1. Scott S
    Scott S June 17, 2010 at 6:51 am | | Reply

I think the adoption route is more common than we might believe, frankly. My sister, who has type 1, also went that route after numerous attempts (some of which had anything to do with her, it does take 2 to parent a child after all), and it was a very happy outcome, fortunately. There are also lessons to be learned from the experiences of others, so thanks for sharing!

2. Cara
    Cara June 17, 2010 at 11:01 am | | Reply

I am adopted and plan on adopting. But living w/ T1 diabetes for 24 years makes me think it might be an issue. I am glad to know that others are doing it sucessfully.

3. Nyx
    Nyx June 17, 2010 at 12:10 pm | | Reply

Diabetes can be one issue when adopting that one faces, but there are others that can make it impossible to do so because of the nature of the medical condition the person has. This is what DH and I faced if we chose to adopt, but its not something either of us have an interest in since we are firmly ChildFree. But we did look into it because we are both infertile, so wonted to know what our options would have been had we changed our minds about wonting a little person.

4. k2
    k2 June 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm | | Reply

I’m happy for, and inspired by these women!!
    My oldest sister (also a t1) has three children, and her first 2 pregnancies were rough. Ironically, her 3rd (10 years after she got her tubes untied, and 10 & 12 years after her older sons were born) was problem free & she had a c-section 3 days before her due date.
    I’ve always wanted to adopt & give birth. As of late, I’ve been thinking about the adoption route a lot and I’m SO open to it.
    TIme will tell~
    Kelly K

5. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston June 17, 2010 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

Thank you for publishing this post, Amy. With so much talk about “you can have a healthy baby with Type 1 Diabetes,” it’s comforting to know that there are other T1′s like me out there who, for whatever reason, found that the only available route to familyhood was adoption.

6. Lili
    Lili June 28, 2010 at 9:43 am | | Reply

I’m really worried about this, to be honest. I have several other conditions in addition to diabetes, and it might tip me over the edge for certain countries. We want to adopt from China, but it may be tricky given my medical issues. Even though they don’t really affect me, what matters is the perception on the other end. They do seem to routinely deny diabetics with challenging diabetes issues. We also looked at Taiwan, where the mother chooses the family for the most part. Diabetes may be a large part of that decision.

7. Ang
    Ang July 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

This is very interesting for me to read. My husband is a type 2 diabetic and we are at the age to have children. I respect everyone of you who adopted. We are discussing adoption and I wonder how my husband would be looked at for being the one with diabetes. One thing that would be interesting to know is how many people adopted because they were worried they would pass on the diabetes? We have talked about having genetic testing to see if we should have children.

8. Stephanie
    Stephanie September 26, 2010 at 12:36 am | | Reply

Thank you so much for your story. Its very uplifting as I am beginning to become more and more disheartened and discouraged with the whole adoption process. I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 11 , and went through early menopause at 19. My husband and I are two people who value family very much – and would love to just have another person to love and care for in our family. There are times that I just become so discouraged and almost give up… I really do find a lot of consolation in your story , and I thank you very much for that!

9. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell December 23, 2010 at 11:31 am | | Reply

Amy, I only caught this post from your year end summary.

We’ve adopted three beautiful children from China over the last 15 years (phew). Each time we need to get a letter about me from a doctor saying that my health was good and my life expectancy shouldn’t be shortened because my diabetes is under control (hah!). Surprisingly getting those letters was one of the easiest parts of the process.

The other place where diabetes impacted the process was on our trips to China. Thankfully I was on a pump for the 2nd and 3rd trip, that made life a lot ‘easier’, though bolusing properly for food I didn’t know was NOT easy. Still I made it through and we remain blessed by our kids!

10. artsweet
    artsweet January 14, 2013 at 9:01 pm | | Reply

I saw that I got a couple of visitors from this post, so I just wanted to post a quick update… after 2.5 years of waiting, we were matched with an expectant mom, and our wonderful daughter “Posy” was born in June of last year! Open adoption is awesome, and we couldn’t be more blessed.

1. ThinkingAboutIt
      ThinkingAboutIt January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am | | Reply

Congratulations! I’m also a Type I thinking in adoption. I already have a 8 year old daughter (I developed T1 Diabetes after my pregnancy). I wish you and your family all the happiness that can be achieved. :-)