1. All Quiet on the Blogging Front. « Lemonade Life

[...] bit longer before you’ll see another true post here at Lemonade Life, because today I am kicking it over at Diabetes Mine. I’m chatting about diabetes and independence, but this time I’m focusing on [...]

2. Lorraine
    Lorraine June 1, 2010 at 7:34 am | | Reply

Great points and summarization, Allison. Thanks to you and Amy for taking the time to bring this valuable perspective to us.

3. Cara
    Cara June 1, 2010 at 8:00 am | | Reply

I agree 100% with all of these tips!

4. Tina
    Tina June 1, 2010 at 8:35 am | | Reply

I totally agree when you say, kids want to be like their friends. Having a normal life is what they want. I think we better prevent, than cure. So, take a good care of their meals.

That’s the best way in my mind..

Tina

5. Jeff
    Jeff June 1, 2010 at 12:45 pm | | Reply

Allison, thank you so much. Our 11-year-old Son is on the cusp of “tweeness”, if you know what I mean. He enters middle school next year, which is a huge step for him, and for us. Does anyone know of any good books about tweens and diabetes?

6. Lisa
    Lisa June 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm | | Reply

Thank you Allison, it is always great to hear your perspective! The main themes seem to be understanding, and communicating honestly with your child. For me the biggest challenge of parenting a tween with diabetes is finding that perfect balance of backing off and allowing my son to pave his own way while still being there for him, helping him and making sure he is safe. I know these are the same issues that parents of tweens without diabetes face but diabetes just adds that extra layer!

7. Colleen
    Colleen June 3, 2010 at 12:36 pm | | Reply

Great post, Allison! Words of wisdom that are applicable to many more issues that kids might deal with than just diabetes.

8. Tony
    Tony June 3, 2010 at 9:00 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the perspective.
    I had a mother of a young girl with type 1 talk to me about her frustration and feeling of helplessness as her daughter enters her teenage years. I will forward her a link to your post.

9. Grand Rounds Vo. 6 No. 37 — Best edition ever. Maybe. - MDiTV: Medical News Crowd Sourcing Community

[...] Diabetes Mine gives advice to parents with teens that have Type 1 diabetes. Some Down-to-Earth Advice for Parents of Teens and Tweens with Diabetes. [...]

10. Dwight J. Emery
    Dwight J. Emery June 16, 2010 at 9:40 am | | Reply

After 36 years of type one diabetes, diagnosed at age six I’m still not well adjusted! LOL! I hate it and will always hate diabetes!

But this would have been nice to have when I was 16 to read, or have had a parent use. It might make a difference with some youth.

I was a rebel, still am in some respects! I’m a dialysis patient now, so I’d advise to monitor bg’s often no matter what the results, and report those results to a doc often. Discipline with diabetes is key, and understanding. Don’t punish for the desires that are normal, like eating candy, teach kids how to compensate and take extra insulin when they want something that most “think” they can’t have. If you don’t teach kids to compensate for these things, if they are like me when I was a youth, they will “have them” anyway!

Basically with diabetes type one, pay now, or pay later. That is the choice we get, pay now with discipline, or pay later with complications. Choose wisely, the price either way isn’t easy! And it will never be “easy”, I’ve had 36 years to learn that the hard way.

DJ Emery

11. Brian
    Brian June 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm | | Reply

Thanks you for the insight.
    I had a girlfriend talk to me about her frustration and feeling of helplessness as her son enters his teenage years. She spent most of her time and money to try to win this battle. I will forward her a link to your post.

12. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson June 28, 2010 at 12:28 am | | Reply

Great guest post Allison!

13. All Quiet on the Blogging Front. | Lemonade Life

14. Shannon
    Shannon January 15, 2011 at 9:29 am | | Reply

Very helpful post! After our last A1C of 8.5, I wondered if we had given over the reigns too early. I really do not like to nag because my son does such an excellent job caring for himself. He is very smart with math and has completely memorized carb counts and uses critical thinking to raise or lower basal down to the decimal. I have really wanted to avoid rebellion. So your comment….” once the lying starts, it is hard to stop”, gives a little confirmation that perhaps we have made the right choice. He is completely honest always, even when he isn’t “perfect.”