1. Tweets that mention » ADA Device Report: New ‘Jewel Pump’ is Best in Show - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Christopher, JCampbell. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: ADA Device Report: New ‘Jewel Pump’ is Best in Show http://bit.ly/cZKk4n #diabetes [...]

2. Will Update Later « A Consequence of Hypoglycemia.

[...] things for you. One, I was forwarded this link to a post from Amy Tenderich at Diabetes Mine. It’s a pump that, among other awesome features, you control with your Android phone. I know I’ve talked a lot about the possible switch to a pump recently, and this upcoming [...]

3. Lorraine
    Lorraine June 28, 2010 at 7:25 am | | Reply

Fantastic overview! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing more about the Jewel, although without a separate controller, not sure it will be suitable for young kids who don’t have an Android phone. Not necessarily a show stopper, but something to consider.

4. Nicolas Webb
    Nicolas Webb June 28, 2010 at 8:01 am | | Reply

Yes, yes, YES! Pump that can be controlled by an “open” device!

I realize that getting FDA approval for that kind of software is probably bureaucratic in the extreme, but I would love to see this kind of thing open to an iPhone and Windows 7 mobile O/S’s, too.

@Lorraine, I bet they’ll have some kind of deal with a device manufacturer (probably HTC) that’ll get you a minimal handset (likely only Bluetooth, no cellular) that can control the device.

5. Lorraine
    Lorraine June 28, 2010 at 8:21 am | | Reply

@Nicholas I agree. I hope so. I would actually worry about a sleek phone getting stolen at school. No one is too interested in Caleb’s current PDM (or even his very simple cell phone.)

6. Chuck
    Chuck June 28, 2010 at 8:50 am | | Reply

In terms of the Jewell, what if you don’t own a cell phone?

7. Kassie
    Kassie June 28, 2010 at 10:45 am | | Reply

I hope they have a non-phone controller. I have an issue with all this diabetes development tied to smart phones, they are snazzy but we have so many people with diabetes who can’t afford their current monthly diabetes costs. I worry about adding the monthly costs of smart phones to the mix. I can’t imagine insurers will cover phones – in fact, I’d be opposed to making health insurers cover phones. It’s a tricky balance, technology and cost.

8. Wendy
    Wendy June 28, 2010 at 11:01 am | | Reply

I was going to suggest the same thing as Lorraine….my daughter doesn’t have a cell phone, much less a fancier one than I have! She’s only 7!!!!!!!

Though the Jewel does look appealing….that being said, however, all of the main contenders will have an integrated CGM soon. Does that leave the Jewel behind before it even starts? I would consider a pump such as Jewel or Solo because of the IOB feature and ability to dose from the “pod” itself……but I’d like to see them hit the market completely integrated with a CGM….and those are probably pretty high hopes…..

9. June S.
    June S. June 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm | | Reply

Very interesting technology out there! Thanks for having reported to us about it!

I only question this statement: – “They use the same exact adhesive material as the OmniPod, so least likely to irritate the skin” I am a former OmniPodder who found that their adhesive DID irritate my skin – very much. I was wishing a company would try a new adhesive that would adhere but not mess with very sensitive skin.

10. The poor diabetic
    The poor diabetic June 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

Just added a few things to my bucket list lol hopefully jewel is listening to the non phone rumbles in the DOC

11. Tricia
    Tricia June 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm | | Reply

I am very intrigued by the Jewel pump, but it won’t work for me as I am now quite allergic to the OmniPod tape… any idea what kind of tape the Solo uses? Same as the pod tape or different? I am missing my wireless pump!!

12. Penny
    Penny June 29, 2010 at 4:37 am | | Reply

Interesting. I am also concerned as a parent of a 7 year old T1 that everything is tied to a smartphone. I understand the convenience, but I also agree with Kassie – we have so many people in this country who can’t afford simple testing supplies, now a phone? Great for some people, not for everyone I guess.

13. LLS
    LLS June 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm | | Reply

Interesting and fun looking, but for those of us who cannot afford a smart phone, what good is it?
    The economy has hit us more than hard, and right now it’s hard enough affording insurance and supplies.

14. Cara
    Cara June 30, 2010 at 6:45 pm | | Reply

Some of this stuff looks AMAZING! I love advances in technology. :)

15. Clarke
    Clarke June 30, 2010 at 10:18 pm | | Reply

I think there should be a disclaimer regarding the expertise of the blogger. For example, take this current article regarding the Jewel pump. Great technology, no doubt. But is this technology alone capable of improving the outcome of A1c in comparison to a sensor augmented pump? No. So when you cite someone who calls the Jewel Pump “Best in Show”, look what happens. Now http://www.jewelpump.com cites “diabetes mine” as calling the pump “Best in Show”. The sad reality of bloggers is the fact that experience does not always qualify for medical expertise. Please state this is your best opinion as a pumper, and not as a prescribing physician. Nice to see how something innocent can be taken so far out of context. I am sure there were several key scientific findings that are overshadowed by this “Best in Show” pump that provides nothing other than convenience. Add a CGM to the Jewel and I will stand behind you saying that it is best in show. Until then, it’s just another pump with great promise sitting on a shelf in another country.

16. david
    david July 1, 2010 at 12:35 am | | Reply

Clarke, there is a disclaimer located within the right column. It’s been there for as long as I can remember.

Progress in micro technology is amazing and as impatient as I can feel sometimes, we are in the early years of CGM and tubeless pumping. We’re going to have some real options within a few years and integration is inevitable.

Could a smartphone be configured to work as dedicated diabetes device without a sim card and paying for a cell phone subscription? How about a fingerprint reader so I don’t have to input my password every time I answer a text!

17. Chris
    Chris July 2, 2010 at 3:57 pm | | Reply

Wow…. I know it might take a while or never get here, but the jewel looks really incredible. I was kind of disappointed to read the comments here and see so many lacking my enthusiasm :)

First, even if they don’t come out with a device that can be used in place of a smartphone, you can still buy an unlocked phone for about $500 – which is less than 10% of the cost of a traditional pump. My first pump cost me $1000 out of pocket even with insurance.

Second,I understand pumps are designed for people with “juvenile” diabetes, bit we aren’t all juveniles! As a 31 year old, I would gladly trade off some child safety features for more advanced features, user control, and convience. One day your child will be an adult too and would probably appreciate diabetic devices that aren’t necessarily so easy to use that a child can do it.

18. kdroberts
    kdroberts July 6, 2010 at 11:38 am | | Reply

Regarding the controller, if you go to the pumps website, click the “discover the JewelPUMP” button and look at the PDF it says “Blutooth remote control and personal phone included in your jewelPUMP system”

@Clarke, did you read the article? It clearly states “Dr. Rich Jackson of the Joslin Diabetes Center even went so far as to call it “best in show.””

19. Aaron
    Aaron July 14, 2010 at 10:55 am | | Reply

You do all know that android is only an open source operation system that is completely scalable, most of the times it is only in a phone but there are some TV manufactures that are starting to integrate it in to 50in TV’s. So the concern that you need to use a phone for this device is completely unfounded , all they would have to do is make a 3rd party device that only has the os and the app (locked to be its only function).
    And also look @ it from the manufactures side, no proprietary HW required to activate and operate it, so a lower overhead, and with an open source code for an os you can make the device available from different suppliers, like HTC , or Motorola , or anyone else that wants to.

20. Yvan Lamontagne
    Yvan Lamontagne September 1, 2010 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

I read a fair number of reports about the JewelPUMP and I am excited about it because of it is a real departure from the heavy and cumbersome (external tubing) alternatives at this point in time. My worry is about costs. The replacement of the insulin reservoir, battery and pumping system every sixth day will probably make this solution very expensive on a daily basis.

A large number of people including me won’t be able to afford it since the costs won’t be covered by medical insurance.

I haven’t seen a single piece of information about such costs. Even the company that produces the JewelPUMP does not bother to provide a vague estimation of the costs involved. I should stop here. The coming of the JewelPUMP is a classic example of capitalism. Here comes a promising product destined to diabetics that have the means to afford it.

21. DANNI
    DANNI September 22, 2010 at 7:28 pm | | Reply

I am know on the omnipod systems. I love my omnipod but being very active I am always looking for new and smaller tubless units. The jewelpump is awesome…..I have family in Switzerland. I am hoping that we are able to get one for me to try.

22. deon
    deon January 24, 2011 at 12:08 am | | Reply

am wondering how long this product will take to get to south africa.it looks like an awsom unit,and where would you download the application ,i really do want one .

23. Susanna
    Susanna February 9, 2011 at 12:44 am | | Reply

I would also like such a wireless insulin delivery system with a 15 year old daughter. Hungary still with us would not hear of such a device may be near future, it is unlikely that this will be with us. This is not fair.
    I want the best treatment for my child, then maybe in 2015. Have the opportunity to buy this system?

24. Insulinpumpa
    Insulinpumpa February 10, 2011 at 5:59 am |

[...] [...]

25. kelly
    kelly February 21, 2011 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

when is the Jewel pump expected to be available to buy?

26. Ellen
    Ellen June 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm | | Reply

Thanks Amy – great report – looking forward to more. Jewel Pump’s website http://www.jewelpump.com/ is already quoting and linking to your blog post http://www.jewelpump.com/ . (BTW, I still have flip flops from the makers of POGO from years ago at ADA that say OnQ all over them, and agree – will believe it when it finally makes it to market. Also wish the drum had more than 10 lancets/strips. )

27. Ellen
    Ellen June 26, 2011 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

Oops someone else shared this blog post and now I see it’s dated June 28, 2010

28. Diabetes Week in Orlando - Diabetes Daily Voices

[...] check out a ton of new products on the market.  As a happy OmniPod wearer, my favorite was the Jewel Pump.  I look forward to seeing more of what is coming on the market in terms of patch pumps. [...]

29. Julie Graham
    Julie Graham May 19, 2014 at 8:28 am | | Reply

Personally I’d love to see a pump which can be controlled by smart phones. most smart phones these days have built in text to speech (voice over) which makes it accessible to blind and partially sighted people. it will be cheaper for pump companies to develop an app for a device which is already voice over enabled than it would be for them to make a pump which talks. I know I’m commenting on an old post but still waiting in 2014 for that perfect pump.

30. Karri
    Karri June 25, 2014 at 4:49 pm | | Reply

This includes contacting an industrial painting
    contractor supplied his own itemized fixed fee, the higher the pressure and rusty water, fuel
    pump assemblies, foot pedals, fuel, tugboats, security, and if they are school bus in a contractor.

On June 16, 2011. Many deals happen this way they spend a lot of people selling similar services, or Long Island home, it does help
    to provide more accurate price estimate with your daily company functions.

31. Stephany
    Stephany June 25, 2014 at 4:52 pm | | Reply

Did you know that school bus to avoid any kind of went through Bishop’s home
    in November 2010. So, if you are not ready to leak as the cost for your home you should also ask to look to your handy-dandy phone
    book or even office.