1,264 Responses

1. Margaret
    Margaret July 11, 2011 at 7:30 am | | Reply

I started taking Victoza on February 21st…I went to the doctor on Friday and she said, “Do you realize you have lost almost 50 lbs in 4 months?” In reality, I did know I was losing but wasn’t looking at the total. I have been looking at the number and just watching it go down a pound at a time. Yes, I had all the same discomforts as everyone else, but worked through them. Within the first week or two, my sugar levels came down to normal. Now I have another problem. My sugar levels are going too low. The doctor did all my labs and told me to stop my metformin until we get the labs back today. I have totally felt better not taking the metformin. So I am waiting for a call from my doctor now. Victoza has been great for me. I saw it as a tool to help me to get to where I needed to be. I changed my eating habits and lifestyle. To me it has been like having gastric bypass without the surgery, but at some point self-discipline has to kick in. Otherwise, like with surgery if you don’t have self-control, you are just gonna put it back on.

2. Nancy
    Nancy July 11, 2011 at 8:41 am | | Reply

I just read this blog for the first time…I’ve been on Victoza for almost 2 months, and am thrilled with the weight loss! So is my husband….one issue that I haven’t seen is more rapid heartrate, and and pounding heartbeat. Those are the side effects that I’m dealing with. No nausea to speak of, some constipation (ugh!!), but the heartrate and pounding heartbeat are kind of scary. I came across a patient information flyer from Canada, and they list these side effects. Interesting that there is nothing in the American literature. Apparently it can cause heart arrythmia’s (spelling?), which could be dangerous. Anybody else out there? I guess this can be partially caused by blood pressure meds, of which I take 4 every day.

3. Donna
    Donna July 11, 2011 at 9:16 am | | Reply

Hello all its been awhile since my last blog. Like most of you V caused the nausea and curb my appetite and I lost a few pounds. The nausea went away my appetitie at times has started to creep towards the old way, I’ve in the past couple of days started craving and eating more of the wrong days, I think mostly because the V has worked well in controlling my blood sugars, I figured why not go for it since the V will keep it under controll and then I feel guilty for overeating the things that got me here in the first place. I feel I’ve gain the few pounds back that I lost or as someone mentioned maybe its the Actos (?). I got to my endo next month and I’m anxietous to see what my A1C is hopefully down from the 12.6 it was back in April. I’m still curious about the few who speak about increasing their dosage, are you doing this on your own or under doctor’s supervison, I’m taking 1.2 and its working for me. I want to thank all of you who write on this site, it has helped me a whole lot to know I’m really not alone in my fight with Diabieties. My vision is still the same and I see my opt. next week. My blessing to you all.

4. Jaime
    Jaime July 11, 2011 at 10:27 am | | Reply

Nancy, I had a similar situation. My new endo put me on Victoza a few months ago. After starting V, I noticed that my resting heart rate rose by 20-30 beats. It made uncomfortable and jittery. Ironically, the arrhythmia was the only serious side effect for me. I was losing weight, dosing less insulin, and the gls were decreasing and stabilizing. Seemed like the miracle drug! Didn’t even have a problem with the insurance coverage. I do have cardio issues and take meds for hypertension. The endo said there were no documented heart issues with V but agreed I could opt out. My cardiologist actually prescribed a pill to counteract the faster heart rate(Really??? Meds causing a need for more meds???). My primary doc ordered me off V, indicating that V was a new drug and that not all side effects are known. Sure enough, very soon after I stopped Victoza, my heart rate returned to pre-V levels. I eventually filed an online report with the FDA about my experience with Victoza. Even though I no longer take V, I still read these blogs because I wanted to share my thoughts with others, like yourself, with similar experiences. I noticed that many posters are reporting a wide range of side effects while under V. Also, the FDA has very recently issued a new warning about Victoza involving thyroid tumors and pancreatis. It seems that Victoza should undergo further testing. It’s possible that the groups tested didn’t include people with blood pressure/ heart problems. Nancy, I suggest that you get off Victoza and seek a safer path to better diabetic management.

5. Margaret
    Margaret July 11, 2011 at 11:37 am | | Reply

Well, I got the call from the doctors office. My A1C was down from 8.5 to 6.1 in four months!

6. lynne h.
    lynne h. July 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

I have been given 4 sample pens of Victoza-my insurance has denied my prescription until I try Byetta-anyone have any info on the difference of these two? I am really bummed out-Victoza has been working great.

7. holly nelson
    holly nelson July 11, 2011 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

Hey Lynne H,

yes I talked to my doctor about Byetta before I went on Victoza. He said that Victoza is the better version of Byetta and the shot is once a day instead of twice a day. My pharmacy says that Byetta is the Brother to Victoza. So I guess they have the same make-up but Victoza is just a little better.

8. Sue
    Sue July 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm | | Reply

This is off the subject of Victozia…..has anyone experienced patches of dry skin on their face since being diagnosed with diabetes? I’m trying to pinpoint if it is from being diabetic, starting up Victozia or what is causing this. Little patches of very dry, flaky skin on my face – any suggestions what to use for it. I’ve tried 100′s of moisturizers, oil, neosporin and don’t use soap or hot water…..they are not red or itchy.

9. MED
    MED July 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | | Reply

6 month checkup returns (have been on V since October 2010 – 9 months). A1C is down to 6.1, weight loss is 30 pounds and has been holding steady there since Dec/Jan, triglycerides are still a little high at 159 and good cholesterol is still way low at 34. Otherwise, all numbers are within normal ranges – YAY! Going back on Crestor again, tho it didn’t work the first time, to try and up the HDL (good cholesterol).

I would like to lose another 30-50 pounds and go off V and Metformin completely, so we are trying an experiment for the next few weeks. Although my numbers are all great at .6 dosage, the doc and I want to see if going up to the 1.2 dose will will kick start the weight loss again. We are giving it one or two weeks, if nothing then I go back to .6, but if it works I’ll stay on 1.2 till the weight loss levels off again and then go back to the .6 dose, and then wean off it all together. I’m one of those few that can diet and exercise, and never lose weight – it does keep me from gaining but when I do gain weight my body hangs on to the fat for dear life. V was the first drug to actually help me start losing weight.

I’m not one for taking more meds than needed, but for a two week trial it may be worth it. If I can lose the 30 pounds then I stand a very good chance of going off both V and Metformin. Two theories of thought here – 1) the body will have adjusted to working normally again and will not need the V as long as the diet and exercise hold at a decent weight; or 2) The body will be dependent upon V and even with weight loss and diet, blood sugars will rise again. I really wish Novo Nordisk would do some “after the V” studies so we could make some informed decisions!

Anybody here see themselves getting off Victoza, or will you remain on it indefinitely even if numbers are in the normal range and weight is under control?

10. msmith
    msmith July 12, 2011 at 9:11 am | | Reply

My doctor just prescribed this for me. She’s taking me off Byetta, and putting me on this. The Byetta didn’t seem to be doing much for me, so I’m hopeful this will make a difference.

I’m a little worried about the cancer side effect, but I figure I can at least try it for a while.

11. shauna
    shauna July 12, 2011 at 10:45 am | | Reply

This thread is great, really helpful in so many ways. I’ve read everything so I feel like I should add my story: I’m female, 42, about 60 pounds overweight, pre-diabetic and insulin resistant. I take Crestor and Metformin (500mg extended release, once per day) and I exercise moderately. My primary care doc (who happens to be diabetic) recommended that I go to an endocrinologist before the pre-diabetes becomes full-blown.

Endo put me on V a month ago. I did a week at .6 and then went up to 1.2. My appetite was cut in half (or more). I simply could not eat, it was the weirdest thing. Never in my life have I been unable to eat. Ever. I’m always the person who can eat one more piece, one more serving, etc. Not on V. Every day I had a sort of low-grade nausea. Once I had middle-of-the-light diarrhea, once I actually woke up in the middle of the night to vomit. Which is something I never do. Other than that, no side effects like I’ve read about here.

After three weeks total (1 pen — the freebie the endo gave me), I went back to the doc, learned I had lost 8 pounds (in 3 weeks!), and got a prescription for more. Doc told me I could take less than 1.2 in order to stave off nausea, so now i take a few clicks less than 1.2. No nausea, still a diminished appetite (though not as much as on 1.2 it seems). I don’t test my blood sugar so I can’t say how my numbers are, but I feel so much better. In addition to the weight loss — which I can’t believe is only 8 pounds, considering how much better I feel and how much bigger my clothes are — I also feel less hot and sweaty. It’s hard to describe but I just feel better all around.

Some interesting tidbits my endo told me: I can skip days of V. For example, I have a bunch of travel coming up and I don’t really want to feel nauseas while on a plane. So he told me I could just not take it on those days. He also said he has some patients who only take V 3 times a week. He also said I don’t have to change needles every day, as long as I keep everything clean. He said I could use a single needle for as long as a week if necessary. Since this is my first injectible drug I have no idea if that’s common but that’s what he said.

Here’s a question for the group: Like I said, I have travel coming up and will be flying for the first time since starting this medication. How do you all travel with your pens? How do you keep them cold? I’ll have a refrigerator in my hotel room but I’m wondering about the actual time spent in transit (which will be nearly a full day). Any hassle from TSA? Any tips to share?

And thank you all for being so generous with your experiences. It really makes a difference!

12. MED
    MED July 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm | | Reply

@Shauna – TRAVEL TIPS – Traveling with the pen is easy. I travel extensively for my job and have never had an issue through security. I always carry it on the plane with me – as I do most of my meds. I bought a ‘FRIO’ to keep it cold. Its a fabric pouch filled with gel beads. When soaked in ice water it will keep your pen(s) cold for at least 12 hours. Just do an internet search for FRIO cooling products.

To take on the plane I put the Frio in an open ziploc baggie sandwich bag – don’t seal as the fabric needs to breathe. Then when going through security I take it out of my purse and set it in the scanner tub where they can see it go through. Also do the same for my needles and meds – all go into another ziploc baggie and they are all side by side for them to see. I have never had a single question about any of it as long as it’s in baggies and can be seen. One time I forgot and left it in my purse, they just asked that I remove it so they could see it.

If you can’t get a FRIO or something similar before you leave, take it to the airport in a baggie. Put that baggie in a bigger one with some ice. When you get to the airport dump the ice. Go through security, then get a cup of ice on the other side from one of the restaurants. Put the ice back into the larger baggy and your pen which is in the smaller baggy inside with the ice. You will need to zip everything shut so you don’t end up with a wet travel bag.

If the hotel doesn’t have a fridge (it does happen more than I can say!) then just use their ice bucket and fill with ice – keep your pen in there. Easy enough to keep the bucket filled – just take baggies along to put the pen in so it’s not sitting in melted ice water.

For my pills, I use a weekly pill box and prefill with my meds. On the back side I write what meds are in and at what dosage. That way I don’t carry pill bottles that take up so much space.

@Sue – yes!! I have had dry patches even in my eyebrows! My skin was so dry it would just crack open and bleed if I scratched an itch. Doc put me on Vitamin D which has helped. I still get dry patches every so often, but not as bad and they clear up within a few days with a cream lotion.

13. shauna
    shauna July 13, 2011 at 6:31 am | | Reply

@MED Thank you for the travel tips!

14. Gina
    Gina July 13, 2011 at 10:35 am | | Reply

@ Shauna, Travel tips. 1st V that you are not using should be refrig. but not that it freezes. The one you are using can be a room temperature for up to 30 days. 1 V pen last me 10 – 11 days. When I went on a plane, I just carried my V pen in my bag and got my Docs to write on his prescription pad that I needed the V. My needles went into my luggage. I don’t take any other meds. Didn’t have a problem. as for 1 needle a week. I change my needle everyday. I feel it is so thin and if it bends etc. it won’t go in right. 2nd insurance is good and I might as well take advantage of it and be on the safe side also. If you are going to be in the sun, make sure you put on extra sun screen protection. Earlier posts have warned about sunburn. So, I stayed covered on my vacation and I still got very red. almost burned. So , be careful.
    For dry skin, I use Proactive green tea face cream. It is soo silky smooth and doesn’t make my face oily or get pimples like the others I have tried. It is a very small bottle but, I only use about a dimes size so, it last for about 3 months.
    About everyone asking about the dosages. My doc told me I needed to take 1.8ml for V to work good. But, now I have read on these post that some are taking at a lower dose and it works. I feel that if it works at a lower dose than that’s great b/c that was what you were looking for anyway. Since V helps produce the hormone needed to make insulin than you go with what your own body needs. I don’t know if it would of worked for me being on a less dosage since my doc didn’t say anything about it.
    I go see my endo Aug 24, so, I’ll see what he says. And about losing weight. Yes, I did go on V to lose V. I am also, one of those people who exercises and eat properly and doesn’t lose any weight. I wanted to control my Diabetes and lose weight as I was told diabetes doesn’t make your cell open up and take he fat out etc. So, I thought V would help with both. Well, 1st 3 months AC1 7.5 to 5.7 great. but, now I see my sugar going higher and waking up with 120-127. Just like before. So, I will write everything I eat down and test all the time so, I can ask my doc, WTF is going on. Sorry, but V was my last chance to lose weight. not a binge eater etc.
    So, good luck everyone. If you are losing weight, try to exercise to lose as much as you can bf it stops. Check out Turbo Jam on the internet. Love it, When I told my family Doc how much I weighed he didn’t believe me, he thought I was way less. I wish. Need to lose the fat around my stomach then I will be fine. He says I am doing everything right but, that doesn’t make me feel any better. Was in good shape bf my 3rd child. 20 years ago. Never lost a pound since! not good.
    well take care, I am doing Turbo Fire HIIT will let you know if it works. It seems too hard. I think it’s for the ones that are fit already and want to lose the last few pounds. so, I’ll see, I always have Turbo Jam to go back to. It has toned me up and gave me strength.
    Anyone not losing weight? What did the Doc says?
    bye for now.

15. Karen
    Karen July 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

Day 4 of using Victoza. I hope to stay at the .6mg dose for at least a couple of weeks. The main SE I notice are slight nausea and diarrhea. I already sweat frequently-especially around my head and neck. I have not experienced a headache (yay!). I am eating less calories than before, but not drastically so. I have been taking my blood sugars on a regular basis and have already had to cut back on my apidra (fast acting insulin) to prevent low blood sugars. I have not noticed dry patches of skin-but I have been a diabetic for 18 years and my skin is dry in general (normal for diabetics). I had arrythmias before and rapid heart rate-80-120bpm, so I have not noticed a change there. I do know that keeping my sugars controlled tightly and reducing my weight/blood pressure has to do my body a great deal of good. My opinion is that there are none to few ‘safe’ medications out there. I was a fen-phen young mother and that was very scary later. I read the information about victoza and made a conscious decision to take it. I would not presume to try to convince anyone else to do so. That’s why I enjoy the discussion here-it helps me see a bigger picture. I would imagine that if the victoza remains effective in stabilizing my blood sugars and allows me to reduce other meds, I would choose to stay on it indefinitely. Did I read somewhere that there was a possibility of an oral form down the road?

16. Nancy
    Nancy July 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm | | Reply

Jaime, thanks for your post! It’s good to know I’m not alone. The heartbeat side effect is considered “uncommon,” not sure exactly what that means, but I discussed it with the Diabetes Care Center (University of Washington, they’re great) phamacologist, and she said that I should get off of it for at least a week, and let her know if the increased heartrate/pounding heartbeat issues go away. It’s unfortunate, since I’ve lost almost 15 pounds now, but ironic, since my doc put me on Victoza to help me lose weight, which would help my heart be more healthy! The phamacologist had never heard of this side effect, although apparently the Canadians had….it’s in their consumer literature. Well, now they know!

17. Karen
    Karen July 14, 2011 at 9:02 am | | Reply

Las t night I made a mistake. I stayed up late reading a book and decided to have a few black pepper peanut oil potato chips. Ugh. The rest of the night I burped and passed gas. And felt uncomfortable. Lesson learned. I am hoping that either peppermint tea or peppermint sugar-free gum will help make my tummy happy again. I know that others get the burps too-any ideas?

18. Carol We
    Carol We July 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

Hi – just an update – I have been on V for 2 1/2 weeks now and my blood sugar is so much better than it was on byetta. Also I am very lucky to have had NO nausea and no belly pain and in general feel good. others have said they are constipated. I used to have severe problems with afternoon diarrhea — kind of irritable colon after lunch — and this has disappeared like magic. All “normal” now. I have lost about 4-5 pounds without trying very hard. ……about keeping the pens cold. I was told that the pen you are currently using need not be kept refrigerated….keep any unused pens cold. Just don’t subject your pen to extremes of cold or heat (don’t leave it in the car.) …..about re-using needles, each time you re-use you damage the tip a tiny bit so after a couple days the shot might hurt more. I have been an RN for 35+ years and I would only re-use one time each needle. If you can afford it, do not re-use. Keeping needles clean is hard because the bacteria that might grow is microscopic and you can’t wash needles the way you can, for example, a catheter. …This list is wonderful, and I love hearing from everybody. TTFN! (Ta ta for now!). Carol We

19. gosouthmom
    gosouthmom July 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

It was my 3rd day today,besides the sulfur burping no side effects any ideas how to reduce that? Also I find it hard with a low carb diet, since I use a lot of beans instead of meat, since I don’t want to cook with meat every day, any suggestions or helpful sites, thanks so much !!!!

20. Lisa S
    Lisa S July 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm | | Reply

Hi everyone. I am new to the V family. Started V 4 weeks ago by endo. He kept me on 0.6 for 4 weeks. No weight loss. Very nauseated. BS’s much better. Have been on 1.2 now for six days. So nauseated. Threw up three times on the way to work. Still don’t think I have lost any weight and I really need to as I am 100+ pounds overweight. BS’s are so fantastic! I am waiting to hear from endo right now as I am supposed to move up today to 1.8. Don’t know if I can tolerate anoither week or so of being deathly nauseated and throwing up or not. Just was able to eat a little meal yesterday. Has anyone else experienced no weight loss. What did you do? I really like the effects it has on my BS’s and would like to keep taking it. I have been able to decrease my insulin. By the way new to the insulin world too. I don’t like it at all. I feel like I have lost the battle and now the end result – insulin -. Maybe it just has me feeling a little down but I still don’t like it and all the finger sticks. Love reading the advice and experiences of other V users. Hang in there everybody and keep the faith!!

21. Sue
    Sue July 19, 2011 at 3:53 am | | Reply

Lisa S – it was interesting what you said about insulin being the “end result”. I went to a support group after being diagnosed with Type 2, and the educator (an RN+) explained that going to injectible insulin was very natural because it’s what our bodies produce any way. vs pills being chemical and unnatural. I always thought that insulin was terrible until I heard it explained that way. I’ve been on the V (which btw is not insulin) for about a year and never got any bad reactions and sometimes I can hardly believe the scale in the morning — the pounds are coming off and I’m not really eating that “great”. I’m going to check with my doctor to see how long people stay on this medicine – I’m a little leary because there have not been any long-term studies being that the drug is so new.

22. Katy
    Katy July 19, 2011 at 5:19 am | | Reply

Started on V, 7/7/11. I was currently on Novolog 40units AC, Levimir 60 units HS and Metformin 1000mg daily with BS still in the 200′s. I was not compliant with my diet or exercise. I am now on the 1.2, tolerable side effects, but still no changes in my BS…I have lowered the Novolog to 20U AC with no elevations of BS, soooooo I guess it’s working. I am eating “right ” now and exercising daily. I am just READY for some decent numbers. Help!!!

23. brycie
    brycie July 19, 2011 at 7:58 am | | Reply

Carol We– re: keeping the pens cold – My Doc told me that the pen maybe kept out of fridge for up to 8 hrs but no extreme heat – otherwise keep in fridge – wouldn’t want to risk damaging the med or changing the chemical components of it. easy to carry a cooler if need to take it with you. I also am a nurse 26 yrs. Have been on V since feb – was dx pre diabetic last year and on metformin with no effects – V has lowered my A1C to low norm and feel great – but lost 10# initially with no further loss could use to lose 60# +. The side effects all wore off – when they got too much I backed down the dose a few clicks til bearable and re upped after. this seemed to work well for me. Doc told me to try this — very happy with my numbers but wish wgt would continue to decrease – I try to eat right and exercise- exercise is tough to work into sched this time of year as we are farmers and work farm sun up to sun down with my job in the middle — you would think unloading straw in this heat would count as exercise… Enjoy following this thread keep posting all -

24. holly nelson
    holly nelson July 19, 2011 at 9:02 am | | Reply

Brycie…. Big NO for keeping the pen you are currently using in the fridge!!!!!!!!! The ONLY pens you keep in the fridge are the ones you are waiting to use!!!! Every body seems to be confused on how to use the pens… Just got off the phone with the pharmacy.This is what they said…..

The pen you use everyday stays out of the fridge. You keep it with you. It stays at room temp…. dont leave it in your car keep it on you. The rest of the pens stay in the fridge until you get ready to use them…

25. brycie
    brycie July 19, 2011 at 9:52 am | | Reply

Holly – now I am confused – I was going on what my Doc said – but you made me rethink it and I looked it up on the V web site and they said either way as long as the pen you are using stays within the temp range of 36-86 degrees F – Right now we are running in the 90′s so I’m going to keep in fridge til it cools down -(we don’t have AC )- will definately re discuss with my doc – Again thank you for your reponse and making me double check myself

26. holly nelson
    holly nelson July 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm | | Reply

Brycie,

No A/C !!!! I live in Savannah Georgia and we would just die !!!! Summers here are no joke !!! I keep my pen with me all the time so it is always in the A/C. I have not had a problem yet. Besides I cant imagine shooting cold medicine in my stomach. I think that would kinda hurt :) But I do see why you keep yours in the fridge..

27. Maryann
    Maryann July 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

I was wondering if anyone heard how long does V keep you appetite under control?

28. Gina
    Gina July 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

I have received phamplets from V Company. It does tell you to get the pen you are using at room temperature. I leave mine in my bedroom on my makeup table so, every morning I don’t forget to use it. I don’t take it with me b/c I only use it once a day. My house has a/c. My pen stays clean by always keeping the cap on when not in use and change the needle after each use.
    @ Lisa S. as I have read in other post those who were sick by the V took lower dosages until the side effects stopped. Some went up a click or two until they met there required amount. But, I also learned from this site that some are being helped by lower dosages. I didn’t know about this so I use the 1.8ml amount. But, I do feel if a lower dose is working than that is what u need. I should of taken my blood ct and stopped when it was good. but, now I will have to wait and see how it is doing and see if I can lower it. Aug 24, I see my endo.
    About, losing weight ha, ha, ha! I am 50 lbs over weight. In 20 years never lost a pound even thou I exercise. I the past 4 years I lost 4 inches every where but no weight. On V, first week I gained 6 lbs! 4 months later I just lost 4 lbs. probably water! but, my doc says it can take up to 3 months or so for V to get you to lose weight. So, I’m here waiting. My #’s are good but, I am stuck at my weight. I hope it works for you.
    Also, I like reading that most of you are getting off of so many other meds. That’s the goal getting off all meds work with V and hopefully we can lower our dosage of V in the future.
    Read other post, they do give great ideas and some facts that our Doctors don’t know and should!
    Well, good luck everyone.

29. RL
    RL July 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm | | Reply

Thanks for all the posts! started V on 6/25/11. BS @ 180. 1 shot dropped to 158. lowest BS @ 6/30, 122. AVG. BS-AM 140-160. Lost 7 lbs. Shot @ .06.
    Also, BP has stablized to normal. Also, take 10mg. Altace. Samoan/white male, age 55, hgt. 6-0, wgt. currently 227. Doc says get to 200 lbs. you can get-off meds. Polynesians typically run all numbers high. Doc says no excuse. Still drink beer, which could be my curse! Have learned that once I take the shot, it kills my appetite. So, if I inject @ 6 pm I am able to get through those tough hours of snacking. Remember what Oprah says, “don’t eat after 6″. :) keep you posted.

30. Lou
    Lou July 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm | | Reply

Hi! I just went to my Endo today because my blood sugars have been about 200 the last 3 weeks rather than 100-165 in the morning. He asked if I kept my Victosa in the frig. I told him I kept the one I wasn’t using in the frig and the other one I used on the counter. This is what I thought I was taught by the dietician. He said I misunderstood. ALL VICTOSA PENS ARE SUPPOSED TO STAY IN THE FRIG and I can take one out for short periods of time, especially in this weather 70-90 degrees. He said my Victosa probably went bad even though I have air conditioning and fans so he told me to throw it out and he prescribed a new one. I hope this works. I have loved having my blood sugars lower. Pray that the new Victosa pen works to bring down my blood sugar again. I have liked it so much. It is so important to me. I feel like doing so much more!

31. Michele
    Michele July 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm | | Reply

I was put on V in April of this year and I LOVE it!!! I was unable to take the Met due to the ugly side effects. Just couldn’t tolerate it. Tried Byetta and it seemed to work ok but only for a short time and BG’s were still elevated. Also had a local skin reaction at the injection site. Finally, after watching my sugars skyrocket I went to my Endo ready for him to put me on insulin. I had about 30 -35 lbs to lose. He asked me to try V and I am sooooo glad I did. I have lost 14 lbs and my sugars are great. A1C in April was 7.9 and last week it was 5.4. I am thrilled but I do have a question and hoping someone has an answer for me. I am still not as hungry as I was before starting the V but I am starting to feel like some of the weight loss side effects are not where they were when I started. Is this common with V? I know Byetta works great for a few months and then people tend to not get as much benefit after a while. Hoping that is not the case since I have done really well on it but was loving the fact that I wasn’t hungry ALL the time. Does the body get used to it and not have the same effect? I am on the 1.8 already. Also, I am finding that I am hungrier at lunch time but by dinner, I just don’t care about eating. I am taking the meds in the morning before breakfast.

32. Karen
    Karen July 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm | | Reply

Thanks everyone for all the information. It is day 11 for me on Victoza, Everytime someone calls it V I think of True Blood. So far it has worked well for me-I haven’t had nausea since the first couple of days. I called my blood sugars into the doctor’s office today and am waiting to hear back as to how long I will be at the starting dose of .6mg. I am eating quite abit less and have reduced my regular insulin by 10U daily and my Lantus by 10U with much better sugars. My A1c was up to 8 and I want to get it down to 6. I have been taking my BS 3-6x daily and one of the things I find really interesting is that I am much less symptomatic with lower BS. I had one at 89 and I felt great! As long as they don’t go too low….And I have dropped 5lbs. I am sure some of that is water. Right now I am injecting the Victoza late morning so that it will hold thru the danger hours of 7-12pm. Hope everyone else is doing well.

33. Katy
    Katy July 20, 2011 at 6:05 pm | | Reply

I have been on V for 14 days…tomorrow I increase to 1.8. Honestly, I’m a bit leary of increasing the dose. The last few days, I have felt so sick, no vomiting, but just “yucky.” I am not seeing the good numbers yet for my BS. However, I have lost 14 lbs due to not being hungry at all. I take my shot around 4:30-5pm. I do not have the night snack cravings that I’ve had before. I am seeing from all the other comments that there is some confusion about “in the fridge” or “not.” Currently, mine sits out on my counter, but it is in 78 degree temps! Keep the comments coming. They are very helpful!!!!

34. shauna
    shauna July 20, 2011 at 10:59 pm | | Reply

All of a sudden I’m starting to get nasty bruises fron injecting V. They don’t hurt at all — in fact I don’t even notice them until I see them in the morror at the end of the day (I inject in the morning). Any idea why this would be happening? For the first month I was on V I had no bruising whatsoever. Now I’m getting a bruise like every other day. It looks awful!

35. Sue
    Sue July 21, 2011 at 4:00 am | | Reply

Hi all, I’m confused —surfing the web I saw a comment about “don’t take V while on insulin” while other comments say: “V has not been tested combined with insulin”. Anybody else out there on both V and insulin…..like me??

36. Lisa S
    Lisa S July 21, 2011 at 5:26 am | | Reply

Sue, I take insulin and V. In fact I have been able to decrease my insulin 15 units in am and 15 in pm. BS levels have been great. Today is third day since increasing V to 1.8 very nauseated but have not thrown up yet. Please somebody tell me this is going to work and I will get to decrease insulin even more and lose some weight. Hope it is not like Byetta and a short fix. Does anyone know if the effects last as long as we take it or does your body get acclamated to it and the usefulness wears off? My wish is that we get good service from it no matter how long we take it. God Bless you V family and keep the faith.

37. Lisa S
    Lisa S July 21, 2011 at 6:17 am | | Reply

Sue-I take V along with my insulin. In fact I have been able to come down 15 units of the morning and 15 units in the PM of my insulin. Just increased my V to 1.8 Tuesday evening. I take mine around 5 to 5:30 PM. I am nauseated but if it doesn’t get any worse I should be able to handle it. Haven’t thrown up. Does anyone know about long-range V usage? Does the V work as long as you take it or does your body get acclamated to it and it no longer has the same effects over a certain time frame? My wish is for it to work as long as I take it. I need good BS #’s and really really need to lose weight. Did I mention the first four weeks I ate practically nothing and gained 3 – 4 pounds dosage at 0.6.

38. holly nelson
    holly nelson July 21, 2011 at 6:40 am | | Reply

Hey Katy :)

Go to the 1.8 like you are supposed to. Remember, I told you the first 4 months are the worst..but once you get passed that things are pretty great. I still get sick every now and then but I can live with that. The V has been a GOD send for me…Just hang in there and call me if you need me!!! Love ya Girl!!!

39. Gina
    Gina July 21, 2011 at 7:54 am | | Reply

@ Lou and Katy, I got a phamplet at the Doctors office and V sent me a phamplet. It says keep the one you are using at room temperature up to 86 degrees. others in fridg. My house is a consent 74. I freeze in the summer time b/c my family likes it cold. My son and I fight over the temperature.
    @ Lou, My sugar lately have gone up also. and I didn’t change my diet so, I wonder what’s going on . Aug 24, I take my A1C, I will see the results than.
    @ Shauna. We talked about this on previous posts. Suggestions everyone came up with are: 1. Buy the longer needles. they sell short one and longer ones. 2. (my suggestion) Once you insert the needle click it 3 x then hold for three continue until done. I found that inserting the liquid (med) slowly doesn’t make me black and blue. I tried the longer needles but I bruise anyway. I feel if the med comes out to quickly it can be absorbed under your skin giving you the bruise. 3. Inject it into your inner thigh. I tried that and got a bigger bruise and it hurt like hell. So, good luck.
    talk to everyone soon, gina

40. lou k
    lou k July 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm | | Reply

been on v since early Jan 2011 Have noticed my b/s going up have not
    changed diet or meds(1.2 of v) Also weight loss has stopped Md gave me ok to go up to 1.8 which I will start today. I keep all my v in refrig
    re-read instructions & it says below 86 or in refrig 36 to 57. I too have
    some bruising esp on thighs. Don’t know why. I use short needles & it
    really doesn’t hurt but I will get these big bruises. Still think v is worth
    the troubles. A1C is almost normal.

41. LynneH
    LynneH July 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm | | Reply

I have been reading about keeping V in the frig-my endo said to keep unopened pens in frig until using, then keep outside of the frig-on the pen itself it say “refrigerate before first use” It also says use within 30 days when it is out of the refreigerator.
    I also noticed that some injuct in the thigh and the instructions do say abdomen, thigh or arm. My endo said to enject anywhere on the front of the body from the upper abdomen to lower abdomen. I inject at the upper abdomen and am prone to easily brusing, but I have noticed the past few days I have these little red marks at the injection site.
    The first 2 weeks I could barely eat and lost 16 lbs. After that, it has become much slower and although I get full sooner, it has changed. I have to stay on track and continue the weight loss. My numbers have been great. My next appt with the endo is in Sept, by then I will be on V for 3 months. I would like to loose at least 30 lbs total by that time-so, having that goal will hopefully keep me on track-looking forward to seeing what my AC-1 will be.

42. Katy
    Katy July 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm | | Reply

I guess there are things that you CAN live through!!!! :-) I increased to 1.8 today. Beginning of my third week on V. Well, I FEEL AWFUL!!!! Thanks to my dear friend, Holly..I am NOT surprised by these symptoms. However, they are NOT pleasant. I am anxious to see if there are changes with the increased dose. I am seeing some weight loss, but not the low BS checks I so desire. Obviously, I am at an early stage of this process so I am trying to be a patient..patient!!! Good luck to all!!! I am wanting this to work so badly!! Would welcome any prayers to get through this lethargy, nausea and stomach pain tonight!!!!

43. Carol We
    Carol We July 22, 2011 at 6:27 am | | Reply

Hi all – I am so sorry you feel so sick, Katy—I am very lucky that I do not have the nausea I had on Byetta. However, I have been on V for nearly 4 weeks now and lost 0nly 4 lbs (the 1st week) — since then nothing. I feel like I am eating less, and by blood sugars are definitely better, but the weight loss just is not here. Go figure ——– Brycie, you seem to work so hard and in no AC too. I go to an office everyday! After reading what everyuone wrote and re-checking the V phamplet, I’m going to keep on refrigerating the unopened pens and keeping the currect pen out. Hope that it doesn’t “go bad.” Please keep posing everyone as I get a lot from this forum. Carol WE

44. med
    med July 22, 2011 at 6:34 am | | Reply

Update on the weight loss test – As posted in my last blog the doc upped my dosage to see if it would kick the weight loss back into gear as I need to lose another 30 pounds. I was at .6 which was working great on the blood sugar numbers and A1C, but the weight loss had stagnated. After a week and a half on 1.2 I’ve lost 5 pounds. That was in the first three days and no weight loss since then. No real change in my blood sugars either – a bit lower in the mornings now as I had been hovering about 100 before and am back down to the 80′s again. No bad side effects with the increase – no decrease in appetite either. Really no difference from .6 besides the 5 pounds lost and the lower daily testing numbers. My energy increases in the morning after the shot, but by 6 p.m. I am totally exhausted and need a nap – one of those if I don’t take a nap I will fall asleep wherever I am at type exhaustion’s. I worry about falling asleep while driving so have been trying to be home around that time and snooze on the couch – I’ve never felt that before so maybe I’ll switch to a noontime shot and see what changes. I am going to give it a few more weeks and see if weight goes down any more – I am happy even with only the 5 pounds as I finally got under that 200 pound mark!

I still see a lot of posts where folks up their dosage and get so sick. Remember folks – you can go back down and then slowly increase click by click. You don’t have to jump to the highest dose with only a week between increases. Talk to your doctor if you are so sick and request to increase slower. You’ll be on Victoza for a while, so a slow start isn’t going to hurt anything and may lessen the side effects. It also gives you more time to test your blood sugars to see if the current dose is working or not. The doctor can’t watch you daily and doesn’t know what you are going through – it’s up to you to make wise decisions and call the doc to discuss concerns. It’s his/her job to tell you yes or no and why.

Good luck everyone! Keep up the posts – It’s such a good support system going here and it sure helps to keep me on track!

45. Donna
    Donna July 22, 2011 at 8:35 am | | Reply

Hello everyone first I want to Thank you all for your post, they have been really helpful to me. Now to the good stuff the doctor put me on V the early part of this year and in the past as always I was not taking my meds as I should, well in April when I had my A1C checked it was 12.1 or so and the doctor suggested that I start on insulin, this scared me straight because of my job w/a commercial driver’s license I could not keep it and be on insulin. Well I got my butt on track, I started taking my meds as I should and along with the V it has helped me dramatically. I just had my A1C checked on 7/20 and it WAS 7.5 (YEAH). I’m doing much better, but at times I’m still a little fatigue and one blogger posted that it may be my B12, the ran the test for that on not sure what the numbers are. I go see my endo on 8/3 and I can’t wait to see his face when he sees my numbers. Thanks again everyone, but I still have one question I curious about, when people talk about adjusting the dosage for V, is it per your doctor I’m still confused on that one….Thanks Donna

46. Katy
    Katy July 22, 2011 at 11:17 am | | Reply

I see there are several comments about increasing your doses. I am increasing mine as directed by my MD. I started out on the typical .6, then the next week increased to 1.2 and now I am on the 1.8. Mind you, I have been on high amounts of insulin daily so we having to be a bit aggressive with the changes. I am still running 200+ all the time, but this is on half the amount of insulin. AND the MD said it would be three weeks before it becomes therapeutic. Yes the side effects were increased with the 1.8. I am trying to continue that dose for now to obtain lower BS checks…GOOD LUCK to all!!!!

47. wini
    wini July 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on victoza for 2 months. No side effects at first. It has brought my BS readings down to ~110. off all other medications. I love the drug, but….I’ve had 2 episodes of severe abdominal pain. It goes away, but it is unbearable. I don’t want to stop the victoza, so I think I’ll be decreasing the dosage back down to .6. I think it has to do with what I eat and how much. if I overeat or if what I eat is high fat, but i’m not sure.

48. Karen
    Karen July 26, 2011 at 8:11 pm | | Reply

Day 17 of Victoza. I called in my blood sugars a week ago and was told to continue the .6mg dosage until August 9 (1 month) and they will evaluate if I need to start the 1.2mg. My A1c was 7 when I started, I was taking regular insulin 12U 3x daily and Lantus 50U at bedtime and 500mg of Metformin twice a day. It has reduced my regular insulin by 10-15U daily and my Lantus by 10U daily. And I am much more attentive to taking my sugars 3=5x daily which is helping me stay on top of them. All in all my sugars are much much better. I have had 1 episode of a low blood sugar at 3am at 68. Talking about bruising I also bruise-but I use NSAIDS. I take Alleve every night at bedtime for arthritic pain. Are bruises a regular side effect?. Also for Wini-since pancreatitis is a serious possible side effect and is characterized by abdominal pain-should you check with your doctor?I have lost a few pounds and feel lucky that I have not had serious nausea. I realize that the weight loss part may be short term. Are people keeping off what they lose though? Blessings!

49. Katy
    Katy July 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

Ok, all you V users, HELP!!!! I have completed my third week of V. Last week increasing to the max dose of 1.8….I HAVE lost 14 lbs, BUT that is due to nausea and feeling of fullness…. HOWEVER, my blood sugars still are greater than 200 ALL the time. I am now having to increase my AC insulin to 20U ( I was on 40U before V). Has anyone else had this problem of not getting the lowered BS response. I am wanting the V to replace the daily AC insulin injections…..I know it is still early in the game, but I want to see some results that will make all this illness worth it….Thanks for letting me vent!!!

50. Kim
    Kim July 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm | | Reply

If anyone experiences pains in their abdomen’s please check with your doctor. Take if from someone who has been out of work since April with Pancreatitis. I have so far had 3 procedures done and having a fouth next week. For me it is not going away. I have stopped the Victoza since the end of April and the doctors do believe it is from that. The Victoza worked miracles for me and I was sad to have to stop it. I am going on to an insulin pump because my glucose is now out of control.

Please heed the pain, I left it go for a few weeks when it started and I regret that now.