1. Carol
    Carol July 1, 2010 at 5:36 am | | Reply

Like the coffee study…sitting here sipping a cup of joe before my morning run. But just in case a new study comes out refuting that one, I cut my basal to 65% and bolused half the norm for a light snack.

2. Vanessa
    Vanessa July 1, 2010 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Amy, I am really enjoying all of your updates from the conference. You do a great job of summarizing up all of the interesting data in a nutshell. Thanks.

3. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog July 1, 2010 at 10:06 am | | Reply

The link between T1DM and cow’s milk is very interesting to me. I was very allergic to cow’s milk as a child (not intolerance, but a true milk allergy) and never drank it (I’m not diabetic). We didn’t have great vanilla soy milk back then.

My kids LOVE milk and it’s their beverage of choice. I pay extra for hormone-free milk. Always have, even before my daughter’s diagnosis. I thought I was doing good buying hormone-free (and sometimes certified organic). It would be terrible to think that allowing her to drink milk at all caused it.

But what’s the alternative? You also hear studies cautioning against soy.

I hope to slog my way through the studies given in your link. Is there a layman’s summary of the findings?

4. William Lee Dubois
    William Lee Dubois July 1, 2010 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

OK, never used coffee to prevent a low (nor do I “work out”); but I do have to bolus for Starbucks French Roast. If I drink coffee without taking insulin I can get a 100-150 point excursion.

5. William Lee Dubois
    William Lee Dubois July 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

Oh, and on the whole issue of smell and taste. I wouldn’t appologize for your anecdotal “study.” They only looked at 8 people, you looked at one. Your sample size was a whopping 12%

:-)

6. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales July 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

that research poster looks extremely like the Toyota A3 Method invented by Toyota which I was trained to use at my former position. It is a really excellent way to force things to the nitty gritty and allow others a quick way to understand an entire concept. Nice :) Thanks for making this stuff more entertaining! And yeah the milk thing is confusing. From what I gather we just shouldn’t be pasturizing milk (since it kills good enzymes and then changes the structure of the milk) so I’m trying to get raw milk to drink-its not easy here in Virginia where its illegal except through a cow-share program. So apparently I need to own a cow or part of one to get some real milk…go figure!

7. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales July 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

Just wondering something about the coffee thing. Why does it “lower blood sugar during a workout” instead of just simply “raise your blood sugar”? A little confused…was the coffee used in the study sweetened? i’m a little lost on that one.

8. AmyT
    AmyT July 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

@Will – right on my sample size. You made me LOL for real.

@Sysy – I think they tested two groups: one that took a shot of caffeine before strenuous physical activity and one that didn’t, and the results showed the caffeine group having less lows during the exercise. At least that’s what they should have done. I’m still on the road, so can look it up later :)

9. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales July 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm | | Reply

Ahh…that would make sense. That would be great! I’m going to have to test that one out, I hate lows during a workout…I’m sure we all do.

10. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 28, 2010 at 8:12 pm | | Reply

I think my head would have exploded if I had been able to attend the ADA conference. So much information to absorb and try to critique!