1,265 Responses

1. Gina
    Gina June 23, 2011 at 10:43 am | | Reply

Hi V friends,
    @ JOdy, I think V isn’t working for you b/c you only are taking the correct dosage for V. If V helped at a lower dosage than great. But, you need to increase it even slowly so it can help lower your #’s . V is has 97% of the same hormone as our liver produces. It gives it extra C cells that help the liver make the insulin needed. It is not producing the correct amt for you b/c you are not taking it as prescribed. I just saw someone that I haven’t seen in 4 months. She said her Doctor put her on V. She lost 23 lbs but, she looks like she lost 50. She is a size 6 pants.
    She looks great and doesn’t need to lose anymore. She got off all other meds and is only on V.
    I went from 7.5 to 5.8 in three months. and I learned on this blog that it only last for 16 hours so, if you can tolerate it, it is better taken when you are awake and eating. I did not get any bad reactions from V. and it doesn’t bother my digestive system either. So, as long as you can tolerate it and you are not having any reactions than go for it. the full dosage. You can always lower it when your #’s are down. I will be on the full dosage for another 3 months. and then I will see my numbers are. If less can produce the same results than I will change but not for now.
    @ Holly, damn girl, I’m jealous!! V works for me but, no weight loss.
    MY TURN V. lol

2. Gina
    Gina June 23, 2011 at 10:46 am | | Reply

FYI: If when you write and then publish it and you get
    “your comment is waiting moderation” just click on the date that is underlined next to Posted by: Gina June23rd etc.
    it will go on. Sometimes I write and it doesn’t go thru and I don’t have time to rewrite it.

3. Lynne H.
    Lynne H. June 23, 2011 at 1:21 pm | | Reply

I have had type II for 5 years now and the Metformin was working but for the last 6 months or so my numbers that were never above 130 climbed to over 200 I have become increasing tired-falling asleep anywhere and anytime I sit down-have to pull over to take a nap on my way to work and on my way back-as I could not stay awake driving-horrible feeling like I haven’t slept for days!
    Finally went to an Endo and it was the best thing I did! I started taking Victoza this morning, the lower dose to start with. So far, no adverse side effects – but my appetite has decreased tremendously and my energy level has increased – did not feel sleepy at all drving to work this morning-so far so good!

4. Gina
    Gina June 24, 2011 at 6:54 am | | Reply

@ Lynne check your B12 count. Most of us on here have low B12 which makes you so sleepy. I had the problem for years. Metformin depletes this tremendously. my count was 258 with B12 taken for 1 month over 1100. If I stop taking it, it goes down to 500 or lower. I buy it from TriVita.com It is subliminal. you put it under your tongue and let it melt.
    Go luck on V. Like everyone says start out slowly and than a few clicks at a time if you feel the side effects this way your body can adjust to it.

@ Donna, my vision is changing too. But, I don’t think it is from V. I cannot see small letters. Need reading glasses ontop of my contact. Getting old is a bummer.

5. Donna
    Donna June 24, 2011 at 7:51 am | | Reply

Thanks Gina getting old is a bummer (smile), and for everyone else when you speak on increasing your dosage is this per your doctor or are you all doing it on your own; I’m on 1.2…Thanks Donna

6. MED
    MED June 24, 2011 at 8:48 am | | Reply

@Donna – hopefully anyone increasing their doseage is per doctor’s orders. I can’t imagine wanting to increase any medicine unless it was necessary – especially since we don’t know if Victoza tops out in effectiveness after a period of time and would possibly have to be increased later. Why take more than you need? If 1.2 works for you and your doctor says to increase – I’d red flag it and ask him/her why! From reading the postings here and talking to the company inquiry line – it seems that most doctors are just prescribing what is on the literature and automatically increasing from .6 to 1.2 to 1.8 over a few weeks – straight to maximum doseage without checking Blood Glucose numbers along the way. They should be monitoring each patient individually and adjusting doseage according to the person, not the literature.

7. holly nelson
    holly nelson June 24, 2011 at 8:56 am | | Reply

Hey everybody!!

1.2 is all I can handle… By lunch time my blood sugar is down to 77 and I have to eat something to get it back to 100 or so. I dont think I will ever be on 1.8 unless it stops working. So far so good. i did notice that if you miss a dose you are starving. I still dont eat much. Every body have a good weekend! :)

8. gosouthmom
    gosouthmom June 24, 2011 at 11:17 am | | Reply

Hi, thanks for all you posts. I’m a non diabetic but very overweight and will participate in a study for weight loss with V. Is there anyone else out there who does this?

9. holly nelson
    holly nelson June 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm | | Reply

I do remember one girl that was on this sight and she was doing it for weight loss only and the victoza made her to sick so I think she quit with it. Warning the first 4 months for most of us was a BITCH ! If you can get past that you might be ok. Good luck with your weight loss study

10. Carol
    Carol June 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm | | Reply

Just started Victoza today. 1.2 daily. I am so glad to find this site. I took it this morning before breakfast and it is now 5 pm – no nausea! I was sick every day on Byetta…. will keep you all posted …

11. lynne h.
    lynne h. June 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm | | Reply

Gina, thanks for the tip about the B12-I went to an Endo and she thought it was Lexapro making me tired, not Metformin-I think it was probably that my am numbers (and day and night!) were above 200 I started V on June 23 (4 days ago) and my numbers are great and I lost 6 lbs!!! I also haven’t felt this energized for such a long long time-except this morning, I did get sleepy driving to work and realized that although a diabetic nutrionist said Cheerios was just about the only cereal to have-I had a very small serving this morning and then looked at the box. Carbs 21 g and when you look further down, it states “other carbs 17g” Anybody have any thoughts on this? Any ideas for a easy and quick breakfast (I hate to cook!)

12. lynne h.
    lynne h. June 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

Gina, Thanks for the tip on B12-Since I have started the V I haven’t been so tired-except this morning I ate something different-Cheerios-which I was told was OK-did notice the carbs are 21g and when you scroll down the box, it states “other carbs 17g”-I had 1/2 serving size-any comments from anyone about this or any ideas what would be a good fast breakfast for someone on the run and who also doesn’t like to cook? Been on V since June 23 and have lost 6lbs already!

13. Gina
    Gina June 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

@ Lynne h. Total carbs for meal you should aim for around 30 grams. snack is 15 grams. I eat yogart weight watches it has 17 grams. I have it for breakfast or snack. hard to find snacks with 15 grams. Anyone knows some good ones please list them.
    Also for breakfast Slimfast Cappuccino there is a brand liquid drink for diabetics but, I don’t like the taste and it is smaller. Cottage cheese comes with fruit 2oz serving I mix it with 3 crackers. That’s the only thing I can think of that you don’t cook.
    When I ordered my Metiform the Pharmacy always gave me a side effect sheet and it says greatly lowers B12 and also on the internet look up Metiform it says it too. I guess they all deplete B12.
    So, glad you lost weight. This V is really getting me down. I haven’t lost a pound and I do work out. and don’t over eat. and my sugar went to normal.

@ Med. Everyone ups the V b/c the doctors say to go to 1.8. but, you are right if it stays btw 70 -100 at a lower dose than it is working for you.

@the new Carol . Welcome to V friends. Glad you are not getting the bad side effects. I didn’t either. good luck.

Well, I’ll be seeing my Endo in Aug. I’ll see what he has to say. If he says it’s my eating I’m gonna hit him. I have changed it to the minimum I will do. NO more cookies, cakes, donuts, fast foods. Thou, I use to eat minimal of those anyway. Now, if I eat cake, b/c of a party. don’t have any in my home it is a very small pcs and I eat it only if it is delicious.

Well enough BS. Take care everyone.

14. Haylee T
    Haylee T June 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm | | Reply

I am 17 years old and was recently diagnosed with type one diabetes. My endo introduced me to Victosa and I started it today as a trial. I can already tell a significant difference in my blood sugar levels and appetite. The only things I am concerened about are the long term effects and losing weight. Is there anyone else who is a type one diabetic taking Victosa?

15. Jody C.
    Jody C. June 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm | | Reply

Hi all!

Gina, the Victoza along with my other meds is giving me pretty good results at the low dosage. That said, I am going to be increasing to .9 and then 1.2 when I run out of Glypizide. I’ve already eliminated the Onglyza that I was taking.

I’ve lost a little weight in the last month. Not sure exactly how much, but ~3-5 pounds.

@Carol, I’m surprised to hear that your Dr. started you at 1.2. From what I’ve read and been told by my Dr is that your body needs some time to adjust so normally it’s started at the .6 dosage for a week and then increased to 1.2 the second week.

I’ve been taking mine late at night generally around midnight. I’ve been giving some thought to taking it in the morning but it seems to be working and I’m already so rushed in the morning.

The only advice I have for the new ‘users’ is that I have found when I have felt that bloated nauseous feeling walking helps. So I would say if it makes you feel bad, try going for a walk. It has helped me.

Jody

16. Jody C.
    Jody C. June 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm | | Reply

Also, thanks for the tip about the B12. I did not know that about the Metformin.

Jody

17. holly nelson
    holly nelson June 29, 2011 at 6:17 am | | Reply

Hi Haylee,

Welcome to our little Victoza family. I am a type one diabetic and have been on Victoza since December 30 of 2010. It has worked wonders for me. My blood sugar is very low . The first 4 months on the medicine was absolutely NO fun for me but I stuck with it and things are better now. I have an issue every now and then. I just hope it keeps working. You will find reading all of the past postings that we have all had our issues with this stuff but it works well. If you ever have any questions please post them here. Every body is really super nice and will help you any way they can. That is why I like it so much! Good luck !!

18. lynne h.
    lynne h. June 29, 2011 at 8:49 am | | Reply

I just came back from getting B-12 and D=3 vitamins-hopes that wakes me up! Been on V for a week today-my numbers have gone from 216 in am before breakfast to 100-117 I feel like so much better and have way more energy-I also lost 8 or 9 lbs this past week-appetite and cravings are very different-I look forward to getting back into my small clothes-I also gained so much weight -first, when I was diagonosed and started Metformin I started to loose weight-then I went from hardly eating to binge eating and always always hungry-I am happy that I haven’t had very adverse side affects from V- nausea come about once a day for a moment, but I don’t know if it’s the V or from not eating. I also have diareah (sp) but that’s nothing new with me. I am surprised that I haven’t had much side affects-any comments? Thanks for listening!

19. holly nelson
    holly nelson June 29, 2011 at 9:13 am | | Reply

Hey Lynne H,

As I said before the side effects for me were UGLY the first 4 months…Throwing up, upset stomach, nausea and the rotten egg burps were the worst!!! I hope you dont get that stuff!!! It was just nasty!!!
    they would last at least 4 days and then I would throw up and be good for 2 or 3 days then it would start all over. This went on from december to the first 2 weeks of april and then it just stopped. I only get sick every now and then but I know my limits! So I watch what I eat very carefully.

20. Carol
    Carol June 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm | | Reply

Hi all – I still feel fine – day three no nausea….don’t know why Doc started me at 1.2 mg. My morning sugars were in the 160′s — rest of the day not so much. But A1C was more than 7. Danger zone! These three days, 130′s. How long does it take to get to “normal?” I paid c0-pay of $35.00 for one month supply. Don’t know if I can keep that up with all my other meds too. But if it works, it will be worth it. Gina thanks for the nice welcome – feels good to have fouind this site. Ta ta for now! Carol

21. RL
    RL June 30, 2011 at 11:00 am | | Reply

hello. just took my 6th shot @ last night. bs around 160 avg. am fast. problems to mention other than small bruises @ injection sight. will try suggestion to rub after shot (thanks!). get this…bs 122 this morning! wow…
    will post with progress. also lost 5 lbs. doc says lose 30 and you can get-off meds. only taking 10 mg. of altace for high bp. thank you for comments!

22. holly nelson
    holly nelson June 30, 2011 at 11:18 am | | Reply

Dear RL,

I changed my needles to the BD 0.33×12.7 mm 29G x 1/2. I was using the shorter ones but they caused alot of bruises. The longer needles work much better for me. I always give my self my shot in the stomach. My doctor won’t let me use my legs. Hope this helps have a great 4th !

23. Tala
    Tala June 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

Hi, i am happy i found this page ..
    i have been taking Victoza for more than 3 months now i lost about 20 pounds, i am taking it because i have polisystic ovarian synrom PCOS, my doctor said its a unorthodox treatment for my condition, but it really worked for me, now i get my period every month! i used to get it once every 4 months,, i lost a lot of weight too,,,
    i am just afraid of whats to come in terms of side effects…
    i got a little nausea at first and then it stopped i am on 1.2 and i take it in the mornings.

24. Sue
    Sue June 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm | | Reply

Carol, you mentioned that you had to pay $35.00 for a month’s worth. I have a prescription plan but I checked that each pen would normally cost about $200 each.This miracle drug is very expensive -

25. Lynne H.
    Lynne H. June 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm | | Reply

Gina, what is the difference in taking the B12 the way you have been or vitamins? I can only guess that it works better in your system? Thanks!

26. MED
    MED July 1, 2011 at 5:04 am | | Reply

Just in case ya’ll didn’t see this on the main pages of “Diabetes Mine” it was posted on June 15: We all know the risks with pancreatitis, but now FDA is substantiating not to increase dose unless necessary – to monitor each patient. Just confirms what we (the patients taking it) have been saying all along. Hopefully the doctors will read and pay attention.

NewsFlash: FDA Issues Warning on Victoza
    Health professionals reportedly are receiving letters this week alerting them to an FDA warning just issued about risks of thyroid cancer and pancreatitis associated with the popular type 2 diabetes drug liraglutide (Victoza). Yikes!
    “Clinical trials have shown more cases of pancreatitis with liraglutide than with other diabetes drugs, so the FDA recommended patient monitoring after starting liraglutide or raising the dosage, for symptoms such as persistent severe abdominal pain. This pain can sometimes radiate to the back and is accompanied by vomiting.
    Liraglutide should be immediately stopped if pancreatitis is suspected and not restarted if the disease is confirmed.
    The FDA urged a cautious approach in patients with a history of pancreatitis. The agency also highlighted the contraindication for liraglutide in patients with a personal or family history of medullary thyroid cancer or a personal history of multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2.”

27. Carol We
    Carol We July 1, 2011 at 11:48 am | | Reply

Hi all – In reading posts over the past months I noticed there are a few Carols and even another Carol W. (she is a California girl and I am a New Jersey girl). So I’m going to post under Carol We. I love you all and your posts are really helpful. I have been taking V for only 5 days now. NO side effects I know of, except some constipation. Last night I could hardly sleep because of muscle cramps in both feet. Seems weird – muscle cramps are not a side effect, are they? I take Simvastatin (Zoocor) and had severe muscle cramps (thighs, legs etc) till I started taking CoQ-10 twice a day. Since then no muscle cramps till last night. Anybody — any ideas?? Thanks…Carol We

28. Tammie
    Tammie July 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm | | Reply

HI all,

I am recently diagnosed diabetic (should have known genetics would catch up with me sooner or later). I took Metformin for a month and it brought my BS and A1 down (and a little weight) but not enough (still ranging 140-170 and over 7). I took my first dose this morning and found this blog this afternoon. It is nice to know I am not alone (Hypothyroidism, Hypertension, High Cholestrol… the list goes on). I really enjoyed reading everyone’s comments. They empowered me but I am still terrified. I have made this page a favorite for future encouragements.

29. TrudeJo
    TrudeJo July 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm | | Reply

Hello All! Second day on Victoza, and thought not being hungry was all in my head. I figured the med would have to have a bit of time in my system before I wouls really react to it. Amazing! I’ve struggeled with my weight and diabetes for several years. I am so excited and hope this helps.

30. Gina
    Gina July 1, 2011 at 7:05 pm | | Reply

@Lynne H. B12 should be taken in subliminal form, under your tongue or a shot. It can’t be absorbed correctly through your stomach. My neighbor was taking B12 but, the pill form. and she said it wasn’t working for her. So I told her to change it.
    @RL DON’T RUB AFTER INJECTING V!! On the phamplet and the Doc said not to. If you are getting bruises than 2 options. 1. Change the needle size like Holly suggested or 2. Push down slowly 3 clicks and count to 3. I found that helps. I get very little bruising from that. before I had large black and blues all over, not a pretty sight.
    @ Tala, Thanks you just answered my question that I was going to ask the doctor. I was in menopause and my doc took a test and said I’ll be done soon. 1 month after taking V I got my ( I call it Martha) every month. before that Martha didn’t come and visit for over 9 months! Damn V! That’s the only thing I regret from V.
    Today, I was on line at the grocery store, and I felt dizzy and sweety. Thank goodness I had my blood tester with me. It was 81. Even thou 81 isn’t low. I grabbed a choc. bar off the side counter and ate it quickly. My sugar must have been dropping fast. Then I realized I didn’t eat for 6 hours. I have to eat something small every 4 hours. So, just a heads up, try not to go to many hours without eating.
    Anyone on V for more than 3 months and not losing weight? If so, what did ur doc suggest?
    Happy 4th everyone.

31. Andrew
    Andrew July 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm | | Reply

I just started 3 days ago, and found this place today.

My history: A couple years ago I was diagnosed when I showed up wiht an A1C of 13 but no other obvious symptoms other than being 90 pounds over weight. I have been on metformin 1000mg AM and PM for the blood sugar, lisinopril 10mg to protect the kidneys and help with the high BP (it was 135/90), lipitor 40mg for the cholestorol (it was 235), plus diet, exercise and a bit of psychological counseling.

So after all that, I got my BP to 117/75 on average, Cholesterol of 125 (with LDL <70 and triglycerides <100!), and, best of all, kept my A1C around 6.5, and I managed to lose 50 pounds, 35 of it last year. So far so good.

But that was as of November last year. In the past 6 months, due to business travel and 2 interstate moves (due to one company going bankrupt and my new company relocating me), I stopped exercising, ate like crap (drive through fast food, late night pizza, and restaurant food). I also got slack about taking my metformin, forgetting to take it for days at a time. I ended up putting put back on 20 pounds – and when I got checked at the end of May my A1C was 8.0! Hotels, lack of exercise, not taking your meds, and eating lots of fast food will blow out your blood sugars – and eventually kill you!

Lesson learned – at the beginning of June I got religious about my regular meds (plus adding a B multi, and B12 and Vitamin D3), getting back to exercising with my heart rate monitor in the target zone at least 30 minutes at least 5 times a week, and going low-carb, I started exercising again, and lost 4 pounds in the past month. Finally having a kitchen and a home again helps soooo much! I did get my A1C down to 7.4 in only 4 weeks, and I was seeing 100's after exercise. But I was also seeing 145 BS waking, and 120-130 during the day, 180 after eating, so they were not coming down like before. And my BP had gone up to 125/82 or so on average. The Doc wants me to go after the fasting and postprandial BS faster, so he put me on Victoza.

So far, this stuff is amazing, I'm on my 3rd day, 0.6 along wiht my other meds. I'm getting 90's in the AM when I used to get 145s, and 100-105 after a meal instead of 180-220! No real side effects other than a bit of an odd taste in my mouth for 30 minutes or so, started 15 minutes after I inject (which is 10:30 every night). I have notice my appetite dropping way off, so I am taking advantage of that – getting back in control of my eating by using the "jedi mind tricks" on myself that my counselor taught me.

All I can say is that this drug is amazing, and I hope I continue to see the success – its gratifying to see such FAST progress, instead of the hard grinding with limited results that it took to get even the modest gains I had prior to this. I'll post more as time passes to see if any of the side effects others here have show up.

32. Andrew
    Andrew July 1, 2011 at 9:57 pm | | Reply

I also got some psychological counseling – my Doc called it “learning to eat on purpose instead of by accident”, basically changing my eating habits from psychological or emotional to being in control. It mainly was learning to recognize real hunger and being full versus “feeling” liek I needed to eat or keep eating past when I was full. I had a few sessions with a mental health counselor who also handles addicts – and I found it to be a great help in conquering binge eating which is what got me overweight to begin with. I recommend it to binge eaters and people who have problems controlling their eating even when helped by V.

33. Sue
    Sue July 2, 2011 at 4:47 am | | Reply

Hi Andrew, it was interesting reading your blog – slacking off Metformin, etc. but especially your second blog about the “Psychological counseling” …. learning to eat on purpose instead of by accident. I’ll find myself many times standing in front of the refrid with the door open knowing I’m not hungry but still “looking” for that right satisfying morsel. I do believe that V is controlling my weight at 148 and bs …. I always have an underlying feeling that it may be doing something dangerous to my body. At first, V was controlling my eating binges, but after a year, that has gone away. Question for everyone – I have Type 2 Diabetes – should I be on BOTH V and Insulin (I’m taking 25 units a day)? I’ll check with my eco dr the next time, but just curious.

34. Lynne H.
    Lynne H. July 2, 2011 at 11:19 am | | Reply

Sue:

You wrote that you have been taking V for a year and the binging control has worn off? Did you loose weight when you first starting using it?
    I am interested in hearing from anyone who has been on V for a long time as I just started in on June 23 and have already lost 13lbs in 9 days. I have cut my calories down considerably and I can see food that I would love to eat, but the amount becomes too much. I hope I can continue to loose weight and not put it back on.

35. MED
    MED July 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm | | Reply

@Lynne H. – I have been on V since last October. Lost about 25/30 pounds within two months, have not lost any since. Doesn’t seem to matter what I do, eating less, exercise more, my weight has been stuck for the last 6 months. It’s back to like when I wasn’t on V – no matter what I do the weight doesn’t come off. My appetite is back to normal and I really try to watch what I eat. The nice thing now tho is I can have a normal dessert every so often and it doesn’t send my blood sugar numbers into the ozone! But the issue isn’t the weight – its that my blood sugars are under control finally!

@B12 issues – everything I have read on the B12 seems to go back and forth on whether under the tongue is any more/less effective than the pill — however they all say shots are the best for low B12/B6 issues. I take a B12 pill as well as multi vitamin with extra B12 and it works for me – others take the under the tongue and it works for them. Test it and see what works for you.

I would love to try the Lipo B shot once or twice a week for a while – am thinking of asking the doc about it next time I go. I have found that taking the B12 has helped my mood considerably. I have a slight tendency towards depression and paranoia, and since taking the B12 it has helped a lot with that too (I know, different results for different people but if it’s working for me then I’m sticking with it). Some studies say B vitamins help with depression, others say there is no correlation.

Good luck everyone! Sure hope the weight loss continues for ya’ll.

36. Tiffany
    Tiffany July 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

Hello all. I just started on Victoza on June 29, 2011. The first day I had no problems. The second day, after taking the shot I laid back down and noticed that my body felt cold and clamy. Also it seemed that the room was closing in. It only lasted for about a couple of minutes but I was scared. I didn’t know what was happening to me. However, the third day my family and I drove up to the mountains and I began to get a little nausua. I normally don’t get this way just because of the curves of the mountains so it must of been from the V. Later on that night around 3AM i started vomitting and diarreaha. I don’t know if all this is due to the medication or not. My doctor started me out on the regualr dose of .6 for a week and then up to 1.2 on my second week. I have already seen a difference in my appetite and in my numbers. I was reading between 200-250 upon waking and nothing seemed to help. My doctor still has me on Metphormin 1000mg 2xdaily and Glimiparide 4mg daily. She really didn’t want to start me on insulin since my A1C had only went from 6.7-8.0 in six months. She thought there was still hope before starting that. If anyone knows how I can handle my insurance carrier in letting me get this I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. We have BCBS also. My husband has no copay after $1500 deductible has been met. However, I am looking forward to the weight loss and hopefully being able to keep it off. Please keep us all informed on your updates so that all of us will be aware of any problems that could arise with this new medication.
    Tiffany

37. Lynne H.
    Lynne H. July 4, 2011 at 9:42 am | | Reply

i went to my pharmacy to pick up my rx for Victoza, and was told my insurance doesn’t cover it! It would be $412.00 for one pen!!! I am on my second week of Victoza (had sample pen) and it has been working so well, I can’t imagine going back to feeling always tired and my numbers going up! I wrote to my Endo and asked if she could contact my insurance company and any other people -If something works, why no approve it-the cost? So, the cost of me not being well is worse and the outcome of my health is worse! Any one have this problem and won? I have Aetna Ins.

38. holly nelson
    holly nelson July 4, 2011 at 11:52 am | | Reply

Happy 4th everyone,

Lynne H. I have BCBS and I have NEVER had a problem with my insurance not covering Victoza. I get 6 pens at a time for 60.00 and I also have a VICTOZA card that the pharmacy sent me and It gets me the meds for 35.00 for the next 2 years! The only thing I have herd about is that the insurance companies are giving a hard time if Victoza is the first thing your doctor uses on you. In other words your doctor has to try other meds before using the Victoza. My doctor tried 4 or 5 oral meds and then put me on the Victoza.

and for those of us who have been on the Victoza for more than 6 months I am afraid that the wonderful weight loss is coming to an end..from what I have read we have about a year and then it stops! I just hope I dont gain it all back!!! I love being 45 years old and a size 6 !!!!

39. med
    med July 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm | | Reply

@ Holly – Wow! I want your insurance!!! Mine covers 3 pens for $100 and I never got the VICTOZA discount card. Then another $45 for a box of needles. I too had to go through proving to the insurance that other medicines were tried first before they would approve the V. I have heard a lot of insurance companies won’t cover it because it is such a new drug, and those of us on tiered prescription programs usually end up paying the higher end. BCBS as well as other insurances have different prices for different plans (i.e., my husbands State Employee Plan covers more and has better rates on prescriptions than the same plan through my Federal Employee Plan – same insurance company, same plan coverage, different pricing for copays and prescriptions. Congrats on your size 6 – that is fantastic!

40. Sue
    Sue July 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm | | Reply

Med – $45 for a box of needles – that’s a little high. My needles are about $5 or $6 for a box of 30. Holly – what did the card look like — the one from the pharmacy.

41. holly nelson
    holly nelson July 5, 2011 at 6:16 am | | Reply

Hey Sue,

The card is white with red writing on it..It says at the top… Victoza Instant savings card. There is an ID # at the bottom and a one eight hundred number on it that you call to register the card. It is good for 24 trips to the pharmacy and you get the meds for 35.00. Try calling this number to see if you can get a card. 1-877-484-2869 If that wont work then try 1-866-784-3423 both of these numbers are on the back of the savings card. This is the reason that I love walgreens so much. They called me and mailed me the card. You can also get them from your doctor when you start victoza and you get the little kit they give you. Let me know how you do getting a card :)

42. Gina
    Gina July 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm | | Reply

Hi V Friends,

@ Med, my doctor told me that with B12, I have two options. a shot every week or subliminal tabs under the tongue. I didn’t want to get a shot every week so I went with the tabs. My B12 was 258, in one month I was tested again and it was over 1000. If your B12 is not going higher than try and buy a different brand. I do believe it helps with depression etc. I was always so sleepy, not tired, but sleepy. with B12 I feel alert and no brain fog.
    @ Tiffany, I have BCBS and live in NY. Don’t know if that matters, but, you can have your doctor right a note that you need it, last resort type of thing. Good Luck, I pay $40 every 3 months supply. Also, watch your blood Sugar b/c you are also taking other meds for Diabetes you might be dropping to fast. If I don’t eat every 4 hours something small my sugar drops into the 70′s. so, check your sugar and make sure you see your doctor every 3 months. My endo said here’s V see you in 6 months. Nice guy. So, I went to my family Doctor and he checks me every 3 months.
    @Lynne H. My friend wanted to go on V, but she has AETNA also and they won’t cover it. I hope ur doctor can get them to approve it. Let me know. How about the discount Card that you should of gotten when your doctor gave you the kit. look at Holly’s note above.
    Hey, Holly first I am so happy for you in being a size 6. 2nd: you said you didn’t lose any more weight. Isn’t a size 6 small enough? Just keep the weight you are in now, I know you can do it. If I get down to a 12 , I would be happy but, I think I am that 2% that doesn’t lose weight with it. My luck.
    Good Luck everyone.

43. lynne h.
    lynne h. July 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

Gina: The pharmacy nows says it wasn’t denied, that it has to be approved by Aetna.
    The pharmacy already called my Dr.to relay that message-still waiting-I have terrible insurance, the copay for most my meds is $45 unless its a generic-I did get the Victoza card for a discount-but the discound , I doubt, will be enough to make V affordable out of pocket. I did use a discount card for freestyle lite-instead of 50 test stripes costing 45.00, they were 20.00 Like I said, my insurance is bad! Even my Drs. are amazed at the co-pays.

44. lynne h.
    lynne h. July 5, 2011 at 3:26 pm | | Reply

I meant that the pharmacy now says it wasn’t denied, that it has to be approvede by Aetna and my Dr. has to call Aetna and explain why I need this.

45. Ruth
    Ruth July 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm | | Reply

Just touching base after months off the blog here….I have been on V since June 2010. The first three months I lost 15 pounds, recovered from the transient nausea and headachy feeling. Now I take 1.8 since December 2010 and I have no side effects whatsoever though I have not lost another pound, in fact, probably gained two or three. (I have a pesky food addiction and I’m a binge eater). It may slow digestion but I manage to eat no matter. I do suffer more GERD but that’s to be expected. My numbers were and are really low when I’m compliant with food. When I’m not, I still shoot over 200 in the am. I try not to beat myself up but it’s hard when you know you shouldn’t eat this or that and certainly not binge…but well, there you have it. No pill or medicine or even gastric bypass will keep your own hand out of your own mouth. I found it really hard to believe that people started Victoza (and Byetta before) to lose weight. Low numbers were and are enough for me. Good luck and many prayers for all of you to succeed in staving off this disease process. I’m 57 and I hope, soon, to get a grip. Stay well…

46. Andrew
    Andrew July 8, 2011 at 12:37 am | | Reply

Hi everyone! I have been on Victoza since June 25. For the last two weeks I have lost 8 pounds and my sugar went from 386 to 157. Wow! The first few days I started with .06 injections, but then switched to 1.2 and later to 1.8.Don’t feel like eating at all, like it though. I am eating just because I have to. I have had diabet. for about 8 years now and nothing seems to have helped me like Victoza. It is really a miracle!Good luck to everyone and hope it helps each and everyone of us somehow.

47. Andrew
    Andrew July 8, 2011 at 11:16 am | | Reply

Well here I am one week in, just upped the dosage to 1.2 last night. SO far so good – no side effects at all other than an odd taste in my mouth about 15 minutes after injecting.

So, after a week of 0.6, how are my numbers? Amazing. I wake up with 85to 98, random testing before meals comes in at 95 to 102, and even my postprandial numbers are great – I haven’t seen a number over 150 yet (mostly in the 130′s), when I used to regularly hit 200-250! Remember, instead of testing 1 and 2 hours after eating, test 3-4 hours after the meal with V: since it delays gastric emptying it will also delay the postprandial spikes. If you’re like me you will have to play pincushion for a while to see how long the V is delaying the emptying — I tested every 30 minutes (I was a diabetes self voodoo doll!) starting at about 1 hour and continuing until 5 hours after eating. All 3 times I found the high spot for me to be around 3 and a half hours after eating. Your measurements may vary.

Now, the weight loss: this stuff has been a good, maybe too good because I am not eating enough on some days (I do journal my food on my smartphone). I saw that one day I only took in 800 calories, yet I do not recall being hungry at all that day, I simply “forgot” to eat – which is BAD for weight loss and health. So be careful if you are new to V – set up a menu and stick to it. I am now planning my menu for the next week just to be sure, and setting alarms on my phone to remind me to eat.

The biggest thing is that I do not have the “snacking” urge that used to be my own personal bete noire, and it seems to have cut my carb cravings significantly. Also, I do get “full” with far less food, about half of what I used to eat, and even less than that of “binge” meals. And I find I get full far faster than before, so the old trick of slowing down my eating (put down the fork and take a sip of water after every bite) has me eating a lot less because I do get full on so much less, so much faster. I have dropped 6 pounds in 7 days without really trying which likely isn’t healthy, but it seems to all be coming off my belly. The odd thing is that is in spite of having a cold and missing 3 of my 5 scheduled workouts this past week (I spent one whole day in bed with a sinus infection).

I still cannot get over how good my numbers are and how chopped my appetite is. It is amazing after a few years of struggle with my numbers and weight to finally see results and see them quickly.

All in all, I am very happy with this addition to my meds and its effects on my sugars, appetite, cravings and weight loss. I hope it can and will continue successfully, and that my insurance will cover it (I have Aetna, and am running on 2 starter samples the Doc gave me).

48. Andrew
    Andrew July 8, 2011 at 11:35 am | | Reply

I have no idea why my post disappeared and why my name is on the post just above this.

49. Andrew
    Andrew July 8, 2011 at 11:50 am | | Reply

Unless there is another Andrew here.

Anyway, I just started the 1.2 dose last night. No side effects at all. Appetite way down, carb cravings erased. I have to plan my meals and set alarms to be sure I eat often enough and get enough calories – I’m barely getting in 1200 a day anymore. I didn’t pay attention and probably only had 800 or so calories a few days ago. The odd thing is I never really got hungry. I’ve lost 6 pounds in 7 days, in spite of missing a few days at the gym (I actually spent a sick day sleeping at home due to a sinus infection).

The best part is my BG numbers. Waking up 85 to 98, 92 to 104 before eating, and below 140 after eating. One thing to be careful of: since V delays gastric emptying, it also delays the postprandial BG spikes. I had to play diabetes-voodoo doll with myself, sticking myself every 30 minutes for up to 5 hours after a few meals just to see when the spike would hit. After 3 trials, instead of 1 hour for my peak postprandial BG, I am pretty sure I hit my peak between 3 to maybe 4 hours after eating depending on the food, and I am definitely ramped down to/below 100 easily by 5 hours. So now when I test for a post meal high, I test at 3 and a half hours. You may want to check with your doctor before you pincushion yourself.

All in all, I am happy, and I hope my insurance (Aetna) will listen to my doctor and approve my prescription (I am running on a sample pen and have one more in my fridge).

50. Karen
    Karen July 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

Hello! My name is Karen. I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic 18 years ago at the age of 35. I could be the poster girl for the classic apple shape. All of my weight is in my torso-and of course I have been overweight most of my life. I was allowed to ‘try’ to control my blood sugars for too long with oral meds, exercise and diet. I gained 30lbs while on actos and lost it in 6 months after I went off it. I finally went to an endo after having blood sugars in the 2-400s regularly. In fact having a blood sugar in the 200′s was a victory, I considered that low. My endocrinologist got me lined up on everything needed to get my body and labs in order. Metformin 1000 BID, Crestor, Tricor, Apidra injections TID, Lantus at HS and Symlin injections TID. Symlin is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. After following this regimen for one month my labs were like night and day. It was a miracle. My triglycerides had been so high I was told they could not be measured. Now-they were normal. Other people whine or reject medication-I say, better living thru chemistry. The symlin really made me nauseous. But I ate much less and my sugars were gorgeous. My endocrinologist left town and I did not start back with the new doctor. The only change in my medications was the Symlin. Over the last 2 years my sugars have been starting to creep back up-this last lab I scored an 8 on my HgbA1c. Boo. My doctor started me on Victoza. I read the information and decided to use it-I will be vigilant on keeping an eye on side effects. I took my first injection yesterday night at 6pm. I did not have nausea or dizzyness with this dose. I did have a sort of hollowed out feeling in my upper abdomen during the night. Yesterday morning my FBS was 200, this morning my FBS 114. Very cool BTW 3 out of 4 of my grandparents were diabetics and 2 of them died from direct complications of same-both of my parents and one sibling are diabetics. I am happy to have these medications that allow me a longer, healthier life. As for weight loss-I am not planning on this medication victoza to work as a weight loss med. If I lose any on the side-that will be a plus. Yay!