1,265 Responses

1. Crystal
    Crystal July 21, 2012 at 8:18 am | | Reply

I have been taking this for almost 2 years to help combat polycystic ovarian syndrome & glucose resistance. Over the last coupleof months i’ve been experiencing mild ear pain, a feeling of a lump in my throat & hair loss. I went for a throid ultrasound & a large tumor was found, I underwent a needle biopsy yesterday, awaiting the results.

1. Donna
      Donna July 25, 2012 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

How was your biopsy?

1. Lisa
        Lisa September 27, 2012 at 10:40 pm | | Reply

I too have been taking it for pcos and have a feeling of
        a lump in my throat for a while now waiting to see my
        Endocronoligst .hope your results are clear please let me know

2. Chris
        Chris October 4, 2012 at 7:53 am | | Reply

So sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you.

2. rebecca davis
      rebecca davis September 2, 2012 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

I took one dose of victoza 1.8 , the side effects my head felt like it was going to split open along with that I had a terrible headache and then it would all leave and come back in about 30 to 45 mins it did this for 2 days, after that, my equillbrum was having problems severe head rushes and nausea. does this last a few days or until i stop taking victoza, It suppressed my appettie from fri morning till saturday at 3 with one dose at 1.8. definitely would help with weight loss but side effects are hard.

1. jim
        jim November 13, 2012 at 9:02 am | | Reply

That seems like a very high amount to start with..is it the max dose? my dr. started me at 0.6 for a week and then told me to go to 1.2 and stay there until further notice. no side effects but no appetite. this is great bc i always wanted to eat before. you might want to try again but start at 0.6 and work your way up. :) with my love and a prayer i send this to you.

2. Jerry
    Jerry July 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm | | Reply

I too have been on victoza for 18 months.I am now experiencing the lump in the throat feeling along with some strange feelings through my neck,along wiyh more frequent headaches that are pretty intence at times.this has been over the last 4-6 weeks.Plan on caling Dr. tomorrow.

3. Kym
    Kym July 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm | | Reply

My mom is a diabetic and is on Victoza and has been for about 6 months. Her numbers have improved substantially and she has lost weight. But she recently isn’t thinking clearly and is very shaky. I’m very worried that this is caused by the Victoza, but the doctors are saying it’s not a side effect. Has anyone else experienced confusion and anxiety from Victoza? I’m worried and looking for some answers.

1. jim
      jim November 13, 2012 at 9:12 am | | Reply

Could it be that she is not eating? since it suppresses my appetite i have to force myself to eat but i dont want to eat bc im losing weight. if i eat my numbers go over 200 (were 349 when i startes last month) . if i dont eat numbers are closer to 170 but i feeel a bit shakey. please check on her dose i started on 0.6 for first week then dr moved me to 1.2. some are getting neg side effects from 1.8 the other thing make sure that she has a low carb snack at 10 and 330 should help with shakes. :) please let me know how it goes. jim

1. Maryam
        Maryam December 20, 2012 at 8:45 am | | Reply

I just started taking Victoza…..One of the side effects is a twitching eye, I cant sleep and I have bad headaches like my central nerve system is being attacked…..so dont let the doctors tell you this is not the case…I decided to go to the gym to lose weight and give up the shots

2. Nicole
      Nicole June 27, 2013 at 11:00 am | | Reply

Kym, I very sorry to hear what your Mother is going through. My Mother was prescribed Victoza in June of 2011 to treat her Type 2 diabetes. While she was taking this “terrible drug” she did lose a lot of weight. Unfortunately on June 26, 2012 she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. We were told it would be 7-10 days. Within 2 weeks of being hospitalized she had to have a tracheotomy and she ended up being hospitalized for 5 months, in 4 different hospitals and in 2 different states (FL & NJ). During those 5 months, her liver and kidneys failed, she had to be put on hemodialysis, she received countless blood transfusions, and in October she underwent 2 major surgeries within 1 month. After all she had been through my Mother ended up catching pneumonia on November 1, 2012 and passed away at 56 years “young” on November 10, 2012. I am convinced that Victoza caused her pancreatitis. This “terrible drug” should be taken off the market.

4. MED
    MED July 28, 2012 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

Been on V 2 1/2 years now. I see posts where folks would like to hear from others who have been on V a longer time. I’m one, and would love to hear from others too. For folks whose doctors say you must go to the 1.8 level – if your blood glucose and A1C is good at a lower dose, please challenge your doctor – don’t take more than you need. The company (-I talked to them) said they recommend 1.8, but it’s up to the person and their doctor to decide. They also told me that .6 shouldn’t work, but it does for me at .6 plus 4 clicks. I no longer take any other medicines – have even stopped taking metformin for the past 6 months. Will see my doctor next week to see how the lack of metformin affects my numbers.

5. diane baker
    diane baker July 28, 2012 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

thanks for letting me (and all of us) know your story… still at 1.8 but find the numbers are not as low as when i was using .6!… see the doc in oct so will discuss…

but so far (8 months into it), within normal/high to normal so can’t complain…hate being on insulin (hungry all the time!) so i am motivated to keep moving along with vict as long as i can afford it.. :) keep well

1. David Franks
      David Franks August 4, 2012 at 7:41 pm | | Reply

I guess that I shjould talk to my doc about the size of my dose. He has had me on 1.8 for about 3 years and I haven’t had any problems but do I really need that much or is that the right amount? I don’t know. I also see a G.I. doctor up in Houston,TX for liver problems and he told me that he has a lot of respect for my GP just for the fact that he does have me on Victoza so apparently it does help the liver.

6. CHARLENE T
    CHARLENE T August 5, 2012 at 4:45 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for the weeks so far I’ve had little to no effects I’ve had a little nausea but not that bad it takes a smell to set it off. I’ve started to lose weight my blood fasting numbers have been awesome. I’ve gone from 200+ to now 100.

7. Tracy Baselj
    Tracy Baselj August 7, 2012 at 7:18 pm | | Reply

I am a Canadian Type 2 diabetic and have been taking Victoza with Metformin for about 6 months now and was previously taking Metformin with other hypoglycemic oral medications (about 6 years).

With Victoza, I lost 20 pounds and my HBA1c went from 0.072 down to 0.065 in the first 3 months. I saw a change almost immediately with the starter dose of just a 0.6 mg. My random glucose tests have gone from 7.0-9.0 down to 4.0-7.0 (For the Americans thats 70-90 and 40-70 I believe) I take a dose of 1.2 mg daily. My appetite has decreased a lot and I have to force myself to eat breakfast a lot of the time. I have a hard time to finish meals; so I don’t.

I had nausea and diarrhea for the first 6 weeks but it went away. I still get the occasional bout here and there.

I have seen a physical reduction in my belly fat and have gone from a dress size of 18 plus down to a 14 plus.

8. Kathy Eastwood
    Kathy Eastwood August 11, 2012 at 6:09 am | | Reply

I just was put on Victosa less than a week ago as my sugar can be all over the place, from too high to too low. I began on Lantus, Meteformin and Glipized from the time I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I’m also on Armor Thyroid. I have noticed a decrease in hunger and have to force myself to eat. I don’t have nausea much, but I have noticed that when I have a couple of drinks, and then eat, I get sick to my stomach. I’m a moderate social drinker, but decided now that when I do drink I nurse it. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with Victosa. but generally, just taking my regular meds for diabetes, I know I need to eat first as alcohol tends to lower blood sugar. The other night when I went out. I had a candy bar because I felt my sugar was low and had a couple of drinks. When I tested, it was 300 which surprised my. I took a metaformin tablet and ended up with a 50 fasting blood sugar. I don’t drink sugary drinks I stick with Rum and diet coke.

1. Suncoastgal
      Suncoastgal October 24, 2012 at 7:57 pm | | Reply

Rum is a sugar by-product and can actually increase your BG. Just “feeling” that your sugar is low doesn’t cut it. You have to test, there is no other way.

9. JUDI BAUTCH
    JUDI BAUTCH September 3, 2012 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

My Endo started me on Victoza at 1.2 mgs. After the first 6 days I began to feel really queezy and kind of like unsesttled.
    I did not take it the next day to see if it was the Victoza making me feel that way. I am type2 and also take 1000mgs metformin twice a day, 1.5mgs amaryl twice a day and lantus, 15 units at bedtime. I had my thyroid removed in Feb of this year so I guess I don’t have to worry about getting thyroid cancer from this med but since it has been removed, my glucose levels have been going nuts. Prior to the surgery, my a1c was right at 7, which was great for me as it started out at 9.5 when i was diagnosed about 8 years ago. . Yesterday was the day I did not take the Victoza and experienced no problems at all. Got up this morning and weighed myself after my shower, and I about fell off the danged scale! I had lost 16 lbs!!!! I knew I was not hungry at all while taking the Victoza and ate very little, but boy I could not believe it! So that has convinced me to take it starting again this morning, although it is 3pm and am already beginning to have the queezies in my stomach I am gonna try to stick it out and hopefully this feeling will go away. I used to take Byetta and never had any side effects at all from that, but I lost maybe 8 pounds in about a year of taking that and did nothing for the appetite I usually have compliments of the Metformin I take. So wish me luck please. I would love to kick weight big time and I hope this medicine works as well as it has for me in just 6 days.

10. Paule-Emma Jean
    Paule-Emma Jean September 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

Well today my doctor prescribe me Victoza and i am going to see what are the results. I weight 94kilos and i am 1meter60… i m type 2. i am a bit scared with whta i just read but i am willing to take a chance!

11. Don Griffith
    Don Griffith September 18, 2012 at 3:47 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victoza about 6 weeks ago. I’m wondering if anyone else has delevoped a nagging cough? I can’t seen to stop coughing day and night. I have lost all interest with food and have to force myself to eat. I have also experienced several cases of very low sugar readings, with the shakes and sweats and have to gourge like a bear. Looking forward to my next A1Ctest.

12. Mike Maione
    Mike Maione September 28, 2012 at 3:46 am | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for 20 days and lost 17lb.

I love it

13. shirley
    shirley October 1, 2012 at 3:27 am | | Reply

Two injections 0.6 dose headache unbearable, queaziness bearable. Does the headache ever go?

14. AmberGail
    AmberGail October 3, 2012 at 9:45 am | | Reply

I have been on victoza for about 2 months. I only take .06 a day and I have lost 18 pounds since I started. 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks! My only side affects are obviously decreased appetite and I get lightheaded very often. Sometimes I have to grab a hold of something from falling down. I have been over weight for most of my life(I’m 18) and its a great feeling when people walk up to me and tell me I’ve lost so much weight! I’m down to a size 12 now and I’m so happy.

15. Paul
    Paul October 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

I have been taking 1.2mg of Victoza for almost a month. Before, was maxed out, orally taking 45mg Actos, 5mg Onglyza, 2000mg Metformin for over 3 years. I had an A1C of 6.7 and a fasting blood suger level of 140. My doctor has kept me on the Metformin, but able to eliminate the Actos and Onglyza. My fasting (overnight) blood sugar level is averaging 160 and I think will go lower if taking the Metformin at night and not in the morning? My appetite has certaining decreased although haven’t had significant weight loss. A little nausea at first, but no problems with side affects. I’m optimistic about this medication for long term weight loss and more energy.

16. Chris
    Chris October 4, 2012 at 8:51 am | | Reply

I started using Victoza in June 2012. My doctor had me on Victoza only–no insulin, oral or injectible. My blood sugars were in the 400s after going off of insulin. They remained in the 400s. He started me on Metformin. No results. Next, he discontinued the Metformin, and started me on Levemir (pens). I started on a low dose, gradually increasing the dose by 2 units every fourth day. My fasting sugars went from the 400s to the 300s, and now at 62 units, to the upper 200s. I lost some 30 lbs while using Victoza, but for for the couple of weeks have stopped losing.any weight at all. I believe I will ask my doctor to discontinue Victoza.

17. Renee Beckett
    Renee Beckett October 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm | | Reply

At last visit my MD stated that he is considering putting me on Victoza. After reading all the post, I have to really think about it!

18. Renee Beckett
    Renee Beckett October 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm | | Reply

I am so glad I came upon this site,so I don’t think i’ll try Victoza had more freedom with Lantus but had to stop because it became a work issue. Can’t work and inject any type of Diabetic meds!

1. Suncoastgal
      Suncoastgal October 24, 2012 at 8:03 pm | | Reply

One is usually prescribed Lantus for bedtime since it is long-acting so, as a Human Resources professional I was wondering how using insulin could be presenting problems with work?

19. Frank Reyero
    Frank Reyero October 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for 5 months. I have experience all of the thing mentioned in the above e- mails. However, most of those items have subside. And I have very little discomfort since. Once in a while I’ll get a something tha feel like a sinus headache when I stand up but it’s goes away in a fee seconds. On the good side I lost 23 lbs, from 205 to 182. My A1C was 7.7 and went down to 6.6. My blood counts are better but it all depends on what I eat. Example; 2 eggs and 3 strips of bacon with coffee my reading is 140 after two after of eating. Onc slice of bread with same food, reading is 160 after eating and 2 hours after 2 more hours both drop to 120/100. It’s matter of learning what to eat and how much. I’m eating more fruit and veggies and less Carbs. Cook my own meals, chick, fish, pork, and less beef and stay away from to much process food. Do I cheat once in a while, of course, I’m human, ha, ha. But over the V has been good for me. Had check up in the last two months and heart is good, eyes great and blood work on all other organs checked great. Will see my Doctor in two weeks. He is a hard ass does not give me a break. We have a hate/love relation. Will you know what up with me then

1. Judy
      Judy October 15, 2012 at 9:02 pm | | Reply

Please let me know how you are doing.

20. Judy
    Judy October 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for over 2 years. In the first 6 months my A1c was normal at 0.6. Eventually, it went up. After 1 year, I was taking the highest dose recommended, 3.0. My count is usually still aroung 0.9. It started to make my very ill and because it causes gut problems, had it checked out. The food was not emptying out of my stomach so another med was recommended to fix that. It did work but I do not feel like taking more meds. I went on the belly fat diet and only then lost weight, ate less and decided to go off all meds to see how I would feel. I felt much better and still continue to. I am back on Victoza but it seems for me anyway that carbs affect this drug so I do not eat simple carbs. Hope this info helps others.

1. jim
      jim November 13, 2012 at 9:16 am | | Reply

Thanks that was very helpfull.

21. Sue
    Sue October 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about 2 yrs – have been reading with interest, the people that are experiencing a lump in their throat. I had an Ultrasound and found a lump on the left hand side. Encro recommends a needle biopsy. Has anyone gotten their results back; if so, was is it? (taking 4 mg and 4 clicks / day)

22. Frank Reyero
    Frank Reyero October 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

Went to see my Dr. I’ve lost 2 more lbs. I’ve gone from 205 to 182 since I started on the V. My monthly blood reading averaged 138. Dr. Wants them to be 120 or less and to lose more weight. Wants me to be at 175 lbs. will see him in 4 weeks with new blood work. I agree that the V can be overwhelmed by to many carbs. So whent I eat carbs and check my blood I make a mental note of how much carbs I eat and cause of reading. Example. Sandwich, 3 slice of bread, let, tom, mayo, slice of cheese and diet. Two hours later blood reading is 168 two hour after, reading is 110. If I cut sandwich in half reading are 145 then 95. I may eat half a small fruit in between. It’s working for me but I have to work on what an how much I eat. It up to us diabetic to make it work. On a side note, I’ve had two back surgeries, 4th and 5th lumbar And since I lost those 25 lbs there is less pain in my back and I can excersies for a loner period of time. Very little side effects left. Will let you know in 4 wks what bipod work looked like.

23. Racine Mills-Miller
    Racine Mills-Miller October 27, 2012 at 7:37 am | | Reply

I have been using victoza for six months now my hemoglobin a1c went from 13.6 currently at 5.1 I have had no negative side effects thus far I have lost a total of 40 pounds

24. Nancy
    Nancy October 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm | | Reply

I took Victoza for 8 months. The nausea went
    away after a couple of weeks and I lost a little
    weight, less than 10 pounds. My A1c stuck around
    7.5 and I didn’t want to Increase my dosage as
    my insurance didn’t cover and I am also a little
    afraid of the side effects long term. I am now
    on Januvia but my blood tests tell me my A1c will
    be higher. I also have gained back 5 Lbs. Now I
    don’t know what to do. See my endo in 2 days
    and expect she will not be pleased.

25. Nina
    Nina October 30, 2012 at 9:19 pm | | Reply

Hello,
    I’ve been on V since June and in the beginning I experienced frequent lows but it passed after about a month. I requested to be on V for support with weight loss I was taking 2 kinds if diabetic medication until I started taking V. I went down to 1 and everything is good, decreased appetite, and weight loss.

26. Ask D’Mine: BG Routines and Buttering Up Your Diabetes : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] could go low. So in that case, erratic meals could be an issue for you. But if you take a med like Victoza, which is time-released, doesn’t cause lows, and works whenever meals happen—there’s no risk. [...]

27. MED
    MED November 17, 2012 at 7:53 am | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for a little over two years now – am still on 14 clicks (just under 1.2). The past 6 months my numbers have been rising. Went back on Metformin 1,000 mg, 1x a day and without a change in diet my belly has gained two sizes in three weeks! I went back down to 500mg, but the belly is still there. For the last two checkups the doctor has wanted me to go on a no-carb diet (very hard to do when one has a family to feed). Saw the doc yesterday and again is pushing the no carb – she said none – nada – pretend I’m on Atkins type of no carbs. I do believe carbs have a big impact on how Victoza works – but good golly what can I eat? I’m down to meat and veggies – no rice, no wheat (even whole grain), no potatoes, no starchy veggies. Anyone out there on a no-carb diet – if so how do you do it? (Even lo carb would help as I have the feeling I may cheat here and there till I get used to it).

28. diane baker
    diane baker November 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm | | Reply

you have my complete sympathy on the no-carb thing: it is very hard to do, and meat and veg is expensive, whereas bread, rice etc. are not.

i do feel however, that vict. is more efficient when carb intake is limited, as my numbers go down and i have to say that when i limit my carb intake, i feel a lot better.

even just cutting out bread helps… but that may be due to a gluten intolerance i have and i do feel better generally not eating gluten.

i think your doc is on the right track, and i think you will find your numbers and weight go down, but as for me, i cannot afford a veg/meat only diet.

good luck. :)

1. MED
      MED November 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm | | Reply

Thanks Diane, I truly appreciate the support. I had done as you and had cut back on the carbs the last two years. I had lost about 40 pounds and have gained 10 back. We’ll see how it goes (and how expensive it gets!).

29. Frank Reyero
    Frank Reyero November 17, 2012 at 6:27 pm | | Reply

You are doing great. Do not give up. let’s talk about carbs. I believe we all experience the carb issue. I went through it but found that I did not have to stop eating carbs items at all. It just the amount I carb items tha I eat. Instead of two slices of bread I eat one for breakfast. Mexican food I eat just some of the rice and beans just to get the taste and eat the meat items. I sub iron rings for fries. I eat one small carb item a day the rest of the day is cheese, veggies, fruit, meats and water. The more water I drink it helps flush sugar from my system. I’ve been on the V for 6 months lost 26 lbs. A1C is 6 , reading average 110. Giving up carbs is difficult but doable. Having to cook for family is tempting but once they see you losing weight and blood sugar under control they will be on your side and will scold you when they see you eating carbs. That will be good. Find your eating habit you can do it. Good luck

1. MED
      MED November 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

Thanks Frank. I did cut way back on the carbs the past two years, went whole grains only, very little starchy food. I didn’t stop but was very cognizant of the carbs I ate. I drink very little soda, mainly coffee, water, iced tea, and a bit of milk or yogurt for the calcium. I had dropped about 30 pounds but have gained 10 of it back the last 6 months. I really appreciate the words of support – that helps a lot as I was feeling pretty down with the holidays approaching and having to cook not only Thanksgiving Dinner for our annual party, but also Christmas dinner too. I’m taking it one day at a time.

30. Paula
    Paula November 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm | | Reply

I have been taking Victoza for a couple of years now. This is the only medication I take for diabetes. I only do the 1.2 dose. I didn’t really need it so much for blood glucose control, as my morning fasts were about 105, and I returned to about 115-120 by 2 hours after a meal. I actually started taking it for the blissful side effect of weight loss. Sadly, I have not had the benefit of weight loss from it though. I have had great results with lowering my blood glucose levels… my morning fast went down to about 95-99 and I was back down to about 105-110 2 hours after a meal. I stopped taking it last week because I thought I might have been having an allergic reaction to it. My doctor has advised me to go back on it as of yesterday. Since I didn’t have it for several days, I have to start over at the “baby dose” and work my way back up again. I will say that I had forgotten how horrible it felt to be insanely hungry every minute of the day. Without the Victoza, that is exactly what is going on again. Hopefully this will kick in again soon and I won’t feel so starved. Also, my morning fasts without the Victoza has climbed to 130. I even hit 1832 the other day, which is a record high for me. I’ve never gone above 150 before.

31. Frank Reyero
    Frank Reyero November 21, 2012 at 10:27 am | | Reply

Hi Paula it’s good to see other ways on how people deal or try to work with the V. It seem that the V is working to control blood sugar and weight loss. I find the the minor side effect are well worth the benifits of using the V. I’ve gotten a lot of complainants from friends on my weight loss(25 lbs) but are concern that I’m losing to much. I’m at 1.8 and staying the course. I’m happy with the results.

32. Gina
    Gina November 21, 2012 at 8:59 pm | | Reply

Hi Everyone,

I have been on V for over 2 yrs 10 months. Recently I am seeing names from 2 years ago, like Med and Paula etc. Nice to know you guys are still on V. I lowered my dose to a few clicks before 1.2 and my last test came back 5.8. That was the same result from when I was taking 1.8 dose. so, I am trying to lower it even more. I have again changed my diet to low carbs. At first, I missed my carbs but as time went on, I got use to it. what really helps is reading eat this not that, it tells you all the fat and calories in the everyday food we normally eat. and just having that knowledge your own mind doesn’t want all that bad stuff in you.
    I eat low carbs for my diabetes, not to lose weight. Gave up on that . When I first started V. in the 1st week I gained 7 lbs and it took me 1 year to get rid of it. So, I do believe when someone says I exercise, eat right and still do not lose weight. my blood sugar and LDL, HDL and cholestrol are great. so, it shows that my eating habits are good. Eating low carbs is not that bad. I eat 2% cottage cheese with cinnamon, walnuts and an apple for breakfast, salad with Grill Chicken and pear or apple for lunch and dinner a meat, fish or chicken with fresh veggies. For snack I have a yogurt. Not missing any sweets because my breakfast and yogurt gives me that missing sweetness. cut out the carbs slowly and substitute it with something delicious tasting. Like, cut up an apple place it in a small baking dish or alumiun foil and mix in cinnamon, 1 tsp Polaner sugar free apricot preserves, 1 tsp no sugar syrup chopped walnuts and bake covered for 15 minutes. Go all out and add lite whip cream 2 tsp = 2 carbs and you have your own apple pie without the crust of course. I started taking Green Coffee bean extract and Raspberry Ketones. I didn’t lose any weight of course! but, I wasn’t hungry either. I would eat lunch and don’t want to eat dinner and sweets and chips that my husband puts infront of me doesn’t even bother me at all. well take care all write to you soon.

33. Frank Reyero
    Frank Reyero November 22, 2012 at 9:28 am | | Reply

Great text, good to know that we diabetics ate learning to live a good wholesome and healty life. Let keep it up and keep each other informed. After all only we diabetics know what it takes to live with this disease.

34. David Salvette
    David Salvette November 24, 2012 at 12:58 am | | Reply

I had a very bad experience with Victoza a year ago. While on Metformin since 2/10, I was put on the injectable Victoza in 2011 and developed a high white blood cell count and was directed to the emergency room by my doctor. Whatever they gave me worked within a couple of hours, so I checked myself out of the hospital the same day to go to a convention in Baltimore the next day, with the doctor telling me I was a potential sepsis victim, after which I promptly wet my drawers, but I had to jump on that plane for business (convention) reasons!
    While in Baltimore the first day, my right leg turned red and itchy with cellulitus, and I ended up in John Hopkins for three days. A couple of weeks later, I resumed taking Victoza and quickly developed a nasty case of red-welt hives on my groin area! My doctor never said the Victoza was to blame for these incidents, or for several thousand dollars of medical bills. I am now on Nova Log and Lantus for the past year and battling diet and breathing issues after triple bypass surgery in May of this year. After daVinci prostate surgery in May, 2010, I have gone through the wringer! I have done over 100 triathlons (now age 61) and hope to do a few more before I cash in my chips — life isn’t always a bowl of cherries, is it? Have you had any allergic reactions to Victoza?

35. Frank Reyerofrank
    Frank Reyerofrank November 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm | | Reply

So what’s your point? Was the V the root cause of your problems? So the question is has anyone had an allergy reaction from the V? Lets be informative but also factual!

36. Sue
    Sue November 25, 2012 at 4:15 am | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for about 2-3 years (1.6 plus 4 clicks) and my doctor sent me in for a Ultrasound – results showed an enlarged thyroid (compared to a previous ultrasound done in 2004). Endo ordered a needle biopsy – has anyone done this and if so, what were the results?

37. robert
    robert December 7, 2012 at 8:21 am | | Reply

Just started v and already feel better. aftter four days im losing wgt -can feel it= attitude better, though worried about side effects of thyroid etc—we’ll see. for now I swim better and by the way am now also taking testosterone prescribed by my endo.

38. Pat
    Pat December 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

Has anyone experienced penis soreness while taking Victoza? I didn’t take my victoza for 4 days and I wasn’t sore but after I injected myself the next time I was sore within a few hours. Has anyone else heard of this?

39. Vince N.
    Vince N. December 21, 2012 at 10:20 am | | Reply

Have been on V for about 30 days. First week or two at .6 then 1.2
    Have had some headaches and my eyes are twitching too!!!
    Doc visit coming up so I’ll see how much it has helped.
    Stopped actos to try V.

1. Vince N.
      Vince N. January 2, 2013 at 7:38 am | | Reply

Actually was on V for approx 90 days.
      Talked with Doc and she agreed that I should STOP taking V.

40. stuart
    stuart December 27, 2012 at 3:52 am | | Reply

Hi everyone i’ve been on V for two weeks 1st week at 0.6 then 1.2 loosing weight and no side affects as yet .
    I also take Metformin x4 and Gliclizide x4 daily blood count is coming down slowly now between 8/12 fingers crossed things keep getting better.
    All the best folks.

41. Debbie Arato
    Debbie Arato January 8, 2013 at 10:21 am | | Reply

Taking V at 1.2 increased from .6 about 1week ago. I am very nauseous,throwing up 2x a day.
    Blood sugar down significantly . Took me about a month to get rid of side effects at .6. weight loss is 20 pounds but I am not eating healthily at all. Can’t keep much down? advice? Deb

42. kimberly
    kimberly January 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

just took V for the first time today my a1c is 10 im on lantis, glimepiride, glumetza. i weigh about 210… wish me luck folks cause im scared

43. Pam
    Pam January 11, 2013 at 3:50 am | | Reply

Get off this stuff now. Confirmed that is can cause Pancreatic cancer and after watching three of my family members suffer with that, it isn’t worth it!

1. Stuart Ferguson
      Stuart Ferguson January 11, 2013 at 4:04 am | | Reply

This sounds quite scary Pam but could you tell me where you got conformation so I can check it out for myself before I stop this medication .
      Thanks
      Stuart.

44. Pam
    Pam January 11, 2013 at 9:48 am | | Reply

I have a family history of p.c. and the doctors at John’s Hopkins Cancer research institute strongly suggested that I not be on this medication. The link to thyroid cancer and Victoza is a given. The entire endocrine system is at risk which they don’t want to tell you about. If you watch tv at all you will be seeing the law offices of several firms getting information and lawsuits again the makers of Victoza due to the increase of cases of pancreatic cancer. Not that I am a fan of these types of lawsuits, but as I said, seeing my family go through this is enough to scare me off the stuff. I had horrible abdominal pain and when I told my endo about it she said, drop the dose. When I talked to my internal medicine and even my OBGYN, they both said, get off it now. It just isn’t worth the risk for me. Look into the research and ask questions and make your own decision. Good luck!

45. Harry
    Harry January 11, 2013 at 11:55 am | | Reply

Pam

I’m sorry to hear that you feel the way you do and that you have a family history of PC, but that is not everyone’s condition and/or history. All meds have side effects good and bad. All meds have some sort of related health issue, this one is no different. Your doctor may be right is your case, somebody may have gotten PC from this med (more than likely for or from something else), but to bash someting that hasn’t or didn’t work for you is not a fair assessment to the general public. I have been on V for three years and have had no, non issues. I continue to get checked from one end to the for other health reasons and I have yet to be given a PC condition. I’m also very aware of the risk, but I’m not blinded by the results that I have been able to acheive. For me if something new comes out that will work I will try that as well. It just like losing weight not all diets work the same for everyone, some will lose a lot and some will lose a little, but that doesn’t mean the diet is no good.

I wish you the best of luck, and have a blessed day….

46. Ruth
    Ruth January 12, 2013 at 8:50 am | | Reply

I agree with the above. To some, any possibly side effect condems a product to them. I’ve been on V for three years with positive results. I have tyroid scans every six months and blood work every three.If i had a family history of any side effect of any drug I wouldn’t take it. Bottom line – any drug you take – you risk the side effect, or better yet – weight the side effects with the positive and make your OWN informed choice. I trust my endo and my PC, who know me very well. And to be sure, if I developed pancreatic cancer or thyrid cancer – I knew it before I did my first injection. It was me who injected it and it was me who did the research and decided to take it.

47. Frank
    Frank January 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm | | Reply

As diabetics we need facts and not half truth. We all must be aware of our family medical history before we take any Meds, but to blame some Meds for past family history is not only unfair to the meds but also to we diabetics that depends on those meds. As diabetics we all know how difficult it is to deal with this disease and what we need are facts so that we can help each other. I’ve been on the V for 8 month and as I stated before lost 25 lbs, lower blood sugar and A1C is 6.5. and most of all my eating habit have improve and eating more healthier..Let stick to the facts.

48. Pam
    Pam January 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm | | Reply

Try these then.

April 20, 2012 — Public Citizen, the Washington, D.C.-based consumer advocacy group, is petitioning the FDA to immediately remove the type 2 diabetes drug Victoza (liraglutide) from the market. The petition claims that the injectable medication puts patients at risk of thyroid cancer, pancreatitis, serious allergic reactions, and kidney failure.

“More and more people are taking this drug, and more people are experiencing serious health problems as a result,” Public Citizen director Sidney Wolfe, MD, said in a statement. “Clearly, the FDA’s warning system is not sufficient. The drug should be taken off the market.”

Novo Nordisk, the drug’s manufacturer, strongly disputes Public Citizen’s statement.

1. Brooke
      Brooke January 13, 2013 at 11:04 am | | Reply

I’ve been taking it for two years now and it doesn’t do anything except help my migraine headaches. I crave sugar from the Novolog and Lantus. My sugar is 300-400 every day and my A1C is went from 9.7 to 9.2 – big deal. I only weigh 125 lbs and don’t understand this diabetes type 2 at all!

49. Ruth
    Ruth January 13, 2013 at 9:51 am | | Reply

Heavens, Pam, you’ve made your point. Thanks for the warning(s) and your point of view. Let’s move on for the benefit of everyone. Again, anyone who takes V, knows the risks before they first inject. The bottom line of responsibility belongs to the patient to police their own healthcare. I won’t comment anymore to Pam’s emails. I permit her to have the last word of warning. Hopefully, indeed, the last word.

50. Carol
    Carol January 13, 2013 at 10:55 am | | Reply

What time of the day do most people take their injection?