1. Tweets that mention » Breakthrough: The Discovery of Insulin and Other Medical Miracles - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by 2diabetes, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: Breakthrough: The Discovery of Insulin and Other Medical Miracles http://bit.ly/d1gvxc #diabetes [...]

2. Cara
    Cara July 22, 2010 at 7:30 am | | Reply

I have Type 1 diabetes. My niece is in remission from Hodgkin’s. Because of that, this story touches me in two ways.

3. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales July 22, 2010 at 2:47 pm | | Reply

I too was 11 when diagnosed. Before I went to sleep at night my dad would try to cheer me up by telling me about how just decades ago, I would have not been so lucky as to have insulin to keep me alive. And so although I felt frustration and anger and hurt, I did over time feel blessed. We are lucky to have insulin and all of the other technologies like meters that give us our glucose in under 5 seconds. This was a very touching story and I’m going to have to get the book! I think the most powerful point he made was about how we need to not take life for granted. Some diabetics make it a long time and some unfortunately don’t. How do we know which one we are? I guess we take care of ourselves the best we can and cherish each day.

4. Arthur Ainsberg, Guest Blog on DiabetesMine.Com « Breakthrough

[...] A guest blog, written by  Arthur Ainsberg, was posted yesterday on DiabetesMine.com. DiabetesMine was founded by Amy Tenderich, who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in May [...]

5. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the guest post Arthur. I just received my advanced copy, and am digging into it as we speak.

6. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell July 28, 2010 at 7:38 am | | Reply

I read this excellent book. It was riveting, a real page turner. As a diabetes blogger, I’m so used to explaining diabetes to people that Elizabeth’s reluctance to talk about seems strange. But she had lived through years of very strict dietary restrictions before going on insulin, perhaps that affected her outlook.

7. vindi
    vindi August 7, 2010 at 4:05 am | | Reply

excellent n touching article

8. lawrence richard phillips
    lawrence richard phillips October 7, 2010 at 5:15 am | | Reply

My aunt was a young diabetic in 1921. She died in 1923 and was given insulin at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis. Thank you for writing the book, today we jsut do not understand what it was like before insulin

Lawrence Phillips