1. Doug
    Doug September 10, 2010 at 6:48 am | | Reply

LOL –
    Be careful with the Little fridges in hotel rooms

They REALLY like to freeze stuff – Like insulin

Doug

2. tmana
    tmana September 10, 2010 at 7:30 am | | Reply

Most wall-mounted sharps containers come in industrial “putty” — your choice of metal (public rest rooms) or plastic (medical facilities).

3. dargirl
    dargirl September 10, 2010 at 11:45 am | | Reply

Amy,

Your post made me giggle when I read it. I work for a major Home Improvement Company. As I was reading it, you had my head spinning as to what would work for your D needs. Having had D for 39 years I would have the same concerns.

Lighting for the bedside/bath to test your BS. Suggestion: get a dimmer. You won’t have to wake your husband up to test.

Sharps container: Check out major cabinet makers. They have sliders, pull outs cabinets that you could slide in and out from under the cabinet.

I wouldn’t want to clutter up my new pretty countertops either. Find a drawer in your Kitchen that is your D drawer. I have a couple of D Drawers in my house also. Or find some pretty cannisters that you like and just throw your stuff in them.

So next time when I qualify a customer for a kitchen design. I will ask the customer if they need anything special for D needs. Thanks for sharing.

4. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell September 11, 2010 at 5:47 am | | Reply

Thanks for the laugh Amy, I’ll remember this one if I ever decide to do a major remodel. I really like the comment on the electrician. :-)

Seems to me we need more designers with diabetes, to solve all these critical issues. ;-)

5. Elinor
    Elinor September 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm | | Reply

Great post, Amy. I really enjoyed it!

6. KM
    KM September 16, 2010 at 9:11 am | | Reply

I’m a diabetic and never seen any humour in it, but this made me smile!

7. Renovating your bathroom
    Renovating your bathroom September 17, 2010 at 11:55 pm | | Reply

Its amazing how a little thing like renovating your home could cause such inconvenience to your daily schedules. If a bathroom renovation is part of your home improvements then you may want to consider installing some roll out draws in your vanity for easier access of all your diabetic paraphernalia.

8. Selena
    Selena October 5, 2010 at 2:33 am | | Reply

Not only did this make me laugh, but it actually gave me some things to think about when I get around to remodeling my kitchen and bath. After all, what colors do go well with diabetes testing strips and the occasional drops of blood on the counter?

9. phylor
    phylor October 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm | | Reply

I want to thank you for entering your post in the Chronic Babe blog carnival. I never thought of home renovations from that perspective before. I have, mind you, lived in motels and know what you mean about the small fridge! I hope you have a microwave, too.
    Good luck with the renovations, and I hope your insulin arrives at the proper destination.