1. Karen
    Karen July 13, 2010 at 7:57 am | | Reply

This would be beyond amazing. I feel like I’m overly reliant on my CDE and endo for data interpretation – it would be an incredible boon to be able to analyze this information for myself, not to mention an incredible learning tool. I imagine you’d be noticing patterns yourself in no time at all and the tech would eventually just be a backup confirmation.

And hey, industry guys – I’d switch to WaveSense in a heartbeat if this was an option right now!

2. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog July 13, 2010 at 8:11 am | | Reply

I hope pharma companies are actually hearing what we are saying (writing).

All I want is to be able to plug my meter and/or pump into my MAC (!!) and get a print out of our BG’s.

I don’t think that’s too much to ask. For me, I want a simple, plug-and-play, no nonsense, just the facts ma’am chart or spreadsheet that I can print out and fax to our endo’s office.

That being said, I can’t wait to see what AgriMatrix has in store for us, given that my iPhone is practically a member of the family!

3. Penny
    Penny July 13, 2010 at 8:30 am | | Reply

Bravo, amen and someone give me a Hallelujah! Yes yes yes and more yes, this is exactly what I want. I want my data to teach me, to tell me something, to let me know the trend and what to do about it. I am tired of hearing parent after parent say they ‘faxed their logs in to their endo’ and then got them regurgitated via what to do with all that. Where is the learning? I suspect that you are right, our endos don’t have the time. I want this – to learn how to take that data and DO something with it. I am thrilled that the manufacturers and companies are finally looking at what people with T1 need. Amen!

4. Rod Allen
    Rod Allen July 13, 2010 at 8:36 am | | Reply

The worst thing about diabetes management software is that NONE of it is available for the Macintosh! With the Mac making major strides in consumer penetration in the past few years, the effect is that more and more diabetes sufferers are being marginalized by the pharma companies who are in other ways desperate to get them hooked on a particular glucose management system. I recently aquired a new Aviva BGM systen, and was so infuriated by the wet response on its FAQs that a Mac version is not contemplated that I emailed thecompany and started a thread on Macintouch (www.macintouch.com) on the topic. Biggest problem is we can’t threaten to use someone else’s system. — Rod

5. Cary
    Cary July 13, 2010 at 11:19 am | | Reply

The biggest problem I see is getting the data off our devices (especially if you use multiple devices in multiple locations). Building algorithims to find patterns is pretty straightforward — and if you’ve been doing this long enough, you see patterns develop even without fancy software. I have the cables for my devices, I never use them. Every diabetes device should sync with a bluetooth enabled phone or computer and get the data into either a web-based app or Excel spreadsheet for further analysis. I have no idea why they keep building these proprietary software tools that are always lacking features simply built into Excel. Then just build Excel models and macros — the meter companies should be all over this (hire some ex-analysts, no software development needed and you can release new versions every day if you like).

6. Don
    Don July 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm | | Reply

This shouldn’t be hard. For years the retail industry has made use of algorithms to predict when they will run out of product on store shelves. These predictive algorithms are exceptionally accurate–they just need a large data sample to build the initial model. Possibly a large scale initiative to collect this data from PWD nationwide through a smartphone app would be the first step to building these algorithms.

7. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell July 14, 2010 at 2:24 am | | Reply

It sounds like this is a “putting lipstick on a pig” exercise. Taking existing software and making the graphs look cooler, or ‘enhancing’ them to present additional data, doesn’t mean that they’ll actually be more useful or useable to the patient or healthcare team. We’ll still have software from: Pump maker P;Glucose meter G;Backup glucose meter B(different make); and CGM D. All this information will be displayed in separately pretty graphs or charts and we won’t be any better off.

Our device makers need to give us simple ways to exchange data between devices and their corresponding pieces of software. At a CWD meeting with Arlene Pinkos of FDA, someone pointed out that the inability to extract our data and use it could be considered a safety issue. Which means that the FDA should be able to ‘influence’ the device makers.

Then makers, or separate vendors, need to produce software that interprets all this disparate data to help us deal with the day to day issues as well as the longer term challenges: how to handle illnesses or exercise effectively; improving control while pregnant; etc.

I’m still waiting to see any indication the diabetes industry is seriously considering this.

8. Irv Donald
    Irv Donald July 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm | | Reply

Need a better method of managing your diabetes? iRecordit is a new diabetic management control application for the Blackberry Smartphone . Our personal experience with diabetes led us to develop this software. We believe this new method of recording health readings will make a difference to diabetics in how they manage their daily fight to maintain good blood sugar levels. It can also be teamed with a bluetooth glucometer so readings go directly to the application. The information can be e-mailed to your doctor for consultations. It has received excellent reviews.
    Please go to iRecordit.net for information

9. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 27, 2010 at 7:47 pm | | Reply

Great discussion Amy. Touching on some scary facts about docs not having the time or incentive to look through all of this data, as well as us end-users being totally overwhelmed with the information. Remember, none of us have the luxury of being able to analyze data for our full time job! We still need to live life, right!?

10. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

Great post Amy. Touching on the fact that our doctors have no incentive to help us with most of this stuff AND the fact that we are completely overwhelmed by all of it is very important. We might be able to figure it out if we had the luxury of spending all of our time analyzing it, but real life intrudes and we are too busy working to afford the tools we need.

11. Jim Brown
    Jim Brown October 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm | | Reply

Many companies will offer data gathering and graphing (including http://www.pancreum.com), but to actually have an algorithm that analizes the data and make suggestions (teach) is very hard to get FDA approval.