1,265 Responses

1. ruth
    ruth September 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

I do not store my pens in the fridge, just until I begin using them. The hunger aspect just came back. BUT…it came back because of a significant emotional trigger to my binging issue. Maybe it woul dhave come back anyway, but ot me, that’s what did it (with or without V). My BS’s are rising, high am’s, I feel that it is just not working anymore. Then again, I gained back 5 of the lost 11 and that will shoot BSs up too…Oh, I don’t know. I just travelled a week and feel out of sorts and just glad to be home. I pray everyday for all of us that God will grant us all the way back to our health.

2. JANIE REY
    JANIE REY September 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

TO RUTH,
    PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP ON V. LOOK @ ALL YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED. JUST TAKE IT A DAY @A TIME.I HAVE BEEN GRUMBLING ABOUT ONLY LOSING
    15 LBS. AND MY DR. SAYS I’M TOO HARD ON MYSELF.SHE SAYS SHE HAS A COUPLE OF PATIENTS,WHO WOULD GIVE THEIR RIGHT BREAST TO HAVE
    LOST15 LBS. IN 5 WEEKS.
    HAVE PATIENCE WITH YOURSELF AND YOUR DR. YOU WILL GET OVER THIS HUMP. TAKE CARE,JANIE REY

3. ruth
    ruth September 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm | | Reply

Thanks Janie….for the uplifting letter. Yes, I mean – where am I going? Why rush things? Day by day is best. The real bottom line, Janie, is that I’m afraid Victoza is beginning to fail and then what is my option? Insulin? I’m not afraid of it but like the doctor tells me….I have insulin. Taking more isn’t the answer. Lessening my resistence to it is key…ie, weight loss.

Today was a good food day and I pray tomorrow ill be, too. I’m still at a loss of an over 8. I’m blessed with that.

4. Judy
    Judy September 20, 2010 at 5:05 pm | | Reply

Hello Everyone! It has been a while since I posted anything here, love the board, read it all the time. I started Victoza back in July, being border line diabetic, it was prescribed to me for weight loss. and after 8 weeks of treatment I have lost 25 lbs. I have suffered through with daily mild nausea feelings, 2 extreme sick days, and very irregular digestive system, but it was worth it to shed the pounds. I am currently taking a dose of 1.2, do not plan on increasing any for now. My appetite is not as suppressed as it was in the beginning, but I am satisfied now with eating less and try to make good food choices. I hope to continue to drop at a rate of 2 pounds a week, reaching my goal weight next July. I do not know about BS or FBS, as I never monitored before, but will find out when I go back to the Dr, in 4 weeks. Good Luck All!

5. Tana Baucom
    Tana Baucom September 21, 2010 at 6:56 am | | Reply

This is so important for me to let everyone know that the extreme heartburn has gone away. I have lost 18.5 pounds in the first month. I have to make myself eat. This is a good thing for me where I used to eat myself sick. My sugar levels have dropped into the normal range and I love the weight lose.

6. Pam
    Pam September 21, 2010 at 7:17 pm | | Reply

I can’t blame Victoza for everything. I have been putting in more intense exercise which increases appetite I notice. I am also on synthroid and I expect that as I lose weight, the dose wll be too high which will impact my appetite as well. Probably there are other factors as to why the victoza may not be suppressing my appetite the way it was at first.

7. Daniel
    Daniel September 22, 2010 at 7:41 am | | Reply

I think my hunger problems must have been related to what I was eating. I’ve noticed if I don’t get enough protein early in the day, I’m hungry late in the day. I’ve taken the pen back out of the fridge, and I don’t think that makes any difference.

8. JANIE REY
    JANIE REY September 22, 2010 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

TO DANIEL,
    PROTEIN,HAS A LOT TO DO WITH HUNGER,MY DR. TOLD ME I WAS NOT
    EATING ENOUGH PROTEIN IN A DAYS TIME,IM NOT A MEAT EATER,AND I COULD NOT RELY ON EGG BEATERS, AND CHEESE, SO NOW I TRY TO EAT APP. 4OZS A DAY, AND I REALLY DO NOT FEEL THE HUNGER PANGS THAT
    I HAD BEEN HAVING. ALSO WITH PROTEIN,AND EXCERCISE THE LBS.
    WILL COME OFF FASTER. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE.JANIE

9. Donna
    Donna September 23, 2010 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

Ruth,
    Hang in there! Wow, $75 co-pay is awesome for this med! You are very blessed! You can get that weight down, there has to be some type of food replacements/exchange that will push you in the right direction. I have 80lbs to loose and I am down 11 from that number. I am not far off from you. My weight would teater between 195 and 189 and now that I am seeing 177 I am seeing hope. I have to get it down and I think daily of how my child needs me to do this as well. Find a positive reason and pull from it. Grow in a good direction and do not let negative issues overwhelm you. Keep open conversations with the doc. and nurses to find out what changes may need to be made if the antibodies are an issue. After all it is being injected and that is what our body will begin doing if it is a threat. I wish you all the best as you have been trying very hard to make this work.Blessing to you! ;-)

Janie,

Your doc. is right as Victoza helps your body to hold onto the protiens longer and creates the feeling of satisfaction for food and energy the body needs.

10. Donna
    Donna September 23, 2010 at 8:41 pm | | Reply

Ruth,

I also read that you do not store your pens. Do you mean that when you bring them home they sit on the shelf unused until you need the next pen? This could be affecting the V potency as a pen unfridgerated looses shelf life and this may be a down fall to its ability to work properly. They should be kept cold from the time of receiving them and placed into a fridg no where that it will freez and removed only when you are ready to begin the pen. Are they cold when you get them from your doc?
    D~

11. Ruth
    Ruth September 24, 2010 at 3:02 am | | Reply

My pens are stored in the refrigerator until they are used.

12. Vee
    Vee September 24, 2010 at 11:43 am | | Reply

A few updates since starting Victosa as my only T2 medication in July:

1) I stayed on .6mg for about a month or so before increasing to 1.2.
    2) I stayed on 1.2mg for about 3 weeks before increasing to 1.8
    3) I only had one incident of nausea and that was on 1.8 after eating a banana.
    4) I’ve maintained a 10lb weight loss since the first month, and expect to lose more since I’m getting into a regular exercise routine.
    5) I keep my pens in the refrigerator whether in use or not.
    6) Bowel movements returned to normal when I increased to 1.8 as long as I have 2 servings of leafy dark green veggies a day.
    7) My other medication is Levothyroxine (synthroid).
    8) Still love the medication and have not really had any of the side-effects I’ve read about in the comments for this article.

13. Pam
    Pam September 27, 2010 at 5:29 am | | Reply

Good news. It has been 5 weeks from start of V. I am holding at 1.2 and 4 clicks. FBS still slightly up in morn 110-130 but haven’t gotten my CPAP machine yet. Yet it is more stabilized and no more plunges or highs. No more naps in afternoon. No food desires except immediately following intense aerobics if I don’t re-feed with protein and small carb right away. Best news is that I can be in front of all kinds of prepared foods and food scents which used to be overwhelmingly alluring and now are manageable. I have gone back to being able to eat all the food on my meal plan and no more complete loss of appetite so weight loss has returned to a modest descent. Best news, I am halfway to goal (since late July diet start) and energy back and only 18 lbs to a normal BMI. I am still on Metformin. I hope with CPAP I can see the numbers go down further and lose the M.

14. MollyB
    MollyB September 27, 2010 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

Hi to all, Just found this site after my endo recommended I consider Victoza. I take oral meds but am frankly reluctant to use a needle. Also concerned about hassles with travel. Have made no decision yet, but any specific experience you could impart on these issues will be appreciated. I have been very encouraged by many of the comments and am glad to hear from those who are using it. (Please no lectures on my fear of needles; just the facts, ma’am!) Thanks.

15. Ruth
    Ruth September 28, 2010 at 3:49 am | | Reply

To Molly: I, too, was reluctant to use a needle until I discovered how small and simple this was. I was unafraid almost at once. More important – traveling was a breeze. V only has to be refrigerated until it’s used. I just went to Denver CO from PA for 6 days and my pen went with me. I kept mints and a few crackers in my purse in case I felt nausea (which is fleeting now because I’ve been on it since June) and some glucose tabs incase I felt low (which has never happened). No one was more afraid than me of beginning such a drug/needle. But I knew that my endo knew best and frankly….my A1C was so out and my sugars high enough to make me just bite the bullet. Good luck.

16. Anjali
    Anjali September 28, 2010 at 7:33 am | | Reply

I,m on V for thelast 12 days. I had good results for a couple of days I lost 5 lbs. I had gained 27 lbs since I went on Insulin My blood sugars not controlled. Now My sugars are 76-110 in the AM fasting 88- 160 PP not bad. I have a problem My eyes are very dry, so much so I have to use artificial tears, has any one had this occur to tem. I had no nausea or stomach ache. But kind of sleepy when driving, dangerous I think. Many times i had to pul off the road and take a mini nap. I,m doing okay now. I,m on 1.2 with 3 clicks, thats when I noticed my dry eyes. Any suggestion.

17. MollyB
    MollyB September 28, 2010 at 9:47 am | | Reply

Ruth, thanks for your encouraging message. If you know: is the needle something standard to this med or are there different sizes? I saw a msg somewhere that someone else went with a smaller needle. Thanks in advance. The nausea was also a concern to me so am glad to hear it wasn’t a significant problem for you.

18. karen
    karen September 28, 2010 at 11:27 am | | Reply

I have been on victoza for a month now and iam just about to call my doctor because i noticed my apetite is comming back sad to say but iam also on a .6 dosage which is the lowest , I have lost over 9lbs and plan on staying on it if i can . Some one mentioned blurred vision i have the same problem . I wish every one good luck on this new path we all seem to be on .

19. Ruth
    Ruth September 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm | | Reply

Molly, I’m useing the small sized pen needles. As your pharmacist to see each of them. Truly, you can’t feel it. No one is a bigger baby than me. But then again – I was at the end of my physical rope and had to try something.

Also, before any of you laugh…and I realize how lame this could sound…but after a month, I began injecting below the belly button. I had been injecting above. I mean, really – pick a roll…the top or the bottom roll. Both equal size LOL. Anyway….a week ago, I went back to the top roll above my belly button. Well, like magic…my appetite was waned, a little nausea returned just like int he beginning. I’m back on eating well, mmy binge ended and I’m praying for it to continue. Maybe in jecting belowt he naval is into too much muscle or a different kind of fat? Who knows…but I’m back on the wagon and feeling so much better. 110 before meals….YAY!

20. MollyB
    MollyB September 29, 2010 at 4:57 am | | Reply

Ruth, thanks again for sharing your experience and advice on the needle issue. Feeling encouraged. Congratulations on your progress, and all good wishes for continued success!

21. Ruth
    Ruth September 30, 2010 at 7:09 pm | | Reply

Hurray! I’ve lost 5 pounds in a week…no more binging. Gosh I feel good. Today, I picked up my FIRST Victoza prescription….1.8….3 pens in one prescription and it was only $25. There is a coupon on the websight that for the first six months, your script is only $25. Since June, my endo was supplying me with Victoza for free. I feel so indebted to his kindness to me. He convinced me to try it. I had to do something. I pray that God will grace me not to begin binging again. It’s the biggest worst thing I do to myself. Tomorrow is my 28th wedding anniversary. Things feel very good today. How fortunate a woman am I? Thanks for listening everyone. Keep the faith. We’re all in this together.

22. Pam
    Pam October 1, 2010 at 5:24 am | | Reply

I was told by my doc to always inject below the belly button but didn’t say why. I would like to know. If there is no reason, I would like to try as well to go above. My appetite is back too. I know it has a lot to do with exericse but that is not the only reason and I have had a couple high sugars. I still haven’t been able to get below 100. Afria to all the way to 1.8 because that is all there is. The thought of going back on one of those weight gaining meds just make me cringe.

23. Brenda
    Brenda October 1, 2010 at 9:30 am | | Reply

I’m a 40-year old type 2 diabetic. I’ve always been overweight, since I was a toddler, and about 8 years ago was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and lost about 50 pounds (of fluid, I think) once the doctors got that under control. As with many Type 2 diabetics, I started out on pills (Actose, then moved to Glyburide and Metformin, then off the metformin due to bterrible gastric issues) and eventually moved to insluin. Until most recently, I have been on 70 units of Novolin 70/30 am and 90 units PM, and have used Byetta 5 mcg bid for a little over a year (we tried to move up to the 10 mcg, but I never could reach a point of tolerate the gastric discomfort at 10 mcg that did not exist at 5 mcg). At my highest point, my A1C was 8.6, but for the past year, it has run in the mid 7′s. While on the Byetta, over the course of a year, I lost 30 pounds. My doctor really wants to see my A1C under 6.5, and at my last visit, he suggested that I give Victoza a try once my supply of Byetta was used up. So, I started the Victoza yesterday, at 1.2 (he did not have me work up to that from the 0.6 dosage) and I spent most of the day with my stomach rolling and rumbling and gurgling and wishing that I could puke, but I never did. My husband and I have been following an 1800 calorie nutrition plan for the last 8 weeks and I have lost about 12 pounds. Last night, at dinner, I found myself able to eat only about half of my evening meal (which, thanks to our new nutrition plan, has been about half what I used to eat, so last night’s meal was about 1/4 of what an evening meal for me would have been say, 6 months ago). I’m VERY nervous about the thyroid cancer warning, and equally concerned about the cost of Victoza, since this medication is not on our formulary list. I’m using samples right now, but have been honest with the doctor that I can’t afford this medication, so I will only be able to take it if he can continue to provide me samples. His answer was “we will cross that bridge when we get to it.” Unfortunately, here in the US, if you happen to have a job that provides insurance coverage, it pretty much disqualifies you from getting any prescription assistance, even if the medication you need is not covered by your insurance. If anyone has any information on prescription assistance for this medication, please share. Thanks so much. I will provide updates as I continue my use of the Victoza.

24. Ruth
    Ruth October 1, 2010 at 12:15 pm | | Reply

for prescription help go to the Victoza websight. There is a coupon that lets you get your Victoza at $25 permonth for six months. With any pharmacy. Take the coupon to the pharmacy you use. Can’t beat that.

25. Linsey
    Linsey October 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm | | Reply

Hi everyone, I’m supposed to start the shot tommarrow…i’m accully very excited even if there are side effects i won’t let it bring me down i’ve been a diabetic sents i was 14 i am 18 now…and just the thought of being normal for once…..having stable sugars even losing weight…just the thought gives me so much hope and faith..i hope it works…it would be nice to be able to eat a peaice of chocolate and not be scared ur sugar will go to high…not be scared of dying from uncontrolled sugars or not be scared of going into a diabetic coma….I am so happy i found this sight i promise to comment as much as i can…and hope i encorauge people with my comments =)! never give up! were all in this fight together! =)

26. Timmer
    Timmer October 2, 2010 at 10:37 am | | Reply

Started Victoza at .6 yesterday. Had one big “Whoa!” of nausea/dizziness about 15 min after injection, that passed quickly. Ate a bowl of cereal mostly out of habit and that took away all nausea.

Otherwise, mostly just kind of a weird spaciness the first day. Constipated yesterday, but not uncomfortable and that ended this morning. I normally drink 16 ounces of water when I wake up in the morning. Even before I work out. Had to remember to eat lunch. Only ate dinner because it was “family” night at our house.

Today is day 2. I really don’t have much of an appetite. A little gassy, a little queasy but no big waves like yesterday. Not so spacey today. I work full time and go to school full time at 49 so…could have just been really tired yesterday.

I have good feelings about this. My Doc says I’m still “pre” diabetic and the Metformin wasn’t doing much.

Having to stick myself every morning is really a wake up call. I’ve been sort of working out, sort of watching my diet. The “sort of” is definitely over.

27. Ruth
    Ruth October 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm | | Reply

I’ve been off refined sugar and low fat now for a few days/a week and already lost 5 pounds. I feel so good when I eat well. I eat whatever I want for meals. Then watch for low carb counts on snacks. I love those knew CocoPops…the look like a 6″ pita but are all but air. Whole grained popped something. They are crunchy and you can put anything on top. Only 4 carbs in one. Does it for me. I also have developed a strong urge for ice cream (as many haveon Victoza) but since I’ve substituted fat free frozen yogurt (Turkey Hill’s Chocolate Marshmallow is GREAT) my BS is really down. IT’s the fat that gets you, not the sugar. Anyway…things are going well for me, I feel so much better. It was a long hard binge for me but through prayers and friends and family who care, I’m back “on the wagon” and hope to stay here. I hope you all are doing well and I hope all of you can use the $25 coupon at your pharmacy.

28. jackie
    jackie October 2, 2010 at 5:00 pm | | Reply

My husband took this drug for three weeks…He suddenly died from Sudden Cardiac Death…I’m just wondering if this drug could have had anything to do with his passing away?

29. Ruth
    Ruth October 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

Jackie…I’m so sorry for your loss. How old was your husband? How long was he diabetic? Did the doctor feel the Victoza had something to do with his death? I’m sure we all hope that’s not true. What a terrible loss for you.

30. Linsey
    Linsey October 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm | | Reply

I didn’t start the meds like i was supposed to today seems victoza didnt get into the phamicy. so hopefully monday the doctor can call it in i’m abit scared of the side effects but i really think this med will help me alot =) so i’m thinking positive and going to fight agasint the war with diabetes! =)

31. Pam
    Pam October 3, 2010 at 5:34 am | | Reply

My FBG is getting up there again and my weight loss is slowing and appetite increasing. On V about 6 weeks with Metformin 2000mg daily. Still waiting for my CPAP machine. I hope that is the cause. I am not worried about this med the way I was worried about so many others which really didn’t help my obesity but I am worried that the effectiveness does not last. It seems to me that, if I drop dead now, it is a result of all the years of self abuse through overeating and inactivity and big time stress. But now I really want to reverse the effects and it doesn’t seem to be happening. Is it too late I ask myself? So many people have been able to get their sugars to normal. For me, insulin and all the meds that can cause sudden drops in BS are like a death sentence since those drops will precipitate another downward slide into obesity that I cannot afford. My internal organs are already suffering. I hope that V. starts a trend toward decent Diabetes drugs that can bring a real cure finally.

32. Tim T.
    Tim T. October 3, 2010 at 12:59 pm | | Reply

Day three on Victoza, .6. No real nausea this morning. Still kinda light headed even after getting plenty of sleep. Not as bad as the first day though.

The video that came with the DVD says that it can be injected into the thigh, the belly or the arm. My doc asked that I stick to the belly. The idea being that it takes longer to work it’s way through the adipose tissue (fat) than through muscle.

It’s definitely an appetite supressent. I have to remember to eat and when I do, I don’t much want to.

33. Ruth
    Ruth October 4, 2010 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

To Pam….I right there with you. What a cycle of lows, highs, food, and again and again. It’s never too late. Our quality of life can improve. I always say, If I drop dead, I did it to myself. But with this victoza…I have hope. My sugars are low (no lows) and despite a huge binge setback…I’m back on track again. Read up for my battles. Listen…today really is another beginning and tomorrow morning is another beginning. whether we are 30,50, 70 years old…everyday we CAN feel better. We can make ourselves feel better. To me, Victoza was a last resort. I was killing myself with food and my inability to lick my food addiction. I struggle every single solitary day. All I want is food. But I’m OK today and I was yesterday and I hope tomorrow, too. You’llsee. Things iwll be OK

34. Jan
    Jan October 5, 2010 at 4:45 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza now for 3 months. When I first started it I was losing weight and I was not hungry, but now the hunger is back and I am eating more. I also quit smoking which was not helping the hunger thing either. But the most important thing is it is keeping my blood surgars down. When I started on Victoza my A1C was 10. I did blood work yesterday so I am very anxious to see if that too has come down. My blood sugars are running between 95 and 122. Opposed to 160 – 300 before the Victoza. Once in a while if I eat things I am not supposed to it will run in the 200, but for the most part I am trying to eat healthy and less sugar. I can always tell when I am running high I feel like someone beat me. It’s great to feel good and I do when my blood sugar is down where it is supposed to be. So I try to remember before I eat that brownie or that piece of candy or eat all the bread, what I am going to feel like later. It has helped.

35. pamela
    pamela October 6, 2010 at 4:03 pm | | Reply

4 weeks at week 3 when i went up to 1.2–the sour burps started—nervous about it===anyone else???

36. Ruth
    Ruth October 6, 2010 at 5:13 pm | | Reply

Pamela….don’t be nervous. Those things are expected…..re-read your informational pamphlet. Just watch your overall health, don’t overeat, and keep tabs on your blood sugars. God bless.

37. Pam
    Pam October 7, 2010 at 3:50 am | | Reply

I have been on V. for about 7 weeks and I guess it has reached it’s max potential with me. I just went up to 1.8 last night after gradually increasing the clicks and the FBS has not gone down any further. With the exception of a reading here and there, it has continued to hover around 115 to 130. My weight loss has really slowed too to a pound or less a week. The CPAP does not improve the situation as hoped. Very disheartening.

38. Charlie
    Charlie October 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

Hello…I’ve been on Victoza for 10 weeks now. I was diagnoised w/type II diabetes about 7 years or so…I had been managing myself fairly well but about 10 months or so my FBS started to rise in mornings into the 160 to 170 range and A1c increased to 7.0…so my Endo placed me on Victoza in mid July 2010….in ten weeks I have lost 30lbs and my FBS is now 90 to 95 everyday all day…long and my A1c is 5.5.

I have lost a grand total of 117 lbs over the past 3 1/2 years after getting divorced from a very unhealthy marriage…I’m planning on losing another 60 to 75 lbs to my goal weight. I had some mild diarrhea for the first 4 to 6 weeks but that past…no other side effects noted. I wnet from 0.6 dosage to 1.8 dosage in three weeks…I am excercising 6 days aweek…1 hour cardo daily and 1 hour of weight training 4 days aweek….I’ve had a decrease in my appetite overall but I can if I allow myself eat more than I should…at first I had no appetite but it has slowly returned but I’m in charge of what goes in my mouth.

A very wise man once told me “there are only two things you can control in this life…what you put in your mouth and what your do with your body.”

I have dedicated myself to winning this struggle with diabetes and getting off all med’s…my endo is encouarged that I can and will be able to stop RX med’s in time.

To all good luck and remember what that wise man told me! :) You can win this battle…Victoza is just the tool in your tool box but a damn good tool to have in your hands.

39. Lynn
    Lynn October 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

Hi everyone!

I have been reading the material data sheet on the side effects of victoza and I am really scared. I actually cancelled my rx with the pharmacy. I have a few samples my Dr. gave me.
    I am obese and the Dr. gave me victoza for the weight. My blood sugars have been in control.
    I am so frightened about the thyroid cancer, the nauseaand being anxious. I am a very hyper person as it is. I also take zanax at night to sleep.
    I would appreciate any feed back.

40. Gloria
    Gloria October 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm | | Reply

Hey everyone! It’s been a few weeks since I checked in. I do keep updated on your posts though. I read them everytime they come in on my blackberry. Charlie, I just wanted to say I appreciate your post today. I wasnt feeling that well today — personal emotional stuff. But I so agree with you. The side effects are there. Everything has side effects. I appreciate the boost this drug is giving me. It’s almost like a new lease on life.

I dont know if its the Victoza or a new attitude – I dont enjoy my go to comfort foods of potato chips and hamburgers anymore.

Be encouraged everyone!!!!!

41. Priscilla
    Priscilla October 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza around a month. I was nauseous at first but after about a week I didn’t have that problem any more. I don’t seem to get hungry at all and almost have to make myself eat something. It hasn’t soaked in yet that I can’t eat as much as I used to because when I go out to a restaraunt I still order what I used to and I always end up taking 1/2 or more of my food home. I’ve lost around 15 lbs so far but need to lose way more. My glucose levels are usually leass than 110 most mornings. I am pretty satisfied so far with the results and I’m anxious for my next visit to the doctor to see what my lab work shows.

42. Wendy
    Wendy October 9, 2010 at 5:06 am | | Reply

To all thoes who are using Victoza, I wish us luck!! I work in a Endo clinic and have seen OUTSTANCING results!! I too am on this medication at this time. I am hypothyroid and about 110lbs over weight. I am insulin resistant and my bp has just started going up. I am 40 and do not want to do bp meds and want to lived so, after trying metformin..with HORRID leg cramps, headaches, and living in the bathroom, my dr has started me on victoza. I did try the januvia, but made me sick and major headaches. Victoza is great!!! I have been on it for 2 wks now and have lost 6lbs. If you are feeling nauseated from this medication, try taking it at bedtime or shortly before you go to bed, this is what I do and I have had no side effects. I guess I sleep through them. I have a sligh headache at times but when this happens i eat some protien, like cheese, or meat and it goes away. The dr said that is your body saying hey i may need something cuz your blood sugar is lower than you have been use to. If you are use to high BS then this medication will help, even if you are use to 200′s and you come down into the 100′s your body tries to revolt and is not sure how to feel as it is use to being so high. Ya i am sure there are ppl that get some problems with this medication but look at the side effects of all the meds out there and all that you can be put on. I personaly do not want to loose my vision, my feet to ulcers or have neuropathy from diabetes. I am “pre” diabetic..ya ok that is just saying I am almost there and you need to do something. Inusrances are a pain in the butt. Most are makeing you jump through hoops with prior authorizations for this medication, they do it with byetta too. They do not care it helps just that they have to pay for it. I work on prio authorizations for ppl all day at my job and let me tell you, if you have been on metformin, actos, insulin, and byette and can not tollerate this medications then most insurances will approve this, just have to keep on them and have a good office that will help you submit the records. I am also starting to do weight watchers now, it so helps!! i know you must eat to live, can’t just stop like smokeing.Using the point system has been great!! and easy. Remember it is small changes that we make that help improve our life on a DAILY basis!! Don’t try and make huge changes all at once, you just set yourself up for failure and remembe..go easy on yourself. we all make mistakes. I am soo a foodie and on days I do not so good, i FOGIVE and go on, I wish you all the best of luck with this new drug and remember to rotate your sites, in other words, do not use the same site all the time, it can be given SUBQ into your arm, stomach, leg any where you have some fat. This will help with brusing and causing some of the other problems you can get if you keep pokeing yourself in the same spot…GOOD LUCK!!!

43. Wendy
    Wendy October 9, 2010 at 5:12 am | | Reply

OH i forgot, please make sure you are doing a multivitamin and drinking LOTS of water. You need to stay hydrated also!! Not diet sodas, but good old water!!! because you know the artificial sweetners still affect your blood sugars, you body thinks it is sugar so, it reacts. I feel so much better that i do not drink any kind of soda now, i use to drink coke, a 2L a day, then to diet. 6 bottles a day to NONE!!! it takes time but is all good. I do use splenda in the coffee but went to one pack instead of 2..good luck all, remember..SMALL changes..slowly.

44. Marsha
    Marsha October 9, 2010 at 6:46 am | | Reply

Day two on Victoza for me. I’m hyped about it and am truly hoping all goes well. I do enjoy reading the statistics people post – i.e. what their sugar readings were before and after, weight loss, etc, and I understand the relation to eating habits, exercise and the like. So here’s my story. I’m 50 and have been type II diagnosed for 7 years. I’m 5’8″ tall and about 75 pounds overweight at 220 pounds (100 if I wanted to get back to high school weight!). My numbers fluctuate daily between 110 and 180, no pill has yet been able to steadily regulate my sugars over the years. My A1C goes from 5.5 to 7.2 and everywhere in between. I eat sensibly, and it’s about half of what my co-workers can consume in a day. I don’t eat fried foods, no salt, whole grains only, nothing after 6p.m., sweets only at special events, lots of liquids daily, etc. etc. When the diabetic dietitian gave me a suggested meal plan I couldn’t even eat half of it – people say I eat like a bird. I walk 4-8 flights of stairs daily at work and only use the elevator when necessary. I walk, take care of a grandson living with us and try to stay active. My doctors and I are dumbfounded why I don’t lose weight (periods of inactivity cause my weight to jump up 10 pounds at a time very quickly but it doesn’t come back off). My thyroid always tests good tho both my sisters have inactive thyroids and all 4 of my siblings have type II diabetes (as my father did too). My glucose numbers are always high first thing in the mornings – can be 120 the night before and 160 when I wake up. So far on Victoza – day 2 my numbers have been steadily between 100 and 110!! Wow! So far no side effects other than a bit of blurred vision which I attribute to lower numbers than my body is used to. I too am on freebie samples from the doctors office – have to wait till Monday to see if my insurance will cover a prescription otherwise I may be up a creek without a paddle. I truly appreciate everyone’s comments as they have calmed a lot of my fears and given me a lot of encouragement. Here’s to a hopeful success story!

45. Sandy E
    Sandy E October 9, 2010 at 6:56 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about a month. At first the Nausea did not bother me, but the thumping headaches was killing me. About the third week they started to subside. I have been researching Victoza and have found this site. Thank you all for your input. It has help me. I have hypothyroid, on the highest dose of Cytomel. Its very hard for me to loose wait much less keep it off. When I went to a weight specialist/endo, he started me out on the metformin, and a appetite suppressant. I did loose a little, Then he added junuvia. It work at first, but then I started gaining weight again. Dr had suggested Victoza. I was a little hesitant with the injection and side effects. I have only lost 5lbs, but feel good. my bs levels have been good. I have insulin Resistance, which we all know is the pre-curser for Diabetes. I just want to keep a head of the problem instead of behind. I am hoping if the Dr takes me off this medication I don’t gain weight as I have in the past after stopping my other medications. I wish everyone luck, I just hope I have the great success as everyone else. Thank you

46. Linsey
    Linsey October 9, 2010 at 8:16 am | | Reply

I started victoza last night i felt alittle like i was gonna throw up but it went away someone said to take it at night and i did with my last meal when i woke up i was extremly dizzy and my head hurts still but i accually feel good my sugar was 123 this morning and i weight 176 now =) woot and still going down not given up O.O i dont like writing negitive stuff lifes short so we gotta live it to the fullest =) and if victoza helps me have a normal life than i dont mind the sickness or dizzyness….i’ll write more tommarrow =) hope ur all well

47. Bobby
    Bobby October 11, 2010 at 6:30 am | | Reply

I have just been recommended by my Doc to start Victoza. As many in this blog I’m to start at .6 for a week then change to 1.2. I’m currently on 1000 mg of metformin a day, BP med’s Lisinopril/HCTZ 20-12.5 mg X2 per day, Metoprolol XL 50 mg X1 per day, and finally Simvastatin 20 mg X1 per day. I also take vitamin C and D3 and finally a 81 mg aspirin X1 per day. I’m over weight and have been struggling with it for years. I’m hoping the Victoza will help me with my blood sugars as I fight with all this medication and it’s side effects. I’m quite scared of the daily injection but after reading all that has been published in this blog I’m a bit at ease. I start tonight ( many recommend the injection at night to possibly suppress the nausea, hope their right) so here is where I begin. My most recent A1C was 7.5 so there is concern, BG levels have been in the 140 to 175 range. I pray that the nausea and headaches are minimal but I will soon see. I will post my results as time passes by. My thanks to all that have shared their experiences and I wish you all the best. God Bless…

48. Marsha
    Marsha October 11, 2010 at 1:19 pm | | Reply

Day 4 on Victoza and my blood glucose numbers are steadily between 80-100 now! I can’t tell you how long it’s been since I’ve seen numbers that low!!! I pray it stays this way.

For those worrying about giving yourself a shot – don’t worry! I was scared to death of it too as I’d watched my dad give himself insulin injections two times a day with a regular syringe and needle for 18 years. The new pen style they have has a super small baby needle, I barely know I’ve put it in — even my facial scrub hurts more than this needle :) .

For the first time in 7 years I’m looking forward to going back to the doctors office. I’m on .6mg for two weeks – I think he wants to take it really slow in case of side effects. Fine by me – but if he sets an increase I will suggest to him what many of you do by increasing a click at a time.

Side effects on day four – slight stomach upset and a bit of diarrhea (I’m so glad it didn’t stop me up like some others). Blurred vision has already cleared. Just a slight ongoing headache – but Excedrin helps if I take it first thing in the morning. Lots of energy after taking my shot, but then about 4:00 I start getting so tired – each day that time gets later and later tho so I’m not too worried. I found the stomach upset came when I took my Metformin at the same time as the shot. Now I take the Metformin mid morning with yogurt or crackers and then again at suppertime – and I still always try to get some protein in my stomach when I take the shot in the early mornings too.

All of your suggestions have helped so very much. As you can see I tried to ward off much of the side effects with things you have already said work for you – and so far it has definitely worked for me.

49. Robert S Knapp
    Robert S Knapp October 11, 2010 at 4:35 pm | | Reply

I was using metformin 1000 BID, and 30 units of Lantus daily, with 5 units of Apidra at dinner. When I began Victoza, I stopped the insulin to avoid the possibility of hypoglycemia, which I consider to be unpleasant. My fasting sugars dropped to ~120, then, when I increased Victoza to 1.2, stabilized at around 100-105.
    initially, I had some nausea, which lasted about 2 weeks, then gradually abated. I still can’t eat much at a sitting, which is, for me, a good thing. I have lost ~25 lb in the past 5 months, and am now stable at a BMI of 23.5.
    I have continued the metformin. I see no reason to stop it.
    I have noted a peculiar thing – when I have had enough to eat, my nose will start running, and I will start sneezing (a series of 8 or 9). Probably a vagal response to a full stomach.
    My HbA1c has remained at ~5.8. If it starts to go up, I’ll increase the dose of Victoza.
    Although the literature says it’s not for insulin-users, IMHO that applies only to Type I diabetics.
    As far as cost – I don’t think my insurance is paying significantly more for Victoza that it was for Lantus.

50. Wendy
    Wendy October 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm | | Reply

I think this medication will help many ppl, you just have to get the insurance companies to get on board.
    Remember, to alternate sites, DO NOT store it with a needle on it. and CHANGE the needles out every day!!! I do not reuse the needles, too much chance for infection and not a good thing when you are diabetic either, we all know healing and infection are bad for us.

Good luck everyone. I just bumped mine up tonight to next dose and going to bed now..sure does help me to take it at night, ya i still have some of the dizziness but getting up from a lying position or sitting postion slowly..helps..

nite..