1. Scott S
    Scott S April 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm | | Reply

I’m inclined to agree, although with video games (for boys, at least) there’s a more ongoing nature because it’s not the device itself, but the neverending stream of new games that keeps interest. My only concern is the notion that we should somehow reward “being in target” rather than rewarding the notion of testing regardless of the result. That’s a big mistake that will cause kids to cheat or lie about results; I know because I did the same thing when I was growing up. Instead, we should reward the idea of testing regardless of the result, because the information from the test can be used for valuable purposes regardless of the result. Other than that, perhaps this will have only a limited time value because sooner or later, kids will grow out of these things, but hopefully the seed of testing will be planted. But I do question the price tag; Bayer benefits from this on all sides, and they really should be giving this thing away, much like any other meter is given away … what’s with the $79 price tag?

2. Tweets that mention » My Take: Bayer’s Nintendo-Enabled DIDGET Glucose Meter Available Now - DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DiabetesMine, Susan Promislo, james biskey, Jamie Naessens, JCampbell and others. JCampbell said: DiabetesMine: My Take: Bayer’s Nintendo-Enabled DIDGET Glucose Meter Available Now http://bit.ly/bKWV8l #diabetes [...]

3. Meri
    Meri April 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm | | Reply

My boys have been glued to these devices for years…they have not lost their shimmer…not even a little bit. But I’d like to hear more about this Didget, get a better feel for it before I ask to switch over from our current one touches. I’ll be interested to hear what the kids think after having it around for a few weeks. I also agree with Scott’s comment…I don’t want any incentives for fudging numbers. I’m torn on this one.

4. Kassie
    Kassie April 26, 2010 at 7:55 pm | | Reply

Both my boys (13 and nearly 8) thought this would be cool to have. I imagine it will depend on whether or not the game(s) associated are any fun. They are DS fans but their interest comes and goes. They both have newly filled one touch scrips though, so it’ll be 3 months before we consider getting one.

5. Kassie
    Kassie April 26, 2010 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

whoops, I tried to type 8 and it ended up as a cool smiley. Though he is a cool kid…

6. Lorraine
    Lorraine April 27, 2010 at 8:00 am | | Reply

I think it all depends on the quality of the “game”. It will be good to here from some ultimate users – the kids. It certainly is an interesting idea!

7. Leighann of D-Mom Blog
    Leighann of D-Mom Blog April 27, 2010 at 8:19 am | | Reply

My question again would be: Is it Mac compatible? I didn’t see in the user guide any specifications about computer compatibility.

I believe the Bayer Contour USB meter is Mac compatible.

I would hope moving forward that companies who produce glucose meters would make them Mac-compatible so that the data can be downloaded.

As the parent of an almost-six-year-old type 1, I would love to give this meter a test drive.

My daughter likes the sticker chart we use for pump changes. Simple rewards can be a positive reinforcement. Though she rarely asks for stickers any more. But when she does…she gets one!

8. casey
    casey April 27, 2010 at 8:51 am | | Reply

As a Nintendo family, we have more Nintendo DSs than we have people in our house. I think it depends on the kids. As our niece/nephew/cousins ages 6-13 all have DSs and play them regularly…. that just might be their thing. I think it is great. I wish Nintendo would do that more. Like integrate Wii Fit with Weight Watchers so people can transmit their weigh ins online. Awesomeness. Or link up with the workout games so activity points could be calculated for you and integrated into the WW website.

I think this is just the beginning.

I also agree with Lorraine’s comment about depending on the game. The DS may be more interesting/cool to other users if they played games more targeted to their interests. There are tons of games out there and not all of them get the same media craze that the big Mario games do.

9. Mike
    Mike April 27, 2010 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Sadly, this is based on an earlier design of the Nintendo DS and not the current DSi or DSi XL. The difference is that older models used to allow players to attach really old games from their Game Boy Advance. Latest versions of the Nintendo devices lack that connection. Thus, Didget’s use is limited to older DS Lite or DS units. As a gadget geek, one of the things to fear is that the original site lacks any images of the included games, this is usually done in order to hide a bad user experience.

GlucoBoy has been available for some time in Australia and I’ve yet to come past a review of the device there. I did bother the original maker of the device about two years ago who said that there was more info coming soon. Then Bayer bought them.

For kids, I think that this might be a good thing but will reserve final judgement for when I get to play this in my DS.

Sadly, the “Play Game Now” link isn’t working so I can’t see if kids would be rewards only for good sugars vs. regular testing. Honestly, kids really do love immediate feedback loops and this might be a great way to get kids to test more regularly (or even to show off a game that their friends don’t have).

10. Mike
    Mike April 27, 2010 at 10:30 am | | Reply

This device has been out in Australia for years and it appears that Bayer brought the device up a notch by adding a reconfigured Contour meter to it. A smart idea since the strips that originally shipped in Australia used a proprietary strip that only worked with the Glucoboy. Also, it appears that Bayer improved the older user interface on the device too.

Like Scott, I would be concerned with the point system in the game since kids might choose to not test their sugar if their blood is high if that means that they’ll gain a lower in-game score. On a higher level, I do like the idea behind the device since kids are really more accustomed to immediate feedback loops about their performance and do like rewards for performance. Plus, it’s a good way to inform non-diabetics about the disease which I think is very important for all of us.

Now the sad news, the Didget only plugs into the DS and DS Lite devices which happen to be the ones your older kids used. Newer DSi and DSi XL devices will not work since they don’t have the right connector.

Still, I’d love to try one. And if Bayer can get a device like this into a mini unit that plugs into my iPhone, I’m sold.

11. karin
    karin April 27, 2010 at 10:48 am | | Reply

Uh…I want it for me and my pretty pink DS…I’m checking my BGs anyway, i might as well have fun. I think any innovation here is a bonus…a building block for iPhone plug-ins and whatnot later on. It all starts somewhere!! Now, off to Wal-Mart!

12. amitkumar
    amitkumar April 28, 2010 at 1:37 am | | Reply

Great writeup, thanks a lot was really informative.

13. Harris
    Harris May 2, 2010 at 10:23 am | | Reply

I’m concerned that the $75 price tag is high — would you pay that for a regular meter?

14. sim
    sim August 6, 2010 at 6:39 am | | Reply

I`m in total agreement with Amy on this & maybe something worthy of a
    future feature for you to consider on here.

15. Michaela
    Michaela January 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm | | Reply

We received our Didget meter a week ago. My son is very good about testing and does not need extra encouragement. But I love how he can enjoy something positive about of having Diabetes, not just the hurtful testing and needles. Our meter was free with the purchase of test strips. Unfortunately Bayer has discontinued the meter.