faust, the very first woman president of Harvard University, and she is terrific.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Amy!

6. tmana
    tmana October 14, 2010 at 4:24 am | | Reply

RE Classification: I have said for quite some time that “diabetes” is an umbrella term describing a syndrome common to several distinct causes (not unlike “the common cold”) — and that both optimizing treatment for, and eventually curing, “diabetes” requires knowing the exact causes and etiology of that syndrome in the individual patient.

RE continuous glucose monitoring: this might (eventually? in the next decade?) be a good application for nanotechnology — consider the idea of an injectable sensor (or group of sensors, collection of sensors) not much larger than the blood cells themselves, that travels along with the rest of one’s blood, tracking and reporting the concentrations of glycosylated hemoglobin in the cells it passes and travels along. Data collection would be by transdermal radiotransmission, and interpretation by desktop and/or handheld computer.

7. lee mcginty
    lee mcginty December 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

I think thier may be several types of type 1, My son has type 1 as of june 6th of 2010 and 19 months later is only taking 1.5 units of humalog a day plus 2 units of lantus at bed time, the honymoon is lasting much longer than we were told to expect.