1. kdroberts
    kdroberts August 23, 2010 at 8:16 am | | Reply

I have no doubt that Victoza works based on what I have read but there are several red flags that the FDA approval threw up that seem to get overlooked.

This is from the FDA approval release…

“In five clinical trials involving more than 3,900 people, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) occurred more often in patients who took Victoza than in patients taking other diabetes medicines. Victoza should be stopped if there is severe abdominal pain, with or without nausea and vomiting, and should not be restarted if pancreatitis is confirmed by blood tests. Victoza should be used with caution in people with a history of pancreatitis.

The most common side effects observed with Victoza were headache, nausea, and diarrhea. Other side effects included allergic-like reactions such as hives.ictoza was not associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular events in people who were mainly at low risk for these events. FDA approved Victoza, however, with several post-marketing requirements under the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act (FDAAA) to ensure that the company will conduct studies to provide additional information on the safety of this product.

In addition to a cardiovascular safety study to specifically evaluate the cardiovascular safety of Victoza in a higher risk population, the company also is required to conduct a 5-year epidemiological study using a health claims database to evaluate thyroid and other cancer risks as well as risks for seriously low blood glucose levels (hypoglycemia), pancreatitis, and allergic reactions. To specifically evaluate the risk of medullary thyroid cancer, the company is required to establish a cancer registry to monitor the rate of this type of cancer in the United States over the next 15 years.

In animal studies, Victoza caused tumors of the thyroid gland in rats and mice. Some of these tumors were cancers, which were significantly increased in rats who received excessive doses that were 8-times higher than what humans would receive.

It is not known if Victoza could cause thyroid tumors or a very rare type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer in people. For this reason, Victoza should not be used as the first-line treatment for diabetes until additional studies are completed that support expanded use. Also, Victoza should not be used in people already at risk for medullary thyroid cancer, such as those who have medullary thyroid cancer in the family or those with a rare genetic condition known as Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2.”

I think the cardio study is going to be the norm for diabetes drugs and the low blood sugar, pancratitis and allergic reaction studies are also pretty normal, especially considering the mechanism of action, the Byetta pancreatitis link and the fact it’s a synthetic hormone but the thyroid cancer stipulations could be pretty serious. I am not aware of any other diabetes drug, or even any other drug (not saying there isn’t one) that as part of the approval is required to do 5 and 15 year studies to show it isn’t dangerous. It does seem that a lot of newly diagnosed people and people who were managing with diet an exercise are being put on Victoza as a first line treatment based on a number of message board posts. I know it’s not scientific but in the last month or so Victoza seems to be one of the hottest topics regarding drugs and a lot are from newly diagnosed folks who have been put on it.

1. Diane Hill
      Diane Hill November 26, 2011 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Victoza for 8 months. Lost about 30 lbs. I take 1.2 dose could not tolerate 1.8. However, recently had bad case of gall stones and pancreatitis. However, my Dr. wants me to keep using victoza. My a1c is 5.5.

2. William Lee Dubois
    William Lee Dubois August 23, 2010 at 9:05 am | | Reply

Amy, I use the Symlin and love it. For me (disclaimer: EVERYONE else’s milage will vary!) I set the pump for a combo bolus with 40% delivery “on the table” and a one hour run; using the same total delivery–so I do not reduce the fast-acting, I only change the delivery pattern. The baby dose of 15 mcg flatens out excursions very nicely. Hypo trouble is miminal. My PCP put me on it when the ER docs use steriods for my back and my BGLs went crazy; but I liked it enough to keep it. We’ve got a half-dozen Patients on the Victoza and we’ve seen results nothing short of amazing with no side effects worth mentioning.

3. Russell Scott
    Russell Scott August 23, 2010 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for 4 weeks and have dropped my Lantus injections and lost 8 lbs. There is some nausia but not anything to cause an issue. I am still using Novolog as needed before meals. I will stick with this it has really made thing easier for me.

4. kelly close
    kelly close August 24, 2010 at 1:43 am | | Reply

would love to hear if there are type 1s on Victoza and what the experience is – have definitely heard of more than a few who are taking it off label. curious to know more. for type 2s, don’t think anyone expected victoza not to trump byetta, but the other key question is how much the class will expand with once-weekly Bydureon if it is approved as expected this fall.

5. kelly close
    kelly close August 24, 2010 at 1:46 am | | Reply

also, on Symlin, I think it’s fairly common that if the titration is very careful, for many it can make a major difference. For some, not, of course. See Gary’s take, I know you are a fan Amy ! : > It has really helped my post-meal BG but I have the most caring endo who has helped me titrate super carefully …

6. julie
    julie August 25, 2010 at 11:04 am | | Reply

Well, I’m a type 2 using insulin, and I think I’ll be sticking with the routine for as long as I am about this earth… don’t want ANY upset stomach. And weight is definitely not an issue for me. Had not heard about this drug… so thanks for sharing. Love diabetesmine.

7. Larry Wood
    Larry Wood August 26, 2010 at 7:55 am | | Reply

I started taking Vitoza on July 31, 2010 and gradually increased the dosage from 0.6mg to 1.8mg by mid August. On August 20, 2010 I had severe diarrhea and vomiting with rotten food in my stomach. I was hospitalized for four days in order to be rehydrated from losing so much fluid over 12 hours. My stomach had shut down completely and was full of food from meals that I had eaten three days prior. Up until August 20th, I was extremely happy with my glucose readings and was consistently under 120. Unfortunately for me, I am hypersensitive to Vitoza and have since switched back to taking Byetta. Take this word of warning. If you feel bloated and full and you are belching gas that smells of rotten eggs and other foul oders be extremely vigilent. It could land you in the hospital like it did me this past weekend.

1. Shannon
      Shannon March 6, 2014 at 6:58 pm | | Reply

Larry, I am having similar side effects, but not every day. I have been looking everywhere but your post is the first one I’ve found describing this. About once a week I’ll get sick and vomit food from the day before, and it is accompanied by diarreah. And it’s always accompanied by belching that smells very bad. I figured it’s happening when I’ve had too much sugar that day, but maybe not. It’s not bad enough to dehydrate me though because I’ve only vomited 3 times in a month so far. Maybe I need to get back on Byetta.

8. Larry Wood
    Larry Wood August 26, 2010 at 7:56 am | | Reply

Victoza is fine in small doses. The full dose for me was like poison.

9. Bryan
    Bryan August 26, 2010 at 6:11 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza since late May. I am still on the 1.2 mg per day. I do have some bloating, bouts of diarreah and constipation. But to date no sort of nausea at all. I have lost about 10 pounds but that is about it. Victoza has lowered my A1C from 8.2 to 6.5 in about three months of use. I have stopped my Lantus shots due to not really needing it.
    I am worried about what long-term side-effects that might creep up with this or any newer drug. But the benefits outweigh the risks.

Again, I have not had the first sign of nausea at all with Victoza yet. I think there are people that don’t need the 1.8mg and that might be the reason for the nasty side-effects.

So far so good for me with Victoza.

10. Selena
    Selena August 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm | | Reply

Thank you so much Amy for mentioning me and my “‘victory with Victoza” in this post. I appreciate the linky love. :-)

To date, I am still enjoying my victory with Victoza. I have slowly progressed to a dosage of 1.2 mg. I get occasional nausea, but find eating right after my injection helps so much. My doctor suggested working my way up to this dose a few click on the pen at a time. This strategy has really worked for me.

When it comes to type 2 diabetes, there are always trade offs. I think I can live with some mild nausea and increased vigilance about other side effects in exchange for a one-a-day injection, better BG & A1c numbers and some weight loss.

I am fortunate that my doctor is Anne Peters, MD, a leading diabetologist. I know that she understands all the risks and benefits of taking Victoza and together we weighed the risks and benefits before I started this medication. I am confident in her judgement regarding prescribing this medication for me, despite the rare side effects of pancreatitis and thyroid tumors. I am getting blood tests and being screened on an ongoing basis for markers for thyroid problems.

Just so you know, Victoza is not a first line treatment for me. Also, it is my understanding that just having diabetes places you at higher risk for getting pancreatitis (which I was surprised to learn.)

You can see Dr. Peters talking about Victoza here (professional login required): http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/717541

11. Steven Barr
    Steven Barr August 31, 2010 at 8:38 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about 16 weeks now. I have had better morning sugar reading by 75 points. I was having morning sugars of 180-210 now I have reading of 112-126. Also I have dropped 11 pounds during this time with no increase in physical activity. It may not work for some people but with out it I was in a position of losing my job. I have CDL drivers license and my A1C was 8.7 and 9 is the cap before being sent home with no job. My last A1c was 7.4. Therefore I know it works and thanks to Victoza for the miracle drug which is improving my quality of life.

1. Tammy
      Tammy November 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm | | Reply

I was wondering if you have had any DOT PHYSICAL issues being on Victoza? My husband is going through a new job orientation and they told him that they could not hire him if he was on Victoza. They said it was against DOT FEDERAL REGULATIONS. I can’t find any negative information on this subject.

1. Cris
        Cris October 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm | | Reply

I too am wondering, because I too was told that if you are taking ANY injectable your CDL is at risk. But, I’m now looking at loosing my CDL anyway, because of my A1C, so I really am looking at this as a possible help.

12. Mike
    Mike September 1, 2010 at 8:47 pm | | Reply

(PWD Type 1) I’ve been on Victoza for about three months. My appetite is greatly decreased and my weight has dropped but I do notice that my afternoon sugars are still high (the Victoza was an option to see if there was a way to kill the afternoon highs). While there has been a loss of a few pounds, I’m not fond of a constant feeling of slight nausea. I did have a few days of vomiting when I first started the low doses but haven’t had that since. All-in-all, I miss my NPH. It worked better and was far more predictable.

13. Ray
    Ray September 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about six weeks now. I’m not hungry very often and when I do eat it is half of what I would normally eat. I have lost about 2 lbs. every week since being on it and my blood sugars have dropped about 100 pts. I have had no side effects and so far I’m very happy with this drug. The insulin wasn’t doing it for me any more.

14. Jeff
    Jeff October 23, 2010 at 7:49 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for about 2 months now. Before that I was on the twice a day Byetta. Byetta never did any real good for me. My BG was never really bad but it was rarely normal either. With Victoza, my BG is rarely above normal and I’ve hit lows several times with it so I have to watch myself. I’ve had some of the side effects but they are rare now that I’ve been on the drug for a while. And as stated above it controls my appetite and i’m losing weight. Down 30 lbs due to a combination of diet, exercise and Victoza over the last 6 months.

15. Orthogal
    Orthogal October 24, 2010 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

For me, Victoza is a miracle drug. I have been diabetic since 2005 and regardless of medications used, I could not get my blood sugar down. I am also morbidly obese and have tried every diet under the sun. I saw an endocrinologist on Oct 1, 2010, he injected me with .6 of Victoza and within a few days graduated to 1.2. No side affects whatsoever, and in 3 weeks I have lost 25 pounds! Effortlessly. The nutritionist at the office put me on a 500-600 calorie diet, with the use of Procal 100 shakes (Strawberry is Yummy). If I don’t want to use a shake or two, I am allowed to eat a Lean Cuisine and have an apple, etc. I HAVE NO APPETITE, AND MUST FORCE MYSELF TO GET IN THE CALORIES. I actually am consuming under 500 calories, not to be over zealous, just because of the Victoza. My doc said using Victoza is like “having a chemically induced bypass surgery.”
    It is the “gut homone” that is causing people to be hungry and despite their best efforts to lose weight, it always returns and then some. He spent 1 hour explaining how “it isn’t your fault, and in a few weeks, I would be able to put any of your favorite foods on this desk, and one or two bites will be all you will want, or none at all.” Of course I wondered what he was smoking (LOL) but my goodness, he is absolutely right. 25 pounds in three weeks without effort is MIRACULOUS FOR ME. I realize there are supposed side effects which I thankfully have not had. I hope to lose 100 plus more pounds. Hope this encourages some of you to talk to your doc’s about Victoza. It is also costly, so check with your insurance company. If lucky, they will cover the majority of the expense. It is worth it’s weight in gold.

16. bryan
    bryan October 27, 2010 at 10:39 pm | | Reply

I’d be of great interest to me to find a way to get a coupon to reduce cost for my ongoing health care expenses. my wife has had 2 open heart surgeries & herself on a fewensive meds.

I had blood sugersceeding 350 even with excellent diet and exercise workingin the medical as a cna2 i understand how important this is. unfortunatly it still was failing. Other oral medications were also failing to touch the high levels of my blood sugars this VICTOZA has been the ticket to setting me free on the road to a normal life. i am in my 3month and starting to feel like a normal person again. unfortunatly it is burning a hole in my pocket book. CAN YOU HELP ? ARE THERE COUPONS A WAY TO MAKE IT CHEAPER THAN 123.00 per pen or 300.00 for 3pens this is serious i need this but WHAT DO I DO HELP ME??!!!!!! PLEASE

17. Donna
    Donna December 19, 2010 at 11:40 am | | Reply

Bryan,
    You can get hepl paying for your victoza Instant saving card the programs number is 1-877-484-2869 call between the hours of 8:00 am -7:00 pm EST Monday – Friday . GOOD lUCK

18. Vincent
    Vincent July 13, 2011 at 11:15 am | | Reply

Victoza has changed my life.

I was diagnosed type 2 nearly 11 years ago at age 23. On varied types of insulin and other things over the years…complicated by hypertension. 300+ lbs for nearly that entire time.

Started seeing new PCP/Internist in Feb and was put on Victoza in late Feb. As of this writing, I have reduced by Insulin by 67% and hypertension meds by 50%. I have lost 40+ lbs (30 of those pounds came prior to me adding walking into the mix…more on that below…which just change in meds.)

The biggest change in my life has been the total reduction of what I like to call the “end of day insulin starvation feeling.” Prior to Victoza, every day I’d get home from work I would be starving. Didn’t matter what I had eaten for breakfast and/or lunch. I no longer have that feeling. When I get home, I go walk for an hour.

My weight goal is to eventually be under 200lbs (Mr. Big Bones) and, of course, to reduce my overall meds as much as possible. I have no doubt I will do both.

I am much happier now. I thank both my new Doctor and the folks at Nova Nordisk.

19. Dawn
    Dawn July 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm | | Reply

OMG Vincent!!! It is soooo nice to hear of someone else that has that “end of the day insuling starvation feeling”. I can control what I eat during the day but once I got home, no matter how hard I tried, I would be hungry for the rest of the night. My fasting blood sugars for the last year have been just over 100. I am not diabetic, yet, but there is a very strong family history and I am morbidly obese. I have fought with weight all my life. My endo is trying to keep me from getting diabetes. She suggested I take Victoza. I started it today. I have been battling with myself for the past year to have lapband surgery. I would start the process and and then stop because it really was not what I wanted to do. I am hoping that this will be the answer to my prayers. I have not had any nausea, thank God. I have noticed a slight difference in my appetite. I, of course, started out on the .6 dosage, as has everyone else. I’m keeping my fingers and my toes crossed and praying to God this works.

20. Carol
    Carol November 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm | | Reply

I took Victoza for 8 days, the first 7 on .6 mg and the ith day 1.2 mg.

On day 6, my eyes started to blur. On day 7, I called the Doctor as I was having a really hard time seeing. Dummy me I increased as instructed on Day 8, which was the day the doc called me back. They said there is no indication that Victoza causes any issues with the eyes. But they told me to stop and let them know the outcome. I did, and within 6 days, my eyes have returned to normal. I must add that my normal is with cataracts, but the Victoza made me see huge “white out” areas so I couldn’t even read the papers in front of me at work.

I tried it again at .3 mg (5 clicks, 10 is .6mg) every OTHER day. There was no change or help whatsover. The doctor told me I should try again; so again, dummy me, I tried 1.2 mg after being off it for several days. Big mistake, I felt very sick and had to stop again for several days.

The doc & I agree I can now try .3mg every day and see how it goes. I am not to increase it after one week; instead go very slowly to let my body adjust, if it can of course. But instead of jumping into .3mg, I am going to start with .3mg every other day again, and then slowly get to .3mg every day, and of course… take it from there.

I like Victoza as I think it made me lose almost 5 lbs that first week. However I was dieting extremely well and was due to lose several pounds anyway as I was just coming off the plateau. I had no bad symptoms at all.

Just my experience with Victoza so far.

21. Edith Hill
    Edith Hill December 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm | | Reply

I am not on Victoza, but I do have an observation about Carol’s post above regarding her eyesight. I recently went on insulin and within a week was having a dramatic drop in blood sugars, as well as a drastic negative change in my eyesight. I frantically made an appointment with my eye doctor as well as talking to my regular physician. Turns out, the sugars in your eyes take longer to drop than the sugars in the rest of your body; and my doctor assured me my eyesight would return to normal (which it has). (I had previously had only very mild near-sightedness, and after being on insulin for a week could not even read the biggest letter on the chart!!) My physician told me it would take approximately 6 weeks for my eyesight to normalize, and it did. So if the Victoza caused a considerable drop in your sugars, then your problem with your eyes might have been the drop in sugars rather than the Victoza.

22. Terry Buckley
    Terry Buckley January 16, 2012 at 7:57 pm | | Reply

I was placed on Victoza in May of 2011 (approx.) and have had 2 low blood sugar drops, 2 seriously bad diarreah episodes, and 2 bad vomiting episodes; the last vomiting feels like my throat got hurt or something. I took to the injections well at 1.2 but am afraid to retry going up to 1.8. Prescribed along with 1000 mg of Metformin per day. The good side is I got fired from a job right before this started and since it was spring-summer-fall in Ohio, I could be outdoors and walk and I lost nearly 60 lbs. with ease. Winter makes me anxious anyway, so I’m trying a sort of low-carb modify diet with this drug. I’m hoping to not get cancer. My father died of lung cancer due to smoking, and I’m an ex-smoker, 10 years quit April 22, 2012. Really on the fence about all of this. Not sure that hypoglycemia isn’t my bigger problem, but my primary doc wouldn’t give me a resting glucose tolerance test when I first became rather frequently ill (dropping to the 50′s) in 2008. Victoza hopefully will make me a winner?

23. Shirley Fremd
    Shirley Fremd March 13, 2012 at 11:20 am | | Reply

I began using Victoza on January 28th at the .6 dose. A week later I upped it to the 1.2 dose. I was doing fine. The endo told me to eat half what I normally do and that was no problem because Victoza is a very strong appetite suppressant. I was hesitant to go to the third dose of 1.8 as I have an aversion to nausea and vomiting and therefore stayed on the 1.2 for over three weeks. All of a sudden my sugars started going up and I had not changed my diet. I decided to “bite the bullet” and began the 1.8 dose. I’ve been on that dose a little over a week and my sugars have gone back down.
    I have had no problems with the max dose and in less than two months I have lost almost 30 lbs.

24. rose
    rose March 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm | | Reply

i found out i had diabetes dec 5th 2011 my sugar levels were in the 500 ;s my dr started me on metformin but levels would not go down after 3 weeks she put me on insulin still would not go down then i saw a endo on jan 9th he started me on victoza along with the insulin and metforim 4 days later my levels were down to under 100 also have lost 34lbs in 2 months i do believe victoza does affect your taste buds i no longer can eat eggs or drink coffee just the thought of it makes me ill but i still believe victoza is a god send my levels have been steady to this day at 90-95 fasting and never higher than 120 after meals

25. Discovered D-OC (Diabetes Online Community) sites - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] cells to release insulin (for people with type 2) and also seems to help in weight loss. Read Amy Tenderich’s post on this new product at DiabetesMine. Finish Line Vision (Professional Speaker)  Jay Hewitt is [...]

26. Tom Johnson
    Tom Johnson June 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm | | Reply

I am not diabetic. My A1C is 5.7 and my fasting blood sugar is 99 – 105. I have metabolic syndrome, and I am 30 40 pounds overweight BMI 31. 5’6″, and weigh 191, should be 151.

I have started taking Victoza at 0.3 for a few days, then 0.6 for a few days and then 0.9 for a few days. All was ok for the first 9 days – no side effects, but then I increased to 1.2 as instructed – the next day I got severe foul sulfur egg tasting burping every few seconds and finally diarrhea later that night. Still no nausea nor vomiting, but the burping was truly awful.

Now I remember that my doctor said to STOP metformin (I take Fortamet time release just 500 mg) when starting the Victoza, but I forgot to stop. Now after skipping Victoza for a day my burping is improved – and believe it or not I have constipation. So in logical heath terms, I am a person who has rotting food in my stomach that won’t move. HORRIBLE. Luckily, I lost 3 pounds the first week – no more the second week.

My doctor advised me to pull back to 0.6 and see what happens. Maybe I’ll have to increase more gradually.

Any advice and feedback would be appreciated.

27. Brenda
    Brenda July 31, 2012 at 7:04 am | | Reply

The burping is from the delayed gastric emptying…simply stated…you are burping because you still have food in your stomach that is beginning to digest. That for me was the biggest adjustment of using Victoza, was learning all over again what 1) full was and 2) what hungry was. Once you get that figured out…eat right…in the correct portions…and do not over indulge (be it purposfully or accidentally) then you’ve got it all licked. I was diagnosed with Type 2 late last July and began Victoza immediately, I have since rather effortlessly dropped more than 70 pounds…my blood sugars are down, my blood pressure is down and I FEEL FANTASTIC! I wish you much luck…for me the side effects were temporary…and if I ate the way i KNOW that I needed to eat then they were much less prominant while they lasted. At any rate…the pain was definately worth the gain.

28. darnell boone
    darnell boone August 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm | | Reply

I’ve been taking victoza for almost two months now the weak stomach has started every evening but it really works I went from 279 to 127 when I check my levels thanks victoza.

29. Brian
    Brian March 27, 2013 at 10:38 am | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for over a year now. Never experienced any adverse effects. all it’s done is keep my blood sugar below 200. Was on insulin and it got me down to 100, but I gained about 40 pounds in the process – regardless of how much I exercised.

30. ashlee
    ashlee April 28, 2013 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Im not diabete but i am on Victoza now so that way i can lose weight. My doctor prescribed it to me so that i can lose the weight so that way i dont became diabetic. for 2 years now i have been bouncing back and forth from being prediabetic to none diabetic. the only one side affect i have from Victoza is every now and then i burp a rotten egg taste but i will live with that if i can lose the weight and weigh the weight i never was before.

31. margaret baker
    margaret baker August 5, 2013 at 5:04 pm | | Reply

i have used victosa 4yrs ,and i cut mine down to 0.6 ,due to the egg burping and diarrhea ,but now my blood sugar is high ,i have gained weight so i am now taking 1.2 ,doctors in England wont let you go any higher ,but i was wondering if you could take 0.6 at midnight and 0.6 at miday ,as to spread it out .

32. Jade
    Jade October 7, 2013 at 6:20 am | | Reply

I started victoza about 3 weeks ago. I’ve been type 2 diabetic for about 7 years. Initially was just on glyburide and metformin. When I got pregnant I was switched to insulin. Then had lost health coverage after having my daughter so ended up with bs levels on the 350. I lost nearly 70lbs due to being dehydrated and high bs levels. Once my insurance kicked in and I started insulin again. I gained about 40lbs back in almost 2-3 months. I was devastated. I had been eating better than ever an regularly exercising. I didn’t understand. My endo decided victoza would be a good help with my extreme high fasting bs levels and to help lose weight. In the past 3 weeks I’ve lost about 14lbs. With little to no more effort than before. That’s great.

My biggest complaint is the serious diarrhea and lack of appetite. I know I have to eat but I just can’t. I literally had 5 frosted mini wheats for breakfast and was full beyond belief. Last night, I couldn’t even take one bite of supper because I was so full from a tuna sandwich at lunch. The diarrhea is the worst. Once my metformin went from 1000mg a day to 2000 it really starte. Then finally settled and started victoza and here we go again…. I am hoping it settles with time because I like the fact that I’m losing weight.

My fastings were about 160-200 before victoza (even if I was at 90 before bed). My fasting this morning was 105. Kind of amazing. As long as the diarrhea settles, I will keep using it.

33. Era
    Era November 10, 2013 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know a doctor in Orange County, CA that prescribes Victoza? I would like to see someone who knows this RX well. Thanks,

1. Sierra Sullivan
      Sierra Sullivan April 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm | | Reply

Yes, check out Dr. Jannet Huang in Irvine.

34. Lacey Hall
    Lacey Hall December 25, 2013 at 9:54 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about 6 months or so. I have been getting really sick. It works bit every several weeks I get sick. It starts out as sulfur Burps, then a few hours after I get to throwing up rancid stuff. Then diarrhea and my stomach hurts really bad. Its Christmas Day and I’m sick as a dog. Victoza has helped my blood sugars but I hate getting sick like this. Idk what to do.

35. Sierra Sullivan
    Sierra Sullivan April 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm | | Reply

I am a type 1 diabetic taking it off label for over a year now. It has definitely helped lower my blood sugars and lost the 10 pounds I always had a hard time losing. I only take 0.6 and have never experienced any of the adverse effects. My only problem is that I tend to eat more carbs now that I know I won’t gain the weight, but it does affect my blood sugars. I need to cut it out to really get the numbers I want. With the Victoza, they’re not as high as if I didn’t take Victoza when eating lots of carbs.

36. james brann
    james brann May 27, 2014 at 8:17 am | | Reply

I first tried byetta and it made me deadly sick so we talked the insurance into covering the victoza for me. Now only have belching it helps when I use 1.2 not 1.8 love my diabete numbers all under 130 when i get up hope my a1c better last time was 7.4 before victoza numbers all over 200

37. A Erin
    A Erin July 16, 2014 at 7:22 pm | | Reply

I’m a type 1 diabetic who found this tread after googling the side effects I have been experiencing since starting Victoza. I have been on it for 8 days now. I moved up to the 1.2 dose from the .6 for the first time this morning and I regret it. After reading the comments I’m going to take it back down and dial it up slowly instead of jumping from .6 – 1.2. I am definitely experiencing the nausea and burping. Today it was downright awful to the point I considered going to an ER, however after reading I see I’m not the only one. I’m going to call my doctor to see if I could get something to reduce the nausea. I was a major overeater before which was a big reason my doctor prescribed this. I’ve been lucky if I’m taking in 500 calories a day now. I think I’m going to push through it and see what happens over a longer time period. IMy boss sugar has been out of control for far too long and I think this may finally be the missing puzzle piece. Here’s hoping!