1,265 Responses

1. Kim
    Kim July 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm | | Reply

BTW I did not lose one pound while taking it(5 months), but it did take my numbers to normal with the first injection.

2. MED
    MED July 30, 2011 at 4:09 am | | Reply

Update on weight loss – I had posted earlier that we (the MD and I) were increasing dose to 1.2 to see if the weight loss would kick in. I’ve only lost 5 more pounds – wonderful to lose but not the results expected.

Has anyone had the following side effects? These have come about since increasing to 1.2 but I haven’t seen anyone address them and was wondering if it is just me or the meds….
    – Dry cough, not constant but enough to be a nuisance and I need to have cough drops or water with me all the time. Wakes me up at night too.
    – My eyeballs hurt and as I work on a computer all day it makes concentrating on the screen very difficult. The strain is leading to blurred vision (more than before), and a constant dull headache that won’t go away with even Excedrin Migraine.
    – My feet and hands are always hot.
    – Throat feels like it is swollen or closing up – sometimes I choke on my own spit – which starts the coughing and I cough so hard I gag.
    – Extreme – and I mean EXTREME – exhaustion. Physically cannot move by about 8p.m. every night. I’m in bed by 8:30pm and sleep solid till 5am – only the coughing wakes me up.

3. Donna
    Donna July 30, 2011 at 7:40 pm | | Reply

To MED: I currently take 1.2 also, and I also asked if anyone had problems with the vision, I too have problems when I sit at my computer and my eyes have a funny feeling and they hurt and its also hard to focus and my vision gets real blurred, its like going from a really dark room out into the bright sun and trying to focus. I do feel tired all the time and thought from another user that maybe my B12 was low, but I just had my labs and its within normal range. I had to reschedule my eye appointment because the doc was away, I can’t wait to see him and asked his opinion. As far as the feet and hands I have neuropathy in my feet and that’s a whole story in its self.

4. Patty
    Patty August 1, 2011 at 3:26 pm | | Reply

Lynne,

I have Aetna HMO and they pay for my Victoza. I have a $25 co-pay. They made my doctor call the insurance company before they did, and they have to verify with my doctor for each renewal, but I don’t care. I just need to not wait until the last minute to renew

5. lynne h.
    lynne h. August 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm | | Reply

Patty-I am not sure if you and I have the same policy-my co-pays for medicines are $4.00 at Wlamart for generic, but, if not generic, they aqre $40.00 for amonths supply-you may have a better plan-I received a letter from Aetna and they said I have to have proff that I tried Byetta for one month and it was not successful. Thanks for the info!

6. Leslie
    Leslie August 3, 2011 at 6:03 am | | Reply

I began Victoza on January 22, 2011. As of this morning, I’m 142 lbs down. Victoza gave me a huge jump start (if you call nausea, vomiting and diarreha a jump start). The first 3-4 weeks were tough….really tough. I’ve followed a terribly strict, medically supervised diet. I have 30 or so more lbs to go. I’m pushing for 50, but will live with the Dr.’s recommendations. My numbers are amazing. For the first time since January, I ate a dessert with sugar in it. I forgot my meds. (I was travelling and perhaps the bourbon people in Kentucky seem to love so much had something to do with it). The next morning my blood sugar was 92. I’m not a fool and won’t play with my health. I’m 54 years old and can’t afford to be stupid. But major weight loss is possible. It’s not easy. Victoza helped, but I had to be very careful about each bite of food. I measure, weigh and journal everything. I”m the poster child for “this can’t be done.” Trust me, it can. But you have to meet the drug more than half-way. The only real way to take it off and keep it off is portion control. There are NO free foods. 6 cups of salad with no dressing is still teaching you to eat 6 cups of food at a setting. Add just 4 TBSP of dressing (not much for 6 cups of greens) and you’re looking at several hundred calories. A couple of croutons and a hand full of cheese and you’ve just eaten a full days of calories. Sorry…now I’m on my soap box. But here I am, buying clothing in the regular size people’s department, starting a running program, fitting in booths at restaurants (and eating healthily while there). I have my life back. My diabetes is under control. My cholesterol is enviable. No BP meds. Sadly, Victoza can only boost your will power, you have to do the rest.

7. brycie
    brycie August 3, 2011 at 10:42 am | | Reply

Wini— any time pain is unbearable no matter where it is it is a sign that you need medical attention!!!! Also since V has known side effect of pancreatitis – please get to your Doctor…. My Dr has told me any signs of pancreatitis to call him immediately –

Holly how’s that A/C down there – please send some to NY — I feel like all I do is sweat…. but still no more wgt loss :( I do feel thinner and think my clothes are looser — but then get on a scale and no change – will go to Dr appt friday and see what his evil scale says..

I’m going to ask him to let me go to 1.8 dose — by the way he tells me that he doesn’t think nausea is a bad side effect – “if you are nauseas you won’t eat- right?”

I have noticed with my abdomen feeling thinner that my balance riding horses has improved – when I gained wgt my balance got terrible and actually had some bad falls-

Carol thanx for your sympathies but farm life is a way of life we choose – it really is a great way of life – but always hard work (you’d think I would be thin ) sun up to sun down – but an office would drive me bonkers

re: vision changes- I think when I started V my vision seemed to get clearer – but some people on this thread said it was d/t my BS being back to normal – now it seems to be fine don’t notice any changes.

Today when I picked up my V at walgreens the pharmacist came and told me that the drug company is requiring him to ask me if I am having any problems with it. Why all of a sudden would he ask? anyone else have them ask you ??

Have a great day all keep posting it does help to read that others are in same boat :) Brycie

8. brycie
    brycie August 3, 2011 at 11:07 am | | Reply

9. brycie
    brycie August 3, 2011 at 11:09 am | | Reply

10. Gina
    Gina August 4, 2011 at 11:27 am | | Reply

@ Med. I think you should go to your doctor at once. Remember Victoza can cause thyroid cancer and the symptoms are hard to swollow and coughing. it can be only a cold or even bronchitis but don’t take a chance when you are on V.
    @ Katy. Are you eating home made food or fast foods. I changed my eating habits but, still enjoy what I eat. Just no fast foods.
    @ Wini. Is the abodminal pain around your back to the front of your stomach? That’s what you need to watch for and should get checked asap.
    @ Leslie. So, happy for you that you lost 142 lbs. and yes portion control is the key. But, some of us who have changed their eating habits are still not losing weight. I am one of them. I won’t change my eating habits anymore than I have. Need to figure out what is the next step, b/c I am getting to the point that nothing will help.
    Well, enough of that. I will check my A1C in 2 weeks. that will make it 6 months on V. My A1C was Feb 24, 7.5 and in 3 months on V May 24, 5.7. So, my blood sugar did go down. If it is still low, I will cut back on V and see if a lower dose will still work.
    Take care everyone.

11. holly nelson
    holly nelson August 5, 2011 at 5:30 am | | Reply

Morning Brycie,

Its HOT.HOT.HOT here… We are all ready for Satin to take his weather back anytime now!!!! The A/C’s are running and the electric bills are HIGH!!!

About the weight loss… in the beginning I didnt lose any weight I just lost inches then after a little while the weight followed.. :) Hang in there girl!!

12. Katy
    Katy August 5, 2011 at 5:45 am | | Reply

Going to the Dr today to see what to do….been on V since 7/7…NO changes whatsoever in the BS!!! On 1.8 for over 2 weeks with no decreases in AC or PP checks..my am BS is still over 200. I am eating right, exercising which is a change and still on Metformin 1000 mg once a day…25U Novolog with each meal, 60U of Levimir at bedtime…I am sooooo disappointed. I wanted V to be the answer for me. I did lose 14 pounds the first two weeks, but none since. I’m just not sure why it isn’t bringing the numbers down….
    Very sad….

13. Gina
    Gina August 5, 2011 at 11:42 am | | Reply

@ Donna, What is your B12 count? Normal is not 200-400 to low. It should be closer to 1000. I test my B12 every time I test my A1C. every 3 months. I find if I stop taking my subliminal B12 my count goes down to 500. I feel tired, and brain fog. I work with # at work and can’t remember them when coping them down. but, if my level B12 is 1000, I feel great, awake, no brain fog. at work writing down 7 number invoices,and I remember them just from looking at them once. Use to keep lookin back and forth for each #. So, ask what your B12 #’s are.

@ Katy, feel bad for you. maybe it takes V alittle longer. My doc says sometimes it takes 3 months. Good luck, let us know what happens.

14. Richard
    Richard August 6, 2011 at 9:07 am | | Reply

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting.

I was diagnosed with T2 this past April. Daily testing at that time averaged between 240 – 280 with an A1C of 11.5. I was given V by my doctors and started using it the first of April. I have now lost 40 lbs, blood pressure down to 122/78 from 152/98. Daily meter readings range between 80 -95 in the morning and around 130 two afters meals. I have significanly changed my eating habits since April.

I realize from this blog and talking with many people, that I have responded well to the changes I’ve made and to V. Yesterday, my doctor offically took me off V. (However, it’s been three weeks since my last injection). My doctor is amazed that I have been able to reach this milestone so quickly. Just dumb luck and some determination I guess. Anyway, I will continue to follow this blog, but I just wanted you all to know that your actions can have great results. Keep it up and I wish all of you the best!

15. brycie
    brycie August 8, 2011 at 6:00 am | | Reply

Welcome Richard and congrats –
    Nice to see my last posting went thru 3 x’s !!!! — doesn’t look like it is going thru from here – OH well sorry if you had to read it over and over..

went to Dr Fri A1C- 6.0 :) and all other labs great – wgt down total of 16 # since start of V — BUT really thought it was down more – I feel thinner and clothes are looser – can’t have it all — still need to lose a ton.

Dr told me to go to 1.8 for a trial so slowly increasing the clicks a every few days.

Holly still Hot and humid here – wait til winter when I whine about zero temps !!!!

Happy Monday to all !!!!!!

16. Kathie Kellner
    Kathie Kellner August 8, 2011 at 8:42 am | | Reply

My doctor gave a free sample of Victoza and Byetta. I loved the Victoza solely because I lost my appetite and felt motivated to diet. I could not tolerate the horrible side effects of Byetta and, therefore, my doctor pushed Medicare to approve a prescript of Victoza. I was excited to find out, after 3 months of persuasion to Medicare, the prescription was approved. I was NOT prepared for the expense. A 90-day supply costs $353.00 out of my own pocket – with a “savings” from Medicare of more than $1,000. The prescription without any drug coverage costs $500 per month. This is outrageous and I cannot afford the “minimal amount” of $353.00. What is going to happen to me after the 90 days are over and I cannot afford to buy Victoza again? I’ll probably be dependent on the stuff the rest of my life. THEREFORE, I asked the pharmacist to keep the Victoza and I will just have to deal with my diabetes WITHOUT this “wonder drug.”

17. lynne h.
    lynne h. August 8, 2011 at 9:01 am | | Reply

Kathie,

That is outrageous! I started Victoza on June 23 and so far have also gotten samples from my Dr. My insurance wants me to try Byetta for a month to show that Victoza works better. My numbers have been great and I also cannot afford to pay what the pharmacy charges, which is 457.00 a month!!! If and when my insurance decides to pay for it, I still do not know what “my cost” will be. It is not right that you have to prove that this is the correct drug for you-I don’t know if Victoza is a permanent drug or something people take for a short time-but if it works, when are the insurance companies going to realize the cost is lower than the outcome of NOT being able to take it? Keep Fighting!

18. Ken
    Ken August 8, 2011 at 10:17 am | | Reply

First time here….just started taking Victoza. Dr took me off Junuvia. Only day two but so far NO side affects..also on Nova 70/30…Dr’s goal is to get me off of everything buy Victoza. Will keep you posted….today’s weight: 202.
    Ken

19. Enricka Thomas
    Enricka Thomas August 9, 2011 at 11:56 am | | Reply

Second time take Victoza today (first time was yesterday in the doctor’s office). Nausea has been pretty bad, and I’ve thrown up twice. I’m willing to continue trying it, if the side effects go away soon. I am insulin resistent.

20. Gina
    Gina August 10, 2011 at 10:29 am | | Reply

@ kATIE, ask your doctor for the Victoza card. They are given out a savings that you pay only $25 each time for a year. It came in the starter package that my doctor gave me at the office. otherwise you can contact V and ask them for it.

Good Luck,

21. Gina
    Gina August 11, 2011 at 10:25 am | | Reply

@ Enricka are you starting at the beginning dose .06??
    If so, some people take it at night time until their side effects subsides.
    Hope you feel better.

@ ken: Go for you NO side effects. Me too. Except no weight loss, of course, the side effect that I really wanted.

@ Richard: Why did your Doc take you off of V so fast? What was your final A1C? Are your blood cts still normal? Just wondering b/c I am going to my Endo in 10 days.

22. SuzAnne
    SuzAnne August 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm | | Reply

Hi all. My husband has run the gammet with EVERY diabetes treatment known to man. Absolutely nothing worked for him. He finally went to my endo, who immediately put him on Victoza. Talk about a Godsend. His number immediately dropped. His appetite lessened. No injection site issues, and no stomach upset. Between testing his blood and taking Novalog and Lantus he was feeling like a pincushion, with 12-16 sticks per day. With the Victoza he is off all other injections, and most all of his medications. He now takes 1.8 mg Victoza every night, and 1000 mg Metformin twice a day.

However, now my Insurance company is saying that Victoza is not a preferred medication, and I’ll need to pay for this. I’ve sent letters from the endo and his primary physician stating how marvelous this drug is, and they still refuse to cover this. Isn’t there anything we can do?

23. kimber331
    kimber331 August 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm | | Reply

I began Victoza on a staggering- increase dose –week one, 0.6, week two, 1.2, then week three, 1.8 and thats where I stayed until I discontinued it after 4 months of compliance. I had the alot of nausea–like random, pregnancy nausea and wonder if my weight loss was due strictly to feeling sick. I did notice less night time cravings and feeling full faster. The weight loss hoovered around 10 pounds. I really do not like the feeling of delaying my food from emptying. That feeling of fullness in the pit of my stomachthat seemed to rise up my esophogus–yuck. Most of the time after my shot, I didn’t feel well. I like having alot of energy, vim-and-vigor—usually i felt nausea and wanted to drink an entire liter of Canada Dry Ginger Ale. I think the best response I had from Victoza is that my sugars didnt seem to swoop so high after eating–i usually feel super tired after eating basically more than a cup of anything that is not pure protien. Over all, my sugars were lower but it still really never drove down my AM fasting blood sugar. I’ve been off the victoza for 2 weeks now and I do run on the treadmill for 35 minutes about 4-6 days a week and I have not gained any weight back and overall, I still have better control over my eating. But I have noticed my sugars seem higher–even higher than they were prior to any Victoza. I am nervous that stopping the Victoza has somehow rebounded in worsening my diabetes. I am seeing my doctor next week. I am trying to re-work my diet to make it even lower carbs–but low carbs make me really cranky and sad. I know the key is in proper nutrition and exercise–problem is, something like steel-cut oats(plain!) can throw my sugar up to 265! I HATE that I have to experiment on myself contantly to figure out what I can eat!!! Nothing drives me more crazy than eating something that reacts with my body chemistry–having and immediate rise in BS–then basically wanting to curl up in a ball on my kitchen table, a restaurant floor or a picnic blanket and sleep like Rumple Stiltskin!!!

24. Gillian
    Gillian August 13, 2011 at 5:57 am | | Reply

I was prescribed vicotza a couple of months ago – yesterday was the final straw- i was so ill I felt so poisoned; my GP was very concerned. I have been unable to stop vomiting and gagging, feeling exrtreley nauseated, fatigued; pains in abdomen; sweating; hot flushes; aches and pains everywhere. the most severe headaches and weird feelings of my brain imploding. Unable to eat (eating arrowroot biscuits-to ease nausea)
    This has been going on for the last six weeks – i thought i was dying (I wanted to end it all yesterday because of the way i felt) My GP told me i have gastroparesis and to stop the victoza (would have done anyway) I take 100 mcgs of thyroxine daily and was never told about any side effects. I am really glad its working for some people but after trying to keep on it even going back to a lower dose to see if it eased my symptoms it hasn’t worked. So it is not a panacea for type II diabetics, and should not be seen as so.

25. lynne h.
    lynne h. August 14, 2011 at 5:44 am | | Reply

SuzAnn,
    You have to appeal it with your insurance-I am doing that (Aetna) First I have to try Byetta for a month and then my endo will show that I had better results with Victoza-Victoza also has a discount card that you can get-so far I am using samples of Victoza and the cost is $457.00 a month without my insurance approving it-I will find out probably by Sept or Oct if it gets approved-keep fighting and have your husbands Endo get involved.

26. SuzAnne
    SuzAnne August 15, 2011 at 11:26 am | | Reply

Thanks for th response. He has tried Byetta in the past with no favorable results. His gp wrote a letter as did the endo. Still denied. I’m finishing up the appeal tonite. He has to go back to Novalog and insulin since we are out of samples. His sugar will be back over 300 within 3 days. Hope Aetna is proud

27. Gloria
    Gloria August 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

Hi everyone! Went to the internal medicine dr last week. I’ve lost 6 more pounds in the 3 months since I last visited. Blood pressure was excellent. AND I don’t have to go again for another 6 months! Wooo Hooo!

Also I have Aetna insurance. Originally I think I was payin approximately 50 monthly for V. Got my prescription refilled Friday and paid 20.00. But please note that I have the most expensive plan there is available with my company. Yet the amount I pay monthly is worth being able to get my prescriptions cheaper. I only have one other prescription now and it went from 40.00 to 5.00. Previously, I was spending approximately 200.00 a month in prescriptions.

I’m so excited I’m going to the GYM this afternoon!

On a serious note, I have noticed that I’m not losing weight as fast as I was in the beginning but I have none of the bad side effects that I had in the beginning either. I rarely have a headach now. I do still experience some of the gas but no nausea. And that is primarily when I’ve had to eat on the run (traveling, rushing to a meeting, trying to cram breakfast down my throat) or when I’ve eaten stuff that isnt good for me like my comfort food of hamburgers.

I still have sugar cravings but have practically given up sodas. I do keep a 6 pack in the fridge for emergencies.

Still far from skinny but I cannot wait for my Grandmother to see me in my new body this weekend at her surprise party.

28. Lee
    Lee August 17, 2011 at 10:37 am | | Reply

I started on Victoza 1 year ago in one of the studies. I had very little nausea, but did suffer the headaches. My fasting blood was any where from 150 to 250, after taking the Victoza for less than 2 weeks it started dropping and by the end of the month I never had a count over 100. I’ve lost 30 pounds, my energy level is great, I feel fantastic and my A1c is 5.2. I’ve never been into exercise and I’m still not. I lost the pounds without even trying. The study is over and I am no longer on the Victoza. I’ve gained back a little of the weight, my appetite is back (boo hoo) and my energy level has gone down. My insurance does not cover Victoza. I am now looking into ways I can afford it. To me Victoza is a miracle drug and I thank Novo Nordisk for their continued efforts to find better drugs for diabetics.

29. Gloria
    Gloria August 17, 2011 at 10:52 am | | Reply

Hey guys, Got my official results report from the IM last night — This is a direct quote “Mild anemia, kidney and liver are excellent. So glad to report – Excellent diabetes A1c is 5.7″ And unlike usual, I didnt get any bad notes about triglycerides or cholesterol or anything. Yippeee!!!!

Lee – Have you contacted anyone at Novo Nordisk to see if there is anything they can do to help. I am so happy for your A1c number – excellent!!!! That’s gonna be me one day. :-)

30. Sheryl
    Sheryl August 17, 2011 at 7:50 pm | | Reply

Frist I’d like to say this forum has been so helpful for me. Hearing from real people and how you are coping with using Victoza. I guess we’re all part of experiment but we’re in it together.,
    I have been struggling with Diabetes for 15yrs – everything tried, Avandia, Metaformin, Gluconorm and finally insulin. Nothing seemed to help bring down the A1C to under 7. Finally moving to a new Endo, head of Endo at St Micheal’s Hospital, I started V in April of this year. After the initial nausea and headaches, my appetite delcined, I had more energy and felt good for the first time in along time. Morning BS dropped to single digits for the first time in 10years! Now after 20lbs, practically off of the fast acting insulin however….I have had 3 allergic reactions when at night I take the V and the Humolog N (nightime insulin). Only 3 reactions, the first 2 were managable, covered in hives took and antihistimine and I was fine. Lst night thought,.,..boy I was this close to calling 911. The allergeric reaction started (did not have any new foods, not new enviromental factors, nothing different at all), I took the Benedryl but the reaction continued to progress and got progressively worse. Covered in hives, throat starting to swell THEN the diarrehea and vomitting started along with the most painful abdominal pain and cramping I have ever felt. This lasted about 1.5hrs – I was in really bad shape, not to mention my bathroom! Everything finally subsided and I fell alseep. The next morning, I was fine. No lingering symptoms. The sudden onset surprized me…has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks

31. Lee
    Lee August 18, 2011 at 8:28 am | | Reply

Hi Gloria, No I have not contacted them yet I have just started my quest for help. Your 5.7A1c is fantastic and so are your lab results. Keep up the good battle.

32. Gina
    Gina August 18, 2011 at 12:32 pm | | Reply

@ Sheryl. I broke out in hives once. It lasted 1 week. but, my doc didn’t think it was from V. he thinks it was from putting down mulch in my flower beds. Please don’t wait to call for help especially when your throat swells or anything on your face. You might not be able to breathe before help arrives! Why not take V, in the morning? far apart from Humolog N (nightime insulin). And why didn’t the Doctor take you off Humolog since V has made a great improvement in your A1C? What did the Doctor say?

@ Lee have your doctor call your insurance co. and let them know how good V worked for you. Many insurance companies started covering it when they find out nothing else helps. Good Luck.

@ Gloria. Whoo Hoo!!! Happy for you!!!

33. Sheryl
    Sheryl August 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

@Gina. Thank you for the response. I should have called 911, I just kept thinking it would pass, silly I know…won’t do that again! Endo has not taken me off the insulin yet as he would like to see 6mths of consistent normalized BS. As for seperating the 2 shots, my pharmacist suggested this. I’ve started with V this morning and will take the humulog n tonight. thanks again for the response – nice to know I’m not alone!

34. Judy Ieronimo
    Judy Ieronimo August 21, 2011 at 11:26 am | | Reply

I just started using Victoza. Thank You!. I feel great and after just three days my blood sugars are back down in normal range…and the added bonus is weight lose. I`ve tried for years to lose a few pounds…nothing works, until now.

35. Kay
    Kay August 22, 2011 at 12:08 pm | | Reply

I just got my lab results after 3 months on Victoza. My A1C went from 7.2 to 5.7 and I have lost 20 pounds. I feel better than I have in years. Never can I remember a time in my life when I was full and couldn’t eat another bite. My appetite has decreased dramatically and I don’t clean my plate as I always did before. It’s wonderful to know what it’s like to not always feel hungry!

36. Kay
    Kay August 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm | | Reply

In addition to my great A1C results, all my cholesterol levels were wonderful.

37. Katy
    Katy August 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm | | Reply

Been on V since 7/7/11…as of right now the only good results are a 15 pound weight loss which happened the first two weeks when I couldn’t eat. A1C is actually higher….went to diabetic educator yesterday. Still taking V even though she doesn’t think it will work for me…:-( I have been diagnosed Type II for 13 years now. I have severe insulin resistance. On Levimir, Novolog with meals, Metformin and added Actos back yesterday. VERY frustrated….interestingly though towards the end of the visit, I was talking to her about the needle size (1/2″) that I was using. She thinks this may have been my problem. I switched needles last night and I am seeing better results in just one day. I am SOOOOO hoping that this is the culprit. Otherwise I am going to have to take massive amounts of insulin. My number ratio was 1 carb: 3U insulin…do you realize how much that is per meal????? Please say prayers that the needle changes is the answer….Thanks!!!

38. Kay
    Kay August 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm | | Reply

Katy, I’m praying for you. Your post made me check the Victoza site for the correct needle size. I have had such wonderful results with Victoza and I pray that you will, too.

39. MED
    MED August 27, 2011 at 7:09 am | | Reply

Re: Katy and Kay — I’m confused, what does needle size have to do with it all?

40. Katy
    Katy August 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm | | Reply

In answer to the needle size question….IF the needle is too long then it goes in too far and isn’t absorbed the way it’s supposed to. Since I have switched to shorter needles I have been getting better results. Good enough? NO!!!! Still on V although my medical team don’t really think it’s working… we shall see!!!

41. Teresa Marousek
    Teresa Marousek August 28, 2011 at 7:42 am | | Reply

I started taking victoza about a week ago. I have been experiencing severe nausa, dirreaha, bleching of rotten eggs and vomiting. I am going to stop taking it. I can honestly say that if that stuff goes away I would be happy. Blood sugars have been the lowest since who knows when. Any suggestions on how to control the symptoms that I am having?

42. Lisa
    Lisa August 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm | | Reply

Went to PCP Friday had labs a week prior. Have been on V for 3mths. A1C down to 6.2 from 8.9. Glucose was 92. My #’s have been running from 43 to about 112. I think the endo will need to decrease my Humalog 70/25 some when I go to him in September. I have a question for all you V users. My cholesterol and tryglycerides seem to be climbing though I barely eat and am having great result with Victoza. Has anyone elses cholesterol and triglycerides rising while using Victoza. I surely don’t want to start another pill. Please advise and God Bless You All.

43. gosouthmom
    gosouthmom August 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm | | Reply

@Teresa: I had the same issues, ginger tea just worked wonders (tastes a bit nasty, but it really works miracles, I tried everything else…)
    As soon as my body got used to the dossage I was fine. Also check your carb intake, if you eat rich in carbs the side effects increase.
    I lost almost 20 pounds since 6 weeks, yeay, this alone was worth every bit of the side effects….

44. brycie
    brycie August 29, 2011 at 10:39 am | | Reply

__Teresa- quite a few of us had the same issues- took a few weeks to approx month to fade. Personally I have found that increasing my dose by a few clicks at a time instead of going directly to perscribed dose has helped dramatically. (even though my doc says it shouldn’t matter) – the symptoms do fade away. and as gosouthmom said the more you eat or the richer foods you eat / the side effects are worse. I’ll never forget eatting at chinese buffet then the hour drive home with severe pains and gas. I got relief with peppermints.

__ Holly – did you get thru the hurricane OK ?? haven’t seen you on here in awhile. severe heat in NY finally ended and back to normal. Hope all is well.

__Lisa- last month my trigs were up also ?? why as usually they are great. Of course couldn’t remember if I had eaten beef in wk prior to lab draw. Will have to pay attention next time.

45. Gina
    Gina August 30, 2011 at 11:07 am | | Reply

@ Kay and Lisa, My trigs were very high at 225, I tried Plus Forward Daily Regimen it is a multi vitamin plus Omega 3 and 6 and Phytonutrients w/ cinnamon for diabetics, From DrWhitaker.com site. My trigs went to 130 in 1 month. 3 months off them to see if they work b/c don’t want to spend money if not needed. They were again high 255. Dr.Whitaker came out with a new one – Cholesterol Essentials. I have ordered that one too.

I am looking into other Wholestic choices b/c my Endo said that I now can start to lower my V dosage. from 1.8 to 1.2 and test my sugar to see if it stays good. 6 months A1C still at 5.8 .

When I told my Doctor about the Omega 3 & 6′s he said Yes, they do work to lower your cholesterol. REALLY!!! Why don’t they tell us that when we go see them!! Do we really have to research other avenues by ourselves!

Well, I will let you know what my next 3 months test show. Also, my white blood count 3 months ago was 274m should be btw 140m – 400m. So my Doc said Wow, outstanding. My 6 mos test show 139m low! Did anyone else get that result? Doc needs to look into why it went so low.

@ Sheryl Still don’t understand why your Doctor is not taking you off very thing else especially when your sugar becomes so low and you get a reaction with both meds. I think you need a 2nd opinion or explain to him the bad eposides you are having. V is suppose to help you and if you are taking other meds I feel you are risking your life with it.

@ Lisa 43 is VERY DANGEROUS. Don’t wait until you see your Endo is Sept. Call him and explain your levels and ask him can I cut out my other meds all together or lower them? V is working for you and you have too many meds that are affecting your health.

Good Luck everyone. I am going to start lowering my V and try Drwhitaker products b/c he deals with diabetics. I didn’t find him before V .

46. Dominique C
    Dominique C September 1, 2011 at 6:25 am | | Reply

Been on Victoza a little over 2 weeks now, the nausea, dizziness i experienced in the beginning was ridiculous however i seemed to overlook it as soon as I saw my BSG go down, even fasting sugar was at 99-100. I haven’t seen that in years! Appetite has definitely diminished and I actually have an alarm set to eat my meals because i truly do not get hungry. Lost 7 lbs so far. Nausea relief after 1 week. Only draw back is its not on my insurance plan, in fact with prexisting conditions I only have a BCBS discount plan and with that the cost is still over $500, so far my doc is giving me samples. Pre-exisinting conditions = no insurance :( great to be an American!

47. brycie
    brycie September 1, 2011 at 8:09 am | | Reply

Dominique- your Doctor should have a discount card he/she can give you this drops the cost down to approx 25$ /month for a yr. If they don’t have this ask them to contact the Drug rep for you to obtain this card.

48. lou k
    lou k September 1, 2011 at 11:11 am | | Reply

I was doing very well on Victoza until I started using a new box of pens.
    They were delivered to me by my mail order pharmacy on a very hot day in July and they sat on my front porch for 8 hrs. The ice packs they sent them in had completely defrosted. The Victoza was sightly cool. Now I
    started using these pens & my morning readings are 150 to 235 (They were 80 to 125) Of course the mail order pharmacy said the pens are still good and will not replace them. Anyone have similar experiences?
    I have a new prescription but really hate to waste 6 pens and my money.
    MD told me to go up to 1.8 but it hasn’t helped. Could it be my system has become immune to Victoza? Anyone else see higher #’s the longer you are on Victoza?

49. Kay
    Kay September 1, 2011 at 11:22 am | | Reply

Dominique, Wal-mart in AR has it for $440. Plus my Dr. gave me a coupon to take a small amount off. But, I have insurance and it covers most of the amount. But ask yours about a victoza discount card.

50. LynneH
    LynneH September 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | | Reply

Dominique- My insurance denied it so I have to try
    Byetta first for a month to see if it doesn’t work as well-when I first went to pick up my Rx from Walmart and handed them the discount card, they then told me that my insurance did not approve my Rx, so having the discount card didn’t make any difference as the cost of one pen was over $450.00-so, I will find out probably this month is I am able to get it approved by my insurance-did your insurance company change? because if you didn’t switch insurance companies, i don’t understand how they can say you were denied for a pre-existing condition. I have an HMO and I don’t understand how someone that doesn’t know me or ever saw me can overide my doctor! Are there any other options for you with your insurance?