1. beth
    beth August 2, 2010 at 7:56 am | | Reply

I also suggest learning the words ‘insulin’ and/or ‘diabetes’ in the language of the country you’re travelling to and countries where you’ll have a layover.

At airport security i just point at my luggage and say ‘insulin’ and they immediately let me through with a carry-on that has lancets, syringes, and liquid medicine (insulin). No other words needed!

2. susan f.
    susan f. August 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

I’m curious on who fellow D’s use for travel insurance. Many travel insurance’s state they do not cover pre-existings, so I am curious if you have something happens (bad low, bad high) that requires medical assistance if that would be covered!

3. Sandy S
    Sandy S August 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

My biggest issue has been the time difference. If you’re using a long acting insulin, 1- you need to be consistent in the time you take it, even if that means when you wake up vs bedtime; and 2-since long acting has the same effectiveness curve, be wary that your ‘new’ day is different. This 2nd pt has tripped me up several times.

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson August 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

I am so thrilled to see Dana on here! I’m so impressed by Dana and all that she’s doing, and I hope to see more of her around!

Dana – can’t wait to hear about the cows… :-)

5. Dana
    Dana August 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm | | Reply

@Beth – great suggestion! I found that most people spoke English and understood the word “diabetes”, but I was in popular areas for the most part. I agree & def. recommend that if you’re going someplace off the beaten path!

@Susan – good question. I too am curious what everyone else uses if any?

@Sandy – I am on a pump with pretty similar basals throughout the day & night, which made it easier for me. I can imagine trying to work with long acting insulin is quite a challenge – thanks for bringing that up!

@Scott – thank you!

6. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales August 2, 2010 at 5:54 pm | | Reply

Dana, you’re a brave woman! This was fun to read. I’m happy there are people like you venturing out. Very inspiring.

7. Ike Austin
    Ike Austin August 8, 2010 at 5:53 am | | Reply

Hello,

Last year, after a brief scare with Type-1 diabetes, I conducted extensive research about the rise of the disease amongst our youth. Research shows a direct relationship to diet, low physical activity, and hormone-injected cow’s milk and other factors.

I am an Instructional Designer/Flash Programmer by profession. I created the first series of a children’s book called Run Tippy Run to start addressing the diabetes issues suddenly plaguing our children.

Kids can read this book free online at…www.daystarbooks.com

Brief Description of Book:
    Help our children draw their future without diabetes.

The Purpose, Is Prevention: This series of Run Tippy Run – Draw Me Healthy publications, will attempt to introduce a green diet concept to young children. By illustrating a direct link to food and health, we induce kids to question their diet choices & food sources.

Name: Ike Austin
    Book Title: Run Tippy Run – Tippy Helps Kids Avoid Diabetes
    Website: http://www.daystarbooks.com

Additional Links:
    Read More: http://www.daystarbooks.com/ebooks/runtippyrun_description/index.htm

Anything you can do to help me get this children’s story out to the public will be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to point your readership to this website or link to my website or reuse the e-book in any way you wish. I will provide you future e-book releases of the Run Tippy Run series on a regular weekly/monthly schedule.

Ike Austin