1,266 Responses

1. Donna
    Donna April 18, 2012 at 2:54 am | | Reply

will start V in morning

1. Linda S.
      Linda S. April 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza three months ago, and I have lost 25 pounds. My A1C dropped from 6.3 to 5.8, and my glucose isn’t over 115 in the morning. This drug has only been a positive experience. No side effects, only benefits.

2. Sody
    Sody April 20, 2012 at 6:48 am | | Reply

I started Victoza yesterday. I weigh 228 lbs. with a hieght of 5’11. My FBS is 130 (High for fasting). I noticed that I felt nausea within about 20 minutes of the shot. However, as far as the first day goes I was impressed with how fast it works. I could not finish lunch or dinner. Day – 2, This morning I am forcing myself to eat so I can take my Meds. I can’t wait until I get passed the first few weeks of feeling nausea.

3. katherine peacock
    katherine peacock April 22, 2012 at 8:24 am | | Reply

i am currently taking 1.2 of victoza. was feeling very sick,which after 2 months as passed.at present i have been very giddy when i stand almost falling over,like im going to pass out,also at present im also having trouble breathing,just a short walk in my own house and my breathing becomes very tight.my diabtes as become better,but i must say i dont like these strange effects.at present due to see my nurse.

1. linda ruiz
      linda ruiz May 30, 2012 at 10:09 am | | Reply

Ms Peacock, iirc The symptoms you describe are listed under the ones that you should call your doctor about right away.

4. Anne Lewis
    Anne Lewis April 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm | | Reply

4/4/12 started first wi. 0.6 thereafter 1.2 no problems whatsoever, no cancer, thyroid or pancreatic history in family – about 6 lb. wt. lose, much lower blood sugars, they were high on glyberide medformin – still taking those with Victoza. This could be wonderful – hope it fulfills it’s promise long term. Have “rational” control over food – amazing!

5. Harold
    Harold April 24, 2012 at 7:06 pm | | Reply

Be careful on the dose of glyburide when taking Victoza. Talk to your medical professional to reduce the dose of the glyburide inorder to minimize the risk for low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia).

Good product and it has proven to show very good A1C reduction in patients with type2 diabetes

6. june
    june April 25, 2012 at 4:02 am | | Reply

my partner has been on victosa for 6 months now, he felt sick all the time but he now takes it before he goes to bed which he found much better as he slept the nausea away.

7. gary
    gary April 26, 2012 at 9:39 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about 9 months.Initially same symptoms as some of the comments above nausea,dizziness etc.Periodically they seem to re appear,4 weeks ago i was showing all the signs of pancreaitis,vomiting,severe stomach cramps acute kidney pain.I stopped injecting now i feel like i have been in a bubble for 9 months and someone popped it! i am functioning alot better,no pains at all,ok i put a little bit of weight back on but i feel in the real world again !!

8. Sody
    Sody April 26, 2012 at 11:33 am | | Reply

I switched to taking it at night and it does seem to help with my nuasea. Still not a big fan of this, I feel half alive while taking it.

9. Rosemary Mather
    Rosemary Mather April 28, 2012 at 11:59 am | | Reply

I just started Victoza (0.6mg) on Tuesday past. I have terrible nausea and diarrhea. The nausea is lasting nearly all day and I cant really eat much, 1 slice of toast and 2 plain biscuts. The upside is, Ive lost 7lbs since Tuesday. Im due to go up to 1.2mg next week, but the way Im feeling, I dont think I could, I will have to speak to my nurse. Has anyone else had the severe diarrhea?

1. linda
      linda May 9, 2012 at 5:30 am | | Reply

My first week of Victoza was not enjoyable either. Once I started the 1.2 dose everything went away and I feel much better. I have more energy and am getting back to doing things that I haven’t been able to do for a while now. I guess I feel like me again. Hopefully this will last. My bs numbers are good and lower than they have ever been. I see the doctor on May 11th interested in the weight loss. I have been able to bypass alot of things I use to eat, it is like a burst of willpower that really makes me stop and think instead of just grabbing. Portions are smaller because if I eat too much I don’t feel so well. Hopefully I will have great things to post. But stick with the next dose to see if your syptoms dont go away. As of right now, I really like this medicine and hope to continue getting healthy!

2. Linda B
      Linda B May 25, 2012 at 6:02 am | | Reply

Started Byetta 5 mg last October and lost 15 lbs, 3 weeks before nausea decreased, but toughed it out. This Monday went to doctor for follow-up, he suggested Victoza – only one injection a day, yeah! Since starting on Monday I have never been so sick in my life, vomiting, nausea, diahrrea – yup, sure do loose weight – can’t eat. Guess I will have to go back to Byetta, wish I could stay on V, but afraid to go through all the side effects again – any ideas???

10. Laureen
    Laureen April 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for over a year. When I had nausea and headache initially, my endocrinoligist told me to reduce
    the dose and go up on my dose more slowly to the final
    1.8mg. I went from an A1C initially of 7.8 to an A1C of 5.8.
    I lost 92lb over this year and began exercising a lot.
    Victoza has been very helpful to me.

1. Jackson
      Jackson April 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm | | Reply

That is amazing!!! Did you change your diet drastically?

2. diane baker
      diane baker May 25, 2012 at 10:33 am | | Reply

i am heartened to see a post from someone who has been on v. for over six months…it is such a new drug that there are no long term studies: will it continue to work? for example.

i am glad you have hung in: i have had no side effects, except weight loss (20lbs) and appetite suppression (YAY from looking at what others have written, i guess i am one of the lucky ones…i have not had to use insulin since the second does of v. i use fast-acting only when the numbers go above 12 (canada) and then, i only need 15 units once and things seem to settle back down.

i have stayed on 1.2 since i cannot afford the 270 CAD it would take to use 1.8…

for me, it is a miracle drug and i thank all the lab rats that made it possible

11. jeanne ceccoli
    jeanne ceccoli April 29, 2012 at 9:47 am | | Reply

i’m 2 clicks away from the maximum 1.8 dose of v. been on 3 weeks now. since going past1.2 dose i’ve been vomiting and have nausea all day. and had terrible pains around my ribs. anyone else ever feel like this on v?

12. Joanie
    Joanie April 30, 2012 at 6:57 am | | Reply

I’ve been on the full dose for a week now…I was on byetta before, guess that’s why my doc started me at full dose. All I’ve experienced is nausea all day and not hungry at all. Feel a little weak, probably because of not eating! I’m giving it a couple of weeks and if no changes will contact my doctor.

13. mona T.
    mona T. April 30, 2012 at 7:03 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for a month now. My morning fast have gone from 300′s to 170′s on 1.6 dose. I have had no side affects except a reducttion in my eating. I have to force myself to eat at mealtime. I comsume smaller portions. Seems to be good stuff.Hope is continues to keep working. I feel good and have energy again.

14. jeanne ceccoli
    jeanne ceccoli May 1, 2012 at 6:48 pm | | Reply

jackson, my food intake went down drastically when i started taking it. sometimes not even hungry at all, but i make sure i eat so i don’t get light headed. thare are days where i am hungry though. but i eat about half of what i was eating.

15. patrice manning
    patrice manning May 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

Im new to victoza ive been on it for 5 days i havent had any weight loss as of yet but i have notived that my morning bs are not in the 300s anymore im happy about that im on prednisone 40 mgs everyday and it makes me hungry how ever i have noticed that iom not as hungry!! I will continue to up date as i go thru this journy

16. jeanne ceccoli
    jeanne ceccoli May 3, 2012 at 4:48 am | | Reply

good luck on it!!!!

17. Frank Reyero
    Frank Reyero May 4, 2012 at 6:42 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for six week and have experience the same conditions mentioned. I started at 0.6 and now at 1.8. I’ve lost 12 lbs, eat less and smaller portions and yes at time I have to force myself to eat. My AC1 went from 8 to 7. My BS has been up and down from 200 to 78 but I blame this on adjusting to new eating habit.. What to eat and not eat, when to eat and not to go to long without eating, which causes liver to put out more sugar. Some foods taste better than other. The nausea is almost gone and my appeite is coming back slowly. I take metformin also. Blood presure is also down. I’m happy!

18. patrice manning
    patrice manning May 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

Ive now been on victovza for 8days my does has gone up I cant eat as much and bs have gone down Ive actually lost 5lbs!!!

19. Laura
    Laura May 5, 2012 at 8:50 pm | | Reply

Have not written in a while. I am urging once again for you all to go out and get the book, Diabetes without Drugs. I was on Victoza and Metformin. I read the book, decided to get serious and give it a try. Started Jan 1. To date, I have lost 35 pounds, have not taken Victoza since November, and no more metformin since middle of April. Just had my blood work…doc NOT happy that I stopped my meds…BUT, when my blood work came back…it was NORMAL-NORMAL!!! And, get this, she still wanted me to take the meds! How crazy is that? I think that book definitely has the answers!!! Give it a try, stop taking all that medicine, and FEEL BETTER than ever. I felt so bad all the time taking all that medicine…now I feel so much better. Almost like my old self (except a few aches and pains from getting older!). Good luck everyone!

20. laura
    laura May 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for three weeks. I took .06 the first week and am up to 1.2. I have no side effects at all at first, but now have nausea and diarhea. I also have pain in my mid back on both sides. I mentioned the pain to my doc and he thought it was because I’d started exercising, but I don’t see how the treadmill would do that. Anyone have the same thing? Also, if I go back to .06 I’m wondering if I’ll keep losing weight. I’ve lost 20 pounds so far and I sure like that. Plus my sugar is normal.

21. Rosemary Mather
    Rosemary Mather May 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm | | Reply

Laura I have been on victoza for 2 weeks now. I have had such nausea and bad diahrrea I have been unable to go up to the 1.2mg and stayed on 0.6mg, but have to see my nurse tomorrow and I know she is going to increase it then, Im really not looking forward it at all. I have a bad back anyway so cant really say about it, but I have had pains and aches in my lower tummy. Ive just lost 7lbs, but uve done brilliantly loosing 20lbs, but im wondering is all this sickness and running to the loo worth it!!! Of course we’re going to loose weight not being able to eat, its just horrible!

22. Boris
    Boris May 8, 2012 at 9:50 pm | | Reply

I am type 2 and try to stay off the meds for the last 2 years. Last checkup showed a slight increase upward, so my doctor advised a more drastic change or take meds.

Luckily just saw this study:

I am waiting for reply to see if I qualify for this study. They do use V later on if the sugar increases. Will you know how it goes. It’s about a 1 plus year involvement.

23. judy
    judy May 9, 2012 at 9:39 am | | Reply

I have been a diabetic since 1988, have tried everything. Am still on 1,000 ER (extended release) metformin. if you are sick to your stomach, diahrrea, etc. be sure you are not on regular Metformin. Have been on Victoza about three weeks, amazing drug, lost 5 pounds, not hungry, blood sugars have dropped dramatically, insulin dosage almost half of what i was using. The only problem I am having is back ache (kidney area), don’t know if it is the Victoza or not, since i do have back problems in the hip and sciatic nerve.

24. leslie e.
    leslie e. May 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza two days ago. The doctor wasn’t happy with my BS levels. (Right there at the doctor’s office, it was 285.) She recommended I start my V dosage at 1.8mg. Uh, not good. The next day at work, I was dizzy, extremely nauseous and experiencing low BS. So, on day 2, I decided to dial back to 0.6mg. I’m going to stay at 0.6mg until I stop feeling nauseous and sick to my stomach. Also, I’m eating lighter and smaller portions–helps me not feel so sick. I’m going to give the drug 2 weeks at 0.6mg. I have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in 4 weeks. BTW, doctor also prescribed metformin. However, I don’t think I can take another drug just yet, maybe in two weeks.

25. Lucy
    Lucy May 14, 2012 at 8:56 am | | Reply

Victoza slows your stomach from emptying, therefore, you feel fuller. I think this can be bad for those that already have Acid Reflux. Also, I hate the side effects – worse than the problem! Thyroid tumors/cancer, pancreatitis, kidney failure. Good grief!! I’ve started taking .6 and haven’t had the nausea much – yet! My Thyroid doesn’t work and I take daily Thyroid medication so I’ve very concerned with the cancer issue. We’ll see how it works. I’ll stop before I get a greater problem and have to go to the hospital!

26. pantherblue
    pantherblue May 14, 2012 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 I started taking 0.6mg of Victoza. First 2 days was fine then the nausea set. On Friday, May 11, 2012 I started taking the injections at night it’s helped some but I havne’t been able to make it through a day without wearing “Sea Bands” to help with the nausea. On Saturday, May 12, 2012, I increased to 1.2mg of Victoza and the nausea did increase so tonight I plan to take it a little earlier than I have been to hopefully become able to sleep through the nausea. It is working and I plan to continue to deal with the nausea as long as I can because I’ve seen the changes in me – daily fasting blood sugar was 140 – 170 range now 120 – 140 range. I’ve lost 6 lbs. since I started so I’m praying this helps me get back to feeling back so I can start exercising and eventually come of some if not all of the medication I take. (Also, daily take 1500mg Metformin)

27. Horselover
    Horselover May 16, 2012 at 8:29 am | | Reply

I was taking v for over a year. I lost 5 pounds initially but slowly that crept back on. I was also taking Actos/Met and got a scare with being told my bladder showed signs of cancer cells, lawsuits about Actos causing bladder cancer. (No such cancer in my family) I immediately stopped taking both of those medications and am now on regular Metformin 1000 two times a day. This is causing reflux and diarrhea. I can tell you that taking the regular Altoid peppermints when nauseated from Victoza helped me tremendously.

28. Rosemary Mather
    Rosemary Mather May 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm | | Reply

Just taken my first dose of 1.2mg after being on 3 weeks at 0.6mg due to really bad nausea and diarrhea. Hoping I wont get the bad side effects again, but am expecting to. Im also on Metformin SR 1000mg 1 per day and 2.5mg of glipizide 1 per day. Im wondering is this v worth all this!!!

29. Marfearne
    Marfearne May 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm | | Reply

The the fad celine bags with new styles and unrefined figure are on sale.Welcome to our celine bags store allow the richest,cheap celine bags.Fastest deliverance,No Tax.
    [url=http://www.celinetotejp.com/]セリーヌ[/url]
    [url=http://www.celinetotejp.com/]セリーヌ バッグ[/url]
    [url=http://www.celinetotejp.com/]セリーヌ トート[/url]
    セリーヌ : http://www.celinetotejp.com/

30. Lucy
    Lucy May 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza around 2 weeks now and my BS has still been high – in the 300′s. This morning it did read 160 for the first time. I haven’t had diarrhea but constipation which I have to ease with laxatives. I am now on 1.2 for about a week and do have some nausea but it’s not so bad that I can’t get through it. The weight is about the same but I really need to cut back on carbs. I haven’t really had any stomach pain or back pain so that’s good. I am experiencing some blurry vision in the morning – that is unusual for me even with high BS readings.

31. Lou
    Lou May 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza in Dec. 2020. I insisted on dropping avandia after a heart attack. I then started Actos and gained 40 pounds. I insisted on getting off that and lost 40 pounds. II was taking 160 units of novalog 70/30 a day when I started Victoza. I soon cut back to 80 units a day. Then I was on 60 units of insulin a day and I very slowly lost a little weight over the course of a year I lost about 20 more pounds and my blood sugars were better. Now I have lost 10 more pounds recently and I have cut my insulin to 6 units a day. I met with my dietician the other day and she wrote on my plan that I will soon go off insulin altogether. She said I am the very 1st client/patient that she has ever written that for! Yeah! I think Victoza was the hormone that I was missing! My brain feels so much better! It is not so difficult to concentrate, focus, and my eye doctor said I gained a line better on the eye chart so I have 20/15! I am happier and I worry less. I was agitated and nervous before I cut back on the insulin. I think I was feeding the insulin. I would feel full, but feel like I had to eat to keep my sugar from dropping, so I cut back on the insulin, my sugars maintained and I didn’t have to feed the insulin and eat more. I feel good now!
    One thing I found that I like is a counter top oven- mine was called Trinity Triwave. There are others. I like it because I can cook chicken , lean beef or pork or make French fried potatoes with just a little spray of olive oil and they turn out like restaurant or fast food. It is because it is a halogen oven, infa-red oven and convection oven all in one. (It costs about $70 bucks.) Therefore it makes food crispy on the outside and soft potatoes or moist meat on the inside. I eat a Greek salad and a little fruit. I swap out real whole food for junk or candy. I have satiety! A real sense of well being like when I was in my 20′s!

32. Lou
    Lou May 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm | | Reply

I forgot to say my A1c was 6.7 recently and I think I am doing even better now. Also my dietician just called me to say that the FDA just approved the use of Victoza with Novalog insulin. That’s reassuring! Hee ! Hee! I am almost off insulin, losing weight little by little and I have hope for the 1st time since I developed diabetes 23 years ago during chemotherapy with cancer. I used to take insulin and think – this doesn’t work – nothing makes sense! I was always trying to eat something to make my brain feel right and have fuel for energy just to have the energy and sense of well being and satiety gone so quickly and the desire to eat was not just a desire for satiety but to have a balanced sense of well being in my brain! Now I think – wow – diet and exercise makes sense with Victoza!

33. jeanne ceccoli
    jeanne ceccoli May 31, 2012 at 5:08 am | | Reply

i’ve been on victoza now since april 7th. lost 20 lbs. yay!! the nausea and bad side effects have subsided. my blood sugar has never been better since i found out i had diabetes . good luck to everyone who is on this medication.

34. Beth
    Beth May 31, 2012 at 5:34 am | | Reply

Gee, it doesn’t do much for me except keep my migraines at bay and make me not so hungry. I only weigh 124. My sugar is always 300-400 on novalog 70/30 twice a day. If I take it 3 times, I get an awful headache. They are going to try me on Lantus along with Victoza. I love the Victoza, but it only keeps my sugar around 268. Thought if I lost 20 lbs and weigh 104 maybe the sugar numbers would be better, but the doctors don’t seem to think so. I’m type 2 for four years. Not much hope for me at 300-400 every day. Can’t last long like that. The insulin brings it down, but makes me have a ferocious appetite so it goes right back up. I need help and soon. Going to see a big doctor/researcher at MGH, but not sure what he can do for me. I can’t do it on my own.

1. cg
      cg May 31, 2012 at 6:45 am | | Reply

Victoza seems to be a wonderful drug for some and the opposite of wonderful for others, so good luck to you with the Lantus. I went off Victoza a week ago and began with Lantus -
      I was happy about this as I prefer as few meds as possible (and I’m also still on Metformin). The V was just awful for me side-effects-wise and didn’t do much good for my BG either. Lantus is the first insulin I’ve taken (10+ years type 2) and I’m close to being regulated on that. More importantly, though, I feel human and happy for the first time since before I began Victoza.

35. TerryB
    TerryB May 31, 2012 at 6:49 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for 5 months now and my thyroid has started creeping up . Now I am on Levothyroxine. My sister had
    thyroid cancer which was from exposure as a baby. I am just wondering now.

1. TerryB
      TerryB May 31, 2012 at 7:03 pm | | Reply

Oh, my sugars went up at first, when I switched from Byetta. I have had virtually no side effects. I am taking 0.6 mg. MD told me to slowly increase one click for a few days until I reached 1.2mg. I did that for 2 days and then my sugars came down and I started getting the pseudo lows again. I went back to 0.6 mg and my average has dropped to 133 from 166. I am happy with that range. I get the shakes too much. My copay is expensive $50/month. I have had diabetes since 1998 and have been on Metformin, Actos, Byetta, Avandia, and now Victoza.

36. MED
    MED June 1, 2012 at 4:17 am | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza going on two years now. Still at .6 plus 4 clicks – seems to be my sweet spot. Slowly cut back on my Metformin over a year and a half, went from 2x a day to once a day, then one every other day, and since January none! I will have blood work done the end of July to see how I’m doing with no Metformin to supplement the Victoza. However the last few months have had problems with my legs, feet and hands – neuropathy and vascular issues. The weight is starting to creep back up too – have gained back 10 of the 30 pounds I had lost, and am back to where no matter how good of a diet I have, how much exercise I do, the weight still goes up. Prior to V the only way I lost weight was starvation – under 1000 calories a day and closer to 600. Even the first few months of V when I was losing weight was due to not eating – just wasn’t hungry at all for about 3 months then the appetite slowly came back and the weight loss leveled out. I’m 5’8″ and 207 pounds – would love to lose 50 more pounds and hopefully go off V for good – would even take 30 pounds and be happy. I know there are so many of us out there that no matter what we do, the weight doesn’t come off. Anyone have any luck losing weight after the “honeymoon” weight loss of Victoza? And for those of you who say it’s all diet and exercise – BULL. Maybe for you, but I’m 51 years old, intelligent with several degrees, am very healthy other than Type II Diabetes and the vein issues, and I know how to eat right, exercise, and what exercises target the body in which ways. There ARE those of us where it doesn’t work – please don’t push your views of it’s not how you eat – it’s what you eat, that everyone can lose weight if they just try, etc. etc. Even my doctor/ nutritionist/ exercise coach and endocrinologist are at a loss what to do next. They just keep saying hang in there and don’t stop, but no weight loss in over a year now. For everyone else like me – anyone have any suggestions or success stories on what to do?

1. Margaret
      Margaret July 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on victoza for about 8 months. I had no bad side effects. I had just found out I was diabetic when they checked my A1c which turned out to be 6.5. At first, I had a reduction in appetite. That was nice as I’m like you. I have to really limit calories to lose any weight at all. I’m 5’6 and weigh 198. Its such a struggle. I go to a nutritionist who has helped me a lot about sources of protein I hadn’t considered. I have a difficult time exercising because of my fibromyalgia. I’m staying on it. My doc. told me to just stop exercising before I feel pain. Anyway, hang in there. We can do this! I forgot to say that my first A1c after diagnosis and diet change was 5.5. Then I wasn’t so strict so the next one was 6.0. That may not sound bad for many of you, but my mother’s sister had both legs amputated and her two brothers had strokes at young ages and were in nursing homes. Diabetes is scary stuff.

2. Bud
      Bud July 20, 2012 at 11:47 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about 90 days. I have lost about 30 pounds so far. My Appetite is still there but I am eating less and I no longer get ‘frantically hungry’. My blood sugar is running around 100 – 150 (was over 400). I have changed my lifestyle. I rarely eat carbs of any kind. I have learned to enjoy Stevia Sweetener (0 Calories, 300 years of no recorded side effects). I have learned that I can eat a lot more green beans, salad and lo glycemic index foods while filling up without raising my blood sugar. I have been off of Sugar meds since April. My blood pressure is settling in at 120/80 for the first time in 6 years. It was running 200/170. I have more energy. I have joined the gym and I am exercising every night before bed. I am 51 and have several degrees. I weighed 395 lbs 1 year ago now I am down to 352 lbs and losing more every week. I am feeling much better these days. I have learned that type 2 diabetes is 100% curable. I am looking forward to losing the next 50 lbs. Victoza is helping me even though it makes me a little nervous.

37. diane baker
    diane baker June 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

i am 61 and have been using v. for almost 6 months and i really really understand (from person experience) what You are saying about weight gain.

when i was first diagnosed (abt. 10 years ago – type 2), i was able to control the blood glucose and weight with diet and exercise.

that plan lasted for 5 years. i then began to realize that , as i aged, no matter if i was running a marathon every week and fasting every other day, the sugars were just not going to descend and i continued to gain weight.

i went on insulin (levemir) and i was hungry all the time… not just hungry –but ravenous. that of course, precipitated more weight gain. i tried metformin, but i then had to live on immodium and zantac along with it, so i stopped.

the insulin dosage had to be increased over time and i was ‘staring down the barrel’ of insulin resistance.

on v. like You, i have had an initial weight loss of abt. 20 pounds and i am managing to keep to @ 175 (i am 5’6″)… with the help of v.

but, like You said, the initial ‘honeymoon’ phase of appetite suppression is wearing off at this point. ( i can only afford to take 1.2 per day, but have flirted with 1.8. )

at the 1.8 level, i did notice more ‘food apathy’ and an extremely dry mouth but finances prohibit further dosing at that level.

i don’t think, if one is genetically programmed for middle age weight gain (and type 2 diabetes) there is much You can do about gaining weight as You age…at least that has been my experience… granted the v. has helped, but i dont know for how long i will be able to keep the initial v. weight loss off…for one thing, as i get older, i get more tired, faster, so even though i now am able to do a fair amount of exercise ( i also garden almost an acre of herbacous perennials as well as the walking), i don’t know how long i will be able to maintain this level of activity.

i know it is good to keep a positive attitude. stress increases bg. i do tai chi and meditate and these help too.

but, with v. i have had absolutely no side effects, except a bit of nausea at the beginning and if i overeat. that, and a dry mouth which continues.

my bg levels have been well within normal range from the first .6 dosage and i have stopped insulin altogether after the second dose on the second day of using v.- at the .6 level.

i walk 2 miles a day as simple exercise and do not own a car so i need to walk to get groceries etc . i eat what i want (within a reasonable diet framework).

thankYou so much for posting, as a longer time user of v.

i wish You (and all on the v. journey) the best and i am so sorry that, for some, this drug is just not working for them…for me, it has been nothing short of miraculous.

except for the cost :) ( here in canada, there is no insurance for v. unfortunately).

38. diane baker
    diane baker June 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm | | Reply

i forgot to mention that i use stevia and splenda almost exclusively to sweeten anything. i think this helps too.

39. diane baker
    diane baker June 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

@ MED: i posted a longer reply to Your post, but don’t see it… ?

1. MED
      MED June 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm | | Reply

@diane baker – I don’t see it either.

1. diane baker
        diane baker June 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm | | Reply

@MED: well the short version :) i am 61 and was diagnosed 15 years ago. and i KNOW how frustrating weight loss/gain is at my age anyway.

tried managing the blood sugars and weight for 5 or so years w/ diet and exercise, but realized that age-related metabolisms just don’t get with the program. after i wasput on insulin, i was not merely hungry, but ravenous…all the time :( and i of course gained weight…just what a type 2 is NOT supposed to do.

v. has enabled me to lose 20 pounds and keep the bg numbers within normal ranges. i stopped insulin after the second .6 dose on the second day of use, december 27/11.

i do not drive/own a car, walk two miles a day usually, meditate and do tai chi (stress seems to elevate bg, for me) and tend almost an acre of herbaceous garden. so i am busy.

so, all this is by way of saying: i feel your frustration. i am on 1.2 now and the appetite suppressant thing is not working as well as it once did after almost 6 months of use. i have adry mouth and a bit of constipation, but still feel lucky that v. has worked out so far…as i have said in other posts, it is nice to hear from someone who has been on it for a longer period of time, since there are no long-term studies of this drug that i know of.

so i hope the best for you…keep calm and carry on, just as you have been advised.

1. MED
          MED June 2, 2012 at 5:10 am |

Thanks Diane – it really does help when I hear about other’s lives, how V is working or not, and how Diabetes has affected their lives. Knowing that there are others out there with the same issues, the same problems, and hopefully learning from each other how to deal with the issues really does help! I truly appreciate your response and I wish you the best and I hope V will work long term for you!

40. MED
    MED June 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

Artist Jen Jacobs, who has been living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 12, is launching a new diabetes art project. And the best part is that it involves you! Jen is reaching out to members of the diabetes community and asking us to e-mail a declaration to her. Please send one sentence to Jen about what diabetes means to you. It’s that simple. Her goal is to gather unique perspectives from all over the world and unify them into one large mixed-media art piece. You can also visit Jen’s website for more information: http://www.diabetesart.com. Please help spread the word about this by reaching out to any and all who might be interested in participating.

41. diane baker
    diane baker June 2, 2012 at 8:36 am | | Reply

@MED: you know, even though type 2 is a real problem to deal with, i am so grateful i do not have type 1…. this is a whole other disease imho and one that i am glad that i have dodged.

i hope jen’s project is a great success…i wish her the best.

42. Janet
    Janet June 6, 2012 at 6:40 am | | Reply

I have used Byetta 5 and lost 40 pounds, but I could not get to the 10 without having low bs. Also used Victosa for a year. BS was good but didn’t lose any weight. Now I’m using the new one – Bydureon. Only been on it two weeks and it is supposed to take 3 to 4 weeks to start working. Has anyone tried this or seen a blog for those who have?

43. Brenda
    Brenda June 30, 2012 at 5:10 am | | Reply

I was diagnoses with diabetes II about 2 years ago. I started out controlling it with diet and exercise and then my A1C started to creep up to 7.0. I had problems with metformin and Onglyza ended me up in the hospital with chest pain and pains in my right side. Needless to say I had to go off it. Onglyza also caused my hair to really come out bad. If you are on Onglyza and you are experiencing hair loss, it is the reason.

My physician wants me to start on Victoza, however I developed gastroparesis 5 years ago when I had my gallbladder removed. When I read the medical information that came with the Victoza, it said not to use because Victoza also slows down your stomach from emptying. Now I don’t know whether to take the Victoza and hope that the gastroparesis is gone or not use this drug. I use Amaryl to help control the diabetes, however it is still not under complete control. My BS is under 200 and I want to keep it that way. Weight loss is a problem for me and I was so upset when I went to the doctor last week and found out I had hit the 200 mark. It seems like the more I try to keep the weight off, the more I gain. I have tried 2 smoothies a day and 1 meal, however I still gained weight. I don’t put any sweetener in the smoothies and I use oat bran and walnuts for fiber, so I stay full for hours. Still no weight loss at all.

Diabetes is a real concern for me because my father and grandfather were both diabetics. My grandfather lost toes to the disease and my father lost 1 leg and half a foot. I don’t want to end up an amputee like they did. In my father’s case, he would not stop drinking and smoking, however my grandfather did neither one. My father passed when he was 78 years old and my grandfather lived to be 2 weeks from 102 years old. So it goes to show if you take care of yourself, you can live a long life. I am a 62 years old female and I do not smoke or drink. If you are a smoker or drinking please stop because this disease is no joke. It will cause you to lose limbs and kill you. My father’s toes amputation, after 2 years still was not healed and he didn’t take care of it. He ended up with a MRSA infection that could not be cured. Pay attention to any numbness or tingling in your toes because you are not getting enough circulation. Lack of circulation can cause us some real problems.

I have back problems and bone loss in my hip, so it makes it hard for me to exercise. The nurse told me anything that is moving and raising your heart rate will help. I also saw ON DEMAND has some exercises for chair cardio exercising. Maybe that can help someone out there.

Lots of blessings to all that have this horrible disease. I do a lot of prayer about my situation and keep the FAITH and TRUST that God is going to reverse the diabetes for me, but I have to do my part in order to get that blessing.

44. Valeria Evans
    Valeria Evans July 1, 2012 at 8:35 am | | Reply

Hello MED truly feel your pain I have been on V for 6 weeks now I have lost 12 lbs and bs have dropped from fasting 180 to 90-110 hope I can get this weight off and keep it off need to lose at least 75lbs have tried a lot of things and just could not lose any. I have not had any of the side effects others speak of but my weight gain began for the year of being completely on insulin for the diabetes would love to get off of it like so many others was on Avandia and had a heart attack and by-pass surgery had to take insulin after that. Thank you so much for your story hope we all can get our health probems solved. We will all Pray for one anotherin this struggle

45. Margaret
    Margaret July 5, 2012 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

Going on 3rd week of Vic. Started with 0.6 for 1 week. Only a very slight feeling of nausea every once in awhile. Totally gone on 2nd week and taking 1.2. Have lost 6lbs so far. Appetite is definitely suppressed, and you feel sluggish until you eat. I was on ER Metformin 2000mg and Tradjenta 5mg. and adding Metformin with victoza since fasting BG is avg.160..we’ll see if adding metf. will help.

46. leann
    leann July 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

i have been on victoza for a year.I’ve lost 80 pounds with this medication,diet and exercise also included.I have not felt this good in years.My doctor took me off all my medication for diabetes.I will be retested in 3 months.Victoza saved my life!!!! I love to get out and walk,play with my children and my two year old granddaughter!!!

47. JUNE WINDSOR
    JUNE WINDSOR July 8, 2012 at 9:38 am | | Reply

I
    I HAVE BEEN ON VICTOZA FOR TWO WEEKS NOW.MY BLOODS ARE FANTASTIC,THE BEST THEY HAVE EVER BEEN,ON 1.2, WAS VERY SICK THE FIRST WEEK,BUT NOW ALL UNDER CONTROL,LOST TEN POUNDS IN THE TWO WEEKS,HAVE HAD DIABETES FOR TEN YEARS,AND THIS DRUG IS THE BEST IV’E HAD,HOPE IT CONTINUES,IT DOES STOP ME EATING,NEED TO JUST LOOSE A COUPLE OF STONE,NAUSEA AT TIMES,BUT IS WORTH IT.GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE,WISH ME CONTINUE LUCK…..JUNE.

48. Mildred
    Mildred July 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

My husband just got out of the hospital. He has been on Victoza since April. In April his liver function was normal, now it is not. He has had blood work, ultrasound,CT scan and an upper GI. He will have a colonscopy Monday.He has lost over 40 pounds but has not been able to eat lately. He has nausea, weakness and pain. The Dr did not ask him about gallstones. He did not know to tell his Dr that he has had a large gallstone for several years. The ultrasound shows spots on his liver so they are trying to find out if he has cancer somewhere else that had gotten to the liver. He has not had a biopsy yet but that will be after the colonscopy. He has been off the Victoza for a couple of weeks since all this trouble started after he started the Victoza.

1. Earl
      Earl July 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm | | Reply

First I would like to say hopefully your husband will be ok. I too tried Victoza for about 10 weeks and was the most miserable time in my life. I had so many side effects from it that no way was I going to be able to take it. God Bless

49. mike
    mike July 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm | | Reply

i took victoza for 18 mos. lost 25 lbs then it put me in the hospital with pancreatitus iam allergic to glucophage so now they want to put me on insulin for type 2

50. mike
    mike July 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm | | Reply

i feel a lot better after they took me off of victoza