1,264 Responses

1. Ruth
    Ruth January 13, 2013 at 11:29 am | | Reply

When I first began, I always took it in the AM. But after three years, I have been (for the last year) taking it before bedtime. My am sugars are low because of that and despite diet, I always seemed to have exceptionally high am sugar. I know I’d be on insulin if not for V and that would be worse – because I have lots of insulin, I just am so resistent due to weight. I also take Metformin since well, years. However, I don’t know whether anyone knows it or not, but the benefits medically of Metformin are amazing. One thing is it seems to be protecting people taking it from lung cancer among other benefits. The good and bad of any drug, including aspirn, must be weighed according to each person’s needs. I think the warnings for V were right out there and open to all of us from the getgo. My endo said “thyroid cancer and pancreatitus, cancer” So, I scan regularly and go BW quarterly. I also pray God graces my life with good health. The best to all of you. We are all in this together. Ruth

1. sue
      sue February 3, 2013 at 4:20 am | | Reply

ruth, scan for what? and also, what’s BW? thanks, s.

2. Doris
    Doris January 13, 2013 at 4:45 pm | | Reply

I been on V for about 3yrs now and I haven’t seen any different I take it in the morning and I have tryed it in the evening, I don’t have any side effect from it, I am going to try taking it at bedtime and see if it makes a different, sometimes i have stop taking it for about 2 months, I haven’t taken it now for about a month. I will start back tonight and see how my BS be in the morning.

3. kimberly
    kimberly January 15, 2013 at 8:12 am | | Reply

within 24hrs of taking V, 148, 102, second day, 102, 110, third day,138 no meds that morning, that’s the results I’m looking for. I will continue to monitor for two weeks, and report to my Dr., will keep you guys posted. Yes I had nausea, but i almost welcome that sick feeling, because I know my sugars are somewhere in check. If I can keep these readings at this level, my A1c should come down from 10.9 to………… be announced. wish me luck!

4. LAS
    LAS February 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

Has anyone had any problems with their Cortisol level while taking Victoza ? Please advise. Thank you and God bless.

5. SUSAN
    SUSAN March 1, 2013 at 6:11 am | | Reply

TIRED..BUY FOOD BUT I REALLY DONT WANT TO COOK OR EAT IT..HARD TO MAKE PLANS AND KEEP THEM

6. Penny
    Penny March 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm | | Reply

Took Victoza (.06) with Metformin (1000mg per day) for about a month. Metformin continued to make me feel terrible! Am tolerating Victoza and it has helped me with weight loss. Yesterday was taken off Metformin (yeah!) and my Victoza upped to 1.2. I am having some nausea on the new dosage, but the Victoza and Metformin lowered my FBS and BG levels to consistently around 100!

1. valerie
      valerie March 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm | | Reply

I keep reading that people have lost their appetite etc and as I have recently been prescribed Victoza, and so far I have not had any adverse effects, I was wondering how long it was before you lost your appetite and any interest in food?

7. CJ
    CJ March 21, 2013 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

I have used Byetta, had to stop, it made me to ill. I am now on V for 3 months, tolerating it just fine. I have only lost about 12 lbs. However many other people have lost at least 40 lbs, but not me. I do get the “full” in my stomach very often and I really do not want to eat but of course I have to. My BG is still up and down. One minute I am 110 and the next minute I am 185 even without eating. I also use U-500 Insulin, 12 units 2 xs a day. I cannot take any other meds. I took metformin for 6 years but my kidneys are so bad I had to stop taking that. My last A1C 3 weeks ago was 5.3.

8. Kris
    Kris March 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm | | Reply

I started Victoza and not to long after my calcium levels started rising. My Dr. did not seem to concerned. I started researching and found out about the probable cancer problems. Since I have been diagnoised with parathyrodism. Still seems not to be a real concern. Since than I have come to the realization that for myself I am weaning off victoza without my Dr. approval. I figure the concern might come in only after I develop Cancer. not going to wait for that. Taking things into my own hands. Stopping Crestor also after i developed diebetes after taking that sometimes think that im job security

9. Elinor Stickney
    Elinor Stickney April 5, 2013 at 9:27 am | | Reply

I have been using Victoza for about 6 moinths with no side effects other than appetite loss. I have not lost an y weight but am very tired all the time. I am very alarmed about the pancreatic cancer warnings since I have had two relatives who died from that form of cancer.My A1C tests are in the 6.2 range.

10. Krissy
    Krissy April 9, 2013 at 7:30 pm | | Reply

I had Victoza for almost two years, taking 500mg of metformin twice a day and 4 mg of Glimepride twice daily. I’m 5″3 and 102-106lbs, didn’t loose weight on V. A1c is 6.0 to 6.5 within this two years from 7-8.0.
    Lately, my last two blood works show my calcium level were a little higher than the normal range. On top of it I develope some peas size lumps underskin in my arms too!
    I stopped injecting the Victoza last week!

1. PC
      PC May 22, 2013 at 11:16 am | | Reply

Have you had the “pea size lumps” investigated? I have been on Victoza for more than two years and am recently finding lumps under my skin in my abdomen – not at injection sites.

2. Gina
      Gina August 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

Parathyroid nodules can appear under the arms in the arm pit area and various other places like in the throat and chest. I would also be concerned if I were you. Hopefully they will subside when you stop the Victoza. I am an RN and have been prescribed Victoza. After doing my own research, I have refused to take it. Everyone needs to make their own educated choice. I encourage you to look up Dr Peter Butler’s research on the subject of Victoza and side effects.

11. Teilussr
    Teilussr April 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm | | Reply

авы fgdfgdfgfd

12. Laura
    Laura May 3, 2013 at 6:55 am | | Reply

Has anyone experienced LOW blood pressure while taking Victoza?

1. cbrooks
      cbrooks May 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

I wish it would bring my blood pressure down. It sure seems to have a lot of different effects on different people.

13. cbrooks
    cbrooks May 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm | | Reply

I have lost 25 pounds since November. Victoza really helps keep my appetite down. My A1c blood sugar was 6.0 this time. My blood pressure unfortunately is still too high. My cholesterol however is perfect. I have been on Victoza since last May and lost a total of about 70 lbs with no discernible side effects.

14. Krissy
    Krissy May 23, 2013 at 4:49 am | | Reply

Yes, I had my doctor check them out and she said they are cysts that
    harmless. She told me to call her if I notice size change in them.

15. Teri
    Teri May 27, 2013 at 5:03 pm | | Reply

I was taking V but it made me very ill. I knew about the nausea but it didn’t get any better. I couldn’t eat because of it and when I did eat either I ate small portions or it didn’t stay in my stomach. I was taken off if it. I’m now on levemir and humolog (sliding scale). My a1c was at 12 and I find out the new numbers tomorrow. I was losing weight which I have gained back. Maybe I should be on it again. (I know not funny but its my type of humor)

1. JUDIANNE
      JUDIANNE May 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm | | Reply

I to had the same reaction as you did with the victoza… I have now been on Bydurean for the last 8 months and have no side effects at all with the exception of the bumps on the inside of my stomach which everyone gets. They eventually go away. I have lost over 30lbs so far without really trying and my A1C went from 9.7 to 7 within the first three months. I go next month for another check up. Why dont you ask your endo about Bydureon. I am sure you will like its results with no stomach upsets at all.

16. Jenny c
    Jenny c June 18, 2013 at 9:13 am | | Reply

I have been taking it for 2 weeks now and I am down 15 lbs. I have no appetite and have diarreah every 2 hours which is now painful and Raw ( but “butt paste” had eased some pain).
    I’m confuses in how I can use te bathroom so much without barely eating anything.

I had thyroid disorder which caused me to gain an extra 150 lbs over te past 10 years. I am pre diabetic and they have me metohorman and V to help with weightoss and blood sugar. I also take levothyroxin and finally have my thyroid numbers in the right range.

Has anyone had the side effects go away over time? I can’t keep this up for weight loss sake if these side effects keep hurting my social life and are painful and nauseating.

17. JUDIANNE
    JUDIANNE June 18, 2013 at 10:15 am | | Reply

JENNY.. YOU NEED TO STOP TAKING THE VICTOZA. IF YOU HAVE EXCESSIVE DIAHREAH EVERY DAY, THAT IS THE REASON YOU ARE LOOSING THE WEIGHT! IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF THE VICTOZA WHICH YOU ARE OBSIOUSLY ALLERGIC TO. CALL YOUR DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY!

18. Nicole
    Nicole June 27, 2013 at 10:57 am | | Reply

My Mother was prescribed Victoza in June of 2011 to treat her Type 2 diabetes. While she was taking this “terrible drug” she did lose a lot of weight. Unfortunately on June 26, 2012 she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. We were told it would be 7-10 days. Within 2 weeks of being hospitalized she had to have a tracheotomy and she ended up being hospitalized for 5 months, in 4 different hospitals and in 2 different states (FL & NJ). During those 5 months, her liver and kidneys failed, she had to be put on hemodialysis, she received countless blood transfusions, and in October she underwent 2 major surgeries within 1 month. After all she had been through my Mother ended up catching pneumonia on November 1, 2012 and passed away at 56 years “young” on November 10, 2012. I am convinced that Victoza caused her pancreatitis. This “terrible drug” should be taken off the market.

19. Gina
    Gina June 28, 2013 at 7:07 pm | | Reply

Nicole, I am so sorry for your loss and that you had to see your Mom go through so much pain and pass away so young. I was on V for 3 years and I have taken myself off of it, because I researched it on the Internet and saw law suits against it and medical reviews that said it should of never passed the FDA approval. While we all look for meds to help us V doesn’t out way the bad. We feel safe with it because our Endo says don’t worry about the black box, so we feel it is not to bad. But, when I went to my new family doctor she told me get off of it, the risk is to high. So now I am trying to just exercise and as always eat right. My a1c is not that bad to risk my life on V. Or anything else. Ruth, the docs test your kidney and liver enzymes. But don’t be fooled once they find something wrong they can’t help you! Your dead! So, please stop saying we know the risks and we all decide to take our chances because if you or someone gets the bad effects of V , you will think differently.

1. Gina
      Gina August 12, 2013 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

I am the same age as your mother and it is for this exact reason that I refuse to take Victoza anymore. Please go on to the FDA website and report your mother’s experience. It is the best way to gather evidence on the side effects of this drug. So sorry about your mother. In my opinion you have a right to sue the makers of Victoza.

20. Sue
    Sue June 29, 2013 at 4:01 am | | Reply

Hi All, I went on V about 3 yrs ago and thought it was a miracle drug – losing weight not to mention the drop in bs count. Although, after the first ad on TV from lawyers looking for lawsuits – I seriously had to think about discontinuing V. I weaned myself off and haven’t gone in for my blood tests yet, but hope my increased exercise and healthy eating will work. My doctor wasn’t too concerned about V – hummmmmmm??

21. kathy
    kathy August 27, 2013 at 11:41 pm | | Reply

Hi, I have been introduced to Victoza 2 times now and something tells me NOT to take it every time!! It’s a weird feeling that I have. Even though I have talked with my dr. about it in depth, and went home and called my endo with another long conversation and all the concerns about the horrible side effects. They both pretty much told me the same thing,(that it was ok to take) except my endo said to me” Kathy if your b/s were 9 or higher I would prescribe V for you but since you have better control of your b/s at 7.0 from 7.8 (at onetime it was up to 12). without the V why would you want to take something that your not comfortable with? And that made me really think about it. I am on hummalog and lantus (at night). I tell my endo that I don’t eat like I should-as a diabetic should but if I did I probably would not have to take insulin. I also take glyb/metform. So he tells me if I have room to work with my diet then why take the V?? So I am taking the pen and booklet back to my dr. tomorrow and just going to do this on my own with a better diet– the healthy way!!! Please everyone take caution on the Victoza. Even though it has been passed by the FDA I just can’t get that good feeling for it..I think something or someone is trying to tell me something. I am going to listen to my body and NOT do it. Good for all of you- the ones that have stopped taking it and bless all of you who choose to continue. Ask yourself’ IS IT REALLY WORTH THE RISK?” I pray that we can find a cure for diabetes real soon.

22. Kelly
    Kelly September 28, 2013 at 11:50 am | | Reply

I have been on Victoza, I can’t remember how long, more than a year. I have been miserable. Bloated, Nauseated I did not feel like eating. Being Diabetic, you need to eat. Healthily of course. I kept being full and not eating until low blood sugar kicked in. I hate low blood sugar, it is the worse feeling ever. How ever Victoza is giving it a run for its money. I talked to my Gastrologist (spl?). about it to get his feelings about it. I could not understand how it was good for anyone to have their digestive system slowed down so that there is a full feeling so you don’t eat, so then you lose weight! He did not really have an opinion except that my endo and colonoscopys were fine so he was not concerned. Well I began having stomach issues and my Internist finally took me off to test to see if it was the Victoza or if I had other stomach issues. I began feeling better so she told me to stay off of it. I am also not eating well for a Diabetic and am obese. My blood sugars are high and my doctor is trying her best not to put me on insulin yet. It is my turn to become responsible and work on eating better, I think she is giving me a chance, she has seen me do it before. This last visit she was talking about putting me on another medication but I happened to ask her what I needed to do with my extra V pens. She told me I could go ahead and through them a way ($$$$) or go back on them at 0.6 until through then she will p;ut me on the new meds, which she claims is similar to V but milder, whatever that means!. So I went back on at 0.6. I was having some issues before I went on it and now my stomach is all messed up again. I have been trying to find information on how you should eat with Victoza so you are not so miserable. Most of the items that i think of that would not upset a stomach are not the good carbs and am worried my blood sugars will go wacky. I have gone several days eating yogurt but feel I can not do that long.
    I agree, Victoza is an evil drug!!. Good luck everyone! Just a note, I have eaten Vegan before and lost weght. All medications were lowered. But gained it back eating crap!

23. Sue
    Sue November 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm | | Reply

I have been on Victoza for a year and a half. I have lost 79 lbs. My blood sugars were high and i was having to take insulin 100 units at night and using the fast acting insulin when eating. I am now down to a 5.5 A1C and only take 20 units of insulin at night and no fast acting when eating. I may be getting of the inslulin all together soon. My sugars stay down to around 110 all the time. A few times i have run out before being able to get my prescription and with 2 days of not taking it my blood sugars go way up.

1. Sue
      Sue November 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm | | Reply

I forgot to mention that i take metformin also 1000 mg a day.