1. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog July 9, 2010 at 7:32 am | | Reply

We do have several glucagon kits. We keep one in her bag that we carry her supplies and OmniPod PDM around in. Another at home. And one at the school office (though there is no “nurse’s office”).

The issue I have is that when we try to train people, their eyes glaze over. It seems so complex. ESPECIALLY for young kids who only need HALF of the liquid.

Add that to the fact that we’ve never actually used it (knock on wood, I can’t believe I just typed those words, please diabetes gods don’t give us a crazy low) makes it difficult to explain.

I don’t know if in a stressful situation if I, an experienced D-Mom, could remember all the steps, let alone expect someone who is overseeing her at school and doesn’t do the day to day diabetes stuff to remember how to use it.

We NEED glucagon kits that have half the regular dosage for kids. Seriously pharma, I hope you are listening!

A couple of our glucagon kits just expired and I plan to take one to school to use for training as we meet with teachers at the beginning of the year.

I think that for young kids who are in school, there should be glucagon kits (with saline instead of the actual glucagon perhaps) that allow people to learn how to use it properly.

I would LOVE a glucagon pen and I would LOVE there to be an option of getting it with the appropriate dose.

My two cents.

2. Stella'smom
    Stella'smom July 9, 2010 at 9:36 am | | Reply

AWESOME! This is why I LOVE your website. This is great information on so many fronts. And just so you know — we do have multiple glucagon kits — one is at school, one in the medicine cabinet, and one in the diabetes kit w/ the glucometer that we ALWAYs have with us. I’m guessing that’s pretty normal for parents. And, ahem, tell your husban to suck it up and PRACTICE. Him feeling confident about using it is a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.

3. Anne Findlay
    Anne Findlay July 9, 2010 at 10:15 am | | Reply

One question… can you give less than the full dose? If not, that could be a problem.

4. Meri
    Meri July 9, 2010 at 10:15 am | | Reply

Awesome. Just awesome. The Jr. Pen with easy instructions is the answer to our prayers. Teachers always baulk at the glucagon sets. Maybe this will take away the scare factor. LOVE IT!

5. DJ's mom
    DJ's mom July 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

I have used the glucogon when my diabetic two yr old was seizing. I’m all for a more simple delivery system. I hope the junior pen can accomodate very small children.

6. Kristin
    Kristin July 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm | | Reply

I always have a glucagon pen with me, but I have never had to use it. I do replace it whenever it expires.

However, as far as I know, glucagon is not the method of choice for raising blood sugar among paramedics — they use intravenous glucose. So I don’t think that the demand for glucagon can expand to medical professionals, but it would be great for schools and PWDs.

7. Amanda
    Amanda July 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm | | Reply

While I found that table really interesting, I’d love to know when that data was from b/c if its recent, then its taking into account all the people that already have, and are using, epipens. If so, it hardly seems like a fair comparison.

8. reyna
    reyna July 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm | | Reply

As a mother of a type 1 kid, a nurse, and a sub school nurse…I have been awaiting the day for this product. I have been hearing about it for the past 2 years and am so excited for the administration of this livesaving product to be as easy as 1-2-3. Thank you for this informative post!

9. GlucaPen Fan #1
    GlucaPen Fan #1 July 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm | | Reply

That needle shield technology is so cool. You never get to see the needle, which is a big deal given the big needle that the crappy kits we have now. Despite the fact that I am unconscious when my kit gets used, I know my family and inner circle are scared of sticking me, and I want the peace of mind that they won’t hurt themselves with secondary needle sticks. I reckon that this will be really appreciated by paramedics and school nurses, not to mention my football coach!

10. GlucaPen Jr
    GlucaPen Jr July 10, 2010 at 2:01 am | | Reply

This video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdCsERsYPo0&feature=related

11. Cindy
    Cindy July 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | | Reply

I would love to have this. I gave up on keeping glucagon around years ago as my husband is like Amy’s. It’s not that I’ve ever needed it, but it would be a measure of peace of mind to have it on hand and know my husband could easily administer it.

12. Don
    Don July 10, 2010 at 2:46 pm | | Reply

This a no-brainer as a delivery system. Makes too much sense. Perhaps a carrier protein variation could stabilize liquid glucagon at room temps.

13. GlucaPen Fan#1
    GlucaPen Fan#1 July 30, 2010 at 11:36 am | | Reply

GlucaPen now has a Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=130238453681987&ref=ts

14. Glucagon
    Glucagon August 20, 2010 at 4:04 am |

[...] Diabetes Mine has a post about glucagon: Enject’s GlucaPen: Diabetes’ Answer to the EpiPen [...]

15. Cathi
    Cathi August 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm | | Reply

As the mother of 2 kids (1 w/T1D and 1 w/severe allergies) I have to say that having glucagon in a delivery system like the Epi pen is really exciting.

I’m also excited that the Glucapen will be avail in a Jr. dose. My biggest complaint/concern with the current gluc kit is that a panicky adult may over-dose (forgetting to give only 1/2) or that because everything is glass components that they will get dropped or otherwise break. A durable plastic pen with the exact dose solves all that.

I’m thinking I’m in the minority, though, on another point, because I don’t find the current gluc kits to be either too complicated or too scary, and I have just as many gluc kits readily available as I do Epi pens. I order refills thru out the yr and have at least 5 gluc kits on hand at any given time – 2 stay at school and 2 at home and 1 always in my purse. But I’ve had lots of practice mixing the glucagon and keep expired kits for that purpose.

One extra point I’d like to make – I do hope that the Glucapen will not totally replace the current syringe/vial gluc kits. There are times I really appreciate being able to draw glucagon out of a syringe. My child was dx’d @ 18 mos and is now 5 yrs. We use mini glucagon dosing several times a year – we’ve not had to use it for an emergency situtation. When my child gets a GI bug w/frequent vomiting, being able to give mini rescue doses of glucagon at home has kept him out of the ER. (We mix the glucagon with the given syringe, but then draw up a tiny dose with a typical insulin syringe for injecting sub-Q.) It is also invaluable when he gets a significant low (like in the ’30′s) in the middle of the nite and refuses to take anything by mouth. And I’ve used it to counter unintended/unexpected insulin reactions. Giving 1 unit per year of his life brings him back to target range almost instantly, with no high rebounds and no side effects. The mini dose can keep him in range for about 2 hours. Which buys me time and gives me more options to get alternate sugar in, or re-dose. It opens up options I wouldn’t otherwise have. We’ve worked out a great system with his diabetes doctors, who totally support the mini dosing, and have avoided hospital visits numerous times.

16. It’s Summer – Don’t forget your EpiPen! « Linda Long Writes!

[...] Enject’s GlucaPen: Diabetes’ Answer to the EpiPen (diabetesmine.com) [...]

17. Meri
    Meri June 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm | | Reply

I’ll take 8, please. Three for home…three for each boy at school…and two for the cars.

18. donna schindler
    donna schindler June 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm | | Reply

How many more years do we have to wait for this simple, convenient tool to help us?

19. When You Wish Upon A…Hairdryer? « Jenna’s Pet Monkey

[...] Included with her tweet is a link to a post she had written almost one year ago, which you can read here, describing a new GlucoPen that is in the works that reduces the steps required to reconstitute and [...]

20. brad
    brad October 20, 2011 at 11:44 am | | Reply

The Gluca-pen is truly revolutionary. Wouldlike to see this company move forward on the type of solution that is more automatic. there are ones today that be can be used with an iphone app and monitors regularly.

21. Lilly Diabetes Summit Sequel: A Peek at Insulin Giant's Workings : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] on is another company secret. Let’s all cross our fingers that the small company developing GlucaPen is making good [...]

22. memo
    memo December 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm | | Reply

It has been 4 years and this company just told me they have no idea when this will be a reality? is this ever really going to happen? I need this too for lows when I’m dropping and the sugar won’t get into me… this happened last week- I was too nauseous to eat anymore and started to vomit. Why does it take sooooo long to get the things we really need?