1. Jillian Galloway
    Jillian Galloway September 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm | | Reply

$113 billion is spent on marijuana every year in the U.S., and because of the federal prohibition *every* dollar of it goes straight into the hands of criminals. Far from preventing people from using marijuana, the prohibition instead creates zero legal supply amid massive and unrelenting demand.

According to the ONDCP, at least sixty percent of Mexican drug cartel money comes from selling marijuana in the U.S., they protect this revenue by brutally torturing, murdering and dismembering countless innocent people.

If we can STOP people using marijuana then we need to do so NOW, but if we can’t then we need to legalize the production and sale of marijuana to adults with after-tax prices set too low for the cartels to match. One way or the other, we have to force the cartels out of the marijuana market and eliminate their highly lucrative marijuana incomes – no business can withstand the loss of sixty percent of its revenue!

To date, the cartels have amassed more than 100,000 “foot soldiers” and operate in 230 U.S. cities, and Arizona police are now conceding that parts of their state are under cartel control. The longer the cartels are allowed to exploit the prohibition the more powerful they’re going to get and the more our own personal security will be put in jeopardy.

2. Windy
    Windy September 8, 2010 at 7:16 pm | | Reply

My heart goes out to this reader. My husband and I work with some teenagers who are courageously fighting through addictions or mental illnesses. In a perfect world, it would be idea to try to find a counselor, therapist, or mental health professional that would agree to partner with the reader’s endocrinologist. Support groups, positive influences, creative outlets (yoga, church, drawing, hobbies, sports, music) all seem to help out kids we work with too.

Keep your head up reader! You’re in my prayers. I feel for ya.

3. clm
    clm September 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm | | Reply

There is a facility called Timberline Knolls in Chicago that specializes in drug addiction as well as eating disorders and others medical issues. They have treated three residents with type 1 in just the last three months, even though the residents were not primarily there for type 1- basically they have enough knowledge on how drugs and eating disorders effect type 1 and understand the patient is the expert that they can safely treat both.

They commonly see meth addiction there and have great statistics for sobriety rates months out. They will also set you up with outside doctors (ex: if diabetes is out of control because of drug use they will get you endo at University of Chicago or RUSH to be involved in case). It it was wonderful place that really helps woman.

They take insurance and also have some scholarships, I reccomend looking into what they have to offer since they can help on a variety of different levels.

4. Ginger
    Ginger September 10, 2010 at 7:24 am | | Reply

Oh, she is courageous for seeking help in such a bold way! As a cognitive coach, the line that resonated with me the most was “I told the doctors I need to start slow” —> that is KEY to big life changes whether you’re overcoming an addition or even just trying to make exercise a regular part of your life. And it’s great she knows that about herself.

While I am no doctor, my methods of helping people through a patient process of change might be the kind of thing this woman is looking for. Either way, it’s clear that her doctors are exactly what she needs right now. I hope she continues to be persistent and advocates for herself.

Ginger

5. Melinda Singer
    Melinda Singer September 13, 2010 at 9:27 am | | Reply

In response to the Meth Addiction and Diabetes, a great resource for help is Narcotics Anonymous. They can be found near the reader’s home by looking through the internet. They are a great source for help physically, spiritually and emotionally.

6. SM
    SM September 16, 2010 at 11:42 am | | Reply

This is really sad. Dealing with diabetes is hard enough. Then to add a drug addiction on top of it can make it unbearable!

7. abagail white
    abagail white May 5, 2012 at 9:47 pm | | Reply

hey i have been doing crystal meth off and on for the past month and i have done 30 units today at like 6pm and now Im feeling sick to my stomich,Im shaking,i can’t breathe,my skin is covered in bumps,i feel like Im getting pins and needles all over and Im a type 1 diabetic.i have come to a decision to quit and i need some help please. text me at 7752208629

8. Hannah
    Hannah April 2, 2014 at 10:49 pm | | Reply

I too am a struggling meth addict. Also type 1 diabetic. I am terrified what I’ve already done to my body and I’m only 22. I’m getting tested for Addisons disease and have to see my endro in may about some possible start of neuropothy. It’s so hard to quit. It’s crazy to take somthing that’ll kill me and then forget to take something that would keep me alive…but that’s what meth does to you. But my advise is to switch doctors find someone who at least understands its a tough road ahead of you and works with you. Someone who will be stern and yet still gentle. Idont do a whole lot but my endro compliments me and praises me when I do.things right. Sorry to hear abput your troubles but things get better the longer you stay clean and sober! I have 62 days nd plan on a ton more. Going to NA really helps me too. I also got setup with an outpatient rehab after doing some inpatient time and those groups are amazing. Make me feel so much less alone. Keep on keeping on!

9. K.C.
    K.C. June 9, 2014 at 1:25 am | | Reply

I am an 18 year old type-1 diabetic. I don’t consider myself a meth “addict” per-say, more of an occasional user. I never use more than once a month. However, I don’t take the best care of my health. I smoke and I drink, and god knows I don’t check my blood sugar enough. I feel it’s important to realize that being a type-1 diabetic is a very limiting disease on ones life. Dealing with depression and anxiety since I was diagnosed, drugs and alcohol are the only thing that has made me feel “normal”, if that makes any sense. I think the key to stopping future generations that have to share this disease (diabetes that is) from succumbing to drug or alcohol addiction is to make the average person more aware of what type-1 diabetes really is.

K.C.