1. Saramy
    Saramy May 14, 2010 at 6:49 am | | Reply

I recently had the honor of attending a Diabetic Boot Camp put on by my favorite endo ever – Dr. Egils Bogdonovics from Torrington, CT (TI himself so he totally gets it). Exercise much discussed and done! He’s a buff sort of guy and exercise is also a passion of his. One really interesting thing he talked about was about heading low at the end of a steady workout – if you up your pace to flat out for a minute or two it will help raise your blood sugar and that also helps steady it out for the the next few hours instead of seeing the continuous BS creep downward forcing consumption of unwanted carbs. At least I think that’s what I heard. Physiologically it makes sense since full out blasts of exercise release hormones that induce the release of glucose into the system. It’s counter-intuitive when you’re having low BS to exercise harder, but maybe this is one solution. Now, if I can just get back to the gym?

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson May 14, 2010 at 6:49 am | | Reply

Great attitude Amy! I need to remember this post when I’m having trouble getting my self going. :-)

3. Wellescent Health Blog
    Wellescent Health Blog May 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm | | Reply

It is indeed fortunate to enjoy exercise given all the benefits that it has in aiding the management of overall health. However, starting exercise when one has not grown up with it can be like pulling teeth as it is a form of work or at least effort. If all children were encouraged to enjoy daily exercise from an early age, it would certainly provide for a considerable amount of prevention towards numerous medical conditions that result from unhealthy living.

4. Max
    Max May 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm | | Reply

Great motivational post, I really enjoyed reading. It will help many no doubt.

5. Mitch
    Mitch May 14, 2010 at 8:44 pm | | Reply

I hate exercise; let’s just get that out of the way. However, I’m now at a point where medication and trying to watch what I eat just isn’t getting it done. So on Monday my wife and I joined a gym, and I’ve worked out 5 days in a row. I absolutely hate it, but it’s not so bad when I have someone to go with or will meet there.

But I also have a track record, one I hope I’ll break this time around. However, I know one of these days I’m going to have to have a mindset change to get myself to continue; I’m not there just yet.

6. ravinder
    ravinder May 15, 2010 at 4:15 am | | Reply

i liked your motivational information, I play football 3,4 times in a week in morning ,it helps m alot, i feel good for whole day and i remain upbeat

7. Crauge
    Crauge May 15, 2010 at 5:24 am | | Reply

DEFINITELY! Exercise is the key! One must experiment with their own body and see what works for them. No one’s requirements are the same and must do what works to attain – and maintain – healthy ‘diabetes living’.
    Nice post, Amy!

8. Karen
    Karen May 15, 2010 at 9:03 am | | Reply

I so wish I loved exercise the way you do. It’s always seems like such a chore for me – and one I often skip. Although reading everyone’s workout posts today is doing a really good job at getting me motivated!! :)

9. Sysy Morales
    Sysy Morales May 15, 2010 at 9:35 am | | Reply

Great post! I think you gave people a good push today. You are an inspiration to me-also a busy mom. You sound so energetic and it made me want to get up and exercise and remember that those endorphins are a wonderful reward at the end! THANKS!

10. Diabetes Blog Week: Day 5 Faves | Don't Fear Diabetes

[...] Amy at DiabetesMine has to get a mention, for writing the way I think so many of wish we felt, and by throwing in some nice practical advice (esp for pumpers).  But come on? 2 gyms? I can [...]

11. Tim
    Tim July 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

I HATE excersie in Gyms, seems like people must have energy to waste.
    I manage my type 1 spikes by walking 2-3km (that 1-1.5 miles) after a big meal. This is great for my feet, great for my dog, great for my health – my blood sugar (which could possibly peak at 240) will not go above 150 if I do this.

12. Peg
    Peg August 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm | | Reply

Swimming saved me. I hate to exercise and since developing plantar fasciitis in my feet, it has become quite painful. I also suffer from fibromyalgia and am always tired, so that doesn’t help either. I moved into a place with a pool a year ago and found that swimming gave me a chance to exercise without overdoing it and kept my feet from hurting. Walking was always my go to exercise before the foot issues and I hate giving it up. I am on oral diabetes medications and so far I haven’t had any issues with that.