1,266 Responses

1. diane baker
    diane baker January 5, 2012 at 5:41 am | | Reply

january 5, 2012:

type 2 for a few years…metformin intolerant… was using abt. 100 units of novomix a day and bg was still a bit high, hungry all the time and weight gain.

started v. on 26 december 2011…. no side effects except a bit of constipation….bg low enough after the *2nd dose* (.6mg) that i could no longer use insulin….

a little more than a week into the therapy and glucose levels are all within normal range w/ maybe a 12 twice, but going back down….no hunger… weight loss not much but will have a clearer idea in another few weeks…

dr. has advised to stay on the low .6 dose if it continues to keep the bg down .

it is also cheaper that way and, for me, money is an issue and victoza is not covered by any health insurance that i know of here.

really want to know abt. long term usage, so would appreciate any followup info on that. great blog.

60 year old, female from canada.

1. Trude
      Trude February 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm | | Reply

I found after using it a few months, weight is coming off, portions are a lot better, but my vitamin D levels are dangerously low. They are suppose to run.between 30-100. Mine was 6.

2. Kimberly
      Kimberly March 2, 2012 at 7:18 am | | Reply

I Started Victoza Monday this week and my blood sugar levels were down the very first day!!! I am feeling so good!!!! I am at the 0.6 dose and increasing the dose to 1.2 on Monday the 5th Im hoping to not have the nausea that some of the ppl have described in their comments. I dont have the hunger cravings that I was having during the day especially at 3pm and Im eating less because Im getting full faster. Hoping to lose a few lbs. If your dealing with high blood sugar levels and you havent tried Victoza yet try it!!! I am so glad my Dr. suggested it.

3. tina s.
      tina s. March 23, 2012 at 6:48 am | | Reply

I tryed byetta and victoza, byetta worked good for about a month then had no effect. victoza had a slight affect that quit also. why does it do that?

2. Steve
    Steve January 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm | | Reply

Does anyone know, After you’ve lost the weight you need to loose can you stop taking victoza or do you start to gain weight back if you stop? Any knowledgeable replys appreciated.

1. cg
      cg January 10, 2012 at 8:34 am | | Reply

Victoza is not a weight loss drug. It’s for diabetes. So, whether or not you stay on it or go off it (or any other drugs you’re taking along with it) depends not on your weight (or on how much you’ve lost or gained) but on your blood glucose levels. As I understand it, for some people the weight they lose while on Victoza might help reduce blood sugar levels to the point that they need less (or even no) medication. In cases like that, if the person gained weight after going off the medication their blood levels might go back up and they’d have to go back on a medication.

Hope this helps.

1. Kristian
        Kristian January 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm | | Reply

I take Victoza to control my Insulin Resistance, so, while this reply is correct for those with type 2 Diabetes, the Victoza was prescribed for me as a way to control cravings. Here is what I know:

The issue with Insulin Resistance is that, while my body produces insulin correctly, it has problems using it efficiently. This means that once I train my body to eat a carbohydrate free diet without problems I can reduce the amounts of medications like Metformin I take daily.

However, the hard part is beating the cravings. The Victoza helps me feel full after a small meal and makes my cravings much easier to ignore. Also, by nature, cravings take about three months to die down (not be cravings anymore) once you have prohibited intake. So for my Insulin Resistance, the Victoza was no longer needed once I successfully switched over to a carbohydrate free lifestyle. I have lost 40 pounds, and my fasting blood sugar is, on average, 85.

So, the best way to know how to take the any medication is to know exactly why your body needs it, and do the necessary research to make sure it’s the right medication for you. Like said above, Victoza is not guaranteed for weight loss, and it should be treated as an important tool to help your body’s chemical makeup, not as a quick fix. Also, remember that using Victoza to control diabetes or insulin resistance does not replace other important medications, vitamins, and healthy diet and exercise.

I hope this post helped! (Not sure if I replied to the right person..)

1. tina s.
          tina s. March 23, 2012 at 6:52 am |

so do you eat a carb free diet all the time? I found it hard to stick to for a long period of time.

2. ken
      ken January 19, 2012 at 12:56 am | | Reply

The unpopular fact is a low fat, low salt, vegetarian based diet, and an hour of daily exercise beats any diabetes drug 10-fold.

Yes, after you’ve lost the weight, stop taking this medication.

3. Liz
      Liz April 30, 2012 at 4:44 pm | | Reply

I took victoza back in the fall for about 3 or 4 months and I took off about 15-20 lbs. I stopped taking it because the side effects scared me back in December. I have since gained the weight back steadily without really changing my diet or exercise plans.

3. perch59
    perch59 January 11, 2012 at 4:43 am | | Reply

I used Victoza in 2011 for about 7-8 months and then slowly slipped off the band wagon. During those months my A1c was great, lost weight, felt great. So, last week I decided to begin my Victoza use again.. I was very nauseous and gaseous. I did have some nausea last year, but not compared to last week. Has anyone had this experience with the med?

1. Angie
      Angie January 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

I’m having same issue – took for 6 months with minor nausea, quit for 4 months, back on for last 2 months- horrible nausea! Vomiting almost daily, tried doing only .4 dose and increase and doesn’t help. My original run I was at 1.6… Ideas?

1. Wendy
        Wendy February 29, 2012 at 7:05 am | | Reply

I started Victoza 3 weeks ago at .6mg, was fine then 2nd week upped to 1.2mg and was nauseous all the time.so i tried having breakfast then taking Victoza about 1/2 hour after eating and haven’t had any problems. hope that helps :)

2. Kevin
      Kevin April 15, 2012 at 12:23 am | | Reply

I have been taking Victoza, 1.2 a little more than a week now. My blood sugar levels dropped down considerably, but I am getting terrible gas pains in my stomach and chest area. Will that eventually stop? It is almost unbearable pain right now.

1. Kevin
        Kevin April 15, 2012 at 7:50 am | | Reply

My blood sugar was not bad before taking victoza. My Doctor increased my Metformin before that, and it seemed to do the trick. I am seriously thinking of stopping the victoza after reading the comments here from others, and experiencing the side effects I have had.

4. Angel45
    Angel45 January 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza a little over 2 weeks ago. My blood glucose levels were not well controlled. After the first day my numbers were down and continued to decrease daily. My numbers now run between 91 and 106 and I did lose 6 pounds in the 2 weeks. My Dr. has decreased my insulin to keep my numbers from getting any lower. The only side effects that I have had is burping but I can deal with that. It is working for me my numbers have never been so low.

5. Angel45
    Angel45 January 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

Also my insurance will cover the Victoza and I can get the box of 3 pens for 59.00. That’s awesome because I could not afford it otherwise.

6. Daphne
    Daphne January 18, 2012 at 8:27 am | | Reply

I am at a desperate point in my life. I am 42 years old, I lost my hearing when I was 19years old. At the age of 31 I was successfully implanted with cochlear implants and they work well for me and I can hear with them really well. My hearing loss is still a mystery. A couple of months ago my diabetes RN educator thought I had Mitochondrial diabetes. It was determined that is not the case. It was also determined I am type 2 and not type 1. I am on the omnipod insulin pump and I use over 100 units of Novolog per day. Yesterday I was seen at UW diabetes care center…awesome doctors. I am desperate, miserable, depressed, in pain, and swollen! I have always battled weight problems but now I have gained over 25 lbs since I started the omnipod pump back in October 2011. Nothing helps, I exercise, I eat healthy and about 1500 calories or less per day I still gain wait (due to the insulin). So yesterday I was given the Victoza to try. I started my first dose (0.6) this morning a little over an hour ago. I am nervous, scared, but hopeful. I have not had any symptoms yet.

1. David
      David January 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm | | Reply

i have been taking Victoza for over a year now and haven’t noticed any side affects. I also have liver problems but when my GI doctor in Houston heard I was taking Victoza as a preventive measure to keep my blood sugars in check for Diabetes he was thrilled and complimented my general practitioner for prescribing this fairly new type of drug. Apparently Victoza has preventive benefits also for a person with liver disease according to my GI doctor. Could anyone explain to me if this is true and if so how does this actually work in reference to my blood sugars? So far my blood sugars have been great (between 80-120) the recommended levels. I rarely even have to test my blood sugar levels anymore but Victoza seems to have a lot to do with this.

1. Daphne
        Daphne January 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm | | Reply

Thats great! Day 8 on victoaz for me and its been amazing. I havent had any negative side effects yet. I did not know about this possibly helping the liver. My kidneys and Liver show damage so I have been very worried about that. I have decreased my basal insulin from 1.4 u/hr to 1.0 u/hr. My IC ratio has changed from 1:4 to 1:12 and my blood sugars are between 80-120, just absoulutely amazing. I have gone from using over 100 units per day to now about 40 units per day and I am hoping I can get to the point where I dont even need my insulin anymore. I havent noticed any weight loss but thats too soon to tell. I have notices a HUGE decrease in my cravings and eating habits. I just do not have much of an appetite and I dont think about food constantly anymore so this is very good news to me. Hopefully I can lose some weight finally. After going on the insulin pump I gained over 25 lbs in 2 months. So depressing. I hope I can continue to benefit from Victoza.

2. Barb
      Barb March 4, 2012 at 9:56 pm | | Reply

Wow, Daphne! You deserve a break, Girl. Please say how you are doing on the Victoza.

7. Danny Mosley
    Danny Mosley January 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victoza abt.6/2010.started 0.6 for 1 week and then went to 1.2 No side effit. from 6/2010 to 1/2011 i lost 25#
    In Jan,2011 abt.the 10th i started have a pain under my breast bone
    i let it go for about 3 days pain lvl. abt. #4 3rd day temp.got up to 102% My wife took me to the ER.with chest pain went thru the
    whole heart thing EKG Nitro spray under my tounge. Then it
    was off for a catscan.The ER DR. later on came and told me
    i had pancrestitis my PCP told me then GET OFF THE VICTOZA

8. Danny Mosley
    Danny Mosley January 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm | | Reply

Then i stayed in the hospital for about a week.My Endo said after i got out of the hospital to start the Victoza again. 1 week after getting out of the hospital had to go back stay for 4 days this time.Now my Endo says no more Victoza.But untill i had to go to the ER Victoza was Great so i see the side Effic. with Victoza are like a sucker punch ya never know when its going to hit.But if you can take it like i wish i could go ahead but the frist day you have pain under your breast bone STOP THE VICTOZA. and get to the Doc.

9. Samantha Daner
    Samantha Daner January 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm | | Reply

I am a Type 1 Diabetic. My blood glucose levels had been erratic with an A1C of 9.1. My Endo prescribed Victoza stating that it would help reduce the elevated BG and would be helpful for weight and assist in reducing the amount of insulin needed each day. Before taking, I researched Victoza and found the Black Box warning and the fact that it is a drug not intended for Type 1. I called my Endo on these facts and reminded him that I had been a cancer patient in the past and was not a Type 2. The response? “The benefits are likely to outweigh the risks”. That was 6 weeks ago and I have yet to use Victoza. Is there any information on Type 1s who have used this product and with any amount of success or consequence?

1. Brandi
      Brandi April 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm | | Reply

I am an educator in an Endo office and we frequently use Victoza with some type 1s. It helps decrease their pst meal glucose spikes and helps level it out. I think it’s definitely worth a try!

10. PAT ALMAS
    PAT ALMAS January 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm | | Reply

When was given Victoza, my Dr told me in would work on the pancreas to produce insulin & thats why its for type 2 diabetes only. Type 1 doesn’t have much of a pancreas to access insulin – I am also wandering why the Dr would give it to you-are you a study group or something?

1. Samantha Daner
      Samantha Daner January 20, 2012 at 8:45 am | | Reply

Pat, you are correct and thank you for your comment. Type 1 patients typically do not produce insulin. I am not part of a study group although when I called to question the warnings that Victoza was not for Type 1s, the doctor’s PA said he wanted to “see what will happen”. Maybe it’s time for me to find a new Endo as I don’t want to become a guinea pig for an experiment that sounds risky at best.

1. Micahel Covell
        Micahel Covell April 25, 2012 at 2:34 pm | | Reply

Not only does Victoza assist in the body’s ability to produce insulin, it also reduces the body’s secretion of glucagon. Glucagon raises blood sugar. I believe this is partially why type 1s find benefit in using Victoza.

11. PAT ALMAS
    PAT ALMAS January 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm | | Reply

Cost of Victoza is partial covered by my drug plan (pay $29.00 for 3 pens) – retired OPSEU member – hope this helps someone-

1. tom carter
      tom carter February 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | | Reply

Has anyone else had issues getting this approved by their Insurance carrier (Blue Shield CA)?

I have been taking it (Samples provided by my dr) for 6m weeks and seen amazing results, blood sugar down 24%, 13 pound weight drop- never hungry and feel great.

Blue Sheild references insufficient trial data on Byetta, a completely differ4ent drug and much less desirable then victoza based on its half life and Nausea issues… i see some struggle with Nausea on Victoza here too…i don’t.

Any advice on insurance is appreciated./

12. SG
    SG January 19, 2012 at 7:54 am | | Reply

Has anyone else had problems with Bronchial, Sinus or Ear infections while using Victoza? I had all very severely, within 10 days of starting Victoza – and took a month to get over it… was OK for about a week – now have another Bronchial infection. Dr said to stop Victoza until well…. but gave me nothing to take for diabetes. Victoza care line said “small percentage” have upper respiratory infections… Anyone else?

1. Ben Masten
      Ben Masten January 19, 2012 at 10:44 am | | Reply

I don’t think I’ve had an “official” sinus infection but my nose has a slight nasal drip all the time. I have to blow my nose frequently.

2. Karen
      Karen February 21, 2012 at 5:08 am | | Reply

I have also had the sinus issue — I wonder if you have allergies, if there’s something in Victoza that’s causing this. I’ve had the gastric issues as well, both indigestion and lower GI problems, but I think it’s because you can’t eat any dairy or food with fat with the drug. High fiber/high protein/low carb may be the best way to tolerate the drug.

1. Barb
        Barb March 4, 2012 at 10:00 pm | | Reply

I didn’t see any warnings about dairy or fat. Where did you get that info?

13. s
    s January 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

In November, 2010 I had been taking Victoza for three or four months. It lowered my blood glucose levels to normal, I lost several pounds each month, less of an appetite, felt energetic. No significant side effects at all. I thought that it was a dream come true. And then after being on the maximum dosage for about three weeks, still with no noticable side effects I woke up one morning feeling sick to my stomach. As the hours went by I continued to feel extremely nauseated and then the pain started feeling like it was going from my upper stomach through to my back. It got so bad I had to go to the emergency room. It turned out that I had PANCREATITIS. I am not a drinker and imaging did not show gall bladder disease. I was told in the ER not to take any more of the Victoza. When I went to see my endocrinologist I was told that they didn’t think that the Victoza caused the PANCREATITIS, but don’t take Victoza ever again.
    Don’t worry I won’t. The dream drug turned into a nightmare. I truly believe that we are being used as willing guinea pigs by the big pharmaceutical companies. By the way, the lost weight is coming back. I know this posting is about Victoza, but anyone with painful carpal tunnel symptoms who is taking Januvia, should look into seing if the Januvia may be causing the carpal tunnel symptomse due to the hand swelling that it may cause in some individuals. My doctors (hand surgeon, pain management specialist, endocrinologist) never mentioned this to me. But I stopped with the Januvia and my hands are now functional and not painful (within three days of discontinuing it). I hope everyone does well with their Victoza, but if you are taking it and the nausea is out of the ordinary and especially if it seems to go into your back, please get in touch with your doctor immediately. I think that the cases of PANCREATITIS are being attributed to other causes and are being under reported to the FDA and the drug manufacturer. I hope that someone will investigate this.

1. Barb
      Barb March 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm | | Reply

Did your pancreatitis go away when you stopped the Victoza?

14. Nancy
    Nancy January 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

Victoza does NOT increase insulin output! What it does do is surpress appetite, which tends to make you eat less, which causes you to take less insulin, and tends to lower blood sugar. That in turn lowers your A1C. I am aware of quite a few Type 1′s who use it, myself included. My diabetes doctor is nationally known and he prescribed it. Insurance will sometimes pay for it if your doc submitts a statement of “medical necessity,” and you can prove that while you took it you lost weight, your A1C went down, etc. My doc gave me a couple of pens free, and that established that it did work for me, and was necessary. My insurance did pay for it okay the first time I asked for it. Some insurances will do that, but you’d have to get a doc’s statement to get more. Also, the major issue with V is the nausea and digestive discomfort. It is very rare to get any of the thyroid, pancretitis, or other serious side effects. I DID have a serious side effect, but when I got off of it, it all went away, and I’m fine. Frankly, if we as diabetics didn’t take drugs with serious side effects, we wouldn’t take any drugs at all! They all have one serious side effect or another, but V has only been out for only about 18 months, so you never know. It’s a calculated risk. Good luck!

1. Angela
      Angela April 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

According to Victoza’s own website it does increase insulin output. Are you saying you know better than the drug maker? Please look up your facts. Where your personal experience is appreciated, giving the wrong information could be detrimental to someone else.

15. Earl
    Earl January 21, 2012 at 9:35 am | | Reply

I’ve been diabeic 2 for about 18 years and can’t take the metformin because of side effects (diarrhea) and have been taking 20 mg of glipizide along with advanta which was taken off the market while back. Doctor started me on Victoza 9 days ago. I’ve had nausea seems to be the most of my side affects. I started and .6 mg and was to go to the 1.2 a week later which I’m on now with side effects just as bad and blood sugar levels don’t seem to be coming down much at all. The Glipizide I was having problems of blood sugar going from high to real low and hard to control. I stay sick at my stomach all the time and wonder just how long before I get to where I’ll felling normal again and still haven’t reached the dose of 1.8. Also scares me with the warning listed. May have to increase the dosage slower from all the posts I’ve read here. Thanks.

1. Barb
      Barb March 4, 2012 at 10:09 pm | | Reply

Hi, Earl. I am researching Victoza because after several years, my other meds aren’t controlling the BG so well. I DO NOT exercise, which is the big problem. However, enuf about me. I think you should have stuck with the Metformin. I have been at the max dosage for several years now. However, it probably took about six months for the diarrhea to go away. Now I never get it unless I’ve been out to Chinese food! Just try some Pepto tablets. I used to never leave home without something like that in my arsenal. I admit to being a bad patient, but lo carb and exercise seem to help so much.

16. Laura
    Laura January 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victoza about 9 months ago. So very tired all the time :( . I decided I didn’t want to take it anymore. When I saw my endocrinologist in Dec, I told her I was NOT going to take this anymore. I had decided actually start eating healthy so that was my New Year’s resolution. I found a book, Diabetes Without Drugs, and I think you all should read it. I have started a lot of the ideas that the author talks about…my BS has gone from around 280 to 130…WITHOUT the Victoza. I have also lost 11 pounds. I can honestly say I have not been “hungry”. I cannot deny I don’t have cravings, and probably always will. I know it has not even been a month, but with the numbers like this, it is really inspiring. Even with the Victoza my numbers were NOT that low. And, with the Victoza all I ever lost was about 5 pounds. I see real promise in what this book talks about. Just read it and make your own decisions. Good luck!

17. Laura
    Laura January 22, 2012 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

Oh…and I forgot to add, I’m not tired anymore!!! :)

18. Earl
    Earl January 24, 2012 at 2:22 am | | Reply

I’ve been taking Victoza now for about 13 days doseage is at 1.2 and side effects are really bad. Nausea, feel tired. gas, I think my body is telling me this stuff isn’t for me. My blood suggar level doesn’t seem to be coming down any. I’m sure I’ve lost weight as so sick don’t want any thing to eat. This morning woke up at 3 A.M. sick on stomach, two days ago started taking”aciphex 20mg” that doctor had prescribed for wife while back and that helped with the indigestion where you thought maybe you were going to live. I have a very sensitive stomach and wonder if I’ll be able to take this medication at all. I know two people that are on Victoza and they really like it as helps lower and control blood suggar level in them. I’ve never tried taking any medicine that the side effects are as bad as this. I wonder if any one else out there has had side effects like this and was able to take it and if it helped them? Thanks PS I’ve had diabetes 2 for about 18 years.

19. PAT ALMAS
    PAT ALMAS January 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

(EARL, LAURA & OTHERS) About Victoza-couldn’t take the headachs(never left),sick stomach,tired-not sleeping. I was feeling afraid that I was going to have a heart attack-so cut 0.6 doze in half x 3 days & stopped Sun Jan 22. I’m feeling better & got some sleep last nite for first time in months. Headach almost gone (mind seems clearer) & doing more then the last few months. Yes it helped in lowering the sugar but couldn’t get off the couch-if this drug helps you good but this isn’t my cup of tea, problems started slowly increasing the last month. Will start again x 7 days for the Dr but if problems repeat-bye Victoza.

20. Lanny
    Lanny January 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm | | Reply

Earl, your symptoms sound a lot like the ones I experienced with Byetta. Ultimately, I ended up with gastroparesis soon after. I just don’t trust the newer diabetes drugs, compared to Metformin, insulin pens, etc.

21. Angie
    Angie January 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm | | Reply

Having nausea and vomiting, 2nd time around – I took V for 6 months with minor nausea, quit for 4 months, back on for last 2 months- horrible nausea! Vomiting almost daily, tried doing only .4 dose and increase and doesn’t help. My original run I was at 1.6… Any ideas why I have nausea this time? I am on as low of a dose as I can do (.4) and still have nausea. Any thoughts or ideas?

22. Earl
    Earl January 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm | | Reply

I’ve had about all the symptoms listed except the vomiting haven’t done that yet but if I had any thing in my stomach probably would have done that also. Doctor told me to start at .6 go for a week and up the dose .6 each week but haven’t been able to get to but almost 1.2 in almost two weeks and the nausea gets worse the higher dose I go. The sad part is I’m not eating almost any thing and blood sugar level doesn’t seem to be coming down at all, and if I were eating that little and not taking the victoza I doubt it would be any or not much higher. I plan to call my Doctor tomorrow and if i can see him, show him what it’s been running since I started taking V and see if he still wants me to take it. I think it’s going to cause more problems that it solves. I have a very sensitive stomach any way and this stuff really gives me problems. If it were not for the antacid tablet I’m taking each day I wouldn’t be able to cope with the side effects at all. (asiphex 20 mg) I hope he tells me to stop and we’ll try some thing else. Good luck to all. These people that are taking it with no problems I envy them they must have a stomach made out of cast iron.

23. Laura
    Laura February 2, 2012 at 7:30 am | | Reply

I also had bad heartburn, nausea. However, since I have gotten off victoza (about a month now) and follow the suggestions in the book, Diabetes without Drugs, I have not had even ONE night where I need to have Alka-Seltzer. That was a nightly routine…and even WITH the AS I would sometime still have heartburn. Feel much better and have more energy. My sugars have DRAMATICALLY decreased…my morning has gone from about 280 to 130-140. I have NOT been exercising though (foot injury, waiting to heal) but I expect the numbers to get even better once I add in a little walking. I do not want to take all this medicine…I have gone off victoza, high blood pressure med, and cholesterol med. Get the book…read it, and try it.

24. Earl
    Earl February 2, 2012 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

Just a follow up on the post a week or so ago from me. Went to see my doctor but had reduced the dosage of V to .6 two days before seeing him and the symptoms seemed to almost go away and doctor suggested I only take what I can with out the side effects and slowly increase the dosage very slowly and I’ve been doing that and it seems to be working for me better and BG level is lower for me than when I was taking the higher dosage of little over 1.2. I go back to the doctor the 13th of Feb and we’ll see what his plan is then. Good luck. Dosage now is two clicks above .6 which is about .7mg

25. Lori
    Lori February 7, 2012 at 11:23 am | | Reply

My Dr just gave me two months of this Victora to try, now after reading all this I am leary. I am predisposed to Diabetes and
    keep gaining weight, ten pounds a year in the belly and Doc
    say I am insulin resistant, hence reason for belly fat only.

Suggestions anyone?

1. Daphne
      Daphne February 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

Lori,
      I had the same problem. I have type 2 diabetes, was misdiagnosed many years. I started the omnipod insulin pump in October and gained over 25lbs due to the amounts of insulin I needed (100 units per day) because I am insulin resistent. I started the Vicotoza injections on January 18th. My BG is 100% in range (80-120), I have reduced my insulin from 100 units/day to 30-35 units per day! I weighed in today…after 21 days on Victoza I have lost 7 lbs. My BG are beautiful and I have never been able to control with under 100 units and now doing so at 35 unitis. So far I have not had any negative side effects other than a little heartburn at bedtime that is resolved with a couple of tums. I can only pray that this continues to work. My appetite is gone, I do not have massive cravings and I dont feel like im hungry and starving anymore. I feel better than I have in years. I would try it. The way I looked at it and decided was that I was aware of the symptoms and just kept a sharp eye with how I was feeling and if I get any of them I will immediately see medical treatement., Daphne

26. DEE
    DEE February 8, 2012 at 11:24 am | | Reply

I JUST STARTED VICTOZA, WILL BE 1 WEEK THIS FRIDAY 2/10/12. I HAD ALL KINDS OF TESTS BY ENDO, THEY SAID I HAVE INSULIN RESISTANCE. HAD BEEN GAINING WEIGHT VERY RAPIDLY (DESPITE COMMITMENT TO EXERCISE/RESTRICTED CARB DIET) FOR A YEAR…TOOK METFORMIN 2000MG FOR 3 MONTHS. WEIGHT STAYED SAME (STOPPED GAINING) NOW ON VICTOZA, .6mg working up to full dose 1.8 mg. ONly first day I had very mild naseau/slight headache. but it’s day# 5, and no side effects at all. i am excited about this. so far so good.

27. Sharon
    Sharon February 10, 2012 at 6:11 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for a couple of months now (and insulin). The insulin by itself did not work. Victoza has been like a wonder drug and I don’t want to stop it. However, Victoza causes thyroid nodules. I noticed a lump in my neck and sure enough by ultrasound I have two nodules in my thyroid. I now have to have a thyroid biopsy. Thyroid cancer does not run in my family, but my mother and 2 of my cousins had breast cancer. I also have other family members with other types of cancer. So I think I may have to give up my wonder drug.

28. Kim
    Kim February 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about a month and a half. (Type II DM). I have lost over 20 lbs (yay!) and, other than the nausea (yuck) it has not been too bad. I am now up to 1.2mg. I still take Metformin 1000mg with it, so I am not sure which is causing the nause (the Metformin did also.). I am just happy that I am losing weight! I have worked so hard with the right diet and exercise, and all I kept doing was gaining weight. It was terrible. So to see 20lbs gone is really a step in the right direction! My blood sugar is also coming down.

29. Isabel
    Isabel February 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm | | Reply

I am 42 yrs old and started taking Victoza on Last Friday. Today is Monday and I am hurting in my stomache but i am burping as if i ate a million boil eggs. I feel very upset in my stomache. i had to come home early from work today. I called my DR and he told me to hand in and it will pass. Has anyone experience this?

1. Donna Lurtz
      Donna Lurtz April 18, 2012 at 2:49 am | | Reply

how are you doing on the V

30. Earl
    Earl February 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

To reply to Esabel’s post
    I’ve been taking the Victoza for about a month now but I’ve had terrible nausea, gas,and stomach hurting and I went back to the doctor today and he wants me quit taking it for a week and then start at very low dose one click on the pen then increase it by very small amounts that is if I’m having no adverse effects from it to see what dosage I can take with out all these side effects. I was trying to increase my doseage too fast and had to back down to .6mg and that was still not enough but I already had so much of it inside my system that the lower dose wasn’t doing much good. What dosage are you taking? Back the dosage back down. One more thing Aciphex 20mg helps me with upset stomach, he has me on two a day, I have acid reflux also and a very sensitive stomach. Hope this helps

31. brycie
    brycie February 15, 2012 at 11:24 am | | Reply

Been on V for a year this month haven’t had any real weight loss since first couple of months – but my numbers are all great on it and Doc is happy. the side effects you are all talking about will fade away but the best way to prevent them is to only increase your dose by a “click” at a time – wait a few days if no upset stomach etc then go another click until you get where your Doc wants you. My Doc taught the upset stomach would aid in wgt loss – but I couldn’t take it or the rotton egg burping. so we came up with this 1 click at a time route and it worked well. Just wish the weight would come off. exercise and decreased calories don’t seem to budge it. UGGHHHHH

1. Barb
      Barb March 4, 2012 at 10:19 pm | | Reply

Hi, Brycie. sounds lie you’re tolerating the drug quite well so far. Good for you. What sort of exercise do you do? Have you been watching carbs as well as calories?

32. Nancy J
    Nancy J February 21, 2012 at 6:26 am | | Reply

Karen, not sure where you heard that you can’t eat fat or have dairy on Victoza. I certainly did, and never had any problems at all. It’s not uncommon to have some stomach/digestive issues with it, but I know my doc would have told me if there was a restriction like no dairy/fat. It’s the carbs that make blood sugars out of line, and that cause some of the weight gain (too much fat, also, but your body just likes them)! Just be moderate with fats, as you should be anyway. Did your doc say no fats/diary due to digestive issues? That is a possibility, but not the drug per se.

33. DEE
    DEE February 22, 2012 at 5:28 am | | Reply

week# 3 on Victoza…..since beginning initial dose .6mg I am now up to full dose @ 1.8mg every day. I have lost 6lbs since 2/3/12 (first date of initial dose) but I still have to be very carb conscious. Currently keeping under 50g total carbs per day. My carb intake consists of low GI berries in morning w/breakfast and fresh greens every day. I do not eat sugar, but sometimes I do eat processed meats which have a little higher carb content. It seems as if I avoid sugar itself and foods containing sugar, and if I keep my carb intake from veges and some low GI fruit, and keep my total carb under 50g, I continue to lose weight. If I go over 50g or have any kind of sugar on a given day, it seems the next day I gain weight (1b) INSTANTLY. So keeping my diet controlled/restricted to less than 50g total carbs is working. I look forward to reporting my progress. I have no side effects other than a great decrease in appetite at this no nausea, no diarrea, no constipation. All is good thus far. I will post in another week or so w/update. Thanks.

1. Barb
      Barb March 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm | | Reply

It all sounds great, Dee. How about the actual injections? The need looks teeny, but is it painful? What’s your favorite injection site?

34. DEE
    DEE February 22, 2012 at 5:29 am | | Reply

Oh and I also want to mention that I continue to exercise/work out 5 days per week – 45 mins to 1 hr, w/mix of cardio/strength training……so I am sure this helps w/weight loss :-)

35. QRdecode
    QRdecode February 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

I recommend ‘IT’ another epic read and very good. And it helps to have read ‘IT’ although not essential by any means if you plan to check this post because there’s a lovely tie in.
    ——————————-
    heart association

36. LARRY
    LARRY February 29, 2012 at 8:01 am | | Reply

BEEN ON ;V; FOR 3 MONTHS LOST 32 LBS SO FAR BUT AFTER I EAT A MEAL OR SNACK ,I MUST GO TO THE BATH ROOM BAD IS THIS NORMAL IT HAS CUVED MY EATING HAPPITS TO.

37. CDukeXik
    CDukeXik February 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm | | Reply

Hello x Like others new to the forum I’ve been a ‘Lurker’ for a long time and thought it about time I started to subscribe in with business…I particulary enjoy the soaps and reality TV stuff…..furthermore will comment on several theme that takes my interest….Looking forward to

heart association

38. Renea
    Renea February 29, 2012 at 8:55 pm | | Reply

I started on V at .6. Was doing really well on numbers and even losing wrigt. I noticed itching around injection site. After 3 weeks was upped to 1.2, itching increased in size around sight. After a month I now get hives in various places on my body. I really don’t want to stop taking it because my numbers have been so good and I love how it works for me. I have more energy, better food control, no other side effects. Has anyone else had hive issues?? Also my vitamin D was seriously low so PCP said I could do indoor tanning once a week in addition to my VitD supplement. The hives started around the same time as the indoor tanning so I am trying to find out if the hive reaction is directly related to UV exposure and cannot find anything.

39. Earl
    Earl March 7, 2012 at 7:21 am | | Reply

I’ve been taking the Victoza since mid January and have had nothing but real bad nausea, gas, constapition, a generally feeling bad. Sunday 3/4/12 sick all day and I made up my mind wasn’t going to take any more of it as the longer I take it no matter what dose get bad side effects from it. Wish I could have taken it as so many people have good results from it but not me.

40. RODNEY OWNBY
    RODNEY OWNBY March 8, 2012 at 4:33 am | | Reply

Have been on Victoza for 3 weeks now and have lost weight and it has knocked my BG down but I can’t afford it. Cost for 3 pens is $520.00. Still fighting with the ins. co.

1. Earl
      Earl March 9, 2012 at 7:34 am | | Reply

Rodney
      I was on Victoza but couldn’t take it as side effects just got too bad. I was paying $25 co-pay for three pins lady at CVS said price with out the insurance would have been $200.

41. Carol WE
    Carol WE March 19, 2012 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

I am on Medicare with the AARP endorsed supplement under United Healthcare. First it refused to let me have Victoza, then I appealed and so now it charges me $251.00 per month. I was told the insurance company is paying about the same also. I cannot afford that kind of money for one medicine when I also take multiple other medicines. I had to stop taking it. The medical insurance people and also the drug companies are all crooks as far as I can see.

42. Roger Little
    Roger Little March 25, 2012 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

2 weeks on Vixtoza- lost 4 lbs first 3 days and am down 9 in 2 weeks so that is awesome. First 5 days I was very tired and sleepy but that dimished- I was on .6 during the first 5 days then 1.2 since. Insurance with BC/BS was $145 for 3 pens but they didn’t give me any needles. CVS just told me I need to have a prescription for the needles too, separately and that will be another $52. I will have Dr call that in tomorrow but am considering just reusing the needles.

BC/BS sent me a letter that this is a high tier type of med and they gave to me at a lower tier cost initially but my next cost will go up. However, so far the benefit seems well worth it. My sugar was 250 now down to 132 in just under 2 weeks, and it went down very fast. I feel like I might get off any time and would hope in 2 weeks I busted alot of carb cravings but the one comment I saw on here that it takes 3 months to break cravings has me rethinking that. I guess, if I can tolerate it 3 months and lose say another 20 lbs, I could probably drop a couple of other diabetes pills and no doubt some blood pressure meds too. I was getting extremely faint when standing and actually passed out once about the 7th night on it. I decided to drop one of my BP meds and that made a terrific difference in the faintness and also in feeling so tired. I believe my BP was going too low. It was running 115/72 or so already fairly low but atenolol, accupril, amlodopine, and hyzaar were taken daily. The last med they put me on was amlodopine so that is what I stopped a few nights ago and feel so much better. Not endorsing anyone else do this but I felt it dangerous to pass out, I hurt my leg falling the time I did.

Am having some heartburn but for me it is something I typically have a bit of every day or so but this is persistent and I am considering taking omeprozol for the heartburn and am hoping not a sign of pancreatitis at this point.

Good luck to all!

43. Pam
    Pam March 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm | | Reply

Reading about the Byetta and Victoza issues with pancreatic cancer and the lawsuits now in progress. Anyone out there having issues? Been on Victoza for a few months now and am really worried about this as I have a family history of pancreatic cancer. When I told my endo this she said not to worry…easy for her to say…

44. Carol WE
    Carol WE March 29, 2012 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

This is for Roger Little -Don’t reuse your needles more than once each needle. You could end up with infections and worse. Also the shot will hurt more with used needles because each use messes up the point. I know this is all true as an RN for 35 years and an attorney now.

45. Bunnyfreak
    Bunnyfreak March 30, 2012 at 8:50 am | | Reply

I felt miserable on Victoza and after my gastro couldn’t find any Chrones related reasons for my problems I finally had enough and asked my Dr to take me off. I feel so much better digestively. Unfortunately my sugar is gone back up and we figure out what else will work. At least, not as bad as it was before the Victoza.

46. jeanne ceccoli
    jeanne ceccoli April 3, 2012 at 6:43 am | | Reply

i’ve been on victoza 3 days now. so far BG down by 20. i feel a little nauseous sometimes, but its not that bad. one thing i have noticed, i’m very sleepy. hopefully, this medication will help.

47. jeanne ceccoli
    jeanne ceccoli April 5, 2012 at 5:14 am | | Reply

just wondering if anyone else feels a burning sensation when injecting the v.i’m on day 6 and it hasn’t happened everytime just a couple times. and also, getting very sleepy a little while after taking it.

48. gail banker
    gail banker April 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

Victoza made my mother deathly ill, crazy confusion, vommitting, nausea, caused her 2 trips to ER, doctors recommened i admit her to a mental institution, until finally i insisted that the was taken off the medicaction, she is doing GREAT NOW

49. Gina
    Gina April 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

Hi Everyone, Been on V for 14 months. A1C started at 7.8 after 3 months 6.5 then in 6 months 5.7. Now it is 6.1 As with any meds they all have side effects. So, be aware and stop if you feel anything wrong. Medformin didn’t work for me and had metal tasting in my mouth. Never had a problem with V. But, never lost weight either.

I have read many posts from the beginning and there have been alot of good advice. As this is a new drug, the Doctors really don’t know all that they should from the Scientist that produced it. so, What I have learned is
    1. V produces the same insulin as your pancrease does. so, it helps out what your pancrease doesn’t do. take the lowest dosage of V for a week or so and always check your BS. If it lowering and at a good range 80 – 100 then don’t increase it. that means the meds are working for you and no reason to increase your risk with it.
    2. V last for 16 hours, so don’t take it at night if during the day is when you eat and need it.
    3. lowers your B12 greatly, as with other Diabetic drugs.
    when testing your A1C test B12. it needs to be 600+. Mine was 258, had dizzy spells, tireness, brain fog etc. with B12 800 – 1000. I buy Trivita (online) B12 Sublingual 3000mcg under the tongue. good tasting. if I stop 1 month before test to see what happens it goes down to 300. so, I always need it.
    4. Place your V into the frig. and take out only the pen you will be using. it last for 30 days outside frig.at room temp. The pen at max dosage 1.8ml will only take 10 – 11 days to use. I dont’ think the lowest dosage gets close to 30 days.
    5. When injecting, inject in stomach below belly button.
    push a 3 clicks at a time to inject slowly. this will help you not get brusies.
    6. always use a new needle.
    7. If you eat high fat, your stomach will get upset.
    I watch what I eat and exercise. I do on occasion have 1/2 cup ice cream or 2 cookies very small amounts and my A1C have always been good. the Sweet has to be really good otherwise not worth having. I do eat a lot of veggies, friut and grilled chicken.
    8. Yes, sometimes you will feel burning,but not always.
    Inject fast and hard and you won’t feel the needle go in at all.
    9. Yes, Doctors are trying V on type 1 diabetes. and it is working for those people.
    10. Yes, Doctors are giving V to patients to lose weight.
    has worked for many people I know. but of not me at all!

I take 1.8ml because I didn’t know I should take a lower dosage to see if it work there. I haven’t exercised for about 6 months due to back problems and just had back surgery,(arthitis on my L5 hitting my S1 nerve) best thing I did no pain after surgery. Can start to exercise in about 2 weeks, can’t wait. Then I will lower my V a little at a time to see if I can lower my dosage and it will still work.
    Good luck and be wise.

1. Angela
      Angela April 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

For Gina,

This is a really good post, however, Victoza doesn’t “only last 16 hours” as your post states. It has a half life of 11 to 15 hours which means that after 11 to 15 hours, only half of the drug is left in your system. 11 to 15 hours from then, only half of the half is left.

Thank you for pointing out that it depletes B12. I did not know this and am supplementing with B12 now. Also, thank you for pointing out to others that if they eat a high fat diet they will have indigestion problems. It seems people here have not been using common sense. If it causes your stomach to empty more slowly, stop eating so much! Thanks again for your post.

50. Donna Lurtz
    Donna Lurtz April 18, 2012 at 2:43 am | | Reply

so glad I found this site