1. Scott S
    Scott S June 22, 2010 at 9:19 am | | Reply

This strikes me as a lot little demanding a breathalyzer sometimes mandated by the courts for those involved in drunk-driving accidents before a car will start. While I can see the desire for parents to control every element of their child with diabetes’, I would hope that by the time a child is old enough to drive a car, they’ve demonstrated sufficient maturity to also test before driving. If a kid cannot demonstrate that, then the burden is on the parents to say no to allowing the kid to get their driver’s license. But the biggest hole in this device is that while someone may be fine at the time they start the car, blood glucose levels can drop (and often rapidly), and this device fails to address that. Also, what’s to stop a friend from taking the test on their behalf? I’m not convinced the world really needs this product, or that PWD’s will really have much benefit from it.

2. Laura
    Laura June 22, 2010 at 11:08 am | | Reply

I agree with the above comment. Parents need to be responsible enough to say “no” if a child will not test responsibly. If a PWD won’t test then he or she also can find several ways around this system. Sorry, but I feel that there is a need for many more items related to diabetes management but not this device. PWD’s already have a way to see if it is safe to drive.This is disappointing. Laura

3. Vanessa Reagan
    Vanessa Reagan June 22, 2010 at 2:48 pm | | Reply

I initially liked this idea, as I have a teenage son who just began driving. He just got his permit and will get his license soon. But after further thought, I think I would just prefer to check his meter frequently to see if he indeed tested. If he fails my “spot checks”, he will lose his driving privileges.

4. kt
    kt June 22, 2010 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

Maybe if we had more reliable CGM, and this integrated a CGM system instead, I could get behind it. Even then its a maybe. Otherwise, there are other areas I would much rather see the money (and energy) go.

I’m sadly a tad disappointed that this won the judges’ approval.

5. T1
    T1 June 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm | | Reply

What I’d love is a way to test WHILE driving — a gadget that I could stick my finger into on the dashboard, rather than having to open a bottle, access a strip, place it into a meter, prick a finger, and, worst of all — b/c it requires taking your eyes off the road for a split second — placing a drop on the strip.

I can’t imagine any adult T1′s do not sometimes test while driving – at a stoplight, or on a long highway drive, for example. It’s important information we need and, like every other way in which we lead our lives, we incorporate it into what we do. So I was all excited for the tester I could install on my dashboard and get a reading while driving. This one, sorry to say, sounds punitive and somewhat demeaning (going so far as to compare it with drunk driving, which also seems a bit crass to me).

6. Ryan Hartranft
    Ryan Hartranft June 23, 2010 at 12:14 am | | Reply

Like every other person commenting on this video, it is a good idea…. IF it was a real problem. 99.9% of diabetics know when they are low. This only helps them when they start driving, not if they drop while driving. A reliable CGM would be much more beneficial. Your video makes it sound like diabetics are similar to drunk drivers in that they know their sugar is low and they drive anyway, recklessly. However, this isn’t the case. You are calling diabetics unresponsible, unlawful and belligerent. There is no data to suggest there is enough “low drivers” for a device like this, and no insurance company will get behind it when a cheap CGM is more accurate, especially during driving, and more affordable. It is clear you are not a diabetic and your son does not intentionally drive “low.” What you need is a CGM and to make sure your son recognizes the obvious signs/feelings of low blood sugar levels not an overly expensive mandated device that only works for a fraction of actual drive time.

7. Ryan Hartranft
    Ryan Hartranft June 23, 2010 at 12:24 am | | Reply

Like most of the other comments posted, I think this would be a great idea….IF this was a real prs ng. Also, you video makes it sound as if diabetics are driving “Low” on purpose like drunk drivers, which isn’t the case. An accurate CGM would solve all these problems without the expensive interface into an automobile. Plus. 99.9% of diabetics know when they are low. This isn’t a real problem effecting many diabetics, and you cannot find any substantial data to support a need for a device like this. And I GUARANTEE you the picture you used is from a drunk driver, not a diabetic. I am actually ashamed you would compare the two. If your son has problem with “Low” driving he is a minority and the rest of us shouldn’t be held responsible for his neglect.

8. Mike
    Mike June 23, 2010 at 3:29 am | | Reply

If a breathalyzer will figure my BG out before I drive my mom’s car [note, I'm 42, I'm not gonna say how old my mom is...], why can’t I go buy one at the drugstore?

9. Cary
    Cary June 23, 2010 at 11:42 am | | Reply

@AmyT
    This is an idea that does not even come close to the K-I-S-S (keep it simple stupid) methodology and does smell somewhat punative.

We already have a device that does this function — glucometers, cgms, etc. A better solution (if you are trying follow KISS) would be to have a an car-key cover that says “test yet?” and is easily pushed aside before inserting it into the ignition (it would flip back to cover the key after use). It’s a soft “nudge” that most people need – not a complicated system that locks down the car (what I think their product wants to do).

A simple <$5 peice of plastic. Did we just solve that same problem without any technology?

Let JDRF/ADA/Drs offices hand them out and have BG meter companies co-brand it/include it with a new meter package.

10. cathyA
    cathyA June 23, 2010 at 11:45 am | | Reply

Wow this “Test Drive” Idea sounds really great! I think ideas such as this one should be considered and discussed to help jumpstart more conversations about driving safety for all kinds of people. This idea obviously came from someone concerned about diabetics, not only for their safety and others on the road, but to help with job qualifications and insurance liability. I can see something similar to this being applicable for lots of people with various health issues, including the senior citizen population. Lots of people who aren’t diabetic often experiences weakness and dizzy spells from low blood sugar and don’t even realize what’s happening. Thanks Barbara for suggesting this idea and being concerned and brave enough to put your thoughts out there to share with others. Thanks to all the people who are constantly trying to think of innovative new ideas to encourage more discussions like this and possibly create some future devices that can really help make a difference in quality of life and saving the lives of others.

11. T1
    T1 June 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm | | Reply

@Amy,

>>You are entitled to your opinion, but there is no need for you to be so belligerent.

I didn’t find Ryan’s comment belligerant, but that’s just me. My non-diabetic hubby watched the video with me (coincidentally he was in the office when I played it) and his jaws dropped when we both realized what this device is and does. We were just stunned by the implications of this device, and by the comparison with drunk driving (the visuals said it all). (and, of course, if someone accidentally used a photo of a drunk driver, um, well, that’s kinda bad…)

If you read most of the other opinions above, I just think this idea gives a lot of us the willies – including me. I was diagnosed at 15 and drove after receiving my license at 16. I learned responsibility, which included being on top of my diabetes, as well as knowing not to drink and drive (or, really, not to drink and bolus, as a PWD). But most of us survive adolescence. Even if we live six hours away from our parents.

I, too, am surprised that with all the great ideas out there, that this one struck the judges as phenomenal, but what do I know? My first reaction was, there are a lot of worried parents out there who let thoughts of their kids being harmed impede their judgment about what T1 kids really need (and I agree with Ryan – a good CGM with a good alarm system is all that’s needed). My 2c.

PS I am also giving Ryan the benefit of the doubt that he only posted twice when it appeared his first one did not “go through,” which occasionally happens on the site.

12. T1
    T1 June 23, 2010 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

PS I do kinda doubt the stat that 99.9% of us PWD T1′s know when we’re low, I also do like the idea — it boosts my confidence in my own (non-autonomic nervous system response) cues.

13. Joe90
    Joe90 June 24, 2010 at 1:58 am | | Reply

I’m stunned by the negativity surrounding this entry. I work in a design environment and such behaviour only achieves one thing – the stifling of future innovation. Everyone’s points are valid but there are ways of expressing them without attacking. One quick point, if you were standing in court after being involved in an accident where someone was seriously hurt or killed, how useful would it be to be able to prove that diabetes had nothing to do with it? That wouldn’t just help you but all diabetics who could end up being stigmatised. For what’s it worth, I think there are issues with the concept but it would presumably be voluntary? Could reduce your car insurance too.

14. T1
    T1 June 24, 2010 at 10:20 pm | | Reply

bummer. I could tell you were very upset, but assumed it was just in response to what we could all read on the blog. I’ll take heed of Joe90′s comment that how we express a negative reaction to a new idea may indeed stifle more new ones. Didn’t mean to be such a tough audience.