1,265 Responses

1. Hans
    Hans April 7, 2010 at 9:19 am | | Reply

Byetta, Victoza and the weekly candidate in the pipeline mainly restore the incretine effect. That means that they restore the colone hormones’ capability to order insulin just in time as new glucose is passed on into the portal vein. And depending on the amount of beta cells left to answer the call postprandial spikes may rise lower. There is no direct effect of Byetta, Victoza & Co. on fasting bgs. But lower postprandial spikes use to make for lower over all bg curves.

For people able to read a bit of German here is [url=http://www.onmeda.de/foren/forum-diabetes/%22victoza%22/1699566/read.html]more than[/url] half a year [url=http://www.onmeda.de/foren/forum-diabetes/victoza-%22fortsetzung%2C-2.teil%22/1759510/read.html]of user experience[/url] with [url=http://www.onmeda.de/foren/forum-diabetes/victoza-%22-fortsetzung-teil-iii-%22/1807706/read.html]Victoza & Byetta.[/url]

2. Corey Ham
    Corey Ham April 8, 2010 at 5:42 am | | Reply

While this medication has been checked and approved by competent persons and the FDA really finds its proper use is welcome, as on many occasions, I have searched somewhere where they ask for my medicine and that spending on prescriptions and doctors more than my medication, and they recommended findyourdrug.com a free form where they have the appropriate medications and appropriate authorization, so it is important for me to know that your opinion of it.

3. Steve Parker, M.D.
    Steve Parker, M.D. April 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm | | Reply

Just a minor point, but….

My understanding is that Byetta is not taken with every meal, but only twice daily, within 60 minutes prior to the meal.

“With every meal” is technically correct if you just eat twice daily.

If all other things were equal, I’d rather inject once instead of twice daily.

-Steve

4. Doug
    Doug April 10, 2010 at 3:18 pm | | Reply

Alan Moses is an M.D.

5. Suzy Smith
    Suzy Smith April 12, 2010 at 3:20 am | | Reply

Byetta is twice a day, within 60 minutes of breakfast and dinner. I was on it for awhile, it helped, greatly with my control but, I was having some serious issues with cellulitis in my abdomen (due to a urachal cyst) so I went off of it.

6. Lori
    Lori April 27, 2010 at 3:02 pm | | Reply

My husband was recently prescribed Victoza to replace his Lantis. I have some concern since he had lymphoma cancer in 2002 & 2006. I’ve read everyting I can find about the cancer warning. Does anyone have any info to share since it has been in use other than the U.S.???

7. Deacon
    Deacon May 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm | | Reply

I have just started using this and it is very odd.
    I am glad that I have the same issues as some of the cases.
    Just not very hungry anymore and I am a Foodie. I eat very well, work out with a trainer 3 times a week and cook most of my meals and so with my sugar pretty controlled I was put on this. I am amazed at how fast sugars have dropped and I am in the mode of dropping back my Lantus does to counter act the very low sugars in the evenings and mid days.
    I was taking 120 units of Lantus a day, dropped back to 97 with diet and excercise, and now im at 70 and still changing it to deal with the lows.
    The stomach problems were a big issue but making my pre bed time “snack” 32 ounces of fresh brewed Green tea and breakfast an egg or two and some Kefir with pro-biotics have stopped the nausea completely.

8. Melissa Hinckle
    Melissa Hinckle May 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm | | Reply

I started taking victoza on 5-14 I have type 2 diabetes. I took lantus 25 mg twice daily. metformin 1000mg twice daily. I have not taken any lantus for 4 days, haven`t needed to. blood sugars between 90-125. no appetite at all!! lost 9 lbs this far. A little nausea but not too bad. I`ve lost my craving for sugar. I will continue this medicine. I`ll keep you posted.

9. Tonya B.
    Tonya B. May 24, 2010 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

I just started Victoza two days ago and the nausea is horrible. Nothing like trying to teach class and having to run out to vomit. I’m taking the lowest dosage as well. I will say though that despite the horrendous nausea and splitting headaches, my blood sugar is the best it’s been in ten years. For the first time my waking BS is under 100. I’ve never been able to do that through diet/exercise or metaformin. I’m just hoping the nausea will eventually go away. I heard from other users it takes a couple of weeks.

10. Mutaal
    Mutaal June 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victoza about 3 weeks ago. My sugars are much lower than with Byetta, and I am also just not very hungry anymore. However, a few days ago I noticed some large itchy whelts developing at my injection site. I can’t find anything about the cause or treatment, does anyone have the same side effect? In the info sheet, it says that side effect occurred in less than .2% of trials, somehow I am always the exception.

11. Paul Snyder
    Paul Snyder June 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza 13 april and had some green apple quick step the first few days taking .6 mg. I am now on 1.2 mg and my sugar has been fine. I have reduced my fondness for food & when I do eat it is small portions. In regards to the request by Mutall above, I have had a black & blue spot in the stomach area where I inject but it went away with no other problems

12. Lisa
    Lisa June 12, 2010 at 7:28 am | | Reply

I started Victoza 3 days ago and I love it. My cravings were under control after the very first dose. Lost 4 lbs thus far. I have just a slight nagging nausea that I think I will be able to tolerate even it it never goes away. The main reason I’m Type II is because I am about 75lbs overweight, so whatever weight loss I experience will be a blessing. I can actually say that I feel normal for a change. Before, due to lack of energy, all I did was lie around and wait for something to drag me off the bed. It was a debilitating cycle…eat, get sleepy, lie down, wake up hungry, and start it all over again. Byetta worked for a while, but eventually I wasn’t getting the results I started out getting and the injection sites turned into itchy welts that would last for days. So far so good with the Victoza.

Good luck everyone.

13. Denise Parson
    Denise Parson June 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm | | Reply

I just started using the Victoza and i love it! I have noticed my appetite has reduced but the fact that I feel GREAT is worth it all! My energy level has gone through the roof! Haven’t checked my sugar levels but i know they are down because of the way i feel. I was instructed to start at 0.6 mg for a week and increas to 1.8 mg after that. I hope i feel as good then. No nausea so far, no side effects as of yet.

14. Tonya B.
    Tonya B. June 14, 2010 at 10:20 am | | Reply

This is my fourth week on Victoza. It has made a huge difference with my blood sugar numbers. They are the best they’ve been in ten years. However, I have had horrendous nausea, vomiting, headaches, and severe constipation. I started out on .06 for two weeks due to my job plus the nausea. I went up to 1.2 but after five days with side effects becoming even worse, I had to drop back down to .06 because it was unbearable. There was no change in my blood sugar numbers from the .06 to 1.2 dose either. I am down ten pounds but it’s been the hard way. I’m also medically hypothyroid after a total thyroidectomy two years ago. I must take thyroid medication daily for the rest of my life. It has been tricking timing that medication so it doesn’t cause me severe nausea or vomiting with the Victoza. I have heard that Victoza has a half life of about 12-15 hours. I have found with me it’s more like 20.

15. Selena
    Selena June 23, 2010 at 7:38 am | | Reply

I love Victoza! I just wrote a blog post about it at Oh My Aches and Pains!: http://www.ohmyachesandpains.info/2010/06/ode-to-my-cereal-bowl.html. I have been on it for about two months now and my blood sugar numbers are the best they have been since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 11 years ago. I do have more injection site bruising than I did with Byetta, but nothing horrible. Overall, it is a huge improvement over Byetta, especially with my fasting BG numbers. I almost feel like a normal person now.

16. Annie
    Annie June 24, 2010 at 12:14 am | | Reply

I started Victoza a month ago and am liking the results. I started on 0.6 for a few weeks, taking it at night to overcome the nausea my endo warned me about. Experienced mild nausea, definite lack of appetite. I lost 90lbs on metformin, diet, and exercise and my endo thought that Victoza would help to jump start my weight loss again because I plateaued with about 15 lbs to go. I have to force myself to eat 3 small meals daily because I rarely feel hungry. I also have to be careful not to eat too much too fast- it leads to feeling extremely full and bloated with major heartburn. I also noticed my frequency of bowel movements has decreased quite a bit. I also have bruising on the tummy injection sites- this seems to go away quicker if you rub on the site vigorously after injecting. I’ve been on 1.2 for 2 weeks and I’ve lost 5 pounds. I’m a bit concerned about my bodies reaction after I stop taking it….wondering if the weight will return even though I’m on a pretty strict diet and exercise plan.

17. Ruth
    Ruth June 30, 2010 at 6:23 am | | Reply

I have to agree with Lisa about…I was a sludge. Being 100 pounds overweight, and with uncontrolled sugars (and appetite!) of way over 200 despite Metformin…I felt awful. Despite having an important rewarding job, I was so cloudy mentally in the am with 250 sugars and my appetite so out of control. Being a binge eater, control was really impossible sometimes. But, it was do or die at the doctor’s office and I just decided to try the Victoza he was recommending. I’m on my second week and taking the 1.2 dosage. I lost 5 pounds but I have to say I don’t know if it was the Victoza or just my desire to become compliant. I have the same appetite as ever (wish that would go!) and I still have binging problems after dinner…but I’ve quelled most through willpower. It is possible that the Victoza is helping with that. I have a benign thyroid tumor, very small, for 20 years that gets scanned once a year. So I’ll be watching as will dr. The only side effect is I get very headachy in the afternoons. I snack appropriately but allthrough the night it’s that way. Small price to pay if this all works. I’m buying a treadmill soon, so I’m hoping all that just works to one end: My good health! Good luck everyone.

18. Vee
    Vee July 6, 2010 at 7:52 am | | Reply

Thank you to all the posters. I just started Victoza today, and will return in a month to update everyone on my progress. I am replacing 2mg of Glucosamine with the Victoza (starting with a .6mg dose. My fasting blood sugars with the Glucosamine average between 100-109. My Dr. recommended the switch because my sugars are in good control but I have about 50 lbs to lose.

19. beverley cleary
    beverley cleary July 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm | | Reply

I’ve been on Victoza for two weeks now and feel great! No problems so far. I takethe injection in the afternoon. I had much success with Byetta, but after two years my stomach rebelled.

20. Ruth
    Ruth July 7, 2010 at 7:00 pm | | Reply

Well, week three completed. No real side effects except transient nausea and headaches almost everyday. But small compared to the low sugars I’m experiencing. I went to eat dinner and I was 112. I was so impressed. i”m still eating a lot and haven’t lost more than 6 pounds. I find that I can only eat smaller portions but seem to return to the same meal a half hour later, hungry. I’m just an eater I think. a binge eater. I haven’t eating any refined sugar since beginning Victoza…so that alone is a good thing. I try to eat only decent food, but my appetite is as alive as ever. But low sugars are just as important – moreso – than my appetite. I hope for even better results in future weeks. And of course, I pray that I will stay healthy on it and not suffer from any side effects. Best of luck to everyone writing. PLEASE KEEP WRITING…IT HELPS TO HELP OTHERS.
    Ruth:)

21. Ruth
    Ruth July 7, 2010 at 7:02 pm | | Reply

I’m wondering from reading above…maybe taking it at night will control the appetite better???? any comments on that?

22. Na'Themba
    Na'Themba July 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm | | Reply

When Endo #2 (I have two endos) prescribed Victoza for me two-and-a-half weeks ago, he said, “With this, we might be able to get you off of insulin altogether.” I thought, “Good luck with that.” So far, I’ve backed off a bit on my Lantus dosage, and will need to ease off more so that I can continue to take Novolog 70/30 for post-prandial control. Over the last couple of days, I’ve skipped the Novolog at some meals in order to avoid severe hypos. Fasting readings come up hypo at least once daily now. Gotta work on that.

And I’ve lost a few pounds. I keep fighting to eat because 1) Eating is a sport and a patriotic obligation in my town, and 2) Eating only light meals for breakfast or dinner causes serious gastric distress due to the non-diabetic medication I must take. I need a solution that doesn’t make me feel tortured to eat, but allows me to medicate as directed.

I wish I owned stock in a ginger farm. Seriously, I go through a ginger root at least the size of my fist every week. Eating the root takes care of the nausea (tea isn’t strong enough), but not the abdominal pain.

I like Victoza. If I can get a handle on the nausea and abdominal pain, I will love Victoza.

23. Paula
    Paula July 8, 2010 at 1:08 pm | | Reply

Hello everyone,

SUGGESTION: Take Victoza before bedtime so you can sleep through the nausea.

My endocrinologist prescribed me Victoza about three weeks ago and I have to say my levels have never been so good to me. I don’t usually post comments but I had to with this one. I have a Thyroid disorder, high blood pressure, and Diabetes. I been a Diabetic now for 12 years and for three years I couldn’t maintain the proper blood sugar levels until Victoza. I have been AVERAGING for three weeks now between 90-100 BSL’s before and after meals…Crazy!!! I also take Humulin RU-500 (very potent insulin for people with insulin resistance). I went from 20 units (equal to 100 regular units) to just 8-10 units daily. Also, for two days now I haven’t even needed to take my regular insulin.

I experienced very mild nausea and often times I forget to eat and when I do, I can’t eat a lot. I only lost about five pounds but that’s because of my Thryoid problem. I sure hope we don’t hear about the long-term damage five years from now because Victoza works for me. I took Byetta two years ago and that thing made me sick as hell…Terrible. Two thumbs up for Victoza.

24. Jan
    Jan July 9, 2010 at 12:07 pm | | Reply

Please tell me that the nausea gets better. I have been on it only for two days, but it is like the Metformin that I could not take because of the nausea and diarrhea. No diarrhea just a little light headed and nausea. I also take Glipizide 5mg 2x’s a day. My surgar went down to 73 last night so my doctor told me not to take the Glipizide. When I woke up this AM my sugar was 160. I ate took Victoza and my oral meds. I have not checked it as of yet but I am nauseated and light headed. People keep saying this goes away after a week or so. Can anyone tell me their experience with how long they felt like this? I am hoping this will work for me because I am a busy woman and unlike Byetta I only have to inject once a day with Victoza.

25. Jack
    Jack July 12, 2010 at 11:09 am | | Reply

Started on Victoza this morning. No nausea so far, but I didn’t have much with Byetta either. I am taking insulin along with this so we will see if this will help lower my insulin use as well as facilitate some weight loss.

26. Vee
    Vee July 12, 2010 at 12:39 pm | | Reply

I just realized in my previous post I said Glucosamine instead of Glimipiride, yikes! Anyway, after one week, I’ve had no nausea or other ill effects. I’ve had a slight decrease in my fasting glucose levels, from around 109 to 98-103. I’ve had a slight decrese in appetite, which isn’t a problem. I’ve also noticed a change in consistency in my bowel movements, which used to be very soft but are now a little hard. Overall, I’m really pleased and hope to drop a few of the 40lbs I’d like to lose with exercise (my diet is already pretty good).

27. Me
    Me July 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm | | Reply

I started taking Victoza June 17. I take my shot in the morning. I have since lost 16 lbs and still feel naseous every now and then. I stopped eating and was feeling very weak, i would try to eat but had no appetite. I am just starting to feel better now. I started on .6 1st week and am now up to the 1.2 dosage. I am now forcing myself to eat a light breakfast and this seems to help. usually yogurt and fruit… the rest of the day i eat when my stomach is hungry. i still get sugar cravings every now and again but now it is a bite or two and it is satiated. I have not been doing any excercise but will start that this week as I am feeling better. I see the doc on friday and will share results then. Thanks for all the postings!

28. Jack
    Jack July 13, 2010 at 9:37 am | | Reply

Day 2 of using Victoza…nausea is kicking in…

29. Susan Hokanson
    Susan Hokanson July 13, 2010 at 10:40 am | | Reply

I was on Byetta and never experienced any side effects. I never lost any weight on it, either, but it did lower my blood sugars. I switched to Victoza and the nausea was severe for a few days but tapered off after a week and after the first few days, only felt sick when I actually ate something so I was very careful to eat light, non-fatty, low carb foods. My appetite is still low and I eat smaller meals. I still need to be carefull not to eat heavy foods or the nausea returns. I’ve lost 10 pounds in the last month and my fasting blood sugars are lower.

30. Tammy
    Tammy July 14, 2010 at 9:12 am | | Reply

With Victoza, I have had severe nausea and been extremely tired and weak. Has anyone else had these symptoms and what have you done to overcome them? Thanks

31. Jan
    Jan July 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm | | Reply

The first week I was nauseated and weak from the nausea. I work in a Doctor’s office and I have talked to the Victoza rep. He said give it two weeks. He also told me that there have been a lot of very positive results from patients even a local Endocronolist. I am hoping he is right. My blood surgar’s have been amazing. Anywhere from 94 -160. Compared to 170 -287 I would say they are slowly going down. Haven’t been to 160 in a couple of days. I have found eating and then doing the Victoza has helped my nausea. Of course, everyone is different but I have gotten a lot of feedback from this site and have tried different things. Taking the Victoza right after a large meal seems to work better than anything I have tried. I have lost 3lbs and hoping to lose more. I will keep you posted.

32. Bea
    Bea July 15, 2010 at 8:22 am | | Reply

I was lucky enough to be in a study and have taken Victoza for a year. All I can say is WOW. I lost 75 pounds and my A1C went from 7.5 to 5.6. I’m off of all blood pressure medicine and my cholesterol is perfect – total, good, bad AND triglycerides. My battle now is with my insurance company. They don’t want to cover it because of the cost. Hopefully I can win the battle.

33. Sarah
    Sarah July 15, 2010 at 10:22 am | | Reply

I’ve been on it for 3 weeks. The first week I started out feeling sick which I expected, then I felt like I was going to pass out while driving on the freeway! The Endocrynologist said it was because my body wasn’t used to having a lower blood sugar level. I went from 200 to 125. The worst side effect for me now is the daily splitting headaches and flu like syptoms in the morning after I inject it. The doctor said if I can just make it through the first fews weeks of side effects, then it would be worth it in the end so I’m going to stay on it. My appetite is completely gone. I didn’t even think about the increased energy I have until I saw your posts and realized that I am more energetic now. I miss enjoying food though. My favorite foods don’t taste good to me anymore. The other evening I spent 2 hours at the grocery store trying to find something to eat that interested me. Nothing did except ice cream. I know I shouldn’t be eating it but I did the first week and didn’t lose weight. The second week I went up to the 1.2 dose I lost 2 lbs. Now in the 3rd week I’m on 1.8 I’m down 6 lbs total. I eat as little as someone who had bariatric surgery and I’m worried I will drop weight too quickly so I force myself to eat.

34. Sarah
    Sarah July 15, 2010 at 11:27 am | | Reply

Also, I’m noticing a difference in my vision. Suddenly my eye glasses don’t work well for me except for distance only. Has anyone else had a change in their vision?

35. Ruth
    Ruth July 16, 2010 at 1:28 am | | Reply

I’m still on 1.2 dosing. Just completed a 5 day shore vacation and I didn’t binge once! Heck, I couldn’t binge if I wanted to. My hunger level isn’t there anymore. I depend on Glucerna shakes for lunch…I seem to be able to eat a decent breakfast though…but as it goes on, the less desirous of food I become. I haven’t lost but 6 pounds or so but I hope that changes (treadmill arrives in 10 days!) but MY SUGARS ARE SO LOW AND PERFECT. That in itself is a wonder. Again, I worry about potential side effects, but I’m watching my body carefully as we all should. The idea I can no longer pack it away with tastycakes and devil dogs is impressive. One of the above typers said it’s like “gastric bypass” and I would have to say….that IS the feeling.

36. beth
    beth July 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm | | Reply

just added Victoza about 3 weeks ago. No nausua , but i can’t eat too much food too late at night. I take it in the morning before breakfast. Breaksfast is pretty normal , so is lunch. Snacking is gone. And dinner is half what I used to eat. I’m astonished. I used to be able to eat anytime, and if there was food I ate. Some days I’m just not that hungry . I’ve also noticed a change in what I want to eat. More fruits. more fish. lighter foods.

I have one bruise, but I just need to make sure I use looser skin

I know nothing about numbers yet. both weight and blood sugar numbers were high – si I haven’t taken them in a while . Next week I am going to test again.

37. Ms Vicki
    Ms Vicki July 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

My endo prescribed Victoza today. I am scared to death to take it. I am on metformin 2x daily, BP medicine, Metorprolol, simvastatin (cholesterol) 1/2 HCTZ and baby asprin. I am a breast cancer survivor, and overweight. Reading these comments have really helped me. However, I am still afraid. What about side-effects and long range effects? I am always the one who gets what eveybody doesn’t get! I know I have to do something as my fasting BSL’s are 200 and over. Keep writing and maybe I will build up my nerve.

38. Ruth
    Ruth July 17, 2010 at 6:51 am | | Reply

don’t be AFRAID. Point is, your endo put you on it because it’s the newest best thing so far. With ALL drugs there is a warning. I’m afraid, too, but I’m watching my body for any sign of trouble…which everyone should do. You have had cancer once and he knows this…and from the investigation I did, they gave the rats 8x what we are getting and not all the tumors were cancer. Point is this: We MUST lose weight to become healthy and we MUST control our sugars. Continued unchecked diabetes will contribute TO cancers and our continued poor health. Bottom line…why add another pill. This is new. Yes, I thikn I’m going to end up on a lawyer commercial in 5 years too…but I had to take the chance. I’m 4 weeks nad feeling good. No real nausea – fleeting – and I can’t seem to eat a big meal anymore. I”m a binge eater capable of eat two boxes of Tastycakes in one sitting with a huge glass of milk followed by half of a half gallon of ice cream…so trust me when I tell you…I could NEVER do that anymore…I have lost 7 pounds and feel very good. Down from 2-300 readings, I am now waking at 120 and before meals I’m 110. Amazing. Tell yourself you will give it 4 weeks. And then stop. See how you feel, how you do. Then decide to continue. Talk to your cancer doctor, tell him/her your fears. Good luck. Keep the faith. Health and getting there is what we all want. Ruth:)

39. Jan
    Jan July 17, 2010 at 7:43 am | | Reply

I was afraid too when I first read the site effects. I told my Dr. about my concerns and she just said please try it. She also told me that as for the Thyroid Tumor thing it was in RATS only. My Pharmaicist went to a Seminar on Victoza and said that the most common site effect was the nausea. The rest were in a very low percent. I guess it is like everything else in life. You have to live one day at a time and do the best you can.
    For now I am feeling good. I am going into my third week and it is still amazing. My highest BS has been 114. I am on BP meds also but only for my kidneys since my BS stayed so high for so long. I have lost 6 lbs, and I hope to lose more. I cannot excersise the way I would like because I have to have a knee replacement on one knee and until that happens I cannot use it like I would like too. My Dr. wants to do a blood work up in 4 weeks so we will see how this is doing. I will keep you posted. I have only noticed that I do have Acid Reflux some, more than normal. Anyone else experience this?

40. Sarah
    Sarah July 17, 2010 at 8:12 am | | Reply

I do have more acid reflux, especially when I eat something bad like a doughnut. I’ve been on Prilosec for years and now my insurance pays for it with $0 copay. I might need to up it to 2 doses per day.

I forgot to mention the constipation problem. I already had constipation from all the meds I’m on and now it is much worse with the Victoza added. I swear I need to buy stock in Metamucil capsules!! I take 20 capsules with each meal (normal dose is 5) and I drink lots of water with them. I’ve also added 2 stool softners per day as they are non-habit forming unlike laxatives.

Yesterday I went a whole day without a headache but when I drove home from work I felt faint and sick. I need to keep something in my purse to eat in those situations.

I like the post from the person who has been on Victoza for a year because they were part of a study. I hope the post was from a real person and not from a Victoza drug rep! It really gave me hope. I’m 100 lbs overweight and had finally accepted the fact that I won’t be able to lose it. My family has been pressuring me for years to get gastric bypass surgery. I’ve refused for various reasons. One is that you tend to lose weight so quickly that your skin doesn’t have enough time to shrink. The surgery to remove the excess skin is $20,000 and can have complications. That is why I’m forcing myself to eat so I can lose it a little bit slower.

41. Ruth
    Ruth July 17, 2010 at 8:32 am | | Reply

I have written a couple comments but failed to mention – I take benzapril (HBP), Glucophage 1000×2, Wellbutrin, Synthroid, Crestor, and some vitamins. I take a baby aspirin 2x per day. And of course, the Victoza. I never tried another blood sugar lowering drug before the Victoza. I guess all these years I was just in denial…dieting, yo yo ing thinking I’m gonna lose this pesky 100 pounds? Well, the endo just told me, take it. You need it. I’d give it to my kid if he needed it. And here I am…7 pounds lighter and sugars in the low 100s. Praise God is all I can say

42. Ruth
    Ruth July 17, 2010 at 11:18 am | | Reply

Acid reflux? yes I have. I think it’s from over-eating, if that is possible anymore. Victoza slows our digestion bigtime, purposefully – so that we feel fuller longer and to slow the absorbtion of sugar in our food. Isn’t it funny how you just can’t eat like you did?

43. justlilme
    justlilme July 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for about 2 1/2 months started like everyone else at 0.6 first week then Dr. increased it to 12, do have mild twinges of pain in my stomach area but no nausea, have lost 6 pounds and my Dr. is happy with that and says it will increase as my treatment progresses.
    Like everyone else, I have a very low want for food and have gone from 4
    plates desserts at a buffet to 2 plates and that is 1 plate of fruits and one of vegies, no meat or starch. I feel it is a very good med for the treatment of type 2, lowering my BG. I also take 500 mg metformin twice a day and Actos once daily.
    I would recommend it.

44. Ruth
    Ruth July 18, 2010 at 7:25 am | | Reply

Treadmill arrives soon! I know that that, coupled with eating better and the Victoza…more weight will come off. It’s just too hot to walk outside, or at least that’s my excuse

45. Tamara Melton, MS,RD
    Tamara Melton, MS,RD July 19, 2010 at 9:55 am | | Reply

I happened upon this blog as I am doing research for a client whose appetite has been decreased due to Victoza. She wisely asked that I help her to learn what foods are more nutrient-dense since she is not eating as much (i.e., more bang for her bucks, calorie-wise). I wish all of my clients success, so I hope that this medication can help her, and everyone using it, to reach their weight loss goals.
    However, I will be working very closely with her on behavior modification, so that if and when she ceases using Victoza, she can maintain her weight loss and keep her blood sugars and A1C under control.
    Thank you for the post!

46. Paul Snyder
    Paul Snyder July 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

I developed problems with pain in my back & sides while taking Victoza & Januvia. The Doctor took me off both of them. This eliminated the pain but my sugars went up + my desire for food increased. I went on Lantus Solostar 15 units daily in the A.M. plus one 5mg tablet of Onglyza daily. My sugars are fine & I feel good for the 1st week.

47. Ruth
    Ruth July 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm | | Reply

Today was the first day in almost 5 weeks that I wanted sugar. Almost a craving. So I had my secret weapon wtih me: Quaker chocolate covered granola bars, peanut butter. They are excellent and only 22 carbs. Had it for lunch with a Glucerna snack shake. It did the trick. I just keep telling myself that I have to give the medicine its chance. It’s lowering my blood sugar so why not help it help me? I have no idea where this compliance is coming from, really I don’t. I’m a champion eater…I’m 56, 274 (down from 285) 5’7″. I truly think this is going to work. If nothing else, it has been compliant with food for the first time in years. You know what? I know what I feel….I feel HOPE. Victoza has given me hope that I can do this with help. Knowing my sugars are low which means healthy…makes me worry less about what my eating is doing to me. I pray for all of you and that we all make our goals. Let’s fight this thing together.

48. Misty
    Misty July 20, 2010 at 6:58 pm | | Reply

I’ve just started Victoza and I’m so sick!! The nausea is so bad I had to leave work early. I’ve not really been hungry (I think because of the nausea). I hope it gets better. I really want this med to work! I do take metformin, synthroid and the Victoza has replaced Humalog which was a shot every time I put food in my mouth. So I hope it works!! I’ve also had a headache. This site has helped so much, thank you all for posting! My weight was 145 yesterday so maybe when I go back to the doc in a month I will have lost a good bit! Praying it works!!!!

49. Me
    Me July 21, 2010 at 5:36 am | | Reply

Hello all! Went to the endo on Fri. – today is Tues. and the results are fabulous! Down 10lbs in 1 month and he wants to see me back in 3 months – hopefully will be down 30lbs by then! I am still on 1.2 but will start the 1.8 in a few days. Still feeling a little naseau but am able to handle it with crackers. I sure can’t eat the way i used to!! I feel better but energy is still not up. (Could be my crazy work schedule right now, though) I agree with Ruth – it’s HOPE! I do have the constipation but doc said to eat more fiber – just can’t seem to get a lot of anything down. I also have lots of gas. Overall my numbers have dropped tremendously! For someone who was constantly at 200 or 300 – I have not seen those numbers at all! I know live at 90- 140. My highest has been 170. I was taking 4 mg of glemepuride (sp) and doc cut that in half because i was getting low (40-60) evening readings. Now before dinner readings are at 115 to 140! Amazing! thanks all for posting!

50. Gloria
    Gloria July 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

I’m on week 3 of Victoza in combination with 1000 mg Metformin. I normally have a various appetite. I’ve notice a significant decrease. The nauseau can sometimes be overbearing. But I’m learning to control it with oatmeal in the am; unsweetened jello for snack and sliced cucumbers in the evening. I tried to eat at 2 meals in addition to the oatmeal… It is hard though. I have lost approximately 10 lbs. Not sure if this is normal, but I’m happy about it. Adding exercise back into my daily routine. I had to stop temporarily as I got myself adjusted to the nauseau and lethargy.