1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

Jessica – I want to give you a big giant HUG. This stuff, what I often call the mental aspects of living with diabetes, is an area that is starving for help. Because of that we are so often left feeling very alone, and forced to kind of “wing it”.

I love the sounds of this project, and am excited to hear about it again. It is great to know that you are still actively working on it, and I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

If I can ever be of any help, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thank you for all that you do!

And thanks Amy! Great interview!

2. deborah
    deborah April 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | | Reply

Can’t wait see the film. My diet has been excluded as a reason for my diabetes and I have no family history. My levels fluctuate with first chemical exposures and now the pain that brought on.
    While most of the health care professionals understand. Some have been more than rude and proved wrong.
    Sadly I react severely or am allergic to all treatments.
    Good luck with shedding some light on the subject.

3. Pamela in Boston
    Pamela in Boston April 28, 2010 at 9:22 pm | | Reply

Very exciting to see all the press and attention that Jessica’s work is getting! I feel personally invested in helping this film come to fruition, so I made a tax-deductible donation — and encourage others who are able, to do so, too! (Amy included a link above).

Amy and Jessica: two women, probably somewhat comparable in age, at two different ends of the T1 spectrum – one diagnosed at age 1, and one “LADA” (right, Amy?): two women on the forefront of diabetes care and community in 2010. You both make me proud to be a T1 woman working everyday to safeguard my health and wellbeing!

Thanks,

Pamela (diagnosed at age 15, 1981 — Jessica, if you ever want additional subjects for your film…. ;-p)

4. Hans
    Hans April 29, 2010 at 1:54 am | | Reply

Looks like my part to spoil the game but if there is one thing I hate in living with D it is this kind of sweet exaggeration and over-mystification which the film looks like driving to the extreme. A healthy grownup has about 5 liters of blood running in his pipelines, and with say 80mg/dl that is just 0.8g of glucose per liter adding up to a total of 4 grams. A diabetic with reasonable so called control has double that amount running through his veins, which means 8 grams in 5 liters. Do you really think that those 8 grams in 5 liters of clear water would taste perceivably different from a sip of the healthy 4 grams in the other bucket? I bet it would even be impossible to tell much of a difference with 16 grams of glucose which would correspond to an A1c of about 10. And with 1 part of glucose binding to 5 parts of water the notion of that sort of heavy honeylike thick juice clogging the veins with a reading of 300mg/dl and more is just another misleading fake :-(

I was diagnosed with Typ2 in 1991 and have been on insulin for more than 10 years. Since I swapped controlling my bg for driving it like I drive my car about 8 years ago I have been able to produce an A1c of 4.8-5.3 on a steady basis. And I find driving my bg much easier than driving my car with all those funny animals at their wheels around here on the roads in Germany ;-)

5. Colleen
    Colleen April 29, 2010 at 8:06 am | | Reply

Wow, what a great interview. Thanks for all your work in brining these issues to light, Jessica! I’ll look forward to checking out your dissertation/book and eventually the film. And thanks for the interview, Amy!

6. Doug
    Doug April 29, 2010 at 10:52 am | | Reply

Interesting project – I hope to see it when its completed. I constantly tell people the Mental part of Diabetes is the toughest. The shots and BG testing is easy.

Hans …
    Huh ?
    Metric math aside. Its been proven many times going back centuries that insulin dependent diabetics with chronically high BG will be urinating sugar. Enough that it can be tasted. While I never tasted mine, I diagnosed myself when I noticed the sticky residue around the toilet. A1c was tested later to be 18 …

7. Dr. Dina Ralt
    Dr. Dina Ralt April 29, 2010 at 11:07 pm | | Reply

I agree with Jessican that Control is indeed a bad (“desperate”) alternative to Health. I was working on obesity which has many similarities to diabetes and in my popular scientific article, you can see an approach to health which makes “control” less required -
    “Two urges to eat”

8. diabetic
    diabetic April 30, 2010 at 9:53 pm | | Reply

Jessica my hugs to you!!! For all the efforts and time you’re putting in to make this amazing educational film we all need! It’s just so true that all of diabetics tend to accept diagnosis as simply a tragedy and that notion should change!
    And this is spot on “while with diabetes, there’s this notion that if you just take your meds and eat well, you can live a perfectly normal life. There’s no recognition of what a “different” experience diabetes actually is for us…”
    Good luck Jessica!

9. Tami
    Tami March 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm | | Reply

Dear Jessica-
    Thank you for all you are doing.
    My son is 12 and was diagnosed with Type 1 at 7. It has been a rough ride.
    I appreciate your personal insight and am very interested in your film project.

God bless you and keep you.

And added comment- Hans, when blood sugar is consistently high, esp. before diagnosis, urine that a little boy pees and misses getting into the toilet can actually look like bath salts. That’s a lot of sugar! It’s still one of my clues that he’s running high. The very sticky toilet seat. Glad your A1C is low. :)