1. riva
    riva May 4, 2010 at 6:28 am | | Reply

I was all fired up about the solo last year when we first got whiff of it. It’s smaller, sleeker profile than Omnipod really spoke to me and the fact that you can bolus from the reservoir. As you know, Roche having now acquired the Solo Micropump, it doesn’t look like it’s going to make an appearance in the marketplace this year. Meanwhile of course Omnipod may make good on its talk about rivaling the Solo in size. But as far as the detaching aspect of Solo, I’ve heard even if you detach for 30 minutes your blood sugar starts rising significantly. Anyone else hear that? riva

2. Greg C
    Greg C May 4, 2010 at 6:57 am | | Reply

Due to the 18 month push back in release date, I am assuming Roche is doing some sort of “tweeking” to the design. Medtronic is having their annual analyst meeting on June 7th, so expect to hear some more details about their forthcoming patch pump. This was the meeting last year when they announced that they were working on a patch pump. Insulet (Omnipod) should submit its Omnipod/Seven+ integrated CGM product very soon.

3. Sara
    Sara May 4, 2010 at 7:00 am | | Reply

I received my demo a while back and never tried it, I guess I should dig that sucker out!!

I can’t tell but it looks about the same length and width as the OmniPod, but is it slightly flatter?

4. riva
    riva May 4, 2010 at 7:18 am | | Reply

About 2/3 rds the thickness and just seems less clunky

5. katerina
    katerina May 4, 2010 at 7:22 am | | Reply

Omnipod is talking about a 1/3 smaller pump coming out soon. Does anybody know more about that? The solo looks exactly the size of the pod.

6. Scott S
    Scott S May 4, 2010 at 7:33 am | | Reply

The big win, from my perspective, is not the size of the Solo pod, but a few of the improvements they’ve made over the Omnipod. Notable for me is the ability to bolus without the remote control. Anyone who’s ever lost a TV remote or left their cell phone at home before going out might appreciate that feature, because your dinner out at a restaurant won’t necessarily be ruined by the inability to bolus. As for the detach-ability of the Solo, to me, that’s nice, but not a make-or-break feature.

7. Penny
    Penny May 4, 2010 at 7:49 am | | Reply

My daughter, age 7, is currently using the OmniPod. The news is that the Pod is coming out 45% smaller than the current model, available by the end of this year, early 2011. To me, the Solo doesn’t look any smaller than the current OmniPod. As for the detachability, it’s much like disconnecting a tubed pump, which doesn’t make or break choosing the Solo for my daughter.

8. Penny
    Penny May 5, 2010 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

What about the nanopump from Debiotech: http://www.debiotech.com. Seems like this is old news.

9. Joanna
    Joanna May 7, 2010 at 6:25 am | | Reply

I started pumping in 1979 my first pump was the Auto Syringe or the big black brick as it was nicked named. Ok so I am an antique and I have seen my share of pumps come and go along with meters and such.
    I started with Minimed in 1980 and have been with the until last Monday when I decided to go with OmniPod. It amazes me that we have started from a pump the size of a brick to now a small cell phone size to a detachable pod. I absolutely love my OmniPod and have no regrets about switching over. Last week when I talked to Omnipod they did state they are working on making the pod smaller but it will still hold the same amount 200 units of insulin. No matter what pump you choose tube or tubeless happy pumping!

10. Richlo
    Richlo May 22, 2010 at 7:59 am | | Reply

Well I got a sample pod of this..Im a new pumper who has the AccuCheck Spirit..yeah I would had prefer probably minimed but unfortunately the rep and the main number…where the worst..they call to tease me only and never came out..call them back…and nothing happened..with Accuchek…they were always on it..

Anyways..Im going to try this sample like above..its very slim..maybe since Rocheowns both the accuchek and this..I can transition over to this..if I like..

Happy pumpin..YOU PUMP ME UP..heheheh

11. Angela
    Angela May 31, 2010 at 7:30 am | | Reply

I received my Solo sample last fall, and it looked so much smaller than my sample Omnipod. . . until I put them side-by-side. :) The thinner profile made ALL the difference in the world though — there is no place on my body I can put an Omnipod without looking like I’m sporting an egg-like growth under my clothes (believe me, I tried everywhere!), but the Solo was really, truly discreet. I burst out in tears as soon as I looked in the mirror.

The only trouble is that my Minimed pump is out of warranty in October, and now that the release date for the Solo has been pushed back so far, I don’t know what I’m going to do. If I get a new Minimed, my insurance won’t cover a patch pump until the new warranty runs out in four years. . . but I can’t switch to Omnipod yet because I can’t wear the current iteration. Grrrr. . .