1,264 Responses

1. Beverley Cleary
    Beverley Cleary August 10, 2010 at 12:01 am | | Reply

I still feel great on V but haven’t reached the maximum dosage yet. I continune to eat everything in sight. I lost 40 lbs on Byetta but have already gained 10 on this. I have read all the posts and can find no one who has gained weight as I have. Any suggestions?

2. Ruth
    Ruth August 10, 2010 at 3:52 am | | Reply

Hey, I’m wondering if any one takes their Victoza 1.8 at 6 PM. Since I began that dosage time, oh my….dreams, sleeplessness and GERD at night. I’m going to have to return to am usage. And the GERD (thought I have it, just not this bad) is waking me every half hour. And the half hours I do sleep are interrupted by ruminating dreams. Otherwise, I’m fine lol.

3. Judy
    Judy August 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

Ruth = My appetite has returned too. I did one week at .6, and then 4 days at 1.2, got really sick, started back at .6 a day later and have been increasing the dose by one click each day. I have had no where near the appetite control I had before the sick day. I had initially lost 14 lbs, have gained back 3 and standing still. I was taking this in hopes of losing weight, my Dr. has a patient who has lost 60 lbs in 4 months, but now I am so discouraged. Will continue the treatment until I ran out in about a month, if no more weight lost I will be coming off of V.

I am happy though for all who are having success their sugar control.

4. Ruth
    Ruth August 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm | | Reply

Judy, I’m so happy for each and everyone losing weight. I was so pumped…began on 6-21 and went up to 1.2 the second week. Great appetite control….some nausea…but really..good BS control and lost 11 pounds. I switched times from 7AM to 5 PM and pow…lost it all just like that. And an emotional downer caused me to binge again. I wonder how????????? I couldn’t even finish a full meal. Now I’m back to square one. Higher sugars but not like they were. I pray to God I get back on . Back to 7 AM tomorrow nad pray for better c ontrol. Food is my drug, really. I’m tired of the struggle. Lose 10 gain 5 lost 15 gain 2 lost 20 gain 15. And I’m 100 pounds overweight. All this struggle for 20 pounds when I have so much. I know I sound defeated but I suppose I am. I want to gain that control again. I hope so

5. Judy
    Judy August 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

Well I have been on V 18n days today. I have been having wonderful appetite controll until yesterday. I even had gone up 1 click to 1.3 on the way to 1.8 a little at a time. I have been taking it at night right before bed so I would not feel so sleepy the next day and that did work well , but yesterday about noon I became very hungry. I have not had that feeling since starting V. I decided to go back to morning shots and did it this morning at 1.4. I have been sleepy all day and still hungry and eating a lot. I am worried. My blood sugar is great. I could not ask for any better 90-110 most of the time. But since my insurance does not pay I will be comming off of it in another month as soon as my samples are gone. I had great hope this was the miracle drug. I just want that basketball in the stomach feeling again. Thanks Judy

6. Denise
    Denise August 14, 2010 at 6:33 am | | Reply

Been on Victoza for 2 months now. Went on 1.8 last Monday. I have a lot of redness and itching at injection site, but don’t think that was listed as a side effect? Anyone else having that problem? It’s not annoying enough to stop taking Victoza, so I didn’t tell my doctor yet. I follow up with her next month. Lost 8 pounds so far. Have very little appetite. Blood sugar has dropped below 100 several days now. A little abdominal pain, but not frequent and doesn’t last long. I haven’t checked into the insurance yet, and my 2 samples have run out. I guess we will find out the cost when I get my RX filled. I heard it is really expensive.

7. Donna
    Donna August 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm | | Reply

Hi Karen and everyone! I have 60 lbs. to loose as well. I have been a little cautious about the amount of foods as my eating habits always cut out breakfast and lunch unless I wake up really hungry. I eat healthy foods and I ususally make everything homemade or use whole foods all of the time. Cutting out fats was not an issue as I am not a fat eater and carbs are minimal and in just about everything. It is frustrating to think I used weight 130 lbs and was very active only to have this kick me in the butt. I am ever so thankful that my doctor has given this to me as I do feel like I can take deep breaths now and fill up quickly. The amount of food that I take in is tiny and about the same as my nine yr/old son. I figure that as long as I get at least a veggie (raw) or fruit (raw) in me during the day and very little to eat at nite that the excess body fat is reserve to what I am no longer consuming. When the weight goes down as I expect (only two weeks into this) I will no longer need Victoza. I feel that if it came to no appetite at all into the evening than there will be issues, I still get hungry. Ask you doctor if the eating concerns you, you may need to back down. I have to say I went from .6 to 1.2 with very little issues. I got a couple belly aches when I noticed I fed my son and not myself during the afternoon snack for him. I took a few wheat crakers and goat cheese and felt better. I had to eat VERY slowly as to not upset my stomach. It worked! I no longer have headaches and I feel better in my skin. My nails look healthier and I have a smile inside and out just after two weeks. God willing I get to my healthy weight with no major issues as I click up to 1.8 than I should stand to gain only a better life as my family deserves. The benefits of jumpstarting my body are optomistic as I workout 4x’s a week between 30 and 50 min.s pending on what I am doing. I do have to address how tired I feel. This could be due to caloric change as I only eat something like a half a hamburger and six fries when I eat my evening meal. This is when I make a conscious decision to eat a breakfast the next day of some kind that my body will benefit from even if I am not hungry. I am now off to slowly click up to 1.8! I pray the transition goes well like the 1.2. If not I know the average dose most people take, 1.2, is working and I feel good about that! Best of luck till next week guys! I’ll let you all know how the click-up went. :-)

8. Donna
    Donna August 14, 2010 at 6:19 pm | | Reply

Ruth,
    I noticed the posting where you stated that stressful events triggered your bing. I read most of your postings and found a trend, emotions carry a lot of weight and finding yourself back to the optomisim you began with when starting V is key. Knowing you are of faith I will keep you in my prayers. My emotions create the breading grounds of misery and food is not part of it. I must say I am a fantastic cook/baker, but when I am emotionally off balance my poor food takes the fall (my son goes for the cereal bowl) ;-) . I don’t know your circumstances personally, but I empathize with your need to get back to your happy place. You seem to conscienously know you have to be there, now you just have to take control and get there. From what I have read you can do this and I have a feeling you will. My favorite saying that brings my emotions in check is “let go and let God!” We are all blessed with the gift of will-power and that is my foundation, grabbing it and keeping it. Right now I am exhasuted and want to go to sleep, but I will get on my machine and give my 30 min.s owed to my self-health. If you ever need an ear I have a good one (Psy major and all that jazz). Please shout to me and I’ll give you my email. Hang in there, this too shall pass and you now know how good it felt to succeed! Hold on to that. Oh, and a little tip, I read an article by Dr.Mercola’s website and it referenced that excersize should be done when the pancrease has time to do its job after the workout. They suggest to avoid eating for no less than two hours after a workout as it interfers w/the bodies ability to burn the calories and process the engery apropriately. I can shoot you the website if you’d like.
    Donna

9. Jane
    Jane August 16, 2010 at 12:19 pm | | Reply

Hi all,
    Very encouraging posts. Getting ready to start. 2 questions.
    1. If metformin gives you frequent diarrhea does the V stop it with slowing your gut?
    2. Anyone take V and work 12hr nights? Trying to decide when is best time to take when some days 5pm is wake up time and other days it is dinner time.
    Thanks

10. Ruth
    Ruth August 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm | | Reply

Donna…what a joy, a gift your message was. The intensity of the need for food is so great when it happens that I’m sure it is from the opposite of God. I know how that sounds and I don’t mean to be maudlin, but yes…I do realize my triggers and pacfication with food – gluttony really – has the effect it always does…..instant gratification followed by guilt and saddness from eating. A terrible cycle. As a reasonably bright woman, a social worker no less…I realize it all. But, we can all intellectualize all that we fear, but coming down it it and fixing it…is another thing. Today I haven’t eaten one bad thing LOL. I found that orange flavored tic tacs…many of them…can conquer the desire for Tastycakes and Hershey Kisses. Somehow they are that flavorful, or something. This weekend, my treadmill WILL be assembled. Getting on that will mean everything. Could I walk around the block. Sure, but I won’t. That I will. Or I hope. In my life, I have returned two treadmills and an eliptical. My failure rate is large. Thing is…with Victoza…I was incredible in the beginning. My appetite was gone, minimzed. I couldn’t finish a meal. Somehow…the compulsion to eat took over and I ate through it all. I remain saddened by it…but Donna…you are right! I have let go and let God and I know He will hear me. We are never closer to God than when we are suffering. Many think over-eating is not suffering. Wow, what they don’t know! I pray for results that are desired for everyone. I’m one click down from 1.8 and decided right this moment…it’s the full click (LOL) for tomorrow am. Donna, you came along at the right moment.

11. Sue
    Sue August 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm | | Reply

This is my third week on Victoza. As recommended by the doctor I increased to 1.8 this week. I think this was a mistake. I went back to 1.2 today. I have backache during the day and have been so nauseous at lunch the past two days that I have actually vomited. The day before yesterday I think it was the milk in the cereal that triggered it. I am not a big milk drinker. I agree that the crackers do help. Please, everyone, keep posting. I noticed that I am not the first to have back pain and I was really worried about it. I feel now that maybe it will subside sooner or later.

12. Daniel
    Daniel August 18, 2010 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

Well I’m starting V tomorrow morning after getting some strong encouragement to do so by my PA/CDE. My a1C was 6.2 this morning, so that was fairly gratifying. But I’ve been on glyburide for going on three years and no matter what I do, weight loss eludes me. If nothing else, I’m looking forward to being off the glyburide. If my BG control gets tighter and I can drop a few pounds, I’ll be nothing short of ecstatic.

This is my first injectable and I’m a little nervous about it. The PA says the pen hurts her less than a lancet prick. The prospect of nausea doesn’t do much for me since I’m leaving for vacation this weekend, but I’m not generally prone to nausea, so I’m hoping for the best.

Keep me in your prayers and keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks to everybody for all the feedback here!

13. Donna
    Donna August 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm | | Reply

Ruth… I am so very happy I could reach you! I really want this to work for you and everyone else as well. I had a bit of a challenge recently with being sick. I started to doubt it myself, but I am back to normal -if thats a real state-. It has been so dang hot the past week I have had to use my eliptical (I love that thing). I miss doing my walk/jog as it feels more effective on my muscle tone. I was -saying so optomistically- at 188 lbs so I am looking forward to seeing it drop when I go back to the doc. in Sept. If ya need a personal shout session you are welcome to email at donnanbrock10@yahoo.com. You are in our prayers as well as others. And for all of my remaining V cohorts it has come to week three and I have had to stay at 1.2. I clicked up two times past 1.2 and felt really sick Sunday. I clicked up three levels past 1.2 and was violently ill from about 5:30 am Monday morning forward. I went back down to 1.2 and was a little sick Tuesday late, but more motivated to eat by dinner time. Today, I feel normal and back on track. A little constapated though. I am wondering if it is because of being sick through Tuesday and eating very little -almost next to nothing- or if it is the V. I don’t like eating breakfast that much, but I am going to try and get some extra fiber in me all day before I resort to taking any stol softening aids. Gotta say that when I get back to the doc.s in Sept. I will be curious to see if I lost a significant amount of weight. I promised myself I would not obsess over it and I would just keep to a healthy outlook of exercising more than three times a week. I’ve gotten up to five times! Whoa hooo! I am most excited to not feel so sick from clicking past the 1.2. I am even more thrilled that I can eat less and not have headaches, jitters, passing out, or getting mean when I feel my sugar levels drop. I really think V will be put to the test next week when my PMS comes and my levels really like to switch out on me and drive everyone around me nuts! I ususally get migranes, exhausted, and jittery; then I reach for anything sweet and usually really really really bad for me in excess as I can’t ever tell when to stop when I bottom out. I love cream horns and that is my evil! I am not a sweet eater, but when my sugar levels go crazier just before my cycle I am a mad woman. We’ll see how next week goes, this is the real test!

14. Donna
    Donna August 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

Jane,

I seen a couple questions and this is how I have experienced it thus far:

1. I was bound up the first few days because of the slowing down of the food process, but was fine after. Right now I am experiencing the binding up again, but I wonder if its’ because I was sick from increasing beyond 1.2 (and going back) and really didn’t eat much for about a day and half, but crackers.

2. The time you take it will depend on how your reaction is (if any) and how long it lasts during the day. Consider how it makes you feel and when it would be most tolerant till it passes. For me taking it before I go to bed at nite has been most successful. I see it as it would depend on your reactions to the med. and your life style such as activities and eating habbits.

Sue,

Be cautious about the back pain. Depending on where it hurts it could also be the pancreas. This is one of the signs of concern to connections w/pancreatitis within in the infomation provided by Victoza. Ask your doc. or their nurse about the location of the pain and if there should be a concern if it persists. Also, think about if it is starting from the front and ending in the back as well. I wouldn’t freak out over it, but I would take the question to your doc. at aleast by phone.

Best wishes guys!
    Donna

15. Tammy
    Tammy August 20, 2010 at 10:53 am | | Reply

I started Victoza at the very end of February 2010. Around the end of June I started to get hungry again and unfortunately I have gained back about 12 of the 35 pounds I had lost. To be fair to myself I was only eating 500-1000 calories a day….

Does anyone know if I switch back to the Byetta for a month and then start the Victoza again if I’ll get the appetite suppression back ?

16. Francis
    Francis August 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm | | Reply

Just started this Victoza and i think it is working well. I started at 1.8 six days ago and have seen tremendous decrease in my apetite. Im not a sugar,sweets….person, but i realized my bp level has become normal. Just weighed, and found a reduction from 316lb to 294lb. I think, i have to embrace this with the Gym to loose more.

17. Diane
    Diane August 22, 2010 at 6:10 pm | | Reply

My doc did not tell me to start out at a low dose. So I gamely started with 1.2 eve before last. Felt fine the next day, but mildly without appetite. FBS at 107. Best in years. Today it kicked in with 109 FBS but queasiness, fatigue, dizziness all day and getting worse by nightfall so I am barely holding on not vomiting. Hardly eating at all. Diet food tastes terrible. BS tonight is 98. In addition, diarrhea setting in, probably from the Metformin since I am not eating enought. I cannot be sick tomorrow due to my work so I am cutting back to a lower dose.

18. Diane
    Diane August 23, 2010 at 4:15 am | | Reply

I think someone posted here that they were getting some redness and itching at injection site. I don’t know if this will help but I was told by the pharmacist to make sure that the needles/serum is not too cold from being in the refrigerator before injection and also inject below the belly button rather than above. If this does not matter maybe someone can enlighten.

19. Brebda
    Brebda August 24, 2010 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Posting as a matter of tracking my own results. New meds: Actos once daily; metformin 1000mg in the morning, 500mg evening; Bystolic (am) and Diovan(pm); Trilipix 135mg once daily. Wgt: 177

First V dose this morning (.6). FBS 186, PP 249

God I hope this works! Right now I’m so sleepy I can barely hold my head up at my desk and thinking I need to crawl under the cubicle and take a nap.

I read through all the posts and find them quite inspirational. Crossing my fingers for minimal side effects…

20. misty
    misty August 24, 2010 at 11:20 am | | Reply

I’m down to 132lbs. Yay. I feel much better. Not as sick anymore like the first few weeks. I’m still taking metformin at night and victoza at 1.2. I hope it continues to work! Hang in there everyone!! Keep posting it helps so much!

21. Sue
    Sue August 24, 2010 at 9:09 pm | | Reply

Has anyone experienced muscle cramping particularly in the diaphragm area? I’ve been on V for 2 weeks and have lost 8 pounds, so am happy with that, but not liking the muscle spasms at all. Staying hydrated, so I don’t think the cramping is due to dehydration.

22. Diane
    Diane August 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm | | Reply

No idea about the cramping but plenty about sleepiness. I find we can have such a multitude of problems, it is hard to attribute it to one thing. My second day on 1.2, a lot of nausea and fatigue. Dropped back to .6 but my FBS has been increasing slightly since (from 107, 109 morning following injection with 1.2, then 110 to 123 to 124 with .6). Weight has decreased but I don’t want sagging skin so I am monitoring closely since I belong to mail order weight loss system. I want a 2 lb. a week weight loss. On the other hand, I have been tired for some time (years?) and have taken to sleeping in the middle of the day or late morning. I just had a sleep study and, you guessed it, I have sleep apnea. This is what has been keeping my FBS high despite dieting and exercise and contributing to frequent nocturnal urination, making me sleepy all the time. Don’t know what came first, the sleep disorder, the weight gain or the diabetes.

23. Brebda
    Brebda August 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

Feeling slightly nauseated, particularly this morning, but not enough to be concerned. I am not the least bit hungry today and will have to make sure I eat properly whether I’m hungry or not! How long before you start seeing significant change in BS readings?

24. Darlene
    Darlene August 26, 2010 at 5:00 am | | Reply

I love my V have been on it since this past May. I have lost 20 pds @ 1.2. It works there. I haven’t any nausea for months now. And I found if I am gentler giving the shot then I don’t bruise.
    Now the only problem I have is my insurance (BC/BS) only wants to pay $60.00 of the $279.00 cost per pen. That isn’t enough from them. I done the steps they needed. I tried all the other meds first but they didn’t work like V has. I guess I will have to keep fighting and relying on my DR and her reps help.I hate insurance companies!!!!!!!

25. Tracy
    Tracy August 26, 2010 at 6:47 am | | Reply

All of this info and other’s reports are extremely interesting. I began taking Victoza last week, 8/20. Today is 8/26. Just shy of one week, thus far I have had great results. My doctor diagnosed me with pre-diabetes and was about to prescribe me Metformin, when I mentioned a co-worker with similar health issues, who had in the last six months been put on Byeta. To my surprise, she has lost about 30 lbs. He told me many folks are needle shy, but if I wanted to try one of the two drugs, he was willing because my labs and symptoms warranted some measures be taken. He gave me what he had in stock as a sample, which turned out to be the Victoza. It goes without saying, I am over a 100 lbs overweight and hypothyroid, which means other apetite supressors are not available to me. I am a bit worried at the thyroid cancer unknowns with Victoza, but when factoring in all of my other health issues and those I am prone to through genetics (family history of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, rhumetoid arthritis, etc…) I have to do something. My current insurance will not cover any gastric surgery for weight loss. So, my first week with Victoza has involved some slight nausea (very tolerable), but best of all, I don’t think of food anymore. A sweet food junkie, I no longer crave sugar. My apetite has been more than cut in half. I have to make myself eat and even though gathering much smaller portions, I never finish what I have on my plate. No more needs for bedtime snacks or 2 a.m. snacks when turning the dog out for a potty run. It has been determined from labs done just prior to my starting the Victoza that there are some adjustments needed on my thyroid medicine. I am sure that is why I am a bit sluggish. Hopefully, that will be reversed soon and I can say I feel great. I am less bloated, have not experienced but one episode of light headedness and blurred vision associated with blood sugar cycling (and that was my fault – failed to make myself eat a meager lunch), and I have lost at least three lbs. as of 8/24. I take my shot in the mornings (hardly even feel the needle) and I am on the .6mg dosage, which the doctor says should work for me without any increase. I visit him for a follow up on 9/17. I have had just a bit of constipation. I will increase my fiber intake to counter. I will get back to you after my follow up appt. and let you know how it is going!

26. Larry Wood
    Larry Wood August 26, 2010 at 8:06 am | | Reply

I started taking Victoza on July 31, 2010 and gradually increased the dosage from 0.6mg to 1.8mg by mid August. On August 20, 2010 I had severe diarrhea and vomiting with rotten food in my stomach. I was hospitalized for four days in order to be rehydrated from losing so much fluid over 18 hours. My stomach had shut down completely and was full of food from meals that I had eaten three days prior. Up until August 20th, I was extremely happy with my glucose readings and was consistently under 120. Unfortunately for me, I am hypersensitive to Victoza and have since switched back to taking Byetta. Take this word of warning. If you feel bloated and full and you are belching gas that smells of rotten eggs and other foul oders be extremely vigilent. It could land you in the hospital like it did me this past weekend. Victoza also raised my heart rate from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. It did not affect my blood pressure, just my heart rate.

27. Monica
    Monica August 26, 2010 at 8:23 am | | Reply

I just started Victoza, as Byetta did NOTHING for me. So far, I just moved up to 1.2 dosage a couple days ago. I have had no ill side effects at all. Today I noticed I didn’t want to eat breakfast b/c i just wasn’t hungry. That’s about it. I’m anxious to continue and hoping V will give me better results than Byetta did !

28. Monica
    Monica August 26, 2010 at 8:39 am | | Reply

Byetta did nothing to me. It might as well have been water. Sorry, it did cause horrible swellign and itching at injection sight. V does not do this. I must say that before Victoza I watched what I ate and only had minor slip-ups with fast food maybe once every couple weeks. So I’m hoping it does more than just curb my apetite a little b/c I can starve myself without the meds and have no success ! (as I’ve done in the past) Not a good choice for weight loss, i know, but a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. I dunno, I”m just hoping something happens. ((keeping fingers crossed))

29. LaVonne
    LaVonne August 26, 2010 at 11:03 am | | Reply

Greetings to the Victoza tribe! Today is my 9th day on V and it seems like I could have written at least a part of almost everyone’s post on here. My doctor had me start immediately at 1.2 since I was already comfortable with injections (insulin during GC). Avandia had helped keep my BS down but the edema I was getting was almost crippling, and you’ve all heard the ads about the potential harm. Yeah, I’ve been nauseous and right now have the crummy headache, but it’s not nearly as bad as it was at first. The nausea passes, the headache lightens, and I *know* I can’t eat too much at once or I feel I’ll explode. Down seven pounds–I know it won’t always be like this, but it’s a jumpstart.

I’d been so discouraged for so long and had really given up thinking I’d ever be able to lose weight again (5’4 and 235-ish for years). Lower wieght will mean lower BS. As long as I’m not vomiting in front of my classes, it’s going to be okay, I hope.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. I’m glad I found you. We can help each other just by knowing someone else understands.

30. Gloria
    Gloria August 26, 2010 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

Still losing week. Under 200. Started at 217. Started V on 07/02/2010. Still taking metformin and diovan. follow up appointment with IM physician 09/28/2010. Praying that I’m at least 197 or lower by then. Dont mind the V so much but would love to wean off of the Diovan. Headaches remain and so does slight nauseau. Throwing up less than in the beginning, but it usually only happens when the foods I’ve eaten are too fatty or too greasy.

You guys keep me encouraged. Thanks! Keep posting.

31. Ruth
    Ruth August 26, 2010 at 5:58 pm | | Reply

Hello everyone! I’ve been on V since 6-21 and had incredible success for the first four weeks….lost 11 pounds in a month and lost my appetite, BS’s great, all that. But, as my previous posts stated….the monster called “binge” came back big time. I’m working daily to control that. Ate so bad at night that I have 250 blood sugars in the AM despite the victoza. I’ve had a sense of failure, of course, but I’m trying to get a grip. It’s my last change before insulin. Frankly, Ican’t believe I can eat like I do…when I first began, my stomach didn’t permit me to eat a full meal. I pray that returns. I’m at 1.8 with no side effects. Teh nausea is so fleeting and short lived. I had awful headaches in the beginning but they wore off. I suggest that all users count their blessings that this medicine came out adn we have a chance to sue it. The side effects are about the same for all of us and some are more severe. I say if it you don’t like, go on something else. Otherwise, let’s just be glad it’s out there…something new…and working for most of us. I was just reading Gloria’s post up there and yes, when I eat greasy food or fatty food, my digestion isn’t pretty…gallbladder cries out. Please pray for me that the binging stops. I really want to get well.

32. Jane
    Jane August 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm | | Reply

First day on V 0.6. I work nights and took it this morning after working all night. Just getting up and feel ok so far. I tend to have lots of GI issues from my metformin so will be very slow to increase V.

33. Jane
    Jane August 29, 2010 at 2:45 am | | Reply

first fasting BG is 183 which i am ashamed to say is good for me. That is 100-150 points less than I have been seeing. Had some slight nausea and lots of burps but nothing I can’t handle. Taking 2nd dose this morning at 9 am.

34. Ruth
    Ruth August 29, 2010 at 6:14 am | | Reply

To Jane: me too….the first 183 reading I had was great. since I’m still binging, my am sugars are anywhere from 160 – 200 which makes me ashamed. I began V June 21. My sugars were low, I lost 11 pounds and I never was hungry and couldn’t finish a meal. Something happened that triggered my binging and here I am. I can’t believe, still, that I was able to actually eat like I did/been. I keep using it and am thankful for it…I know my sugars would be so high without it. Treadmill is being assembled today. I pray that will jump start me back to healthy eating. Sometimes, I tire so of the cycle…lose 10 gain 12 lose15 gain 20…eat well, eat junk, eat well, binge. For me, eating is emotional. My drug of choice. I do not drink, smoke, but I do eat. No excuse people, it’s just me. I pray the V kicks in again. 1.8 for two weeks. Everyday I inject, I think please…please, don’t let me me be hungry today.

35. Diane
    Diane August 29, 2010 at 6:29 am | | Reply

On V for 9 days. Previous poster was correct, the nausea was fleeting. I dropped back to .6 for 2 days then back to 1.2. FBS has not remained down as far as I had hoped. For a couple days it was 107, 109, 110. Now, since I stopped the Glipizide also, it is 125. Appetite is mildly increased, no nausea, no dizziness. Weight has stabilized at 166 despite initial loss of 2-3 lbs. Some constipation and possible water retention. I am continuing on the mail order diet system.

36. eve
    eve August 29, 2010 at 7:41 am | | Reply

I just started on it about a week ago. I have some slight nausea, but today my dose went from .6 to 1.2 so we’ll see how I feel. I definitely notice my appetite is down, I eat a few bites, then feel sick to my stomach for a few moments, then just plain stuffed. I have force myself to eat at meal times which is odd for me. I joined Weight Watchers about 2 weeks ago, so I feel like the combination of the two will help (or atleast that is what my endo says). Hopefully I will be able to stop all oral meds and both insulins with this, that would be wonderful!

37. Sharon Garner
    Sharon Garner August 29, 2010 at 8:56 am | | Reply

Well Good Morning! I am so happy to find this blog. I have just started Victoza and needless to say a little nervous butall of your comments have really helped! I am on day 3 with the smallest dosage yet and I am not aware of many of the side effects! YEAH!!! I am loving that FOOD is not as important to me!! But my questions is …when is the best time to take Victoza and must it be at the same time each day??? THANKS!

38. Ruth
    Ruth August 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

I’ve tried it several different times with no influence on BS or appetite control. I pray for the appetite control to come again. Maybe I should go off it a week and then try back on? Anyone have any ideas about that? I dose at 7 AM. Tried 5 PM on the advice of my doctor as he felt it would help with nighttime eating. It did not. I would suggest whatever time is best for you. Or what your doctor tells you.

39. Paul Snyder
    Paul Snyder August 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm | | Reply

Sharon, I would contact the individual that put you on the Victoza. I was on ITwas injecting it In my stomach in the evening.After a few weeks I got pain around my backso the Dr. took me off of it & gave me Lantus Solostar.This is helping me but I am on a low dose & think I should increase it Because my sugars are higher than I like. I wish I could take Victoza , It curbed my desire for food & I lost weight. ( note ) The Dr. also switched me from Januvia to Onglyza. I usually try to take all my meds at the same time every day. Good luck

40. Snowflake2217
    Snowflake2217 August 29, 2010 at 8:58 pm | | Reply

@Sarah, OF COURSE your vision is going to change! It’s because your blood sugars are going down. DUH!

41. Aspiration1016
    Aspiration1016 August 30, 2010 at 2:59 am | | Reply

Type 2 since 2005. BS never really high, but could be better. I had used Byetta in 2009 and it had worked so great for me! Lost 20 lbs, and was feelin fine. My amlase and lipase levels went up and my doc thought i might be getting pancreatitis and made me stop after a couple elevated labs. I went thru a battery of tests, U/S, CAT, MRI, finally a liver biopsy after finding out I had 3 “cysts” on my liver. And they were big, the largest was 9cm x 6cm. MD was scared they would spontaneously rupture. Come to find out the “cysts” were due to my hormonal birth control. Been on some kind for about 12 years, wtf? No one ever noticed. So off of Byetta for about a year, put the weight back on. My doc put me back on. It did nothing for me. I got very discouraged.
    He told me about V, i told him i’d be his guinea pig. First pt he’d put on it. I started V on 8/1/10. I haven’t been keeing track of my weight, but my appetite is so much less. Making myself eat is so weird. I work nights, so to constantly be munching on something all night is in my nature. This is almost all gone. I did 1.5 weeks at 0.6 then 1.5 weeks at 1.2. Now on 1.8 feels ok. No real c/o side effects. Some headaches, nausea, nothing I cant tolerate. I did have a 2 day period where I had the belching gross flavors and I thought it must have been the food i ate (curry, for the first time after starting V), LOL. I wll let my MD know when I see him. My FBS has been great! always below 100, unless I work, and do still snack. Highest then has been 150. Still awesome for me! I have to get to work now. Love this post and will add more as i continue my journey with V! Continued success to all who take the plunge…

42. Jane
    Jane August 30, 2010 at 4:02 am | | Reply

3rd day of 0.6. Lost 3#s but not easily. Sick as a dog yesterday. In bathroom most of evening and stayed in bed most of day. Have to attend a meeting this morning, fingers crossed. I am determined to stick this out for at least a month to see if side effects subside. Now have a headache too. Argh.

43. Francine
    Francine August 30, 2010 at 11:59 am | | Reply

My endro has recommended I go on Victoza because of elevated creatinine levels ans she is concerned that the Byetta will make the problem worse.
    After reading all the comments, I definitely have mixed feelings about switching. I currently have good readings but also take Humalog and Lantus plus other meds for other health problems.
    I checked with my insurance and they do cover the Victoza but at three times the cost of Byetta. This is a real concern to me because I am on a limited income. However, I don’t have to make a decision immediately.
    I have really appreciated everyone’s comments, even when they weren’t 100% positive. Will do more research and keep checking the comments.

44. Donna
    Donna August 30, 2010 at 1:39 pm | | Reply

30 days and doing great w/V! My only consistant issues lye with the stinging pain I get after injecting the meds. Its not all the time, but it still hurts. I eat very little and I noticed that if I have anything dairy it fills me quicker and I have no want to eat at all after it (like I had much prior). I am not a big milk drinker, but if I have a small dish of icecream -about a full round scoop- I feel like I could skip diner. I think this has something to do with the fact that V holds protiens a lot longer and gives the continued feeling of being full. I’m just guessing. Outside of that I won’t step on a scale till next week when I see my endo! I really feel like I’ve lost weight, I just don’t know how much yet. And I know we need to keep supporting each other! SO HANG IN THERE RUTH! Enjoy your new machine! I have to say w/my PMS I get really tired and the low cal. intake has confused my body a bit. I hope my energy levels change into month two as my body adjusts. Any suggestions out there on how to increase it, besides B-vitamins (or any vitamins)?

45. Ruth
    Ruth August 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

Well, I did 10 minutes on my new treadmill today. Going to do 10 after dinner. I’m unsure whether to do it before or after meals. So today, half and half until someone wise tells me.

I’m still eating not good foods. I’m so disgruntled with myself. Trying to get a grip, praying to do so. I’m so proud of all of you for trying it when you were scared, I was too. But I find my BSs are high again despite the V because I’m eating terrible foods.

Don’t give in to bad foods. Don’t try to stretch your stomach. Give it a try and get healthy….tha’ts all any of us want.

46. Jane
    Jane August 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm | | Reply

I need some encouragement I am going to feel better if I stick to this. 3rd day on V and feel like a truck has run me over. Literally exhausted. Diarrhea any time I eat. Sore throat/uppper resp infection. Slight headache ( may be dehydration though). Been reading too much on V and now starting to scare myself that the risks of infection and developing antibodies are too high and I am going to end up with a big infection and/or making no insulin eventually and needing insulin forever. Please tell me I am overreacting and it will all get better and be worth it. I’d love to talk with people who were in the trials on have been on it awhile.
    PS– I am on glumetza 1000 mg a day and have never been able to tolerate more b/c of GI upset. Byetta gave me GI issues and was too hard to dose working 12 hr nights and flipping my life back and forth and actos caused me 40# wt gain and terrible leg edema. I havent been given a diabetes med that has worked for me yet.

47. Sharon Garner
    Sharon Garner August 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

Yeah…it’s a fact that one can scare oneself to death by readying too much on this subject! I’m on day four and still at 0.6 for the first week. I dod contact my doctor this morning and she advised me to take first thing each morning. So far only slight yucky feeling stomach and slight headache…AND I can tell that I have lost weight! YEAH! I scared myself yesterday, however, my BS dropped to 83 and MAN did I feel strange!!! It’s been a very long time I suppose and just did not know it!! This diabetes is a hard disease to figure out!! Thanks for the comments!!!

48. Diane
    Diane August 30, 2010 at 7:24 pm | | Reply

Donna, I would try a smaller needle. I had to get one smaller than the one my doc prescribed and now don’t feel a thing. Pick a site with a lot of fat like under the belly button. Also, there is a very large chance that you are not getting the calories you should in and this is causing your fatigue. Just because you have a low appetite doesn’t mean you are not supposed to eat. You still need to get in protein, vegetables, fiber and fruit according to a good diabetic diet. If you don’t, you are starving yourself.

Anybody, I just discovered that my nausea could be related to other med I am taking which has nothing to do with diabetes. It is a pain med that never bothered me before. However, the combo probably is causing it. Check your other meds if you have a hard time getting through adjustment period.

Jane, you sound like you are working yourself into a panic. Anxiety could explain many of your symptoms as well.

49. Jane
    Jane August 31, 2010 at 6:13 am | | Reply

day 4 on V 0.6. Still feel terrible. wt down another 2.1 #’s so think dehydration is a big factor. Read somewhere to try Activia yogurt so took that after my dose this morning. I dont usually eat artificial sweetners so didnt enjoy it much but if it helps. Still have really bad sore throat and head cold. Tonight will be my first night working since I started and that will be the real test. If I am too sick to work I will have to stop. Will tough out nausea but in my profession I cant be a slave to the bathroom. Main reason I cant take full dose of Met.

50. ruth
    ruth August 31, 2010 at 9:30 am | | Reply

Thing is – there is no perfect pill or med. All will have some side effects. It’s a matter of being able to live with them. I don’t know about any of you, but I ate my way to being sick and I also sat on my butt all my life to get here, too. I am so grateful that there is Metformin, Victoza (my only two) and the other drugs to help us. Insulin, #1. In fact, if the other meds make people sick…insulin will not. I’m trying to be grateful instead of rue the problems. The nausea was there but it wore off as did the daily headache. I’m also grateful that the doctor chose to help me and try this new drug. This disease didn’t find me, I found it…and if I could take back the years of eating and sedentary life, I would. I’m 56 and just now – trying to get motivated to do the treadmill and of course, eat right. I’m a social worker so I sit on my butt most of the day. But, I want to live and live a better life than I am. Praise God for drugs that help us help ourselves. For those with side ffects, just hang in there. Most wear off I think. And remember, you can always go off the drug. The drug is a choice not a sentence.