1,266 Responses

1. PC
    PC October 21, 2011 at 7:04 am | | Reply

I am so glad I found this site. I have only been on Victoza for 5 days. Started at 0.6 dose (take it in the morning) for 3 days and increased to 1.2 (for another 3 days) then supposed to increase to 1.8.
    On 0.6 I felt great. Minimal nausea and no appitite at all. Forcing myself to eat small portions several times a day. BG has been under 100 with every finger stick. Have decreased my lantus by 5IU and suspect will need to go lower.
    About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis but in time, was able to stop the meds and frankly, had completely forgotten about that Dx – until yesterday. I had a very small piece of grilled chicken for lunch yesterday and have not been able to stop the burning indigestion, horrible belching and foul smell with each belch. I realized last night, food was literally rotting in my GI system – YUK!
    I called MD this morning to see about dropping the dose back to 0.6 – to see if it helps.
    I see I am not alone withthe GI issues. Has anyone dropped their dose of Victoza and has it helped?

1. Anne
      Anne December 11, 2011 at 10:15 am | | Reply

I was told by another Type 1 that her endo is prescribing Victoza for people wtih Type 1 diabetes and is having success! Is there any information on the use of this drug in Type 1 diabetes?

2. Judith
    Judith October 21, 2011 at 8:21 am | | Reply

Hi PC:

When I started Victoza at .06, my daily readings when to around 90. And I was dizzy. And I was nauseated. I was supposed to increase every 2 weeks. That’s what my dr. said. But through the years, I have found that most times, I know my body better than doctors do. So I did NOT increase my Victoza. A few months later, I went to the dr. and got all of the test results after being on .06 for a few months. She said my numbers were great. I mentioned that I was only taking .06. She was amazed and said, “Well, let’s stay with that!” In my humble opinion, doctors prescribe what the drug companies’ studies tell them to prescribe especially with newer drugs. Listen to your body and your readings. You know YOU best. Now I have been on Victoza .06 for about a year. My numbers are still great, no nausea, doctor is happy.

3. Katie
    Katie October 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm | | Reply

I stated Victoza three months ago. I had been on Metformin for two years and it did not help at all. My fasting blood sugar in the mornings was always 180 to 210. From there doing the day it just got worse. It did not seem to matter what I ate it was just always high. The first week or two on the Victoza I had stomach problems and nausea but that all cleared up and I have no side effects other than I seem to fill up faster at meals. Three months after I started, I have lost 26 lbs, my fasting blood sugar in the morning is 80-105 and what I eat now actually makes a difference. I detest taking drugs and avoid them as mush as possible. This stuff will most likely make me grow purple horns and froth at the mouth. But bottom line is it works. I LIKE THIS DRUG. Which makes it a sure thing I will most likely be sporting purple horns come this time next year.

1. Valerie
      Valerie January 4, 2012 at 7:30 am | | Reply

I started taking Victoza in February of 2011, taking .06 for the first two weeks and then increasing to 1.2. I, too, experienced some nausea, indigestion and headaches, but I was determined to stick with it and over the next couple of months, the symptoms subsided. Now, (January 2011), I’ve lost 42 pounds, and stopped the emotional binge eating I used to engage in. My fasting blood sugar, In the morning), is consistently between 80 – 89, and my A1C level has gone from 9.7 to 5,6. I was taken completely off the Lantus and my dosage of metformin has been decreased from 1000mg twice a day to 500mg twice a day.

I make better food choices and eat much less by “grazing” during the course of the day… I really don’t eat structured meals any more, I eat only when I feel hungry and only small portions at a time. The only real “side effect” I have experienced is a loss of appetite, I really have to make myself eat! I have to say, I have had a VERY positive experience with Victoza and plan to continue my weight loss this year by losing another 30 pounds this year.

4. Becky
    Becky October 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm | | Reply

Oh my…I knew there would be nausea – did my research on the net! But I never expected to feel like I suddenly have a horrible flu! The nausea! The headaches! I feel weak and cold and feverish! At least reading this board has convinced me that it’s not just my imagination…I have felt horrible all day…took my second shot this morning…yesterday wasn’t quite as bad but today I got almost every side effect! I’m hoping these lessen…I can’t live like this…even for the hoped for weight-loss.

1. jennifer
      jennifer November 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm | | Reply

I BEGAN TAKING MY DOSES IN THE LATE AFTERNOON, SO THAT I WOULDN’T FEEL MY WORSE DURING THE DAY. THIS WAS MY HUSBANDS SUGGESTION. IT WORKED. I SWITCHED MY SCHEDULE THE DAY I UPPED MY DOSE. I WAS REALLY WORRIED ABOUT FEELING WORSE, CAUSE I HAD BEEN MISERABLE THE FIRST WEEK–BUT WAS REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THE WEIGHT LOSS. :) SOMEHOW, SWITHING WHEN I TOOK IT REALLY HELPED. IF I TAKE IT AROUND 6P I USUALLY AN AVOID MOST OF THE SYMPTOMS.

5. Pam
    Pam October 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm | | Reply

Hi Judith,
    Thanks for the info. I’m still not very hungry and eating so much less than before Victoza, but weight still here. Frustrating I must say. I will try the Fiber Choice. Also reading how I shouldn’t be keeping the pen in the fridg so I guess I need to change that too. I am on this due to the side effect of weight loss, no diabetes so that is adding to the frustration. Hopefully something will kick in and I can be on the minus side soon.

6. Pam
    Pam October 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm | | Reply

Becky,
    I had the same reaction. Couldn’t go to work the first day as I was so sick. After reading this site, I cut down to the lowest dose and increased by a click once the side effects lessened. I’m up to 1.2 now and really don’t have any nausea issues. It has taken almost 2 months to get there, but it is better than the nausea. Unfortunately, I’m still waiting for the weight loss. Read the posts about extra fiber…huge issue for me. Very bad at first, the fiber helps some but still very bloated and difficulty with constipation. Good luck!

1. Beth
      Beth January 4, 2012 at 5:53 am | | Reply

I keep mine in the fridge. Why aren’t you supposed to?

7. Becky
    Becky October 26, 2011 at 5:17 am | | Reply

Hi Pam,

I am going to try different things before I give up on it altogether. First, I’m going to take it in the evening after a big meal..still lowest dose…and I’m going to stock up on ginger ale and ginger snaps…the ginger ale helped the nausea yesterday. I’m still a little dizzy-headed this morning…but it looks like most of the effects have worn off…going to pick up fiber too as I think that might be an issue for me as well. Thanks for the good luck wishes! I think I’m going to need them!

1. Marj
      Marj December 19, 2011 at 1:19 pm | | Reply

Ginger Altoids work great and not all the sugar of ginger ale and ginger snaps! This time of year can find at stores, else have to order online.

8. Judith
    Judith October 26, 2011 at 9:19 am | | Reply

RE: Cold vs. room temp Victoza

Just spoke with my pharmacist about keeping Victoza in the fridge or not. She said that if it is unopened for the first time, to store it in the refrigerator. Once it has been opened, it can be stored at room temp for up to a month. However, you may also keep storing it in the refrigerator. Storing in the refrigerator will make it last longer than 1 month. Cold vs. room temp makes no difference on effectiveness. It’s just that some people don’t “like” to inject something cold into themselves. Hmmmm, never felt it as cold going in. The option to keep it out makes it nice for traveling, however. I do know that if you are going to Vegas, for instance, and are checking in at a hotel and tell them you have diabetes and need to refrigerate your medication, you get a free refrigerator in your room which might not otherwise have one! YEEHA! A benefit to having diabetes!!! :) ))

9. holly nelson
    holly nelson October 26, 2011 at 9:32 am | | Reply

Becky,

Hey my name is Holly and I have been on Victoza since December 30 of 2010. I can’t believe I have been on this website almost a year.. Everyone on here is very helpful and you get alot of info. When I first started Victoza I was REALLY sick for about 4 or 5 months but I stuck it out and kept going.. I started out at a 12/14 and now I am down to a 4/6 and my bloodsugar never goes over 107. If you can hang in there it will be worth it.. also the weight loss is not instant. It took several months before I started to notice a difference. Good luck to all of you just beginning this journey !! If you have any questions just ask!!

1. Ben
      Ben November 4, 2011 at 12:39 am | | Reply

I’ve been on victoza for about 6 months. I also wear the Omnipod insulin pump. Victoza has been amazing dropping all my numbers and my a1c from 12 to 6! But, for the past month it seems my body has gotten tolerant to the med and things are going up. My sugars are higher, I’ve had to increase my basal rate and it seems like I’m more hungry and eat more. Any thoughts?

10. MikeC
    MikeC October 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | | Reply

Update. (Type 1 – 26 years, Starting Weight = 290; a1c = 8.5)

It has been 8 weeks now on Victoza. I started at 0.6 and added 1 click every 2 days or so and have been at 1.8 every day for about 1-2 weeks. My blood sugars have “normalized” and my appetite is a lot smaller. My pump basals have been lowered almost 50% across the board. The nausea and heartburn have subsided (except for when I over eat). Most importantly, I can exercise without extreme pain & fatigue now. Even with diminishing returns on the weight loss, it seems to have been a really good kickstart to getting myself healthier. (Current a1c is 6.9; current weight is 265; still T1:) )

11. Sarah
    Sarah October 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm | | Reply

I’ve been off of Victoza for 3-4 months now. A year and a half ago when I started Victoza, I had the horrible side effects but I was steadily losing weight without even trying. I even ate a lot of ice cream which seemed to sooth my stomach. My Endo was thrilled with my sugars and the slow steady weight loss. A few months went by and I still didn’t feel well. Then out of nowhere I got colitis and was hospitalized. I was going downhill quickly and my white blood cell count was high. I had to stop the Victoza for a few months. It turns out the colitis was from too much Advil, so not at all related to the Victoza. When I started it up again I did my injections at night and that helped a lot with nausea. The main problem I was experiencing was I felt so darn sleepy! It never went away. I didn’t even have energy to clean my home. It was filthy and I felt depressed. Also I was doing my job of 8 years poorly because I was so exhausted all of the time. I started getting into trouble for not meeting deadlines and I couldn’t seem to turn it around. I felt even more depressed and then fearful of losing my job! Finally after several months of this I had severe pain below my chest radiating all the way through to my back. I knew something was seriously wrong. I read on this site a person got Pancreatitis and wished she had gone off of Victoza earlier. I stopped it once and for all. Now I feel energetic, happy and healthy. My Endo isn’t happy with my numbers, but I got my life back so I don’t care what she thinks. Now I can actually clean my home and do my job! I feel great and I thank this site. I couldn’t see how bad things were because I was just too darn tired and sick! Turns out I don’t have Pancreatitis. I had my gallbladder checked as well and its fine. It was thought to have been acid reflux so instead of 1 Prilosec per day I had to take 2. Now I’m back down to 1. I eat better now that I have energy to cook! I’ve had a little history with digestive problems (Peritonitis at age 9) so I’m not saying Victoza is 100% at fault. In my particular case though, the negatives outweighed the positives. Good luck to you all!

12. Becky
    Becky October 27, 2011 at 5:44 am | | Reply

On my third day of Victoza and I realized a couple of things. One, I took a dose at the doc’s on Monday around 3;30 and then took another dose the next morning on an empty stomach. After that, I got very ill and thought I’d be that way the whole time. So I waited until AFTER dinner last night and took the lowest dose and this morning I’m just a little dizzy but no nausea or headache…I’m just hoping that when I move to the next dosage step that I don’t have a relapse of Monday…

13. MikeC
    MikeC October 27, 2011 at 10:38 am | | Reply

@Sarah, what Ive noticed a lot is the Victoza seems to exacerbate any ailments you might already have, specifically of the digestive type. During my ramp-up period my heartburn magnified itself exponentially. Since being on 1.8 for 2 weeks or so, it has subsided. (Never thought to double my Prilosec, ugh.)

@Becky, talk with your endo/primary about increasing by a click every couple days instead of going 0.6–>1.2–>1.8. It really helped me ramp up to the max dose over the course of 5-6 weeks. I also did not increase from any point until I had gone at least 2 days without problems. (I think I was on 0.6 for almost 2 weeks)

14. Becky
    Becky October 27, 2011 at 11:08 am | | Reply

@Mike, I think upping the dose slowly is the right thing to do…After my last “reaction” I think slow is the way to go! I feel fine today on the lowest dose…slight, very slight, dizziness, but nothing to bother about…no nausea…so I’m willing to keep going…if I could lose weight, get my numbers down, etc…it would be so much better for me!

15. Susan
    Susan October 31, 2011 at 11:32 am | | Reply

Question: My doctor gave me a sample pen of Victoza today but no needles. Can I use the same ones I use for my Lantus Solostar pen on the Victoza pen?

1. jennifer
      jennifer November 22, 2011 at 7:58 pm | | Reply

mY PERSCRIPTION COST ME 0$ AT THE PHARMACY FOR THE NEEDLES. I WAS SURPRISED, BUT THERE WAS NO CHARGE.

16. lynne h.
    lynne h. October 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm | | Reply

Did you hear the good news, people with Aetna Insurance? Victoza has finally been taken off the precertification list and also taken off the step therapy (where you are required to try something else first, like Byetta) list! It is now on the preferred list and you no longer have to jump through hoops to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone listened!!!

17. Lisa S
    Lisa S November 4, 2011 at 5:47 am | | Reply

Ben, I too have been on Victoza for about 6 months. I am noticing that I too am feeling more hungry and that my fasting a.m. accu-checks are slowly creeping upward. I don’t want to go back to where I came from. Does anyone have any ideas?

1. Ben
      Ben November 7, 2011 at 7:32 am | | Reply

Thanks Lisa for the reply. I don’t want to go back either. I asked a pharmacist if he knew of anything on tolerance to Victoza. He didn’t. Going to ask my Dr. today.

18. marcy bilyeu
    marcy bilyeu November 11, 2011 at 9:07 am | | Reply

I would say unless you are extremely obese 1.8 mg is way too high of a dose. I started out on the 3 dose step ending at 1.8 mg. I stopped by 50 units of insulin the next day after switching to Victoza and over 6 month, I lost 30 pounds. At the 1.8 mg dose I was throwing up and naused. I also have a gastric problem from ulcers so we had to decide if it was the medicine or my stomach. I stepped down to the .06 mg and take at night and my blood sugars did go up from 70 -80 to 110, I am fine. Take with you physician you might be getting too much. I still get naused and throw up but usually something I could not digest anyway. if I get naused for no “food” reason, I skip a dose for one night and it goes away and I am good to start over again. I am sorry for all the side effects you guys are suffering but talk to your doctor about lowering you dose. AND, every one should be going to an endocrinologist……no offense to family doctors but the endo’s are specialist in this type of treatment. Mine is great.

19. Ben
    Ben November 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

I am on the 1.8mg dose of victoza and have been so for 6 months. I worked great for the first 4 months. It now I feel like I’m not even taking it. My weight is up, my sugar is up and my hunger is up. Very disappointed!

20. PC
    PC November 17, 2011 at 8:27 am | | Reply

I have now been on Victoza since October 17. The sample pack my MD gave me lasted until Nov. 8. Only real side effects were nausea for the first few days and continuous horrible heartburn, accompanied by very foul smelling belching.
    I got my prescription filled and started the pharmacy supplied injections on 11/9. With each injection since 11/9, I have a quarter size red, raised, itchy reaction at the inj. site. Each reaction lasts about 4 to 5 days.
    I contacted my pharmacy as well as Novo Nordisk to see if they have ever seen this. I am told this is a common reaction in 0.02% of patients. I am wondering if I have a tainted batch from the pharmacy as, again, I had no reaction from the sample lot I received from the MD.
    Novo is looking into the batch # to see if they have had any other complaints. Batch # is 02/2013 YS64454.
    Anyone having had or currently having this type of localized reaction should call their MD first and then Novo Nordisk to report it. 800-727-6500.

1. jennifer
      jennifer November 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

NEVER A SINGLE ISSUE, BUT MINE HAVE ALL BEEN SAMPLES FROM THE DRS OFFICE.

2. Lorraine
      Lorraine December 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm | | Reply

I too get a raised itchy bump at my injection site I also thought that I had a bad batch and my dr gave me a sample pen and i still got the bump so days it there and then some days it’s not.

21. Janet
    Janet November 17, 2011 at 10:28 am | | Reply

I just started on Victoza lats Friday. I take it at night but I still have the nausea as if I am getting car sick…or pregnat. My appetite has not decreased…is that normal? Does it take a while before that happens. I am type II and about 55 lbs over weight and no matter how hard I try, the weight does not come off and sugar leves stay around 145- 160..only when they drop down to 100 is when I really get sick and woozy. I so badly want to have a healthy weight and not take any meds. Anyone else have any suggestions…I’m 53 and going through menopause…can this be any worse?? LOL

1. jennifer
      jennifer November 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm | | Reply

i HAD TRIED FOR 4 OR 5 YEARS TO DROP THE SAME 40 POUNDS AND PEAKED OUT AT 180 IN JANUARY. JUST TO POINT OUT I WAS 115 BEFORE MY FIRST KID 19 YEAR AGO. :) WITHIN TWO DAYS OF TAKING VICTOZA, THE WEIGHT POURED OFF. I STARTED IT IN MARCH AND BY THE END OF MAY TO JUNE, I HAD LOST 52 POUNDS. I SIMPLY COULD NOT EAT. AND I AM A WOMAN WHO LOVES MY FOOD. IT WAS A ROUGH COUPLE OF MONTHS…MY KIDS WERE PRAYING FOR ME TO NOT DIE ( I DID HAVE SOME HEALTH ISSUES BEFORE I STARTED THE VICTOZA SO THEY WERE JUST COMBINING THEM ALL). BUT I FEEL MUCH BETTER TODAY WITH THE DOSE OF 1.2 AND METFORMIN. I AM NOT LOSING WIEGHT ANYMORE BUT IT IS NOT COMING BACK EITHER.

22. Suzanne Glover
    Suzanne Glover November 17, 2011 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

I think it is a miracle drug. I titrated up to 1.8 with some gastric discomfort , but certainly doable. My problem is with the Metformin that goes along with the “recipe” of Victoza, Actos and Metformin. Had to switch to Glumetza, but still have to stay close the restroom. I do not think I can get to 2000 mg of Glumetza. I have lost 9 lbs in 6 weeks and my doctor is amazed at the results given I have been diabetic for 20+ years. I hope to get off insulin and the doctor thinks I could.

23. Marge
    Marge November 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm | | Reply

Suzanne how much insulin are you on now….my doc still has me taking insulin (R) when my levels spikes..

1. Suzanne Glover
      Suzanne Glover November 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | | Reply

I am down to 28 units of Lantus (from 54) and taking no R type (Apidra in my case) at meals. I am eating si little that it is OK so far. My doc says to shoot for sugars in the 160-180 2 hrs after dinner until I can get up to 2000 mg of Glumetza. That has been hard because mt body does not like Metformin much. I have gotten to that dose only just today wit few side effects. However, my sugars at night have been in the low 190′s, but around 100 in the AM. I am in transition

24. Pat s
    Pat s November 18, 2011 at 2:17 pm | | Reply

How long do those flu like symptoms last after last dose of Victoza. I have been on it 1month and have had flu symptoms x 6 days and no dose of Victoza x5 days. Finally feeling a little better,

1. Suzanne Glover
      Suzanne Glover November 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm | | Reply

I have been putting up with that for 6-8 weeks. I felt it was worth it to have the results I have had, but have felt much better the last two days. My doc said this is happening because of the dramatic results I have had with reducing insulin, having improved numbers and fast weight loss–12 lbs so far. I like eating so little especially since I often felt sick after eating a few bites. Someone earlier in the blog said Victoza exacerbates digestive issues. I agree. I have some esophagus issues that are worse and discourages eating for sure. In the final analysis, if Victoza helps me prolong my kidneys, I am using it. I have reduced function but still in the normal range.

2. Jason
      Jason January 4, 2012 at 5:50 am | | Reply

Pat, you just echoed my experience with Victoza. I know it’s working, but at what expense???

25. Carol We
    Carol We November 21, 2011 at 8:36 am | | Reply

I have been on V more than 5 months, and now I’m gaining weight and my numbers are not so great as before. I see others also are saying this. Anybody know WHAT’S GOING ON?? I really don’t want to stop because it stoppped the digestive problems I had for years. I feel good. So why did it stop reducing my numbers and why am I gaining weight back?

26. jennifer
    jennifer November 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza since March. I am a Type 1, Maturity onset diabetic. I believe that means I have always had it, but it only recenlty showed itself. I was somewhat overweight (180 pounds on a 5’6″ female frame). Since going on Victoza, I lost 52 pounds in about 4 months, and have gained none back. My fasting sugars are near 110 each day. The only complaint is that I am losing hair by the chunk. Alarming for a 38 year. old.

1. Suzanne Glover
      Suzanne Glover November 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm | | Reply

I went back and reread your post. I hope to lose a good 40 lbs, but want to kep my hair! Did you keep up your protein consumption during that weight loss? Hair loss is common with gastric bypass as well for the same reason. I have taken to eating a protein bar a day in hopes of keeping my hair. Menopause has already thinned mine! LOL! If this is the cause of your hair loss, it should come back. Good luck with that!

27. Beth
    Beth November 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

Can you take Victoza and Novolog together in the same day? I took Victoza, but it never really brought my blood sugar down any lower than 200. I had nausea, headaches, etc. at first, but that soon passed. It made me not hungry. I only weigh 118 so didn’t need to lose weight. I had been on glipizide pills, but they made me want to eat everything in sight, but did bring my bs down 100 pts. They put me on novalog and it did bring the bs down, but made me gain a pound a day and I want to lose 10 more lbs, not gain weight so I stopped it and went back to Victoza. But lately I’m craving sugar and my bs was just 440, so I didn’t take my Victoza today so I took 20 units of novalog. It will bring it down, but I’m not sure if you can mix the two. Does anyone know if you can?????? I like the Victoza the best though, but it doesn’t work by itself.

28. june camp
    june camp November 29, 2011 at 9:48 am | | Reply

i have been on byetta for two years, but stopped taking it because all of a sudden it was making me feel ill with headaches and vomiting, so my diabetes nurse has recommended VICTOSA my only concern with this is that on reading about VICTOSA it says it can cause THYROID CANCER and PANCREAS PROBLEMS I have thyroid disease for which i take medication would VICTOSA have any effects on this, as i feel concerned about it.

29. lynne
    lynne November 29, 2011 at 11:09 am | | Reply

Jane,
    If your Dr/Nurse knew this, I am surprised that you are taking Victoza, as the main warning is about thyroid.
    As a matter of fact, since I started it recently, I have to have
    blood tests done every three months to make sure there
    isn’t an affect on my thyroid, even thought I do not have
    any thyroid condition.

30. Suzanne Glover
    Suzanne Glover November 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm | | Reply

Sounds like you would not be an ideal candidate for V, but yo ur doc is watching this, right? The thyroid cancer thing is in lab rats so who knows how that works out in humans.

31. Tommy Conder
    Tommy Conder November 29, 2011 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

wow, this sucks. I was on victoza for 6 monts, sick every week or so for 24-48 hours, now I have pancreas disaster. The doctor kept telling me it wasn’t the Victoza and to keep taking it–I finally refused. Since then, I have malabsorption issues, losing weight, diarrhea and test after test to confirm it is ONLY pancreatitis or malabsorption. I guess the thyroid will be next..

32. Lanny
    Lanny December 2, 2011 at 3:22 am | | Reply

I was on Byetta for a year or so; although it worked for a while, it also apparently caused gastroparesis, for which Reglan is the temporary solution. I want to advise everyone to get on insulin as soon as it is feasible. I resisted insulin for the first 10 years of my diabetes, opting for oral meds, and my A1c’s were usually in the 7′s but sometimes in the 8′s and even 9′s. I started insulin injections this year; although injections are no fun, my A1c’s have dropped from 8.6 to 5.7 in six months! So please consider that you may be resisting insulin too much for your own good.

33. SG
    SG December 2, 2011 at 9:12 am | | Reply

I just started Victoza this week, and since the first day I have had leg cramps and other muscle cramps. But I have not had any nausea so far. Anyone else experience cramps? I do have Fibromyalgia, diabetic neuropathy, and arthritis – but these cramps are new.

I can’t find anything on the web that links Victoza & cramps.

I had been on Actos and Metformin for many years – until a change in Metformin formulation created too many problems. Tried Byetta for 2 months but couldn’t tolerate nausea, etc. (but did lose 20 lbs)

Let me know if anyone else experiences cramps.

34. Vicki
    Vicki December 7, 2011 at 7:26 am | | Reply

Hi … I had my first high bg in Feb 2011 @ 126 and then the next week @ 116 and A1c @ 6.4 and as of 1 month ago I was at bg 140 and A1c 7.0. They have done nothing but go up! My doc put me on Metformin in July and when the levels still went up he put me on a drug that has a combination of Metformin and something else (at work can’t think of what it is called) as of Nov 1 2011. I went to an Endo yesterday who wants to put me on Victoza, he thinks I may be having a reaction to the Metformin and can’t take it. (I’m the heaviest I’ve ever weighed in my life since this dignose, I keep gaining weight even with MAJOR diet changes along with a couple other things) This seems like a really big step as everyone here seems to have had much higher levels when starting this med than I currently have. Any thoughts or opinions?

35. Marina
    Marina December 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm | | Reply

Wondering if anyone has had gastric bypass RNY and now are taking victoza. If so how are you doing on it?

36. robyn
    robyn December 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm | | Reply

My endo put me on victoza 2 days ago. I don’t like it at all. Switching back to Lantus at night and Humalog during the day if needed. My last 2 A1C’s were 5.8, down from a high of 7.9. I’ve lost almost 40 pounds on my own and am now 10 pounds from my normal weight range. I want to thank everyone who has posted here. It really has helped me to decide that I do know my body best! He is a wonderful endo and I know he will support my decision.

The side effect I can’t live with is the “drunk feeling”. A coworker and friend said that if he didn’t know better, he would have said I was intoxicated.

37. Nancy
    Nancy December 12, 2011 at 2:35 am | | Reply

Mr endo started me on victoza 5days ago and I feel terrible. Nausea off and on during the day and I wake up at 3:30 a.m every morning with nausea. I take the victoza about 8:00 at night. My appetite is gone which is good because I need to lose 50 lbs. but the nausea is awful. I am supposed to increase dosage to 1.2 in two days and am dreading it as I am scared the nausea will get worse. And my sleep pattern is really messed up. Any suggestions?

1. Linda
      Linda December 19, 2011 at 6:43 am | | Reply

Nancy, don’t take the medicine if you are concerned about how you are feeling now. That may just mean you need to be on the lower dose for a while longer. I could not tolerate the 1.2 so I am at the .6 and I am supposed to stay there until my Doctor thinks I can tolerate the 1.2. Definitely communicate with your physician.

Also, anybody who has a concern about the thyroid cancer- it’s only been found in lab rats. There is no link to any human getting it from taking Victoza.

I may stick to the .6 altogether, as I am on the low end of diabetes. I think as with any medication, the lowest effective dose is the best.

38. Pat
    Pat December 12, 2011 at 9:09 am | | Reply

Have been on Victoza since last May, 2011. Started at 0.6 to 1.2-when does the indigestion, pain from heart burn slow down. Now decreasing to 0.6 as directed by DR., notice that I’m eatting crackers, white bread to absorb stomach acid, have gone through shelf of different over the counter ant acids. Last week, switched dose time from am to pm so I could do something (house work & back to walking). Also continue with pills & insulin.

39. Marina
    Marina December 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm | | Reply

Prescribed victoza this week. Have not started yet, but plan to this pm. All the stories of being sick scares me. Has anyone tried medical cannabis for the nausea?

40. Jude
    Jude December 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm | | Reply

Wow! Now if we could get a script for medical marijuana to offset nausea because we are on Victoza, that would be a win win! LOL I have been on Victoza for over a year and only had about a month of mild nausea. I also take Nexium each night for acid reflux which is maybe why I didn’t have the nausea as badly as others. But I have also gained weight while on Victoza. Go figure. I completely changed what I eat, too. Eat mostly vegan diet which seems to not upset my stomach as much as meat does now. Guess everyone is different.

41. Carol We
    Carol We December 15, 2011 at 1:42 pm | | Reply

I have been on V for nearly a year. At first I lost a couple of pounds, no nausea, and my numbers improved a lot. Now I have started gaining, but numbers still good. The worst thing is that when I turned 65 I went on Medicare with the AARP Supplement RX Plan and now the V costs $251.00 per month!! Does anyone know what Medicare Rx supplement plan to use for more reasonable co-pays?

1. Marina
      Marina December 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm | | Reply

Try CVS Value plan. I believe that the cut off date for changing was December 7th. However there may be exceptions.

42. Lisa S
    Lisa S December 16, 2011 at 10:10 am | | Reply

Hello all. I started Victoza in June. F/U with endo yesterday. My A1c is down to 5.8 I have never been that low with an A1c. It is down from 9. I have lost 20 pounds. Little disappointed that I have not lost more than that because I hardly eat. Have decreased my insulin and in my next f/u visit In March of 2012 endo going to decrease insulin more. YIPPIEE !!!!! Very happy at this point in time.

43. Judith Smiley
    Judith Smiley December 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victosa as a test subject, testing the once a week injection. It actually lasted about five days. it took me about three weeks to get used to it, but I was in heaven after that. It felt like I didn’t have diabetes at all! I had more energy, and I lost 14 pounds. I love this stuff. But I’m not covered, and it is very expensive. I’m trying a few different ways to get it. But it really made me feel wonderful.

44. Angela Goodson
    Angela Goodson December 18, 2011 at 9:36 am | | Reply

I was diagnosed as Type 2 in December 2009. Initially prescribed Mettformin and tried my best to stick with it over the course of almost eighteen months, but the gastro problems never went away and I got tired of having to stay close to the bathroom. We were moving a lot with hubby’s job so it was a pain to keep switching doctors. In August, the newest doc gave me Glipizide. In 6 weeks, I gained almost 20 pounds so I threw that crap in the trash. We moved the same month to WV and I am seeing a new doctor. Like Judith, I am a private pay patient now, but specifically requested Victoza. Doc gave me samples and last night was my fourth .06 injection.

After reading other’s comments, I think it was just divine intervention that I started my injections before bed. I’ve had very minimal nausea and no dizziness. I also have not noticed it exacerbating any of my other problems like acid reflux.

As you can imagine, since my sugar was uncontrolled for three months prior to starting Victoza, my numbers were pretty high: between 250 and 300 daily on average and sometimes even higher. In four days, they are generally between 175 and 215. Still not great, but they seem to go down a little more each day and since I’m not taking anything else, I’m game to see if it continues to go down further.

My concern, after reading the literature in the samples and others’ own experiences here, is the doc did not tell me to titrate up to a higher dose. Has anyone else encountered this?

I stepped on the scales this morning and I have lost four pounds in four days. I’m 36 and 5’3″ and after the weight I gained with the Glip I was at 240.5; so I’m celebrating four pounds!! My appetite is greatly reduced. I have had some serious sugar cravings a couple of times, but I just grab a piece or two of sugar free candy and it seems to help it. If the weight loss keeps up and the numbers keep going down I see no sense in asking the doc to up the dosage or in adding additional meds.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions here, they are very helpful and appreciated!

45. Beth
    Beth December 20, 2011 at 9:42 am | | Reply

I take Victoza in the am and Novolog in the pm and finally after three years have been able to bring my numbers down. I love the victoza and it makes me not eat, but the insulin makes me eat so they both balance one another. However, the Victoza doesn’t seem to lower your blood sugar without other meds pills, inulin, etc. Still, I love the Victoza. I swear it got rid of my migraine headaches and keeps my bp low. I only weigh 122, but at least it helps me stay at that weight. I’ve never been heavy. Only the first three weeks made me nauseous, but peppermint tea helped.

46. margie
    margie December 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm | | Reply

My Dr. just put me on Victoza this week. I haven’t started it yet because it sounds a little scary.He did say I will be a little sick for two or three weeks and to give it a chance. I am a hospice volunteer and really need to be with my patients. My bs isn’t out of controll……never over 150 but my weight is about 210.In the past 3 mo. I have lost 13 lbs on my own. I am wondering why he wants me to try this.Any suggestions? i am only taking 4mg of glimepiride.If my bs goes over 150,then I take a shot of novolog of 4mg. I am planning a trip to Bolivia in March,and I don’t want to sick all the time. Any advise??

1. Pam
      Pam December 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm | | Reply

Hi Margie,
      I started Victoza in Nov. I have to say that my doctor didn’t say to start at a low dose, which I should have done. She started me at 1.8…I’m not even up to that now. If you want to start, go down to a low dose and even then you might have stomach cramps and gas for about 2 weeks. After about 3 weeks on that dose, go up a click and stay on that one for about a week. It is slow, but caused me less cramping as I increased. I tried to increase faster and the cramps came back. Even now, if I forget a day or do one injection in the morning and one at night to “catch up” my stomach pays the price. I’m not sure if you want to start this if you are planning to go on a trip. It isn’t that the meds won’t travel well, it is very easy to take along, but I felt very tired and bloated for the first 2 months. Good luck!

47. Doris
    Doris December 29, 2011 at 12:19 am | | Reply

Hello Everyone it’s been a long, long time since I been on. just wanted to update, I have lost 17lbs due to excersie, and cutting back on what I eat I did join the gym about 5 months ago I should have lost 40lbs but I didn’t stay on my diet plan., but I am happy with the weight lost, I have decided after the holidays is over I will go back to working out 5 days a week for about an hour and a half each day. My problem is now I have gas real bad I take gas x and other meds over the counter but nothing is working, do any body else have this problem and so what are you taking to control it. The V is not making me lose weight, it may be helping my blood sugar count. Good Luck to everyone.

48. CG
    CG January 2, 2012 at 7:29 am | | Reply

I was given Victoza to replace Avandia. I also take Metformin and Diamicron. I’m at the high end of non-insulin control, and my doctor would prefer I go on insulin, but I’m really resisting that idea for psychological reasons. However, given current circumstances, I may be headed there (ie to insulin) next. However, I appreciate folks saying to hang in there; it looks from the posts in here that several months may be required for stabilization on V.

Regarding upping the dose, I’m in total agreement with those who say to move up slowly. My MD and NP both said to use .6 for 2 weeks, then up to 1.2 for 2 more weeks, and then to 1.8. I began back in October and yesterday (Jan 1) was the first day I’ve felt I could handle the 1.8 as the nausea from 1.2 had finally abated. I injected the 1.8 after dinner. This morning I was more nauseated than ever, and actually sick for the first time since starting the drug. I will go back to 1.2 and perhaps try gradually increasing.

I’m trying to sort out whether the Diamicron (which works differently from Metformin and Victoza) might be having a negative effect in combination with the V. This morning, despite (or because of?) the increased dose of V, my BG is significantly higher than usual (13.2 — not sure how that translates into US measurement but in my system — Canadian — it should be below 7). My Dr’s idea was that if the V worked really well we could decrease the dose of Met or Dia — and I’m wondernig now if there’s a paradoxical effect: ie if the combo of Metformin and Victoza is decreasing blood glucose *too* well during the night, so that I’m having a flood of glucose which then the Diamicron then has to compensate for.

Thinking out loud, but open to your thoughts…

1. CG
      CG January 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm | | Reply

Here’s an update on my posting a few weeks ago. Having experienced nausea and vomiting at the 1.8 level I decided to return to 1.2, but although I’d started feeling okay (not great, just okay) at that level prior to moving to 1.8 that changed when I decreased the dose. I tried 1.2 for a week keeping my other meds the same, and had BG consistently in the range of 12 or so. In other words, moving up to 1.8 and then back down to 1.2 seemed to undo any BG reduction I’d experienced previously even at 1.2. Next, for a week I tried staying at 1.2 and reducing one of my other meds (diamicron) which was what the MD and NP had originally told me to do. No change. The nausea wasn’t decreasing, and I thought to heck with it — I feel crummy, and my BG isn’t improving, and there are all these posts about pancreas-related issues etc.

So my decision was that until I see my MD I’ll go back to 0.6 and see what happens. I began that last night. Today my fasting BG was 6.8. So it seems that for me the Victoza works better at the low dose, and I don’t have the nausea. I’m staying here for now but based on what folks are writing my sense is that the effectiveness of this drug can vary over time too.

I’ll see my MD soon and discuss the other issues; but in general I’m thinking that despite a decade of really resisting insulin (for mostly psychological reasons) I may well be going to the doc begging for it now. I don’t like Victoza at all!

49. Inora
    Inora January 2, 2012 at 10:11 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza since July 2011 and I was weighing 224 lbs
    The next 3 month doc visit I was 214 lbs in Dec. I had another doc appointment with primary care doctor and was weigh and as of Dec 22 22 and weigh 198 lbs. I was attending Diabetic classes one day a week for 2 months and learned a lot about A1C amount and how important it is to keep it below 7 and learned ghost and what to eat. I had stop eating the good tasting chicken for 2 months and ate and juices a lot of vegs and Victoza disorders job of curving and taking away my appetite and I to had to force myself to eat while taking metformin. I started both need the same time since July. Also my feet and ankles were so swollen. I am seeing the veins in my feet and ankles gone down as well as my hand I can see they have gone down. So far so good.

50. Mary
    Mary January 5, 2012 at 4:01 am | | Reply

My blood sugars are HIGH. My last A1C was over 9. My DR suggested Victoza. At the lowest dose I was ok at first. As I raised the dosage the side effects kicked in….LOTS of side effects. I stopped using it and my DR suggested I give it a second shot (!). So I lowered the dosage, tried injecting twice a day. Tried at different time of day. I will NOT ever use this drug again.
    Side effects? Nausea all day, just like when I was pregnant. Sometimes so bad I felt near throwing up (something I haven’t done in 26 yrs). I had headaches, dizzyness to the point I had to hold on to something until I came out of it. I even had muscle cramps in both calves. The scariest thing for me is the BLACK BOX warning in regards to thyroid cancer. My mother had thyroid issues and a huge goiter….I am not willing to risk it.
    It did make me feel full, and with that and the nausea, I ate a lot less. But my weight did not drop.And I felt bloated. My blood sugars were better, but when I weighed the side effects against the plus factors, there was no question. NO VICTOZA for me.
    It took about 3 weeks for side effects to disappear. However, the muscle cramps took longer.