1. Pubsgal
    Pubsgal June 10, 2010 at 11:12 am | | Reply

Wow, this is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story, John, and thanks for featuring John here, Amy!

I can’t help but wonder if perhaps, in some individuals (such as myself), undiagnosed diabetes contributes to obesity and sedentary lifestyle? (High blood sugars->tired, hungry->lack of inclination to exercise+desire to eat->higher blood sugars?) Once diagnosed and treated–through diet, exercise, and metformin–I’ve found the changes in my body and energy levels to be quite amazing. (The “Big Blue Test” was especially eye-opening for me, as to the power of even a mild exercise like walking on affecting blood glucose levels.)

2. The poor diabetic
    The poor diabetic June 11, 2010 at 4:52 am | | Reply

As a type 2 diabetic, you are an inspiration to many of us living with the D especially myself, my aspirations of being a cyclist. I love riding and while this coincides with my fitness requirements for diabetes management, I do not think that I would be able to not cycle if I was told not to. So thanks on reinforcing my belief that you can do anything if you set your mind to it whether you have the big D or not.
    Ronn Gregory

3. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson June 28, 2010 at 12:36 am | | Reply

I love that John is so open to share his story. He is so right in that diabetes doesn’t discriminate, and is doing all of us a service by living as an example for many.

4. Mandy Higgins
    Mandy Higgins June 29, 2010 at 8:43 pm | | Reply

I’m a Type 2 diabetic who exercised about twice a week before I was diagnosed. It was a hard piece of news to accept. However, since then, I’ve hunkered down and now work out about five times a week, losing weight and improving my A1c greatly in the process. I stay motivated with my vast collection of home fitness DVDs, which cover a variety of disciplines from cardio to yoga. I write a blog about the DVDs I use called Fantastic Fitness DVDs by Mandy Higgins.

5. Wolfgang Loss-Wells
    Wolfgang Loss-Wells March 2, 2012 at 8:37 am | | Reply

If only there were more resources for type-2 diabetics that don’t have weight-loss as a goal. I find that all resources for diabetic athletes, and fitness training that are not weight-loss related are geared exclusively to Type-1 diabetics.

A topic of particular interest to myself is how to increase muscle mass through weight training, protein supplementation as a type-2 Diabetic without getting the sugar spike associated with whey protein intake.

I would love to hear your suggestions on higher calorie / high protein diets for highly active type-2 diabetics.

6. Questions You Have About Diabetic Diet Recipes Type 2 |

[...] make quinoa cakes, substitute in a fried rice recipe… You get the idea.Powered by Yahoo! AnswersRichard asks…What happens when your blood sugar gets two high ? when you are a "Type 2 Diabetic"Se…What happens when your blood sugar gets two high ? when you are a "Type 2 Diabetic"Send me a menue 4 [...]

7. The Inbox - Diabetes Daily Voices
    The Inbox - Diabetes Daily Voices May 9, 2012 at 10:18 am |

[...] Diabetes Mine interviewed John Anderson, one of the first members of Team Type 2, spun off from the endurance cycling group aptly named Team Type 1.  A lifelong athlete, he certainly busts the myth that only “fat and lazy” people get type 2 diabetes.  He proves that anyone can succeed at an endurance sport. [...]

8. Jerre Paquette
    Jerre Paquette November 5, 2012 at 8:12 pm | | Reply

I appreciate John’s story–sorry it took me two years to read it, but glad it’s still hanging around online.

I am concerned though that John and virtually every person commenting seems to assume Diabetes 2 is a permanent condition–it is not. I agree with the individual who complained about doctors who treat type 2 with type 1 remedies, with no success, and therefore encouraging patients to think they have to live with their diabetes.

No one has to live with type 2 diabetes.

9. calvin klein jeans
    calvin klein jeans January 16, 2013 at 4:04 pm | | Reply

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any methods to help stop content from being ripped off? I’d truly appreciate it.

10. louis vuitton bolsos
    louis vuitton bolsos January 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm | | Reply

When some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she needs to
    be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained
    over here.

11. Alex Miller
    Alex Miller August 26, 2013 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Jerre, please elaborate if you know how to permanently remove the specter of type 2 from our lives. While it does seem straight forward enough to eliminate the symptoms through diet and exercise for many (unless that is not enough and medication is required), I have not found any resources that indicate it will not crop up again if that regimine is interrupted or not followed religiously. My challenges go through phases, and despite (because of?) being an endurance athlete, i am struggling with finding the right diet to support my efforts but then not causing spikes during rest periods. Sometimes life makes it impossible to exercise every day, and if there is a rebound, then that is still “living with it.” I have not heard of the challenge being eliminated. It seems progressive in my family, and my mother just got a diagnosis, despite very good eating habits and having gotten her sugars under control (temporarily) several years ago with her diet and moderate exercise. your comment seems to put the blame on the patient again. Please provide links and resources to support your claim, as we are all of course interested.