1. Karen
    Karen May 3, 2010 at 7:32 am | | Reply

I was fortunate enough to attend a Health Activist Meet Up that WEGO Health put together last month. Laurie led the breakout session I participated in, and through talking with her and the others in the session I realized how disease specific my thinking tends to be. “All diabetes, all the time” has caused me to miss making connections with people living with other chronic illnesses and has kept me from realizing how much we have in common. I look forward to expanding my horizons from now on!

2. k2
    k2 May 3, 2010 at 3:41 pm | | Reply

WONDERFUL advice from an AMAZING woman.
    No matter what the disease, we all have much to learn from one another, and have more similarities than differences.
    We are all CHRONICALLY FANTASTIC!

Thank you Laurie and Amy!

Kelly K

3. Sara
    Sara May 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm | | Reply

Great post!

I would also add “Strong at the Broken Places” by Richard Cohen to this reading list. A great compilation of stories of people living with chronic conditions.

4. Laurie Edwards
    Laurie Edwards May 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm | | Reply

Thanks so much for posting this, Amy! It’s such an important topic because we all have so much we can learn from each other.

5. stattkatze
    stattkatze May 4, 2010 at 1:26 am | | Reply

Such an important post. Thank you.

Living with a bright bunch of chronic diseases I have learned:

Diabetes 1 is the one I would keep, if that meant losing the rest.
    Despite its ballerina fickleness, it is the one condition I can “work with”.

I have become a much better teacher. Worrying about my own abilities has made me more tolerant towards the weaknesses of others. I have learned patience. But I have also learned not to listen to the kind of doctors and bosses who suggested I should stop working six years ago.

You cannot measure someone else’s pain.

6. Lyrehca
    Lyrehca May 4, 2010 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

Laurie is smart beyond her years. Thanks, Amy, for a great post.

7. Joey
    Joey August 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm | | Reply

I love Laurie’s ability to find common ground between multiple types of illnesses. So many blogs focus on just one CI but focusing on common themes IMO allows the dialogue of CI to achieve critical mass & get closer to mainstream.

But besides the personal commonalities, I think there is much common ground between us physically that just hasn’t been discovered yet. Although I don’t have diabetes, I’m interested in learning as much about other diseases that have autoimmune components as possible. There are, what 80+ autoimmune diseases? Regardless of my opinion on whether they are all separate entities (and I do believe they are) I think that focusing on commonalities between our conditions can allow research into root causes of autoimmunity to progress at a much faster pace.

I look forward to reading more of your blog!