1. Russell Scott
    Russell Scott April 12, 2010 at 6:30 am | | Reply

I am not an expert but 12-2009 I started a no carb diet and forced myself to walk no matter how long(arthritius in left knee and partial replacement right knee). My Lantus dose was 85 units and Novolog was 15 to 25 units per meal.

I have lost 28 lbs and my Lantus dose is down to 45 units and my Novolog is under 20 units per week.

I am type 2 so this may not relate to a type 1 but the no carb portion does.

I only have 1 kidney(birth defect) so my Endo keeps a close eye on me. My last visit he asked how long can I stay on my diet. Also my A1C was 5.5.

My walking is not arobic because my knees are go bad you just have to walk.

2. Lloyd
    Lloyd April 12, 2010 at 6:45 am | | Reply

I am a T2, 16 years, with very little insulin production (c-peptide of 0.2). I am on a pump, and tried to go without metformin as an experiment. After 3 weeks, my total daily dose required to maintain good glucose control had doubled and was still going up! I decided this was not a good trade off, and resumed metformin in addition to insulin.
    If your body will adjust to it, I think metformin is a very good idea for most pwd that have insulin resistance.

-Lloyd

3. AngelaC
    AngelaC April 12, 2010 at 9:47 am | | Reply

“I think it’s important for people to understand that it isn’t about what other people to do, but to do whatever works — and is best for your own health.” — Wonderfully stated, Allison, and I am glad the metformin is working well for you!

4. Guest Posting at DiabetesMine! « Lemonade Life

[...] over at DiabetesMine today sharing my story about using Metformin. Feel free to drop by and check it [...]

5. Hans
    Hans April 12, 2010 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

The main effect of Metformin is hindering the liver from delivering too much glucose.

In a healthy person the alpha- and beta-cells of the pancreas play sort of supply pingpong. With the bg sinking below its basic line the betas lower their insulin output and the alphas up their glucagon delivery thus stimulating the liver to deliver more glucose. With the bg rising above its basic line the alphas lower their output of glucagon while the betas rise their output of insulin and vice versa on end. That way our main logistics contractor bloodstream delivers anything up to 100g of glucose and more per hour without any fluctuations large enough to make for real differences in test readings.

Type2 defect the alphas keep on dumping glucagon well beyond the bg basic line up to three times the amount and more of what can seen in a healthy person, and Metformin can hinder the liver from dumping up to 50% of what the alphas order. So where Metformin does measurably helps keeping the bg down, there is that type2 superactivity of the alpha-cells – obviously not limited to type2s.

6. Saffy
    Saffy April 12, 2010 at 2:56 pm | | Reply

I’ve been taking metformin for about a month now too and can totally relate to your story ;) I’ve finally gotten over the *stigma* (in my own head!!) about taking a perceived T2 drug for my T1 condition. I’m super sensitive to the “TMI effects” so am still building up to a therapeutical dose. But I’m willing to try anything that helps me keep my A1c down, and on a more practical level, mean less refills of my pump :)

7. The Choices « Sarahndipity
    The Choices « Sarahndipity April 14, 2010 at 6:03 am |

[...] insulin should I take? Should I pump or use MDI? Oral medications or insulin (for type 2’s)? Symlin or Metformin? But for me, the choice I’ve been having to make lately is a quintessential question every [...]

8. Marilyn R
    Marilyn R May 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm | | Reply

I believe I responded to another one of your posts. But, I too am a T1 diabetic that has over the years become insulin resistant. My insulin requirements have double from what I can calculate in less then 3 years. I started Metformin today and my numbers are looking great already and I did have a bout of hypoglycemia. This could be the Metforming already kicking in (although I have been told it takes up to 2 weeks to get the full affect) or it could be a late effect of me increasing my activety by going to a gym. I have been having issues with my GI most of the day is the only side effect so far. I think it is great you have taken the step to adjust your insulin resistance. I look forward to hearing how this works out for you.

9. Scott
    Scott September 27, 2010 at 5:56 am | | Reply

I’m a T1. I started Metformin a few months ago. At first I experienced 1. better BG control, if barely. 2. Very loose BM (I know. TMI) and 3. Trouble sleeping. This was on 500MG twice a day of normal Metformin (not time released). It took over 1 month to get over the bathroom issues, but unfortunately the problem went completely 180 and I experienced strong constipation. Basically went from bad to worse in that aspect! Now after about 3+ months, the bathroom issues have all but gone, and my sleep is finally getting back to normal. I’m also on 1000MG twice a day. I may try the time released version after my next Endo visit.

After the first 3 months, The BG control at first was amazing. And I lost about 5 lbs. But since the BG control has somewhat become a little worse again. I’m not sure if I’m resisting the Metformin, or just not doing so good in my personal control of my diabetes. Overall, I’d recommend it. My insulin use was going up and up. Since Metformin, it’s gone down somewhat.

I’m a little concerned about the other reported side effects, like heart issues. But if the BG control continues, I think it’s worth the risk. I’d recommend Metformin, just be ready for a month or two of “adjusting” to say the least.

10. Natalie Sera
    Natalie Sera December 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm | | Reply

I’m scared stiff of Metformin. My new endo suggested it, but I have fecal incontinence problems, and don’t think I could endure Metformin for a month before the problems went away.
    I have begun reduced-carbing (about 70g a day), and my insulin dose is
    30 – 40u a day — I don’t think that’s over the top.
    They say a lot of good things about Metformin — it has been used in Europe for decades, and so has a good safety record — but I think I’m going to avoid it unless it’s absolutely necessary!