1. Laura
    Laura May 20, 2010 at 7:24 am | | Reply

6.1!!!!!!!!!! Woot!! Great job – that’s fantastic.

2. stattkatze
    stattkatze May 20, 2010 at 7:30 am | | Reply

congrats. it’s not easy being green :)

and yes. understanding the numbers we live by is empowerment.

3. Joanna
    Joanna May 20, 2010 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing this info! I got as far as downloading the Co-pilot but that was about it. Maybe if I put the PDM in suspend it will work better lol.
    This is my first insulin pump (Omnipod) since 1979 that has no tubing or “tube free” isn’t technology wonderful and amazing?!

4. David
    David May 20, 2010 at 7:38 am | | Reply

6.1 ? Whooo! That’s living by the #’s!

5. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog May 20, 2010 at 8:03 am | | Reply

Here once again is my issue: I’m a Mac. I so want to be able to download the data from the PDM instead of staring bleary eyed at Excel spreadsheets.

I even decided to break down and buy a PC laptop to download (though that money could be better spent elsewhere). We read Consumer Reports and asked around and decided on one.

But then I realized the new laptop would run Windows 7 and CoPilot runs only on earlier operating systems.

I seriously can’t win.

I thought you were also a Mac. What computer are you running this on?

Congrats on the A1C!!!

6. Penny
    Penny May 20, 2010 at 8:42 am | | Reply

I want to know what Leighann asked too! We are a strictly Mac family. How do I download all of my daughter’s data? I would LOVE to have this kind of info from the OmniPod. It’s disheartening that Insulet thinks the world is a PC place and didn’t consider compatibility with Mac. I truly love my daughter’s OmniPod, but this is a big downside for me/

7. Laura
    Laura May 20, 2010 at 9:02 am | | Reply

Amy,

Even I’m encouraged by your great numbers, so I can just imagine how motivated you’re feeling! Your colourful graphs and stellar A1c has made me want to download my numbers too (I’m also not usually big on the D softwares). Way to inspire =)

L.

8. Staci
    Staci May 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

We upgraded to the new PDM in order to use this software & although I have tried it 3 times now, I still don’t seem to “get it” very well & to see the clearer picture of my daughter’s D, I need to chart her numbers manually (pencil & paper – old school!) It seems I just can’t seem to see EVERYTHING all on ONE PAGE with the software that I can do with my manual logs. Sigh. I’m not totally tech-savvy, but I have a master’s degree for goodness sakes! LOL So, I don’t think it’s very user-friendly. ANOTHER NOTE: Since upgrading to the new PDM – we have had it replaced FOUR TIMES. It keeps stopping, turning on by itself, shutting off in the middle of checking BG, etc. Very strange. Omnipod assures me this is happening to NO ONE else. Is this true?

9. Staci
    Staci May 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm | | Reply

Does Gary make house calls? Those of us who aren’t D-bloggers need help to. Any suggestions where to find it?

10. Staci
    Staci May 20, 2010 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

Does Gary make house calls? Those of us who aren’t D-bloggers need help too! Any suggestions?

11. SHERYL
    SHERYL May 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

I love the upgraded Copilot!
    When you were talking about not being able to “read device” for the omnipod – just go to the “DataEntry” at the top grey line, then click on the “assign default device” for what you use the most – the PDM or a different freestyle meter. After you pick the PDM from your choices in the future all you have to do once you connect the PDM and it sets up is click the “read device” square under the Welcome line.

Another thing is the color is beautiful, but if it is costing you an arm and a leg to print you can turn the reports into black and white. Bring up a report then on the line that gives the dates to be included to the left of the printer icon is an icon that looks like a chart with a pencil – click that – which is the Report Configuration – here you can add or take away checkmarks for what you want included in your reports. Click on the tab at the top that says “Miscellaneous” and click off the checkmark for Color. Click apply to save your changes.

I had some really strange high readings that when I immediately retested were down in a more normal range. I found out you can hide those readings. Using this sam Miscellaneous page you can uncheck the “Show Hidden Data” option. Click apply to save your changes.

To hide an incorrect reading pull up the Diary List. Click on the line with the incorrect reading and right click and choose Hide Data. I do not know if it will or will not be included in your statistics.

To type a comment so It will show in the Diary List – do a manual dataentry for notepad. I listed why I hid the incorrect reading due to meter error. (I contacted omnipod and they had me take out a battery wait then but it back in to “reset” the meter. Hope it works).

If you want to email your reports, because your CDE does not have copilot, then click on the printer icon drop down arrow and choose save as PDF file. That way you can email a number of reports at one time.

Unfortunately I found out that to save the Omnipod PDM settings report into a PDF file that is currently not an option has to go through Omnipod, and not Abbot copilot, because Omnipod is the designers of those reports. I only print page 3 of the PDM settings report, because that is what my CDE wants to see. I bring a fresh one each time I see her, because we write any changes we make on that report, and any goals for the next period. You know – Goals, Goals, Goals.

And Yes Staci – I have turned in one so far and have read on Tudiabetes that others have had the same problem.

BTW I have a goal of looking more like Amy’s numbers – You go girl!!

12. SHERYL
    SHERYL May 20, 2010 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

I am on my 2nd PDM due to the power issues with the new PDMs. Tudiabetes lists a few more pumpers, but all have had good luck with Insulet being very responsive and sending out a new one immediately.
    Have you tried the “log book” report – it is all on one page horizontally – but does not give the detail as the diary does.

13. SHERYL
    SHERYL May 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

Amy – way to go Girl!!!!! You have set my new goal!!

In the copilot – in order to be able to click the box for the “Read Device” to upload the PDM you first have to assign the box as the default.
    Click the DATAENTRY tab at the top, Click ASSIGN DEFAULT DEVICE, chose your PDM and the next time you can just click the Read Device picture to upload the PDM info directly without any extra steps.

If your CDE does not use the copilot, you can email pdfs of the reports by bringing up the report, click the down error to the right of the PRINTER icon on the date line, chose SAVE AS PDF FILE.

If the beautiful color reports are eating your ink up too fast, to make the reports black and white click on the chart looking w pencil icon to the left of the Printer icon – Report Configuration. Click on the Misc tab and uncheck the COLOR choice. Click the Apply button before hitting the OK button to get out.

If, Like Staci” you have several PDM devices listed under Devices on the Report Configuration – Misc screen, uncheck the ones you no longer use, and no longer need to pull up in the reports. This will simplify having to choose which one is now being used.

Help me contact Insulet to ask that they add to their software the ability to Save as PDF file for the Omnipod PDM Settings Report. Currently we can only print that (I only print page 3 – that is the one my CDE wants to see), so we will have the ability to save the reports at different dates as changes are made to your settings, or the ability to email it.

Another thing I did not know was on the Glucose Modal Day Report – the big difference between this one and the Dexcom Modal day is that there are no lines to link the values for particular days. There is a trick to bring up the lines in the copilot – Bring up the glucose modal day report – see to the right hand side the individual dates that are listed in the report you chose – click on the dates and the lines will show up for viewing and printing!!

If I think of more trick I learned, I will let you know…….

14. sisiay
    sisiay May 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm | | Reply

in diabetes as in business: you manage what you measure, and the better you are at the latter, the better you get at the former.

@leighann+penny I haven’t used CoPilot, but I run Dexcom’s software on my Mac using VMWare Fusion to run Windows. Bootcamp from Apple is free, but you have to restart your computer to switch between windows and osx. And you can install any version of Windows you want (i bought a cheap copy of XP on ebay and it works fine).

15. Richard
    Richard May 20, 2010 at 4:51 pm | | Reply

I’ve always found it cruel when they make me put things in PIE charts.

But then again, someone here deserves pie…and it ain’t me!

16. Dan Patrick
    Dan Patrick May 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,

This is a very powerful program. You are only just geting into the program. Be sure to go through it in total.
    As always have a great day. Have been on this program since the initiate introduction of CoPilot 3.0. Be careful and stay up with the upgrades!

Dan

17. Staci
    Staci May 21, 2010 at 7:18 am | | Reply

YES… Insulet has always been MORE than helpful in sending out a new PDM. However, this is our FOURTH and it’s frustrating. Insulet also tells me when I ask that they “don’t know of others having this problem” or that “they haven’t seen a trend with this particular problem” which by what you say might not be the whole truth. Hmmmmmm.

18. Joanna
    Joanna May 21, 2010 at 7:37 am | | Reply

Staci that seems to be a recurring theme. When I was with Minimed I hated calling them in fact I dreaded it. Why? Because if I had a problem there “canned” reply would be oh we have never had anyone call with that problem before or it has to be your fault.
    Wow is that not just great customer service or what?! Sorry I believe no matter what you do for a living is to provide the best customer service possible because just like anything eles people have choices. Whatever happen to try to find a solution don’t they call that troubleshooting? I was with Minimed since 1980.

19. Gary Scheiner MS, CDE
    Gary Scheiner MS, CDE May 23, 2010 at 8:07 am | | Reply

Amy –

Congrats on the A1c! I know how hard you worked to achieve that.

As far as the data downloads, it is a shame that very little attention is given to making the programs Mac-compatible. Copilot is currently not compatible with Mac computers, even when running windows-compatibility. Those who use Macs will need to find a pc to download and run the copilot software, at least until Abbott wakes up to the fact that Mac users are a growning and infuential segment of the marketplace.

20. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson May 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

Great work on the A1C AmyT! Way to go!

21. Andrea Velasco
    Andrea Velasco June 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm | | Reply

I found this information about running Windows on a Mac from the Apple website

“It runs Windows, too.
    Have a Windows application you need to use once in a while? No problem. Every new Mac lets you install Windows XP and Vista and run them at native speeds, using a built-in utility called Boot Camp.

Setup is simple and safe for your Mac files. After you’ve completed the installation, you can boot up your Mac using either Mac OS X or Windows. (That’s why it’s called Boot Camp.) Or if you want to run Windows and Mac applications at the same time — without rebooting — you can install Windows using VMware or Parallels software.*