1,265 Responses

1. Sarah
    Sarah July 22, 2010 at 9:46 am | | Reply

I’ve been on it for almost 4 weeks. Today I felt a lot of nausea but it went away after I ate lunch. I don’t get the headaches anymore which is a big relief. Also the severe back ache I had for 10 days is gone suddenly. I’m going to stick with it. My weight is fluctuating but I’m down 7 lbs. overall. I do really well for a whole day, no hunger, being compliant, and then the next day I’ll have a bit more of an appetite and will eat more food, including sweets like cake and ice cream. This needs to stop I know. My anxiety level is bad because I can’t use food to “numb out” anymore. Food was my vice. I’ve had to take Xanax more often and up my Zoloft dose to 200 mg some days. Then I get so tired. So I guess I’m struggling a bit. It helps to read this site.

2. Ruth
    Ruth July 22, 2010 at 11:47 am | | Reply

What I can tell you after 4 weeks is the nausea does pass and becomes more fleeting and short lived. I would suggest keeping a couple crackers handy to nibble when it happens, saltines…just a few. The headaches were the worst for me…kind of like a maliase all day. But I find now they are less intense and less often. I beginning to feel that despite this being a new drug it is really like all the other drugs…the side effects are there but tend to burn off after a while. Keep in mind, I think the side effects are the weight loss side effect maybe in a purposeful way. Regardless…my sugars are low and I’ve lost 11 pounds now. The idea I have low blood sugars without insulin is a blessed thought. It’s hard not to complain about side effects but like the info on the medicine says….weight the risks vs. the benefit. So far, so good. I wnated to stop it due to headaches then nausea nad I didn’t. And I’m better. and I pray that God keeps me healthy. And all the rest…

3. Gloria
    Gloria July 22, 2010 at 1:12 pm | | Reply

I’m keeping you in my thoughts/prayers, Sarah. I believe that it will all work out for the best.

4. Carrie F. Laughlin
    Carrie F. Laughlin July 23, 2010 at 11:39 am | | Reply

I just want to say that Victoza has been wonderful for me. My bsl is down to 90 – 110, and I have lost 16 punds in the 4 weeks I have been taking it at the 1.2 dose. I have had absolutely no side effects, and reading all the other posts, I am very fortunate. I have no appitite at all, but make myself eat yogurt and fruits in the evening…can’t seem to get hungry for breakfast or lunch. Thanks for all the posts, and good luck to everyone…especially those who are struggling with the side effects.

5. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth July 24, 2010 at 11:28 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza 3 days ago. I am so excited to have the chance to try this new drug. I take the .6 at this time with Metforman 1000 mg twice daily along with my other meds. So far I have had very few side effects. I do not have any bruising as of yet. The mild nausea is nothing I can’t live with. I have noticed that I am not having those sudden food cravings today! I can sure live with that change. There is one thing I have already found happening , the blood sugar that I was doing good to keep at 278 was 135 today after eating. I cannot say for sure this will be a regular thing, but I can hope. I will keep updates going in hopes it might help someone else. (Egg seems to help me a great deal in the mornings. Acidic foods are not the answer at this time, for me.)

6. Rita
    Rita July 27, 2010 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

Hi All — Been on Victoza since 4/15/2010 and have had good results so far. Just wanted to say I took Byetta did fine for a while then out of the blue it started making me sicker and sicker (vomitting) and the stomache pain got to the point I and the doctor agreed to stop. So started with this. First day or two was great then I thought I picked up a stomach virus because I was vomitting, queezy etc. It was actually the med — felt miserable for a couple of weeks (about 5) and then all the side effects started fading – stopped vomitting, stomach and back pain stopped etc. Get lightly queezy here and there but thats about it. Only went up to 1.2 daily. So it can take some time but eventually they get better — I was ready to quit as it was effecting my ability to work etc but my supportive husband helped me through the tough days and I’m glad I stayed with it.

For the person asking about vision — if you sugars had been really high and they are now down to normal you maybe actually having an improvement in your vision. High blood sugars can effect your sight so you may find that you are actually seeing better but you should have your eyes checked.

7. Bill
    Bill July 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm | | Reply

Just took my first shot and was suprised to find VERY little pain, Really no exaggeration much much less painful than I anticipated.

8. Sarah
    Sarah July 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on it over 4 weeks now. My weight is down a total of 8-9 lbs. I can only tell that I’ve lost weight in my face. I’m less bloated looking. I still have nausea off and on but it usually doesn’t last longer than 5 minutes. I’m both more energetic and more tired which I know doesn’t make sense. I think the energy is more like a mentally alert feeling and the tiredness is all physical. I’m sleeping a lot, like 11 to 12 hours per day. I will bring this up to the Endo. soon. Maybe I’m fighting some sort of infection. Thanks for the encouragement. Keep me posted.

9. Judy
    Judy July 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm | | Reply

Started Victoza 2 days ago and no negative side effects yet. Started at .6 and I do notice a little less sugar craving. I did use byetta for weight loss and sugar controll but did not loose any weight , It did control my blood sugar quite well. I did not have any side effects from byetta.

10. Judy
    Judy July 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm | | Reply

I am so happy I found this blog!!! I just started Victoza yesterday and I am very excited. I am pre-diabetic with an a1c of 6.0 and weigh 292 pounds. My Doctor and I are hopeful that this will help me to lose weight and keep me from becoming a diabetic.
    I would like to ask everyone their opinion on taking the shot in the morning vs taking it in the evening before bedtime, and if taking the shot in the morning, do you eat breakfast before or after the shot. I am also curious about your opinions on taking the shot in the stomach area vs. the thigh. I have started out taking the shot in the morning in the stomach area. So far I can tell that my appetite has decreased tremendously! I have not gotten sick, but do feel just a tab of mild nausea. I did read an entry here about having some anxiety? I hope this will not happen. Please, share your opinions.

11. misty
    misty July 27, 2010 at 8:08 pm | | Reply

Oh Bill the shot itself is nothing. Just wait for the nausea! On the upside, I’ve lost three pounds this week and my blood sugar has been perfect!!! Never over 120! Good Luck!!

12. Susan Corellis
    Susan Corellis July 28, 2010 at 9:45 am | | Reply

Victoza … well I surely wanted it to work for me but …. I started w/the .6 dose and noticed a little decrease in appetite .. sugar levels dropped great … right away had a lot of indigestion, nausea and gas, flushing, and very blurry eyes … it was difficult to even look in mirror .. on the 4th day of medicine I noticed my legs and feet started to feel different .. like holding fluid … I tried to increase to 1.2 level and could not even function … sleeping all the time and total brain fog … after 5 days of sleeping all the time I stopped the 1.2 dose and went back to .6 … I’m so happy that this drug has worked for everyone else … I write my comments in case there is that person out there who suffers the unusual side effects … also after approx 2 weeks of meds my appetite came back … finally after 24 days of the medication I had to stop …. I could barely walk or stand on my feet they hurt so bad … I’m sad because I really wanted this drug to work for me …. signing … super sensitive to medications

13. Jae
    Jae July 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

My doctor just prescribed this for me yesterday, but after reading about the cancer thing I’m a little freaked out. My family has a history of a number of cancers, not the one they mentioned, but still—I feel like I’m just asking for trouble.

I’m wondering too if I can take it for a bit and then get off of it and if that would lesson the chance of getting the cancer of if it’s one dose and your done for.

I have to call my doctor and talk to her about this, but have any of the rest of you all heard anything about this from your doctor?

I took my first dose yesterday at the doctor’s office and was planning on taking my second one today when I got home, possibly before I went to bed, but am still thinking it over.

14. Ruth
    Ruth July 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

To Jae…Your doctor knows your family’s cancer history (or should) and would not have prescribed Victoza if he felt something might be amiss with it. EVERY drug has signficant side effects and possibles. If you research Victoza, you’ll find that the amount they gave to the rodents was 8x what we are taking and not all got tumors and not all tumors were cancer. I have a tumor of my back right thyroid and seems to be shrinking smaller and small in the last 10 years since I know it’s there. So, I was/am afraid but the benefits of the drug for me greatly outweigh the negatives. Everytime I swallow a Motrin or Advil, I think of all the terrible things they say about nsaids and how they cause edema and more. My beta-blocker, Toprol, dear heavens…did you ever read THOSE side effects? I think you have to trust your doctor or decide on how you are going to treat yourself otherwise. I ididn’t want to choose insulin becuase I still have some. Victoza lets me enhance the insulin my body is making. That matters to me. And no lows that I would be bound to get with insulin. I just pray this stays working and I remain healthy. I’m a terrible second-guesser and a have my PhD in Worrying! But not this time. I have a sense of peace that I have to do something…something to get lower sugars. and with this, I got it. It took my endo 1-3/4 hours to convince me, but he did. Someone has to be one of the first ones to take it. My sugars are lower and I”m healthier on it. His nurse told me that I could skip a day if I wanted so I’m presuming you can just stop it if you want. Trust your doctor. Or, decide what else you are willing to try. Good luck.

15. Ruth
    Ruth July 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm | | Reply

is anyone taking the 1.8 dosage? if so, how’s it going?

16. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth July 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza a full week now, in fact this is day 8. I am not experiencing any of the cravings that I did before. No sudden urge to binge. I am not nauseous to any extreme, and find taking my shot about 11 or so after a filling brunch seems to do the trick. (I am sure this varies person to person) I am not needed the nap during the day as much as I was , and seem to be resting more at night. Some side benefits I was not expecting. I will keep posting as I see things, and have new experiences. OH this may sound a bit strange, but I have not been smoking as much either, and I am a convicted smoker.

17. Ruth
    Ruth July 30, 2010 at 3:58 am | | Reply

My doctor just moved me up to 1.8 dosage. Is anyone on that dose? I’ve been on the1.2 for the last 4 weeks.

18. judy
    judy July 30, 2010 at 9:36 am | | Reply

took victoza at .6,1.2 for 2 weeks each and then went to 1.8. At the last 2 doses, i dont remember how i was at .6, i felt weak, tired, slept alot, lightheaded. nausea was mild and sporatic. could not take byetta as nauseated for 8 months. had to go off. i am thinking of going back on at .6 and staying there for longer than the previous 2 weeks. maybe if i let my body adjust more slowly i will be able to tolerate. loved the lack of appetite and lower blood sugars. doctor on vacation until 8/20 so i can’t discuss with her until then. when she left i was on 1.2. i am really very motivated.

19. Sarah
    Sarah July 30, 2010 at 10:53 am | | Reply

I’ve been on 1.8 for 2 weeks. I too have felt weak, tired, lightheaded. My nausea is sporadic also, usually several times per day, but it feels quite severe actually. But it only lasts a few minutes each time. I inject first thing in the a.m. then I feel very alert and energetic until about lunchtime, when I crash and feel very tired. I’m anxious to discuss this side effect with my Endo. BTW I’ve lost 10 lbs! Yay! (and I’ve eaten ice cream each day) I don’t know what my deal is with ice cream. It eases the nausea, maybe that’s it. I can definitely believe it about not smoking as much. My taste buds are completely different now; I can only eat 1/4 of my meals before I feel abruptly full and can’t eat another bite. I had fried fish the other day and couldn’t eat it because it tasted like soap. I could eat the fries though.

Regarding the person whose legs hurt – Did you start any other drugs besides Victoza maybe? The reason I ask is that I had that problem when I took cholesterol meds and had to stop. My coworker’s legs hurt too when she tried them. My sister’s back hurt from them. A nurse told her that women don’t tolerate statins as well as men because the cholesterol drugs are only tested on men. Don’t know if that’s true.

Anyway, despite the side effects, I’m sticking with Victoza. I haven’t weighed this amount for 6 years. I want to see where this goes.

20. Gloria
    Gloria July 30, 2010 at 11:50 am | | Reply

I went to the Dr this am. I have lost a total of 12 lbs on one full month of Victoza. 1 week at .6. 3 weeks at 1.2. And beginning today I start on 1.8. The nausea is nowhere near as severe as when i first began Victoza.
    My appetite is nothing like it was before. Even my desire to smoke has decreased. I can eat now but nothing like before I began Victoza.
    The pen I’m starting today is my final sample. I have to fill the prescription this weekend or relatively soon. The pens seem to last approximately 2 weeks each. That will be the final concern – the cost of the prescription. Although I was able to find a few coupons online.
    I will keep you updated.

21. Vee
    Vee July 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

After 3 weeks, I’m still pleased with the switch from 2mg Glimipiride to Victosa. I’m sticking with the .6mg dose as my postprandial readings are still great (98-104 range). Not sure if I’ll move up to the 1.2. Luckily, I haven’t experienced any nausea, but definitely have a decrease in appetite. I’ve lost 5 lbs to my surprise (because I’m not exercising regularly). I’ll be exited to start an exercise routine and see the results in another month or two.

22. Ruth
    Ruth July 30, 2010 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

for some reason, today, I was really sick…nausea – but today only (been on .6 one week, 1.2 four weeks starting 1.8 tomorrow) I had a very bad taste in my mouth. I think THAT was nauseating. I kept trying to quell it with icecream (and I agree, I feel like eating that a lot since I’m on this…I think that’s why) I tried Rolaids, tea, anything…but I still feel it now in my mouth. Like rotten food or something. I know that Victoza slows digestion(certainly have been constipated) so maybe for some reason today…the cereal I had before bed last night just was laying in my stomach? Unsure, but I certainly don’t want another day l ike today.

23. Ruth
    Ruth July 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm | | Reply

you know, it’s almost like gastric bypass…I begin a meal hungry but I cannot finish a meal. Meat is the roughest, and tend to eat the frys too instead. Easier to eat. It’s the digestion thing. Has to be. Today I failed at eating well and ate 14 McDonald’s cookies (chocolate chip) over the course of the day. I just wanted teh taste in my mouth to go away. No excuse but it’s mine for today. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. I hope things are going for the worse.

24. Judy
    Judy July 31, 2010 at 7:00 am | | Reply

I just started the 1.2 this am and so far no problems. I hope it controlls my appetite a little better than .6 did. Since my part d will not pay for this , I have looked to canada and found I can get a 3 pak for 285.00 . Has anyone else had any experience with canadian online pharmacys. Let me know and I will post my experience with my order. thanks

25. Ruth
    Ruth July 31, 2010 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Does anyone have experience with the “time” of day you inject and whether it works better at any certain time. The doctor told me to begin injecting an hour before dinner…because that’s when I tend or keep eating after dinner to bed. He felt it might help with that. (was injecting at 7AM) Just wondering if anyone injects at different times. Thanks. And to Judy…my doctor’s been giving me the pens free until september 8th when I get prescription coverage. It’s not in the VA’s formulary but I’m going to try to get it there as I am 100% service connected.

26. Lamar
    Lamar July 31, 2010 at 7:07 pm | | Reply

My internal med doctor has given me a sample of Victoza to try. My A1C (tested in June) went over 7 (7.3) for the first time, so I have not been taking any diabetic meds before. Reading all this kind of scares me…..I’m not at all in the frame of mind to inject something that’s going to make me nauseous or have headaches, etc. Normally I have little side effects with meds, but this one scares me, so I haven’t started it yet. I wanted to go to a really good Endo and get started with him, but I couldn’t get an appt until late Oct, so I’ve got to do something in the meantime. My IM doctor said he would prescribe Metformin if I didn’t want to take the Victoza. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, it seems everyone has their own technique for easing the side effects…esp nausea….taking at certain times of the day, eating certain foods before or after the injection, etc. Wish everyone would say what they do….when you take it, when do you eat and what do you eat, etc.

Many thanks for the info everyone has posted….it gives a neophyte some info that’s helpful!!

27. beverley cleary
    beverley cleary August 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm | | Reply

I’m on my third week now of victoza and have had no symptoms of any sort—except that I have gained 4 pounds. Very discouraging. I did have considerable swelling on one foot; it lasted about 24 hours and was very painful. Then the swelling and pain went away. I took Byetta for two years off and on, lost 40plus pounds with it, but my stomach really got torn up.

28. Ruth
    Ruth August 2, 2010 at 3:55 am | | Reply

To Lamar…chances are your endo will recommend Victoza too as a frontline med to lower your blood sugars. I take my shot at 7 AM – just take it the same time every day. With or without food. (Read the informational sheet carefully to know all of this). Sure, I had nausea the first two weeks, so I sipped Coke Zero and ate come saltines when it came. It wasn’t life changing, it was fleeting. Still is sometimes and I’m 6 weeks already. All know is that I had to do something. I was on metformin for 10 years and really wasn’t watching my food intake. If you feel better waiting for the endo, do that then. But really, the information literature you get with your pen explains a lot. Bottom line: Victoza WILL lower your blood sugars and cause you to lose a little bit of weight maybe. Lower sugars mean a healthier you. Every pill has some side effects. Read your Metformin literature. We all have had the choice to watch what we eat and exercise enough so that we could manage our diabetes without drugs. It didn’t work out that way so we are taking Victoza now with or without other medication. For most of us, the nausea and headaches are something we put up with because of the greater benefit.

29. Selena
    Selena August 2, 2010 at 4:38 am | | Reply

I have been reading the comment thread and wanted to add more info…

That said, I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice.

My endo had me increase doses by a few clicks at a time. I went home and slowly increased my dose one click every 3 days. It helped tremendously with side effects. I am between .6 and 1.2 right now. My doctor wants me at 1.2, but I ran into more nausea about 17 clicks in. Went back down to 16 clicks and test my blood sugar a lot to see if this dose is working.

I take the Victoza before my first meal of the day. My blood sugar is always the highest after breakfast, so I want all the med I can get then. I also always take the Victoza right before I eat, which I also did when I was on Byetta. Getting food in my stomach helps with any after-injection nausea.

The appetite suppressant effect of Victoza last all day for me. I can still over eat, but I feel really sick now if I do.

I have much less stomach upset with the Victoza than I did with Byetta. I used to get horrible heartburn at night on Byetta … none so far with Victoza.

I have been taking it now for at least 3 months and I really like this medication.

30. Ruth
    Ruth August 2, 2010 at 4:52 am | | Reply

Just wanted to mention that the doctor switched my dosage time from 7AM until 4 PM because I was still overeating afer dinner. This helped so far. IT’s only two days since I switched the time, but it stopped my eating after dinner.

31. Donna
    Donna August 2, 2010 at 11:37 am | | Reply

I just started Victoza Sat. I decided since I take my thyroid medication in the morning to take the injection shortly before bedtime. My pharmacists reccomended this as it is important to keep my oral medications in my stomach as long as possible (JIC) since vomiting and diareha are known to occur with this injection. So far I have experienced a little dizziness and a cold feeling after injection on the .6 level. I will be increasing to 1.2 this Saturday and God willing I will have no side effects. I had GD and nine years later I have been batteling to get my weight down as I have PCOD, hypothyroid, and HB. Being a pre-TII and overweight and now having higher fasting BSLs I am hopeful that Victoza will jump start my metabolism and get me back on track. I am a diet conscience person and hate to eat out, but when my BSL go low I know I binge eat on a monthly basis (goes around my MS). Hitting 40 in a few weeks and I know my metabolism will slow even more in the coming years so I hope all the side affects I have read about truly do outweigh the positive results. I’ll post again when I find out how my dosage increase works this Saturday. Oh, I read a post near the beginning where the person rubbed after injection. Don’t do that! Read the instructions and directions again and you will see that rubbing the injection site is a no no. I’d say talk to your Dr. or Pharmacist and see what they think if you have more issues with the injection site. And for those asking about the tummy injection, well it makes me squemish to poke my tummy so I go for the thigh (enough of fat there on me and scaring resistance as well). Best of luck everyone and I will post again soon!

32. Sarah
    Sarah August 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm | | Reply

Just got home from a 24 hour stay at the hospital. I had cholitis, very painful. I thought it was my gall bladder. This is why I’ve been so tired, an infection festering in my bowels. I haven’t been on Victoza for 2 days now. I have to wait until I get better and get a colonoscopy.

33. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth August 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm | | Reply

selena,
    I find the way your DR. had you do it interesting. Mine wanted to do it gradually, but instead of your way ,had me do the .6 for 30 days. Then I am to increase to 1.2 for the next 30 days. I love the appetite control (since I have none on my own) that Victoza gives me. I also find I do not want to smoke quite as much. My blood glucose is half of what it was, and I am anxiously awaiting the next check up so I can inform my doctor.

34. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth August 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm | | Reply

Congratulations Ruth, I hope it keeps doing this for you and me as well! It feel like some kind of miracle here for me too.

35. Misty
    Misty August 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

No wonder I’ve felt so horrible. The first week I started with .6 dose. Week two uped it to 1.2. Tonight I was to start the1.8 but could not bring myself to do it. I’ve been so sick. Maybe I need to stay at 1.2 for a little longer.

36. Ruth
    Ruth August 3, 2010 at 3:29 am | | Reply

I am, too, afraid to start the 1.8. I”ve been on the 1.2 for 5 weeks now but reading the lightheadedness and sick from the 1.8 users keeps me back. BUT, sadly to report, my appetite returned yesterday. It was the first day since June 21 when I began this treatment that I ate sugar, a lot of it. And, binged a little with dinner and after. I’m sick about it. I feel like it’s all been for not. I hope today will be better and I can get back on track. I think I’m just destined to be so heavy. Just a low morning here.

37. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth August 3, 2010 at 7:24 am | | Reply

Lamar,

I am getting along marvelously with my Victoza. I am getting amazing results. There is no guarantee on who will or who will not have a certain side effect. There is not medicine out there that cannot cause a side effect. There is however: one way to know is to try it for at least a week. I am so glad I did!

38. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth August 3, 2010 at 7:26 am | | Reply

Ruth,

I cannot do my injections later without having nausea. I do mine prior to my lunch time , AFTER a breakfast with meat of some kind, or at least eggs. This seems to do the trick for me. I too am a snacker and the binges have stopped. I just cannot finish a full meal anymore.

39. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth August 3, 2010 at 7:28 am | | Reply

LOL I compare mine to the lapbanding! I am so shocked to see my plate go back with half the food still on it! This is not like me and I love it!

40. Debbi D
    Debbi D August 3, 2010 at 5:13 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victoza about a month and half ago, I started at .6 i was a bit uncomfortable but not anything un bearable after 2 weeks I went up to 1.2 I began getting very sick to my stomach and diarhea. I ended up at ER for dehydradition. My endo sent me there and went back to.6 for a couple weeks just went back to 1.2 saturday a bit nervous. I am taking injection at night because after a couple hours Im wiped out.Has anyone else been totally exhausted? I dont feel as nausea but after i eat I need to stay close to home. food goes right thru me.I am also taking Synthroid and 2000mg Glumetza.Figuring out when to take everything a bit tricky.I have lost 18 lbs so far..Has anyone has any problems with dairy milk really upsets my stomach, but small scoops of ice cream is soothing???I want this to work so Ill keep on truckin.. Im so glad I found this site I know Im not alone. thank you all for encouraging posts..

41. Sarah
    Sarah August 4, 2010 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

My Endo said the Victoza might have complicated the colitis that I was just hospitalized for because it can cause loose bowels. I was extremely tired but I didn’t want to stop the Victoza so I ignored my symptoms. I had other digestive things going on and I should have addressed those also. Now I can’t go back on the Victoza until I’m better.

42. Gloria
    Gloria August 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm | | Reply

I checked with my pharmacy today and Victoza is covered by my healthcare insurance. Yay! My copay is slightly higher than what I pay for other prescription meds. But still entirely doable.
    I know nothing is a miracle cure… but this stuff seems to help me. I’m more than willing to fork over the money monthly to regain my health. Now to concentrate on a better diet and workout program.

43. Judy
    Judy August 5, 2010 at 5:37 pm | | Reply

I have been on victoza 1.2 since last saturday ,was .6 for a week prior and no symptoms except tiredness. I had to switch from morning to evening right before I go to bed. It was making me so tired durning the day, and I wasn’t having the appitite control I wanted. Now that I have changed to evening , I have not had the tiredness in the day and I do not seem to have a desire for food. If I eat it has to be something cold and creamy like yogurt or a smoothie, lowcarb of course. I have lost about 3 lbs. My blood sugar is great. I have gone off metformin , do not need it now. I am probably not going to 1.8 this weekend like my Doc told me, I will wait for the appetite to come back then I will move up. thanks

44. judy
    judy August 5, 2010 at 6:24 pm | | Reply

went off victoza after going up by 2 week intervals to 1.8. saw doctors as i was soooo sick. felt like i was going to pass out when i stood up, nausaous, but not terribly, etc. now after being off for 2 weeks and feeling well, except still lightheaded so maybe that was not the victoza, i am back on .6. will stay here for maybe a month and then i like the suggestion of going up 1 click at a time for a few days and slowly getting my body adjusted. I can see a difference in my bs numbers instantly and this is exciting. on my 2nd day i am still not experiencing lack of appetite but it seems to be starting, i think. please keep writing notes as they are so helpful. keep on keeping on

45. LaDonna Markworth
    LaDonna Markworth August 6, 2010 at 7:39 am | | Reply

I saw my doctor yesterday, and after only 2 weeks on Victoza .6 , I have lost 11 pounds and my blood sugar is more regulated than it has ever been.

46. Karen
    Karen August 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm | | Reply

I do not think I over eat. I eat 3 meals a day. They might not always be the best but for the most for breakfast it is either an egg, sausage burrito or a bowl of oatmeal. Lunch usually consists of a lunch meat sandwich or I admit I do go to Mc D’s and get a fish filet with a salad. Dinner, my family is meat and potatoes for most days. I rarely eat before bedtime. During the day I drink half and half tea. Many days I will have 1 soda drink. Is this overeating? I will eat ice cream or a piece of cake maybe 1 every 2 weeks. I have been a diabetic for 3 1/2 years and have put on 60 lbs. I do not really exercise much, last Dec. I rode my stationery bike for 30 minutes a day 5 days a week, for 3 months and did not lose a single pound so I stopped. I got discouraged. My doctor knows the weight bothers me, so has suggested Victoza. I am concerned how almost all of you say it has lowered how much you eat. I am afraid if I stop much more would that be healthy? I got very nauseated on metformin and had to stop that. But I think Victoza is my only chance to lose my extra 60 pounds. Can anyone give me their thoughts. Really confused.

47. Kat
    Kat August 7, 2010 at 10:12 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza 4 weeks, at 0.6, Dr. is trying for the
    “side effect” of appetite suppression. It has worked so far. I am please to see that others taking insulins have been prescribed Victoza also. My ins. carrier has refused to pay citing that both byetta and victoza are not approved with insulin. I trust my doctor. I am happy to say no nausea, no side effect except more than usual amount of salivation between meals. That has been interesting, but not problematic. In the 4 weeks, I have lost 16 pounds. My blood sugar reading have been wonderful, fasting between 70 and 100, 2 hours post meals 104 to 120. I am very pleased and we plan to challenge the ins. co. Oh, and I test 6 to 8 times a day and have had to reduce my Humalog at meal times and my Lantus at bedtime to prevent hypos. I have had 3 interesting hypos when I dropped to readings of 50 – 59. Was able to fix those with an apple. So far, I am very pleased with everything expect the insurance carrier.

48. Judy
    Judy August 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm | | Reply

I am doing great on V, started two weeks ago tomorrow and I am supposed to start 1.8 , but I am doing so well on 1.2 that I am going to stay here till it stops working for me. Hope that does not happen. I have lost 8 lbs in 13 days. Blood sugar was 111 on rising this am. Not having to take anything but V . Having a lot of gas. I feel very full all the time and some smells make me a little sick. Not having a bm but every 3rd day but I do not feel constapated at all. I have had a little stomach pain and I took pepsid ac and it stopped. I did have the gastric sleeve about two years ago, so that might be some of the problem. Only lost 10 lbs after I had the sleeve done. My part d does not pay for this medicine,but I will pay out of pocket. I think this is a miracle drug for me. thanks Judy

49. Ruth
    Ruth August 8, 2010 at 5:46 pm | | Reply

I’m on V since 6-21 and I’m at 1.2 since week two and for this week…1.2 plus three clicks on my way to 1.8. I had great appetite control initially. I had a stressful situation occur and did a binge. I have no idea how I did it because it’s hard to even eat a full meal sometimes. But I did and have been since. Hard to get back on. But the good news is that my BS have remained low. I take my shot at 6 PM. I have occasional nausea but it’s fleeting I’ve lost 11 pounds but no more. If I could jsut regain appetite control…I’d be great. Trying hard to just eat my goodies at mealtime and not later. I wish for hte appetite control I had in the beginning. Any else have your appetite come back?

50. Ruth
    Ruth August 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm | | Reply

seriously…if anyone out there has a method for appetite control, please…write it here. Fear of being unhealthy should be enough…but it’s not. I’m just a binge eater. Help me if you know how. I”m so grateful for the Victoza.