1. Gretchen
    Gretchen May 24, 2010 at 6:34 am | | Reply

The problem with this tool is that it’s only going to capture data from computer-savvy people, who are more likely than average to use other tools. A large number of people don’t even know what an A1c is, and those are the ones who are apt to have the very high A1cs. So the numbers on the chart are apt to be lower than they should be.

If labs or health care people put in the data, it might be more accurate. But then there would be questions about privacy.

2. Russell Scott
    Russell Scott May 24, 2010 at 10:19 am | | Reply

I have been in IT for 30 years and to sign up was very difficult. No link directly to the sign up I had to look in several places before I dound it. What a way to really dirve PWD’s away.

3. Gretchen
    Gretchen May 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm | | Reply

I agree it’s a start. I just thought people should take it with a grain of salt.

BTW, the security words are so difficult to see it takes two or three tries to get a comment accepted. Sometimes I just give up.

4. Dan Patrick
    Dan Patrick May 24, 2010 at 5:06 pm | | Reply

Hi Manny,
    This is a great start. One consideration. What is the range for A1c values for a non-diabetic over an entire lifetime. Second, what is the movement from a non-diabetic to a diabetic where type is not the factor. What this does is to allow the ability to compare and contrast a measured value. Thanks for getting this started. Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics present a different factor. The sandard variables are food, exercise and meds. A more direct section for type 1′s is the question of their individual insulin to carbs ratio. AS\s a person with a 1 to 30 ratio it is very difficult for me to hit a “normal range” for A1c range. Hope these thoughts and comments help. As always have a great day.

Dan

5. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez May 24, 2010 at 7:38 pm | | Reply

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! All great points.

@Amy: once more thanks for letting me share TuAnalyze on your blog with all your readers!

@Gretchen: you make some good points. I don’t think we can do this through HC practitioners, as you point out, w/o breaching some serious privacy issues. We are relying for now on self-reporting, which presents the issues mentioned on the blog post.

@Russell: would you mind sharing with us at tuanalyze@chip.org any feedback you might have as to how to make the app easier to use/find?

6. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales May 26, 2010 at 11:26 am | | Reply

all I can say is: FANTASTIC!!!!

7. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk May 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm | | Reply

Quest Diagnostics (LabOne) makes use of HbA1c data and aggregates it anonymously. If you pay enough money, they’ll share this information. They use it to track (“anonymously”) people’s HbA1c over time, and use the diagnostic codes indicated by your doctor to relate A1c levels of non-diabetics.

I’m sure Quest would be able to provide scientific data based on state as to average HbA1c’s if they were simply asked. With their millions of data points, they could analyze the average drift as seasons roll through (do A1c levels go up when it’s cold outside?). This kind of health care analytics is already being done, but one must throw money at it to get the data from the company that owns it.

8. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez May 31, 2010 at 10:20 am | | Reply

@Jason: it’s not only about sharing information (which I am not sure that Quest is able to do legally, even though they may have the data). It’s about studying the data, which you need researchers for. That is not the business model of Quest, to the best of my understanding.

So it’s not all about throwing money at it. There’s more than data collection being done on TuAnalyze (hence the name).