1. reyna
    reyna August 30, 2010 at 7:08 am | | Reply

I appreciate the dedication of these healthcare professionals in educating themselves to the fullest on all aspects of “d”. “D” leaves nothing untouched, nothing is sacred. The more educated our caregivers are the better holistic care “d” patients will receive. The medical system is overworked, clinic time is limited, and this is not a “simple” disease to assist patients with. I love that there was “sharing”, “listening”, and “showing”. The end result will be better care for the masses. Thank you for posting.

2. William Lee Dubois
    William Lee Dubois August 30, 2010 at 8:50 am | | Reply

Brovo! But I’m highly skeptical that the AADE will ever certify peer educators. I think another organization (either existing or new) will need to lead that charge. But the sheer numbers prove the necessity. We need a way to certify peer educators and we need it NOW!

3. Krista
    Krista August 30, 2010 at 9:30 am | | Reply

I agree with William’s comment. I am a T1 PWD and am registered to take a 4 day learning session for Diabetes educators. I am not a nurse and I am not a nutritionist. I am however a PWD and I my career I specialize in Adult learning, Coaching and Change Management. I honestly think I am (or will be) far better equipped to educate fellow and new PWD’s than many of our medical community. I hope that someday life experience will count for something – because you don’t know and understand a topic until you live it.

4. Barbara Bradley, MS, RN, CDE
    Barbara Bradley, MS, RN, CDE August 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

Krista,
    Please don’t assume that CDEs don’t live with diabetes. Many have diabetes, either Type 1 or 2, or have family with diabetes and have lived with it in some form every day. Generalizations are not helpful. I agree that more peer counselors would be helpful; At this point, I see these people as volunteers. In my experience, untrained peer counselors can sometimes impart the wrong information, so yes, training for counselors is needed.

5. Kelly Rawlings
    Kelly Rawlings August 31, 2010 at 6:11 am | | Reply

One of the best dietitians I ever worked with had type 1 diabetes. One of the best endocrinologists (she helped me through my successful pregnancy) did not. What made them good was NOT living with a functioning pancreas or lack thereof. They kept up-to-date with research, really listened to me and my concerns, and worked hard to CUSTOMIZE meds, timing, mental support, etc., for me.

The need for ongoing training and certification–of professionals and of volunteer peer counselors is a given. ‘Cause let’s face it: even trained professionals can impart incorrect information (as do the man on the street, my mother-in-law, my 12-year-old …).

It takes a mission, time, money, ongoing support, etc., to train professionals and volunteers. Who is willing, able, and funded?

6. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 1, 2010 at 6:29 am | | Reply

Great guest post Kelly!

7. Ru
    Ru September 15, 2010 at 10:57 am | | Reply

Thanks Kelly for the great post it’s always great to see health-care practitioner’s educating themselves so they can be of maximum service to their patients.